Three Houses? How many avocados are Intelligent Systems not eating?

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Old Magazine Chat

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Sheegoth

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Sun 3 Jun 2018 - 18:56

Here's the premiere issue of Official PlayStation 2 Magazine, cover-dated December 2000 and costing £4.99 (£60,000 in 2018 money):

This is the first console launch that I remember well. My brother and I were really fortunate that our Mum randomly pre-ordered a PS2 for us a good nine months before it's November 2000 launch, so we were able to saunter into Electronics Boutique on launch day and pick one up, whereas absolutely nobody else I knew could. Of course, with the console, you buy the magazine at the same time. "Welcome to the future":

As with Official PlayStation Magazine before it, you basically bought this because of the demo disk. To kick off, they gave you a shot of ISS and Wild Wild Racing. Hmm. Not a great showcase for the new machine, it has to be said:

All your usual previews, features and insight is here, with lots of focus on the brand-new hardware. It was an exciting time to be a PlayStation gamer, and while I wasn't wild for the launch games, the magazine did a brilliant job of highlighting how much quality stuff - future classics at that - were oncoming in the next year/year-and-a-bit.

Of notable interest is this interview with Hideo Kojima, who was busy directing, writing and producing Zone of the Enders, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters:

Onto the reviews. They give out a couple of 9/10s for SSX and Timesplitters, a handful of 8/10s for Tekken Tag Tournament, Silent Scope and ISS, and loads of 6s and 7s, left, right and centre, for stuff such as Smuggler's Run, Ridge Racer V, Aqua Aqua and Fantavision. These reviews surprised me, to be honest - they're truthful, fair-minded and right-thinking, and not really influenced by being shiny new games on shiny new hardware. I really should have read these reviews, rather than just bin the magazine after getting the demo - from this impression, they seem like a pretty good writing team!

Just the one baw-bootin' this issue, a totally unjust 2/10 for a Gradius collection. Acht! I just complemented the magazine for being fair and just - they're just ripping the pish with this review.

The PSone even got two page round-up devoted to it, which was fair enough, as it was still going strong in the UK and it was only a small amount of coverage in a reeeeeeeeally big magazine. Really, this is an amazingly meaty publication.

More meatiness, with reviews of DVDs, films out at the cinema, and some very 2000 albums. Quite an interesting array of films here.

To round it off, there's a behind the scenes feature about the making of the magazine. Even as a twelve year old, I thought making a games magazine looked like a piece of piss. Just me?

That's that!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JayMoyles
Prince of Altea

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Sun 3 Jun 2018 - 19:03

That's a nice looking magazine and definitely seems, as you put it Cappa, a "meaty" read. I think the punting they gave to that Gradius collection is a bit harsh, but I think that's a relic of the times in that anything not shiny and new for the console gets a bit of a booting. A modern review would probably put a fairer take on it, I'd say.

I had a few issues of OPS2, but much like yourself Cappa, I bought it solely for the demo disc!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
Disciple of Reggie

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Mon 4 Jun 2018 - 20:31

'words everywhere'

Looks jam-packed indeed. Not sure all of that content is good, mind: look at that slavering over the new machine on page two. At least N64 et al. made their slavering entertaining! Also, 3/10 for Pokémon the First Movie? 'Choking to death on Haribo Fun Mix'? That's my childhood you're being wrong about there, son!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
gjones
Cooltrainer

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Mon 11 Jun 2018 - 21:17

These are from the first volume of NGamer's look at all Nintendo console games (up until April 2008):

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Reggie

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Mon 11 Jun 2018 - 21:24

The Mario Parties are the best ones, natch. Good work sir!

Every Nintendo console game though!?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Prince of Altea

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   Mon 11 Jun 2018 - 23:25

Those Mario Party snippets are classic NGamer. Brilliant. Applause
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Magazine Chat   

Back to top Go down