Inking, Not Thinking

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  SONMSONM  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Simply the Best

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
Drunkalilly
Space Ark Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Mon 9 Jan 2017 - 22:19

Looking at my shelf, I see wooly Yoshibo alongside the two McDonalds Yoshis. The first is a really nice little model . . . the second is the stuff of nightmares.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.gintendo.co.uk
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Mon 9 Jan 2017 - 22:20

I think that requires a photograph Sir Lilly!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Jimbob
Raging Pedant

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Mon 9 Jan 2017 - 22:48

Aye! I don't remember the McDonalds toys and am far too lazy to Google them. Cheers Mr. P for getting this up and running again! I think my opinions are similar to all y'alls:

OWOWOWOW
I never got past world 2 of Yoshi's Island DS - the "collect everything and get 100%" worry came in, and with all the shitty babies, it was unbearable.

MBUNG
Yoshi's Story was cute, but I don't think I ever appreciated the mechanics of the game. It felt like a weird experiment to me.

BIBONG!
I actually really like Yoshi's Wooly World - it was a tad derivative, but the art style can't be beat. And when they released the wooly Yoshiibo... AND NOW THERE'S A POOCHY AND NOW THERE'S A POOCHY AND NOW THERE'S A POOCHY
But the bestest, as everyone who counts has said, is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. I'll be honest and say that, unlike Super Mario World, I can't specifically tell you about all of the levels (I may have played this a bit too late; way into the N64's lifespan) but I do know there was so much Crazy Shiz going on. The fact that all of the levels had distinctive subtitles, as they all had an original concept, makes it a win win winner.
I still think Super Mario World's better though
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jimbobsonofriber.tumblr.com/
Drunkalilly
Space Ark Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Mon 9 Jan 2017 - 23:15

Admittedly, it's not as bad as I remember, but going from
pretty nice little figure:

to
single lump of plastic with wheels in oversized feet:

is a bad progression.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Tue 10 Jan 2017 - 7:02

They're not that bad, but yes, the first one's better.

Jimbob wrote:
AND NOW THERE'S A POOCHY AND NOW THERE'S A POOCHY AND NOW THERE'S A POOCHY

Jimbob makes an excellent point.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Toad

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Tue 10 Jan 2017 - 9:45

Drunkalilly wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
I hate Yoshiís Island DS because I shortened it to its initials and got told off for being anti-Semitic. †That is my strongest feeling about the game.

HAHAHAHA! I'd not even noticed that. As a Tottenham fan, it's a word I've come to associate with a sense of pride, despite having literally no Jewish roots at all.

Shocked How did I not know you're a fellow Yoshi's Island D?? Damn. I'm still buzzing from the win against Chelsea (my wife and all her family are Chelsea fans). Grin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masofdas
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Tue 10 Jan 2017 - 16:38

Unsure on where to place Yoshi, Cookie and Safari as I've played them all but not got much to say about them.

Joint 3rd Yoshi's New Island and Yoshi's Woolly World both seemed okay but nothing special

2nd Yoshi's Story, I always quite liked the charm of the game

1st Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, is not only the best game with Yoshi in the title its also THE BEST 2D MARIO game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drunkalilly
Space Ark Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Tue 10 Jan 2017 - 17:23

gjones wrote:

Shocked How did I not know you're a fellow Yoshi's Island D?? Damn. I'm still buzzing from the win against Chelsea (my wife and all her family are Chelsea fans). Grin

Born and raised. #COYS #YAFL

Yeah, I have a lot of Chelsea-supporting friends and it was very fun Smile That said, I didn't manage to watch much of this one but I watched all of the last Chelsea game. Whistle
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
Pokťmon Master

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Mon 16 Jan 2017 - 20:01

I'm back - back like heck. Cool

There are lots of Yoshi games out there that I've not touched, so I have a genuine Top Five. And that Top Five kicks off with:

5) Yoshi: there are so many good puzzle games on the NES that there was no reason to spend any time on this crapfest at the time, let alone in Space Year 2017. The risk/reward mechanic is too slight to carry this over the line... or even halfway round the track. To be avoided.

4) Yoshi's Story: I strongly suspect that I haven't given this enough of a chance. The end came too soon and I didn't enjoy the lane-changing thing it had going on.

3) Yoshi's Island DS: the next game that dared to take the mantle of a Yoshi's Island, the DS game had some interesting ideas but was a pale imitation of the mighty SNES original. The change in babies kept my interest a bit but it felt broken in places.

2) Yoshi's Woolly World: the best use of amiibo on the Wii U, almost totally unchallenged. The actual game is a bit of a collectathon and doesn't really introduce anything new barring being THE CUTEST THING YOU EVER DID SEE (wait until the 3DS version demo arrives this week, though...). There are worse ways to spend your time, though.

1) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island: the king. If there is ever a Yoshi game that betters this masterpiece, we will be lucky gamers indeed. Just enough to collect, see and do, with just the right amount of elements to keep you marvelling at each level that comes up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Cappuccino Kid
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Mon 24 Apr 2017 - 21:36

Fast RMX has been receiving a lot of kind words as of late. Fair enough: it's quite good. But there's no escaping the fact that it's a tribute act to F-Zero. That's all it is. It doesn't stand alone. F-Zero is the real deal, natch.

F-Zero GP Legend struggles to leave much of an impression, to be quite honest. Itís got all-new circuits, a good variety of multiplayer options (at least for the time) and a big massive storyline, but the tournament mode is piss-easy until the very end. Conversely, the storyline missions can be brutal Ė like, F-Zero GX brutal. You can live with that stuff though, if you can be arsed with the memorisation that it needs. What puts this at the start of this list is that the game very badly lacks a personality of itís own. The Mode 7 design and graphical tricks have all been seen before, the tracks use the same gimmicks as previously, and as a result it all comes across as a bit of an expansion back for Maximum Velocity. †Itís a wee bit flat, if you ask me.

Maximum Velocity was the game I bought with my GBA back in 2001, and I thought it was a load of old bollocks. Fair enough, it was a good illustration of what the GBA could do on day one (in that it was just like a mini-SNES), but I was used to F-Zero X, and this left ancient by comparison. No joke, I punted it as soon as Electronics Boutique opened the next morning. Looking back, that was a bit of a shame, as technically and mechanically itís quite a good racer. I bought it again years later and got quite good at it, and I found it to be fairly rewarding once I was able to show off my skill. I picked it up again back when the Wii U was truly dying on itís arse, around four days after it launched in 2012. And, again, Maximum Velocity was quite good Ė still as playable and quick as I remembered. Iíd say give it a go.

Iím struggling to say much about F-Zero on the SNES, as Maximum Velocity and GP Legend took so much from it. Itís still a good game - ticking a lot of the boxes for what I feel gaming should be all about - but what stands out for me the most is the soundtrack. Seriously, itís one of the best ever.

I wish I liked F-Zero GX more than I do. The visuals, the sense of speed and the insane track design absolutely make it a game to be played. But, for me, itís just far too punishing. The difficultly curve was really severe from the start Ė imbalanced to begin with, before getting beyond the bounds of possibility sooner rather than later. As much as I wanted to stick with it, it wore me down eventually, and left me questioning what the point of keeping playing was. That what pisses on my chips. Everything about this is amazing, but itís painfully unfair. Iíve tried a few times over the years, but the result is always the same: I get frustrated, and go pick up an arcade racer thatís ultimately a more enjoyable use of my time, like OutRun 2006 or Rage Racer. You canít get good at this, surely?

F-Zero X is the best futuristic racer of all time, of course. Stick Fast RMX up your arse. Wipe your arse with Wipeout. F-Zero X is king. The handling, collision and track design is nigh on perfect, and the game runs so quickly and so smoothly. The X-Cup is brilliant, and the multiplayer even better. It's one of the best Nintendo games ever - firmly in my top five for sure.

Last edited by The Cappuccino Kid on Mon 24 Apr 2017 - 21:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Note: Didn't play that Climax GBA game or F-Zero AX. Did play Theme Park World though - that's a good game, buy that.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroJones
Pokťmon Master

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Tue 25 Apr 2017 - 5:57

I only have an opinion on F-Zero. It looked amazing in its day and still has bags of super retro charm to this day. And the Cappa-mentioned soundtrack is sublime - the original Mute City theme remains one of my favourite pieces of music in a game. As for the game itself, I am slightly less keen. I managed to get hold of the controls enough to beat it on the Wii U (oh precious save states, those friends of gamers like myself) but I stopped having fun a couple of cups in. It's hard, man - really demanding. I'm not really built for speed, as any MK8 section on GNamer Videos Games can tell you.

Still wouldn't mind seeing it make a return in some form. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gjones
Toad

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Tue 25 Apr 2017 - 6:52

I've not really played the sprite-based entries so I'll chime in with my thoughts on the two 3D entries.

I suspect F-Zero GX is super difficult due to SEGA releasing an arcade version around the same time. F-Zero AX is amazing and although I've only played it once (and this was over 10 years ago), I can see why they made the game so brutal. The fact that they put a career mode in to GX is a nice touch and I did enjoy my time with it (and highlighted a rich universe of wacky characters); but it wasn't the difficulty that I struggled with in GX. You see, there's this little mode called DEATH RACE in F-Zero X which is incredible and it still boggles the mind why it wasn't in GX. If it was there, GX would be my favourite F-Zero.

DEATH RACE should be its own game. There should be an F-Zero: Death Race game with season mode and online multiplayer. F-Zero X without Death Race is still a nippy racer, but the risk/reward of spinning your ship on a side-less stretch of floating tarmac is similar to the sensation of a Burnout takedown if you knew you'd have to restart the race if you mess up. It's a shame it was just a bonus mode, because that mode alone makes F-Zero X one of my favourite racers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drunkalilly
Space Ark Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Tue 25 Apr 2017 - 10:56

I haven't played all the sprite-based F-Zeros, as they really churned them out on GBA, but I'll discuss what I've dabbled in.

F-Zero
Had this on virtual console and played a fair amount when I wasn't in the mood for anything newer and more complicated. It's a nice enough little racer and I'm sure it blew minds on release but without any kind of multiplayer it felt pretty pointless to me.

F-Zero Maximum Velocity
One of the first GBA games I owned and I still have the cartridge knocking about. Going from juddery Pokťmon games on my original Game Boy to this nearly made my brain melt out of my nose and although it was a bit too difficult for young Luke to handle, I have fond memories of sleepovers at Rich's house with multiple GBAs hooked up by link cables.

F-Zero X
Never owned an N64, but played loads of this on Wii VC with the lads. It's fast, it's fun, it looks . . . adequate. I like it for what it is but the N64 looks, the lack of CPU opponents in split-screen, the absence of story mode all leave it in second place to . . .

F-Zero GX
You guys are bonkers, this game is the tits. It looks sublime, it moves faster than Trump can renege on a promise and it handles perfectly with that gorgeous Gamecube controller that melds with the hand and makes man and machine one and the same. Multiplayer blasts on this when my Gamecube was new knocked everyone's socks off. I've actually got two copies here in my flat: my own, which I recently got back from a friend, and Muss', which he challenged me to beat Story mode on.

So yeah, this is a hard game. Well I'm a bald man, and I love a good challenge. Ten levels that demand perfection, that's entirely doable and I believe it has made me much better at racing games generally. The cups and that are all there as well, and while they get pretty bloody challenging at higher difficulties, they're fun enough stuff.

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Fast RMX has been receiving a lot of kind words as of late. Fair enough: it's quite good. But there's no escaping the fact that it's a tribute act to F-Zero. That's all it is. It doesn't stand alone. F-Zero is the real deal, natch.
Stick Fast RMX up your arse. Wipe your arse with Wipeout. F-Zero X is king.

I'd just like to point out that Fast RMX is actually really bloody good. It handles well, it moves at an incredible lick, and the visuals and lighting and stuff are all on point. We played for more than 4 hours last night and had a whale of a time, crates of fun. It just doesn't quite have the character of an F-Zero game. There's no cast of wacky drivers, no memorable tunes and locations, and the announcer isn't anywhere as charmingly over the top.

Come on Ninty, give us F-Zero NX.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Orne

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Tue 25 Apr 2017 - 12:46

Only ever played the sprite based F-Zero's & GX very briefly before I had to return it to the shop only because I was short on cash at the time, I'm going to look into buying a copy of GX soon I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Tue 25 Apr 2017 - 22:26

F-Zero. †The franchise that took my limited reaction speed and rubbed my face in it. †Oh sure, I could still 'git gud' if I was willing to memorise the tracks, but I've got better things to do quite frankly. †I'm going Maximum Velocity because it had none of the accepted racers in, X because it did, and then GX because as well as being pretty it was amusingly bonkers... but at the same time, since it was as hard as a Tory Brexit, I cheated my way through the game and can't regret it for a second.

I've found the entire series more frustrating than fun to be honest, and while I'd love to see F-Zero NX, that's more because I know how much you chaps want it. †I know what I'd do - rejoice in its existence, pick it up, play it for a fortnight, and have to put it down again before I give myself an aneurysm. †But it'd be awfully pretty in the meantime.

Oh and Beast Man 4lyfe yo.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 11:30

I've played F-Zero on SNES but years after release that by that time their was better games like this. I don't think I've played the one of the N64 or any of the others part from F-Zero GX which was a excellent game from SEGA and of a few reaming GameCube games I want to pick up for my collection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Simply the Best   

Back to top Go down

Simply the Best
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8