We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DEATH

Go down 
+5
Crumpy Andy
Treesmurf
JayMoyles
Balladeer
ZeroJones
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: DEATH   DEATH EmptySat 24 Oct 2015 - 9:40

Inspired by a small Twitter discussion Jo and I had about me dying lots on Super Hexagon and Affordable Space Adventures (she found me playing the level that made me switch from 'Hard' to 'Easy' one morning Embarrassed ).

Dying in videogames - or reaching a state where the game demands that you start again, because what is 'dying' in Tetris, for example? - has existed as long as games themselves. How many times do you think you've died in your videogaming career? What game have you died on the most? What was the last game you died on? Am I asking too many questions at once? Tongue
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySat 24 Oct 2015 - 10:19

What a title! Applause

I'm quite cheaty when it comes to dying, often quitting rather than experiencing a game over. But the game I've died the most in has to be one of DKCR and DKCTF. Those bastard games, luring me in with their cutesy appearances, then kicking me while I'm down! DAMN YOU!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySat 24 Oct 2015 - 11:58

Recently, Super Meat Boy had me raging because of how many times I died. There's no difficulty level to change either - I had to just keep playing until I either beat the game or threw my controller.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySat 24 Oct 2015 - 13:49

A lot! I'm one of those gamers who gets very determined so I'll often rinse and repeat certain tough sections until I complete them, most recently certain missions on MGS V have been the cause of many a gaming death and even though I don't technically need to do the missions for "story completion" a part of me won't let it lie.

Strangely some of the 3D Sonic games have been a source of a lot of gaming deaths for me, I don't think they're known for being particularly tough so I just mustn't be very good at them.

Reading this has given me an idea for some sort of game the forum could play, the premise being that everyone gets a set number of lives in order to see how far they can get. This could be on one game or even spread over a selection of games that everyone owns, the dilemma being do you gamble on getting through one game at a time and risk using up your set number of lives or have a few on the go and attempt to get as far as possible in each, would anyone be interested in this?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySat 24 Oct 2015 - 14:10

That sounds like an awesome idea Smurf.

I'm another too stubborn to quit, however in recent times I'll try and hit somebody up for some multiplayer if I'm totally stuck as I only get worse at the game the more I die.

Most recent death would probably be from a large fall in Assassin's Creed Syndicate. Woops!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySat 24 Oct 2015 - 16:36

Treesmurf wrote:

Reading this has given me an idea for some sort of game the forum could play, the premise being that everyone gets a set number of lives in order to see how far they can get. This could be on one game or even spread over a selection of games that everyone owns, the dilemma being do you gamble on getting through one game at a time and risk using up your set number of lives or have a few on the go and attempt to get as far as possible in each, would anyone be interested in this?

Colour me intrigued!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySat 24 Oct 2015 - 19:43

I die a lot... like Smurfy, I don't like to quit a game. That said, unless I'm really invested I'm normally happy to skip most non-essential stuff. One major exception is Mario games, where I always like to get 100% even if it kills me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySat 24 Oct 2015 - 20:06

Treesmurf wrote:

Well up for that. Yes! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySat 24 Oct 2015 - 20:09

Not one for me thanks - I'm crap at games and that would embarrass me no end!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 1:39

Good thread!

If I count individual carts on Monster Hunter then that'd be the most deaths in a game or it'd probably be Balla's favourite Dark souls. Winky Face My recent death(s) were in Wolfenstein: The new order as I tried to stealth a certain section and proceeded to be mowed down with bullets by 3 - 4 Nazis.

---

I'd be well up for Treesmurfs game as well.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 9:37

I die loads in games, because - like Smurf, Drunka et al - I don't know when to stop playing. Yoshi's Island on the SNES probably has one of my highest death counts, as I tried to 100% it. After that, Zelda II when I was a kid. I definitely carked it over 100 times.

And of course
DEATH Darksouls_610
"You have to be patient al rol -"
"FUCK YOU" *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *dead*

I'd also count losing in a tournament in FIFA as "dying" as our learned post creator points out. It feels cheaty to reload e.g. a quarter-final.

This "game of lives" idea's interesting also!
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 9:54

Jimbob wrote:
I'd also count losing in a tournament in FIFA as "dying" as our learned post creator points out. It feels cheaty to reload e.g. a quarter-final.

I do that aaaaaaaaaall the time. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 12:46

This reminds me of a question that was on a recent videogamer podcast where someone asked what game would you play if your actual life depended on it? Meaning if you die in the game you die in real life. (No cheating and picking a game where you don't die)
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 12:54

Blimey, that's unreasonably intense! Afraid So I escape with my life if I beat the game without dying? If so, Super Mario Bros. 3 would be my best shot of getting out of there quickly. Link's Awakening would be second favourite, though I do die on the first boss about half the time. Meh
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 13:05

The_Jaster wrote:
This reminds me of a question that was on a recent videogamer podcast where someone asked what game would you play if your actual life depended on it? Meaning if you die in the game you die in real life.  (No cheating and picking a game where you don't die)

Man, that's tough. The game I know best is Jak and Daxter, but there's some tricky areas late in the game where I'd likely die. I'd probably pick an RPG - so long as I grind, I'd make it out alive.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 13:27

ZeroJones wrote:
Blimey, that's unreasonably intense! Afraid So I escape with my life if I beat the game without dying? If so, Super Mario Bros. 3 would be my best shot of getting out of there quickly. Link's Awakening would be second favourite, though I do die on the first boss about half the time. Meh

Aye we'll allow that but does it continue upon your next game selection?

JayMoyles wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:
This reminds me of a question that was on a recent videogamer podcast where someone asked what game would you play if your actual life depended on it? Meaning if you die in the game you die in real life.  (No cheating and picking a game where you don't die)

Man, that's tough. The game I know best is Jak and Daxter, but there's some tricky areas late in the game where I'd likely die. I'd probably pick an RPG - so long as I grind, I'd make it out alive.

Cue you dying to the tiniest mob ever while grinding. Laughing

----

As for my pick? It'd probably be Super Metroid as the only real danger is from the bosses so I could happily go explore for all the upgrades I can before facing any boss.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 13:40

JRPG's a good shout - Pokémon, perhaps? Grind the hell up before I fight anyone.

Alternatively, Animal Crossing. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 13:51

balla wrote:
Alternatively, Animal Crossing. Winky Face

Well....

Jaster wrote:
No cheating and picking a game where you don't die.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 13:53

I like Smurfs idea,

On Jas's question maybe Fable as I've finished it quite a few times and I can just go live in village and not actually go save Albion.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 14:47

I'm assume one has to complete the game before Jigsaw let's them go, otherwise it's a bit moot.

Probably mario kart, any one from ds onwards. I can confidently beat every cup on every cc without restarting.

If the game has to literally have "death" rather than "failure", one of the 3D marios might be okay for me on a good day.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 15:02

Drunkalilly wrote:

Probably mario kart, any one from ds onwards. I can confidently beat every cup on every cc without restarting.

With rubber-banding and blue shells... I don't fancy your chances. Razz
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH EmptySun 25 Oct 2015 - 16:36

The_Jaster wrote:
balla wrote:
Alternatively, Animal Crossing.  Winky Face

Well....

Jaster wrote:
No cheating and picking a game where you don't die.

Bah! Bah I say! What about being bitten by a tarantula/scorpion/stung by bees? Winky Face

Alright then: Trials & Tribulations. I reckon that any primarily story-based game's probably pretty easy to ace if you know it well enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DEATH Empty
PostSubject: Re: DEATH   DEATH Empty

Back to top Go down

DEATH
Page 1 of 1