We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Retro hits the UK High Street

Go down 
+3
ZeroJones
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Retro hits the UK High Street Empty
PostSubject: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 5 Jul 2016 - 17:44

As we all know gaming has been changing over the past few years with Mobile taking of so much Nintendo & Sony are looking at it, downloading game to consoles have become a big deal with PlayStation bringing in $4.8 billion of Digital last financial year and a $432 Million total Nintendo has brought in thanks digital.

We also know how the Xbox One what was originally planned for the console and the talk in recent months from EA, Ubisoft etc about how gaming will go all digital which for EA you can play lot of their games already digitally with a sub to EA Access and this just isn't gaming, I reckon most of have at least used something like Netflix to watch a film.  

Now in the states GameStop have been doing retro for a while in some stores and online, I'm not sure if they're good or bad for prices as I don't know much about the American retro market. But clearly GameStop doing Retro and even publishing games now, are looking to expand they're business.

Over here in the UK on the high street for retro is mainly independent game shops, the local one to mine recently posted about how physical game sales are down which they put down to downloading games. They asked about what else they can do with various suggestions like figures, comics etc along with trying to expand on retro.

As the title of this thread suggests someone else has looked at a way to expand they're business and that's CEX whom seeing they deal in used goods. If the PS5, Xbox Two and NXS are digital only, it would be a bad thing for CEX and the like.

Away to combat this is by doing Retro and this past week, CEX have expanded from just PS2, Xbox, Cube, PSP and DS to now to buying and selling Nintendo 64 stuff with future plans to I guess do everything.

On prices, when they went live on the CEX site evething was rather high for what they would sell for and what they would give you for it, now the prices are far more sensible. I don't know if it was a glitch or something when it went up or was to get in stock in as soon as possible by offering high prices.

But now prices for something like Ocarina of Time (Mint) they will give you £11 cash or £16 trade and they sell it for £25. Looking on eBay you would be looking at paying around £25 which does mean you could sell the game for £21.25.

Which bolds the question is this a good thing or a bad thing? Are you likely to buy or sell to them? Do you think GAME as GameStation did it and their American Brethren as well, will look at the retro market?

Personally, I like that I might be able to find more retro in the wild but I'm not sure if it will drive prices up as looking at my GameCube Collection some games like BG&E they sell for £25 but give peanuts but then some they give a decent price that if I was looking for a easy way to sell then there £425 for the lot would a good option instead of the hassle of eBay can cause. I can see others thinking like that.

I'm going to be curious to see what my Dreamcast collection value is when they put that up.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 5 Jul 2016 - 18:16

Was that the 1k report that Balladeer asked you for? Bloody hell.

Anyway, this is what mas was talking about: https://uk.webuy.com/search/index.php?sortOn=sellprice_desc&stext=*&section=&catid=1030

Snowboard Kids 2 with a trade in value of £297 there. Too right I'm digging out my copy of Deep Cover Gecko and punting it for £49. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 5 Jul 2016 - 18:21

I was just giving context on why they maybe doing it, instead of just a link going look N64.

The last Mint copy of GEX went for £122 Cappa on eBay, even with fees you would still get £103.70 if that is the value of the game as it's hard to base it off one copy of the game selling.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 5 Jul 2016 - 18:56

It is about time stores started to stock 'further back' again - I miss proper Gamestations in that respect. I doubt it'll start a massive trend - GAME need cash, now! - but it's good to see.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 5 Jul 2016 - 20:54

Yeah, I do miss being able to pick up or at least browse through older games when popping into a games store. I'm up for this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 5 Jul 2016 - 20:58

We have a nice independent chain near us and they buy and sell a bit of everything. It will be nice to see more of that sort of thing. I love popping into a shop and seeing obscure gems, rather than just seeing rows and rows of the same Xbox and PS4 games.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 5 Jul 2016 - 21:01

That's the same independent chain I bring up which the owner talks about looking for other things to sell as the current generation, is sort of stagnant due to digital but only issue they find with retro is the good stuff goes to peeps like me and you for instance which might just want to play a odd retro game, doesn't good a look in and there left with the crap as well.

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 5 Jul 2016 - 21:07

Oh, I kinda skipped your post as it was a bit long Balladeer
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 5 Jul 2016 - 21:13

But but this is GNamer and we all the words.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 5 Jul 2016 - 22:07

masofdas wrote:

The last Mint copy of GEX went for £122 Cappa on eBay, even with fees you would still get £103.70 if that is the value of the game as it's hard to base it off one copy of the game selling.

That's completely mental. I got it for a fiver in Gamestation less than a decade ago, and thought nothing of it. That's completely mental.

On the plus side, all this chat has encouraged me to see if there's any retro games shops near me, and it turns out that there's one just a mile away from me. If only I'd known that before now - I've been living here for almost two years!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 5 Jul 2016 - 22:38

Oh god, Cappa's "yesterday I bought" posts are going to get even more infuriating!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyWed 6 Jul 2016 - 5:27

I got a Virtual Boy for £15 from GameStation when retro started to die out for them. I would think this retro shop you have found will be the correct prices that I doubt the yesterday I bought thread will become more infuriating but of course Cappa could take his £5 bought GEX and likely get near that £49 from CEX at this indie place

So it's going to be this is what I found in a charity shop and then traded in to get this from Cappa.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 19 Jul 2016 - 20:20

I spoke to a guy in CEX today whilst trading in some bits, and he said that they would be doing Dreamcast stuff in the near future.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 19 Jul 2016 - 20:27

From the press release awhile ago, it's sounds like everything will be done at somepoint.

My local CEX had Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye, not a lot but it's a start.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyWed 20 Jul 2016 - 19:06

I was surprised to see some boxed stuff in my local CEX earlier - Pilotwings 64, Turok 2, Wave Race 64, Snowboard Kids...amongst other things, they even had a boxed official Expansion Pak. Surprised and impressed! The unboxed stuff wasn't too shabby either, with the likes of Goldeneye 007, Banjo-Kazooie and Castlevania there. I can't help but think that this has all come from one person though, who just found out that they could punt their 'old, worthless' games for a wee bit of cash.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyWed 24 Aug 2016 - 9:44

My two locals haven't had much but I did get my N64 from them alos they have a big sign saying we take retro, but when I asked about the PS1 games I had they were like just N64 & SNES for now, yet you have a big sign saying we take retro.

But today I've seen whilst looking on the CEX site, they've added Neo Geo Pocket Color of all things. I'm a big NGPC fan but seems a odd one to do, if I was CEX I would have added the big systems first then add the odd ones.

What's next the Jaguar?
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyWed 24 Aug 2016 - 11:14

masofdas wrote:
My two locals haven't had much but I did get my N64 from them alos they have a big sign saying we take retro, but when I asked about the PS1 games I had they were like just N64 & SNES for now, yet you have a big sign saying we take retro.

But today I've seen whilst looking on the CEX site, they've added Neo Geo Pocket Color of all things. I'm a big NGPC fan but seems a odd one to do, if I was CEX I would have added the big systems first then add the odd ones.

What's next the Jaguar?

They seem to be going for systems that have increased in value. The PS1 has its fair share of valuable games, but for the most part, it's not a system they can make a lot of profit from. They would end up with a load of FIFAs for 10p, which I imagine they already can't shift from their PS2 libraries. The CEX near me have cut down on CDs too, so they may be moving their focus towards being video game centric (more than they already are).
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyFri 26 Aug 2016 - 8:51

When talking to the guy when I got the N64, they are planning to do PS1 & everything. I doubt they will do everything but starting with some big hitters & valuable systems make sense a clearing out CD's to make room for retro also makes sense.

Stock levels, is always going to be the worry as someone that buys & sells retro, I go to a shop that does retro or go online and surely other people do this as well, whats going to make them go CEX unless it's like Capaa said I can't help but think that this has all come from one person though, who just found out that they could punt their 'old, worthless' games for a wee bit of cash. Who've seen in-store how much its worth and got rid.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyMon 24 Oct 2016 - 19:00

We're a couple of months removed from CEX starting to stock N64 stuff, and the decision definitely seems to be drawing some traction - I've seen quite a lot of different games on sale in a few different stores across Scotland. Has anybody been buying anything up?

I've bought a few N64 games myself, as in a number of instances I think that they're selling the stock for some genuinely reasonable prices. Fair enough, you'll not catch me paying £52 for an unboxed Mario Party 2, but some of the less popular third-party stuff can be had for a fiver or so. That's all right!

I've started to see SNES stuff too, and a couple of days ago I was told by a sales assistant in Ayr that they're going to be retailing NES and GBA hardware and software imminently. Lo and behold, I seen a GBA in the window of CEX Aberdeen when I was walking past it today. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 25 Oct 2016 - 12:44

Just saw some SNES and N64 games in the local CEX. Diddy Kong Racing for £15; I've never played it before... anyway, great to see the old games again. In fact, there were more SNES games than GameCube games! Shocked
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 25 Oct 2016 - 14:53

I picked up my current N64 in a local CEX, neither of the two close have has much retro and I don't know if that's due to retro stores around and people that known about retro games, not just some dude clearing out his attic, still go to them.

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyTue 25 Oct 2016 - 17:20

TCK wrote:
I've started to see SNES stuff too, and a couple of days ago I was told by a sales assistant in Ayr that they're going to be retailing NES and GBA hardware and software imminently. Lo and behold, I seen a GBA in the window of CEX Aberdeen when I was walking past it today. Thumbs Up!

Good news indeed! I've been looking to pick up a few more GBA games but I can't really be bothered to search online for them too much so this does help.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyWed 26 Oct 2016 - 11:42

Some decent prices on GBA games there, although you do need to be careful with fake GBA games (especially Pokemon ones). It's certainly interesting how they have acquired so much stock so quickly.

If they start selling Dreamcast then they're going to need to have some sort of quality scale (like they have with phones), because you'd be pissed off buying a game for £30 online and it turns up with a broken case.

Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyWed 26 Oct 2016 - 21:45

It's not too difficult to spot fake GBA games, in my opinion - the label, the pins and the text inside the cartridge (up across from the pins) are usually what I'd look at first as they can be dead giveaways. I'm not sure how much your average CEX sales assistant would be arsed with looking at all of that though. Still, it's surely got to be a safer bet than buying online (which is a proper 50/50 gamble).
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street EmptyThu 27 Oct 2016 - 15:55

@gJones Saturn stuff could be worse

On fakes it can be hard to spot some times and I'm pretty sure my copy of minish cap is fake box, real manual and real American cart but I'm not 100% sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Retro hits the UK High Street   Retro hits the UK High Street Empty

Back to top Go down

Retro hits the UK High Street
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next