GNamer Restaurant's Dish Of The Day: Ravio-li

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  SONMSONM  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
Hero of Time

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Thu 14 Sep 2017 - 21:20

Goodness gracious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 19:54

So I've beaten the first big boss, and have four different monsters (I will not call them Monsties) in my party, as well as a duplicate hanger-on who'll be relegated to the stables the moment I find a fifth.  It's really odd, the way they try and present murdering the monsters as an alternative and equally valid way of life.  Like if Pokémon went, 'Oh but if you want to hack Pikachu to pieces with a big sword and not bother with the whole raising "thing", that's cool too.'

But anyway, I'm having more fun with this now.  The combat's good, although I'm still not quite sure whether there are visual tells for everything, or whether I'm imagining some of them.  And I want to hatch a pig thing, but the game tells me I can't. Aww!

That said, although Nyavirou has become bearable, I still groan when the Chief turns up.  Rhyming was good in Child of Light because it fit the overall feel of the game.  Here, he just feels like some chap trying too hard to be 'alternative'.  Which would be fine, only we're meant to respect him as chief of the village, and I feel it'd be just as valid locking him up in the stables with a hungry Velocidrome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Tenderloin Minimise

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 20:35

Balladeer wrote:
It's really odd, the way they try and present murdering the monsters as an alternative and equally valid way of life.  Like if Pokémon went, 'Oh but if you want to hack Pikachu to pieces with a big sword and not bother with the whole raising "thing", that's cool too.'

I suppose this is a by-product of this being your first game in the Monster Hunter world. For me, I was more interested to see how they rationalised Riders never popping up in the main series as hunting the monsters was the only way of life known to players until Stories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Orne

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Mon 18 Sep 2017 - 1:10

Balla wrote:
And I want to hatch a pig thing, but the game tells me I can't.  Aww!

Do you mean the poogie's that you find? If so I don't blame you because they are amazing!

Just look at them!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Mon 18 Sep 2017 - 5:45

Nah, I came to terms with not having my own Poogie early on. I mean the boar-like enemies.

JayMoyles wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
It's really odd, the way they try and present murdering the monsters as an alternative and equally valid way of life.  Like if Pokémon went, 'Oh but if you want to hack Pikachu to pieces with a big sword and not bother with the whole raising "thing", that's cool too.'

I suppose this is a by-product of this being your first game in the Monster Hunter world. For me, I was more interested to see how they rationalised Riders never popping up in the main series as hunting the monsters was the only way of life known to players until Stories.

They did that fairly easily, I thought, by isolating the Riders in their village. I don't think it's to do with it being my first game though - I knew what the main meat of the series consisted of. It's just the way a village that bases its way of life around looking after monsters is completely okay with them being slaughtered for fun and profit elsewhere. I loathe hunting in real life, I'd expect someone in the village to feel the same way.

Not that I'd expect Capcom to question the morals of the main series; but in not doing so, it has to put up with the resulting dissonance.
Back to top Go down
Drunkalilly
Pokémon Master

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Mon 18 Sep 2017 - 13:37

I ASSUME YOU'VE LISTENED TO OUR SPECIAL PODCAST WITH JOE SKREBELS WHERE WE DISCUSS THIS MORALITY, YES?

Anyway, the world is very much a hunter/ gatherer, barely able to farm society where monsters kill people all the time. Even in Stories, the Monsties are hatched from birth, and wild monsters are still a genuine threat that needs dealing with. I don't think you'll meet anyone more opposed to modern hunting than me, I nearly cried at a birds of prey sanctuary yesterday during a presentation on how poaching is wiping out the vulture, but in the Monster Hunter world it isn't callous sport but a dangerous and necessary fight for survival.

You know your character is using a monster to kill other monsters, right? Like they use a sword as well, you're doing the same thing as a hunter, you just have a buddy helping you out.

JayMoyles wrote:
And just think - a little over a year ago I'd never played a Monster Hunter game before. Shocked

I'm so proud of our Jay Grin
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.gintendo.co.uk
JayMoyles
Tenderloin Minimise

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Mon 18 Sep 2017 - 19:50

Balladeer wrote:
Nah, I came to terms with not having my own Poogie early on.  I mean the boar-like enemies.

Read if you've reached the second big area or if you're not fussed about some early-game monster appearance spoilers:

Drunkalilly wrote:

JayMoyles wrote:
And just think - a little over a year ago I'd never played a Monster Hunter game before. Shocked

I'm so proud of our Jay Grin

I'm still convinced Guesstus Flask was a long con to get me to play Monster Hunter.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Mon 18 Sep 2017 - 20:10

Don't worry, I've reached that area. Pig success! Grin Also...

Rare-ish second area monster:

Drunkalilly wrote:
Anyway, the world is very much a hunter/ gatherer, barely able to farm society where monsters kill people all the time. Even in Stories, the Monsties are hatched from birth, and wild monsters are still a genuine threat that needs dealing with. I don't think you'll meet anyone more opposed to modern hunting than me, I nearly cried at a birds of prey sanctuary yesterday during a presentation on how poaching is wiping out the vulture, but in the Monster Hunter world it isn't callous sport but a dangerous and necessary fight for survival.

You know your character is using a monster to kill other monsters, right? Like they use a sword as well, you're doing the same thing as a hunter, you just have a buddy helping you out.

Maybe I don't know enough about the wider series lore, and probably never will. The only bit I've actually played is the MH4 demo., which was heading out into a monster's territory f'ra laugh with yer cat buddies to chop him/her up. It's probably more subtle than that. Subtle like a penis dragon.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Tenderloin Minimise

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Mon 18 Sep 2017 - 20:21

Balladeer wrote:
Don't worry, I've reached that area.  Pig success! Grin Also...

Rare-ish second area monster:

Well...:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   

Back to top Go down

Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5