We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!

Go down 
+9
masofdas
JayMoyles
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
OrangeRakoon
Athrun888
Crumpy Andy
Dead Lemon
Balladeer
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 9:42

The Retro Sub-Forum Award for Best Virtual Console Game

Fifth Place:

Also Fifth Place:

Fourth Place:

Third Place:

Second Place:

First Place:

Failed to Place:

My Own Thoughts:

Please vote in Stage 2.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 10:06

Big up to EarthBound (though it reminds me of how DQIX got into the Top Ten DS Games at tenth, on the strength of two first places and no other votes Embarrassed ) and a worthy winner, naturally. The VC has faltered a bit on Wii U but that is only down to the great start it had on the Wii. Having save states and GBA/DS games (did anyone vote for any DS games?!) has been great, though. Thumbs Up!

Here's to GC games for Christmas! Winky Face
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 10:20

Aye, the Wii U Virtual Console has, on balance, been worthy of a dishonourable mention. I thought that it was a success on Wii, and I don't think it's unfair to have expected Nintendo to build upon it with the Wii U. The GBA library is a very strong addition, but more is lost without the Neo Geo, TG16 and especially the Mega Drive libraries.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 10:43

I didn't have room to mention that in my comments, but I completely agree there.  With a few more big-hitters, especially N64 and Gamecube games, the Wii U VC could have been something special.  It's not.

That said, the GBA games are one of the few things the VC has done right. Some blinders in there.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 11:25

I think that Nintendo believe that there's more money to be made out of GameCube games at retail. I thought it was a no-brainer for them to develop a few New Play Control/HD ports that bring in the GamePad, plug a few gaps in the release schedule, and charge £35 for them. They've done it already with Wind Waker HD, and they're doing it with Twilight Princess, so why wouldn't they have updated more of the others? Maybe not Pikmin and Mario Tennis again, but perhaps the likes of Super Mario Sunshine and Thousand Year Door - they'd be really popular on a console where the alternatives are Animal Crossing amiibo Festival and Devil's Third.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 14:02

The The_Jaster Award for Best Visuals in a Wii U Game

Fifth Place:

Fourth Place:

Third Place:

Second Place:

First Place:

Failed to Place:

My Own Thoughts:

Please vote in Stage 2!  Deadline's tomorrow (and some of you have jobs)!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 14:56

I think the fact that the top five are all first-party efforts proves that Nintendo know how to get the best out of their own console. The few hours I've spent with MK8 are a testament to the fact that the Wii U can churn out some gorgeous looking games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 15:20

If nothing else - and of course there's plenty of 'else' - this generation has shown that Nintendo can do HD. And we all agree, too! Grin
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 16:03

Balladeer wrote:
Also would really appreciate a (l)ink to some excellent Splatoon music!

One of the great things about Splatoon's music is how some of it is based on different genre's of music like metal & reggae, dance etc but in it's own unique style.

Here's some of my favourites:

Eight-legged advance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuIYqJfx4nY

Seaskape - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTpLJyt47U4

Tentacular circus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyaQVewmIZw

Cephaloparade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIY3c5G78P4
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 16:40

The fact that two games with first place nods didn't even make the list should shut up any naysayers who complain about the Wii U's lack of graphical heft. Mario Kart, a well-deserved winner, is the best looking game on any machine right now.

Shout-out to whoever mentioned Mario Maker, great points made there!
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 17:01

Just saw Jas' Splatunes. Surprised to see mostly single-player stuff, all very gamey. I'll have a pop at doing my own picks at some point, maybe over in the music thread.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 19:32

The_Jaster wrote:
One of the great things about Splatoon's music is how some of it is based on different genre's of music like metal & reggae, dance etc but in it's own unique style.

Here's some of my favourites:

Cheers for that Jas!  I'm afraid that only cements my original opinion: while the soundtrack is definitely "interesting", that doesn't make it pleasant to listen to - for me, natch.  But then, my taste in everyday music also tends to avoid a lot of those genres.

In a similar vein, I completely disagree with the SMM nomination, because my "love" for pixel art is well documented.  I'm never going to appreciate an 8-bit Wiggler as much as... almost anything else on the list, really.  But that's the subjectivity of taste for you!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 19:37

Drunkalilly wrote:
The fact that two games with first place nods didn't even make the list should shut up any naysayers who complain about the Wii U's lack of graphical heft. Mario Kart, a well-deserved winner, is the best looking game on any machine right now.

Shout-out to whoever mentioned Mario Maker, great points made there!

That's debatable as I voted for Child of Light in my Top 5 which is a completely different look to MK8 then something like Forza 6 is going for ultra realistic.

This and the sound votes are the most subjective ones of any of the votes.

Also catching up with these, some good picks.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 19:46

Balladeer wrote:

Cheers for that Jas! I'm afraid that only cements my original opinion: while the soundtrack is definitely "interesting", that doesn't make it pleasant to listen to - for me, natch. But then, my taste in everyday music also tends to avoid a lot of those genres.

In a similar vein, I completely disagree with the SMM nomination, because my "love" for pixel art is well documented. I'm never going to appreciate an 8-bit Wiggler as much as... almost anything else on the list, really. But that's the subjectivity of taste for you!

I knew that was coming to be honest & you'll soon be battling andy for most grumpy person on the forum. Razz

---

Also I think those songs work much better when you're playing as the up tempo beats drive you forward into the battle, I certainly wouldn't listen to them like normal music but I don't tend to do that with any game OST anyway.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 7:57

The Wii U Bargains Thread Award for Best eShop Game

Fourth Place:

Joint Fourth Place:

Third Place:

Second Place:

First Place:

Failed to Place:

My Own Thoughts:

Please please please vote in Stage 2.

Last edited by Balladeer on Mon 14 Dec 2015 - 20:24; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Hidden Machines! Wait...)
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 10:09

The eShop has arguably been Nintendo's biggest success this gen and this rather strong top five underlines that. I'm kicking myself that I didn't at least give an honorary mention to Affordable Space Adventures, dangit.

Also, I found that I've owned more eShop games than retail games. Shocked I'm thinking of that as a good thing. Grin
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 12:31

Thomas Was Alone was robbed of a Top 5 placing especially seeing a lot of the forum has played it.

Last edited by masofdas on Mon 14 Dec 2015 - 17:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 17:07

A very solid list of games but I'd personally have SK ahead of Guacamelee and I'm surprised Runbow didn't place higher.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 19:53

The_Jaster wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

Cheers for that Jas!  I'm afraid that only cements my original opinion: while the soundtrack is definitely "interesting", that doesn't make it pleasant to listen to - for me, natch.  But then, my taste in everyday music also tends to avoid a lot of those genres.

In a similar vein, I completely disagree with the SMM nomination, because my "love" for pixel art is well documented.  I'm never going to appreciate an 8-bit Wiggler as much as... almost anything else on the list, really.  But that's the subjectivity of taste for you!

I knew that was coming to be honest & you'll soon be battling andy for most grumpy person on the forum. Razz

To be totally honest, I agree with Balla re: Splatoon's OST. It's interesting in what it does, but it doesn't tickle my musical tastebuds (earbuds?) in the same way that some of the others on the list do.

In regards to the eShop list - it's a worthy list indeed! Guacamelee was a really charming game with a cracking soundtrack and one I really ought to go back and 100% one day, and Shovel Knight was a real blast from the past. Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 20:08

That's my stage 2 votes in.

---

Jay wrote:
To be totally honest, I agree with Balla re: Splatoon's OST. It's interesting in what it does, but it doesn't tickle my musical tastebuds (earbuds?) in the same way that some of the others on the list do.

You's two clearly aren't fresh. Thumbs Down...
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 20:10

I quite like the music in Splatoon, it just works. Thomas Was Alone wasn't robbed. It's an incredibly average game.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 20:10

The ZeroJones Award for Best Use of the Wii U's Special Features in a Wii U Game

Fifth Place:

Fourth Place:

Third Place:

Second Place:

First Place:

Failed to Place:

My Own Thoughts:

And that's yer lot for Stage 1!  Now a brief break before we start Stage 2.

Please vote in Stage 2!  Even if you haven't voted in Stage 1, you can still do it!  There's still time!  I might even allow a (brief) extension!  Who knows?  Not you unless you vote!  Pleeeeeeeeease!

Last edited by Balladeer on Mon 14 Dec 2015 - 20:20; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 20:19

Crumpy Andy is back as TWA is utterly fantastic and I would have a guess at Zero was the other to also see that.

On the best of the Wii U features, you've listed Scribblenauts twice Balla.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 20:22

The temptation to only give it one point for never coming out in the UK briefly got the better of me. Razz

The_Jaster wrote:
Also I think those songs work much better when you're playing as the up tempo beats drive you forward into the battle, I certainly wouldn't listen to them like normal music but I don't tend to do that with any game OST anyway.

Ahhhh, that's where we differ greatly.  In my mind, a good piece of music is good outside the game and great in it.

Also, I've realised that I did myself a disservice in my previous post on the subject: I've been listening to the free SSB4 CD, and it's got lots of different genres in there (slanted towards rock because fighting game).  The big thing is, they're all melody focussed.  I can't be doing with base and percussion-focussed tracks, not at all.  They belong "in da club" and nowhere else!

PS: I forgot some HMs from the eShop vote, apologies! Embarrassed They're now in there.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 20:27

It's not grumpiness, TWA is a fine game, it's just not as special as it's made out to be. It's a decent puzzle platformer with a somewhat interesting narration (that gets kinda tired towards the end).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!   The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Chuffing Mental Third Anniversary Wii U Voting Thread: Thanks For Playing!
Page 5 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next