Do The Mario Over 36 Years In The Music Thread

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  SONMSONM  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Old Magazine Chat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gjones
Rude-Faced Mii

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Thu 29 Dec 2016 - 23:12

Mas if you really want to play them, could always emulate them or buy them on the Wii Virtual Console?

I'm looking at playing through a few "best games ever" candidates next year (such as Final Fantasy 6 that you mentioned elsewhere) and will likely just buy/download a digital version.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masofdas
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Fri 30 Dec 2016 - 20:13

I'm not sure if they are on the VC as I posted elsewhere what I could find that I could play with out spending a fortune and on systems I own as I'm not emulating unless a official emulation eg Virtual Console.

I know Master of Darkness is on the Wii VC and the 3DS VC, due the style of the game I think I'd sooner play on a 3DS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroJones
Tenderloin Minimise

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Fri 1 Sep 2017 - 17:18

Everything old is new again, with the announcement that a new issue of Super Play is being made, complete with cover art from Wil Overton. Bundled with this month's issue of Retro Gamer; I reckon it'll have unusually high sales figures. I will do everything within my power to get hold of a copy. Can't wait... and yet must. DAMN YOU!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gjones
Rude-Faced Mii

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Fri 1 Sep 2017 - 23:05

I subscribe to Retro Gamer and was pleasantly surprised to hear this. They covered the SNES Mini games last month so I wonder whether this looks more in depth at the original reviews.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The_Jaster
Space Ark Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Sat 2 Sep 2017 - 14:48

Well up for getting this as it has a great bunch of folk working on it including Greener & Chris Schilling.

https://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/super-play-returns-with-retro-gamer-172-2/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Cappuccino Kid
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Mon 4 Sep 2017 - 19:41

What's everybody's of Super Play? Online, it seems to be held in even higher esteem than N64 Magazine, which itself was better written than The Holy Bible. I've never actually read a Super Play - I didn't get my first gaming magazine until Summer 1997 and my first issue of N64 Magazine until Christmas that year.

On a side note, that issue of Retro Gamer goes on sale five years to the day that the last Nintendo Gamer came out. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jimbob
Yoshi

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Tue 5 Sep 2017 - 21:49

I also missed Super Play, having for some reason started off on Total! magazine, even at the point where it became literally almost unreadable. The Japanese aspect seemed a bit "much" for me at the time; N64 of course was a different matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jimbobsonofriber.tumblr.com/
ZeroJones
Tenderloin Minimise

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Tue 5 Sep 2017 - 22:37

I won a subscription to Super Play when I won a competition in Digitiser where you had to say what you wanted to see in the then-upcoming Yoshi's Island.

DIGRESSION ALERT: In a short time I will have been alive for four hundred and fifty months.

I remember saying I wanted to see "a move away from the outdated concept of a time limit". The point is I might be biased. Wink Super Play was a lovely read. There was the sense of it being something different, with its gorgeous covers and anime/manga coverage in addition to really delving into the import scene. Further bias may occur when you consider that it covered the SNES, still my favourite Nintendo console. Add in skilled writers talking about magical games and you have something pretty special.

Big fan. Grin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   

Back to top Go down

Old Magazine Chat
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2