We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Genre Burnout and I need more of that

Go down 
+8
Athrun888
Balladeer
Crumpy Andy
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
Buskalilly
ZeroJones
masofdas
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Genre Burnout and I need more of that Empty
PostSubject: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyWed 13 Jul 2016 - 10:40

This was brought up by Andy and Me in the game your playing in the PS3/4/V thread after Cappa posted about DOOM, I liked the demo but I felt it was okay and I'm burnout out on the FPS and not lot of the FPS games I've played in recent year come close to some of the best in the genre and even looking at the FPS games coming it's like urghh.

Looking on Wiki, I think since the year 2000 I've played 155 FPS games which is almost 10 year which is awful lot. What about you what game genres are you going urghh not another of them and any you wish their were more of, for me I think 3D platformers would be something we need more of.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyFri 15 Jul 2016 - 17:04

A lot of the games in my backlog, as well as the 3DS games I most want that are coming soon, are RPG's. These games take a lot of time to get into and get through, and I'm concerned that they're overtaking my gaming life.

Having said that, the other two genres I most enjoy - platformers and puzzle games - tend to be shorter, so I'm almost naturally playing RPG's more...
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyFri 15 Jul 2016 - 17:28

I don't play a huge number of games, and I force myself to alternate through various genres and formats and things. I haven't had a lot of burnout yet, apart from unnecessary open worlds. I was burned out with them after my first Ass Creed, though...
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyFri 15 Jul 2016 - 19:40

I guess for both of you it's one format or late to multiformat as I know you've only started recently shooting the dudes in Halo, Drunka that some genres may still seem more fresh.

Even RPGs on 3DS, Balla says is nothing to compared the DS.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptySun 17 Jul 2016 - 22:08

DOOM is the first FPS game that I've sat down, committed to and properly played since Goldeneye 007 on the N64. It's just not a genre that I typically enjoy. I've tried loads of stuff - like Perfect Dark, Metroid Prime, Halo Reach, and even stuff like XIII and Black - but I don't ever get into it. DOOM is just really good fun.

~

I'm completely, utterly and totally burned out on RPGs. It's a genre that's been made in excess for years now - there's far too many that are being developed and published at the expense of good quality sports, racing and fighting games. No harm could be done if everybody just gave them a rest for a few console generations, at least.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptySun 17 Jul 2016 - 23:22

TCK wrote:
I'm completely, utterly and totally burned out on RPGs. It's a genre that's been made in excess for years now - there's far too many that are being developed and published at the expense of good quality sports, racing and fighting games. No harm could be done if everybody just gave them a rest for a few console generations, at least.

YASS!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 9:17

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:

Whilst I'm going to disagree with some of this (no new RPG's for ten to twenty years seems a but much for those of us who are fans of the genre) it would be nice to get a few more sports games on the market, at least, alongside some arcade-y racing games. There must be new spins on both those genres that could be done by now, and it's not as if sports is a tiny genre, with football, tennis and golf all having great and numerous games in the past.

Don't know if you mean scrolling beat 'em ups or one-on-one beat 'em ups ( Embarrassed ) but there's definitely room for the former. The latter is a genre I tend to play one or two of per generation - with the exception of Smash, natch.

Last edited by ZeroJones on Mon 18 Jul 2016 - 16:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 9:22

I think I would lose most of my love for gaming if we dropped RPGs. I think we get more than enough Fighting & Racing games as it is, maybe a few more fun sports titles needs making (like Rocket League) but there's certainly enough Sport Sims.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 9:46

Utterly unsurprising to see Cappa and Jas bringing up RPGs, but I don't think you can say you're burnt out on a genre you dislike to the point of hardly playing. I may as well say I'm burnt out on FPSes, serious sport titles, or serious racing sims, despite having not played any of them since a FIFA in the early days of the Wii.

...although that said... Embarrassed

...even I think there have been a few too many JRPGs on the DS and 3DS. I get that they're easy to churn out on less powerful consoles, but there are simply boatloads of them. I'm not burnt out, because it is basically my favourite genre, but there could be a bit more genre variety (and if I see another ridiculously be-cleavaged anime girl wearing enough clothing to cover a small dinner plate on a 3DS box I will scream). On home consoles, though, the same does not apply. And skipping an entire genre with a heck of a lot of fans for a generation is a mince suggestion.

Onto what I'm actually burned out of: 2D platformers. Especially (probably mainly) on Nintendo consoles. Planet Robobot feels like, if not the last straw, then one that made the camel turn around and spit in your eye.

Games I'd like to see more of: 3D exploratory platformers, Metroidvanias that last more than ten hours, Zelda-likes, and (yes) JRPGs on home consoles. Haven't played one this gen. apart from XCX. But my view is massively skewed from my two-console perspective, natch.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 10:49

Yeah I can agree Balla, RPG's aren't genres you play often and I think Cappa & Jas are talking JRPG's along with the sub genres which they do barely play, I do wonder there thoughts on Western RPG's like a Mass Effect & Fallout if that's a different tune.

Sorry Balla but your two system perspective does skew the JRPG genre as you look at the last gen of PSP, PS3 and now with VITA, PS4 they've got plenty of the genre as PlayStation gets the most support out of Japan, you just got got to look at the next few months which includes the two big hitters Final Fantasy and Persona.

But I do agree with Cappa on sport games as where is my Tennis game this gen, I do feel they're plenty of racing games maybe not full on arcade ones but who makes them as let's say you did scrap JRPG's for 3 years would you really want Compile Heart making a racing game.

Fighting and beat 'em ups are two different genres Zero, and as Cappa said fighting I'm thinking we've got loads of them on PS4 alone you've got (not counting sport ones like UFC) over a dozen by the end of this month when KOFXIV comes out. That I'm honestly not sure if we need more fighting games.

Am surprised more part from Balla don't want 3D Platformers as in till recently with likes of R&C and the kickstarter of Yooka hasn't been a great deal.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 12:58

The_Jaster wrote:
TCK wrote:

YASS!

I hate to utterly slaughter your JRPG hate mongering parade but remove JRPGs and you're just going to get more of this!

The devs and publishers making JRPGs and ignoring sports (and rightly so given how utterly brain numbing most sports are!  Winky Face ) won't stop doing that without the rpg genre, they'll find other even more niche audiences instead!  Do the two of you want to be responsible for cursing the world with more underage groping games!?  DO YOU!?

*Ahem*

And in direct contrast to the above, I say we need less sports games!  

Wait, wait, hear me out, it's not just mindless hate (tempting as that would be)!  

Back when the ps360 gen started the world saw the rise of the insidious monster known as DLC, or downloadable content.  What has (very predictably) morphed in to a means to cut content from a game to sell at or near launch was originally pitched as a means of expanding games after their launch without flooding the market with updates that really didn't deserve or need to be sold as a full blown game.  

Lets look at the average sports game.  Yearly update, marginal new content, and floods stores with games that literally just become yet more land waste after a calendar year.  

Point is, down with yearly sports games, up with yearly DLC expansion packs and comprehensive new Sports games every three to four years!  

As for what I think we need more of, I'm going to possibly shock people here and not say JRPGs.  No, on the contrary I'm quiet happy with the amount we see across the various systems on a yearly basis, the floodgates have long since been pulled closed and we are left with a manageable and decent consistent stream without the influx of complete mediocrity of the PS2 era.  

What I think we need more of, is superhero action games.  The good ones that is, the ones developed by actual quality dev teams with proper backing that aren't just rushed out the door to tie in to a movie.  

These games used to exist.  We had a few good Spider-man games on the PS1 and gamecube, and in recent times we've had outright critically acclaimed titles in the Batman Arkham series.  Think of the potential that isn't being tapped!  Imagine an Iron Man game with amazing flying around the city!  Imagine a fully realised Captain America game with combat that revolves around the shield!  Imagine all of the insane things that could be pulled off in a proper X-Men game!  

Sony has the right idea by putting Insomniac on a proper AAA Spidey game, but there is still so much potential out there for a genre that has shown enough to prove it could be absolutely amazing with actual effort!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 13:02

Doki Doki Majo Shinpan 3 LGI.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 13:15

masofdas wrote:

But I do agree with Cappa on sport games as where is my Tennis game this gen, I do feel they're plenty of racing games maybe not full on arcade ones but who makes them as let's say you did scrap JRPG's for 3 years would you really want Compile Heart making a racing game.

SEGA need to pull their finger out of that blue hedgehog-shaped arse and deliver some arcade racers. Failing that, a new Burnout is desperately needed.

Also, good shout Balla on the Metroidvania lasting more than 10 hours. I adored Steamworld Dig and would have loved to keep playing that game for hours and hours, even through DLC. By the time you get all of the cool power-ups, the game ended Sad

Agree with the sentiments towards sports games that aren't sims. Stuff like SEGA Soccer Slam, SSX and the lack of Mario sports games on console (I'll pretend Ultra Slam didn't exist) is a shame. Again, SEGA give us a new Virtua Tennis you clowns.

I'd like a new Def Jam Vendetta style game, perhaps using a different franchise. I'd also like a new Destruction Derby game.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 13:17

Balladeer wrote:
(and if I see another ridiculously be-cleavaged anime girl wearing enough clothing to cover a small dinner plate on a 3DS box I will scream)

Today on Nintendo Life.

Genre Burnout and I need more of that New-scream-gif-577

I'd take some more (good) genuinely fun sports games.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 13:27

Athrun888 wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:
TCK wrote:

YASS!

Lets look at the average sports game.  Yearly update, marginal new content, and floods stores with games that literally just become yet more land waste after a calendar year.  

Point is, down with yearly sports games, up with yearly DLC expansion packs and comprehensive new Sports games every three to four years!  

This is starting to happen, with the latest Pro Evolution Soccer offering the Euro 2016 content (literally just a different tournament mode) as digital DLC - or free to those who owned PES 2016. I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA adopt this stance for the 2018 World Cup. But then, those that buy FIFA or PES tend to plough hundreds of hours in to them - I know I do.

There is a need for more sports games, just not sports sims. Saying that, I'd love a good in-depth golf game, or a new snooker game. There's not been a proper snooker game in over five years. Mas has highlighted how there's been no tennis games this gen. It seems sports titles like the classic Tiger Woods or Mario Strikers are being turned in to unique cross-genre titles like Rocket League and Dangerous Golf.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 16:37

WOW! Nice that most of GNamer didn't take that as a joke. Laughing also I do play RPGs just not certain types because I don't get on with them.

athrun wrote:
I hate to utterly slaughter your JRPG hate mongering parade....

Hate mongering parade? That's a great one Laughing , some of my favourite games of all time happen to be RPGs.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 16:50

If most of the community don't get that something's a joke... it means you've mucked up the joke. Balladeer
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 17:05

True, I just find it a bit odd when any RPG (new or old) is discussed on here me & TCK are always lumped together as "Oh they won't like this" I feel I'm open to every genre. I just like games. Smile

Sorry my one word upset you's so much. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 17:15

I ain't mad, and to be fair I think Athrun's response was at least partly tongue-in-cheek (especially the bit you've quoted).  But you've also spoken in the past about your dislike of turn-based battle systems (at least those where you can't affect actions), and there's nothing wrong with that, but it does lead me to assume that you won't like a game with turn-based battle systems.  So when you're speaking out against RPGs, or quoting a post speaking out against RPGs, I'm thinking mostly JRPGs (I know you love Monster Hunter whatever that's classed as) and I'm not surprised by it.

Happy for you to pre-order the new Final Fantasy game and prove me wrong. Razz
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 17:21

I could do with less open-world sandbox games, personally. Ubi's been churning them out for years and years now and it's mind-boggling that what should be one of the most freeform type of games is actually so goddamned formulaic. I'm glad to see Ubi taking a year away from Assassin's Creed - I've not played one to completion since III. I like the genre, don't get me wrong, but I think there needs to be a bit of a fresh take on things. MGSV felt pretty fresh, for one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 18:12

Balladeer wrote:
I ain't mad, and to be fair I think Athrun's response was at least partly tongue-in-cheek (especially the bit you've quoted).  But you've also spoken in the past about your dislike of turn-based battle systems (at least those where you can't affect actions), and there's nothing wrong with that, but it does lead me to assume that you won't like a game with turn-based battle systems.  So when you're speaking out against RPGs, or quoting a post speaking out against RPGs, I'm thinking mostly JRPGs (I know you love Monster Hunter whatever that's classed as) and I'm not surprised by it.

Happy for you to pre-order the new Final Fantasy game and prove me wrong. Razz

Also in the past along side my dislike of turn based battles I've also stated that many of the worlds in (J)RPGs interest me, games like Dragon quest & Golden sun come to mind so it's not outright hate for the genre which is what I seem to get labelled with on here at times.

Though I guess I take a bit of that blame since I've played up to it at times. *shrugs*

Zero wrote:
Whilst I'm going to disagree with some of this (no new RPG's for ten to twenty years seems a but much for those of us who are fans of the genre) it would be nice to get a few more sports games on the market, at least, alongside some arcade-y racing games. There must be new spins on both those genres that could be done by now, and it's not as if sports is a tiny genre, with football, tennis and golf all having great and numerous games in the past.

There's been a bit of a resurgence when it comes to arcade sports/racing games recently, the two I'm most interested in are Drift stage & Super arcade football. (Not sure if that last one is coming to consoles though)
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 19:27

Unsolicited advice? Best Dragon Quests are IX and V, although you are talking all menu, all the time with both. I'm playing Golden Sun and I don't really get what the fuss is about. Meh

Jas wrote:
Zero wrote:

There's been a bit of a resurgence when it comes to arcade sports/racing games recently, the two I'm most interested in are Drift stage & Super arcade football. (Not sure if that last one is coming to consoles though)

Steam, eh? Last night Jo asked me why I hadn't gotten an XBone or PS4 and I said it was because I'd grown up with Nintendo when Micro$ony wasn't an option.

DIGRESSION ALERT: I didn't say "Micro dollar own-y", because that would have been silly.

I said if I was going to explore another system, it would be PC, meaning Steam. It looks like there's lots of great little games popping up on there all the time, including those more arcade-y sports and racing games. Of course, this may well be a case of 'the grass is always greener on the other side'; there are plenty of throwaway footy games on mobile that I wouldn't touch with Peter Schmeichel's reach.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 19:41

I only played the last Golden Sun, which was apparently the worst in the series. Certainly played like it. The graphics were pretty for a DS game, and that's the only positive I can level at it.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 20:21

I don't have much time to play things nowadays, so I don't really have time to be burnt out on genres that I have been playing. I'd say I'm technically temporarily done with big sandbox adventures - when I've finished Fallout 4, I don't want another "big'n" until Zelda next year.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that EmptyMon 18 Jul 2016 - 21:10

ZeroJones wrote:
Unsolicited advice? Best Dragon Quests are IX and V, although you are talking all menu, all the time with both. I'm playing Golden Sun and I don't really get what the fuss is about. Meh

Jas wrote:
Zero wrote:

Steam, eh? Last night Jo asked me why I hadn't gotten an XBone or PS4 and I said it was because I'd grown up with Nintendo when Micro$ony wasn't an option.

DIGRESSION ALERT: I didn't say "Micro dollar own-y", because that would have been silly.

I said if I was going to explore another system, it would be PC, meaning Steam. It looks like there's lots of great little games popping up on there all the time, including those more arcade-y sports and racing games. Of course, this may well be a case of 'the grass is always greener on the other side'; there are plenty of throwaway footy games on mobile that I wouldn't touch with Peter Schmeichel's reach.

Do it. I recently picked up a laptop with a decent enough graphics card to play your 360/PS3 stuff in hi-res. Can probably play some of the recent games too but not stuff like Doom or Witcher 3. Discovering games like Portal and Tomb Raider is great, particularly as they are so cheap in the Steam sale (unfortunately just finished). I've not been a PC gamer since the days of Theme Hospital and Need for Speed II, but with an Xbox 360 controller to hand, there's simply so much to play. Also, downloaded PCSX2 (PS2 emulator) and currently playing early PS2 games such as Rumble Racing. Dreamcast emulator that works great too.

I now know why a good PC and a Nintendo console is the ideal setup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genre Burnout and I need more of that   Genre Burnout and I need more of that Empty

Back to top Go down

Genre Burnout and I need more of that
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next