We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo

Go down 
+8
Jimbob
ZeroJones
Crumpy Andy
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
Balladeer
masofdas
Buskalilly
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo Empty
PostSubject: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 4:44

Umm . . . what? Lovely art style though.

Last edited by Drunkalilly on Fri 9 Mar 2018 - 10:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 5:19

The game is from the Bravely Default team which is cool.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 5:21

masofdas wrote:
The game is from the Bravely Default team which is cool.

Yeah, I guessed as much when they showed that picture of them in the pub. Very similar art.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 6:41

One for the Cappas and Jasses of this world. Grin

Looks potentially grand, much though I'm no fan of retraux art styles. Anything from the Bravely boys is good with me. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 7:25

Balladeer wrote:

Looks potentially grand, much though I'm no fan of retraux art styles.  Anything from the Bravely boys is good with me. Thumbs Up!

I almost fell asleep during the rpg bit of the presentation. Laughing
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 7:50

I'm guessing the name is hinting at a branching storyline - the trailer voiceover was suggesting as much, at least.

The art style is unique enough to get me interested, so I'll be watching this space closely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 7:57

JayMoyles wrote:
I'm guessing the name is hinting at a branching storyline - the trailer voiceover was suggesting as much, at least.

...less interested than I was now...
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 8:08

It doesn't dissuade me at all (because I'm not allergic to choice in video games Winky Face ) - in fact, it actually has me even more intrigued as I can't recall a Squeenix RPG which didn't have a linear storyline. I'm probably missing something obvious, of course.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 8:42

Chrono Trigger? I mean it's Squaresoft instead, but y'know...
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 8:43

Yeah, fair shout! Still, most Squeenix RPGs don't afford you choice in their stories, so I'll be interested to see how this one pans out. I'm purely speculating at this stage as it could end being as linear as the first twenty hours of Final Fantasy XIII. Laughing
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 18:46

The_Jaster wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

Looks potentially grand, much though I'm no fan of retraux art styles.  Anything from the Bravely boys is good with me. Thumbs Up!

The section where they announced, like, eight RPG's in a row? I love RPG's, me, but even I thought that bit sagged. Sad

That said, totally up for this. The art style made me wince a bit until they got to the battles; then I was like, "Oh." Ready for this.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 19:24

ZeroJones wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

The section where they announced, like, eight RPG's in a row? I love RPG's, me, but even I thought that bit sagged. Sad

That said, totally up for this. The art style made me wince a bit until they got to the battles; then I was like, "Oh." Ready for this.

It was a Japanese conference but like I posted in the old Switch chat, Japan are getting behind the Switch and will hopefully see more of games like this better or for worse depending on who you are.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 15 Sep 2017 - 7:45

I tried some POT this morning - Project Octopath Traveller, that is! Dance Cool :joker:

The two characters that were mentioned in the recent Direct trailer - Primrose and Olberic - are both playable in the demo. I chose Primrose, mostly because that was the real full name of Rosie cat. Sad

DIGRESSION ALERT: Comedy in paragraph one and tragedy in paragraph two! Where will this spellbinding storyteller transport us next?!

It's stunning, to the point that the 2D sprites look a bit out of place against the gorgeous diorama-esque backdrops. It's also spending a lot of time establishing the world: I saved 23 minutes in and was in direct control of Primrose for maybe four of them? The rest: dialogue. Haven't even had a battle yet. Aww! Hopefully the chats can give way to spats before too long. Thumbs Up!

Anyone else downloaded this? Anyone? Anyone? Balla? Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 15 Sep 2017 - 19:24

I'm downloading this just now! Don't know if I'll ever have the impetus to play through it, but I love the aesthetic so I want to spend some time in the world.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 15 Sep 2017 - 20:18

This demo. is one of the increasing number of things I'd like to try, but probably won't get around to. Backlogitis has struck in the Balladrome...
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 15 Sep 2017 - 20:27

This is why I am single by choice and not at all lonely.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 15 Sep 2017 - 22:23

I plan to play the demo with both characters and is likely the next thing I play when I turn on my Switch before continuing with M+R.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 15 Sep 2017 - 22:24

ZeroJones wrote:

Anyone else downloaded this? Anyone? Anyone? Balla? Winky Face

I have! It's a pretty big demo! I've played just over an hour with Olberic, scrapping with villagers and taking down bandits and there's still more to do! The demo said "That's you done with Olberic now", but then it's opened up a whole new area to me with things to do. Confused

I mean, more free gameplay, but mixed messages there! Factor in that I've not even touched Primrose's path yet and this is probably a three to four hour demo here!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 15 Sep 2017 - 22:29

Sounds good and means the main game could be long then if a demo is 2hrs per character.

What's the main game going to be 5hrs per character at least with 8 of them to play as. I sort want this a summer game where I can play for that amount of time and have nothing else to worry about in the backlog.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptyFri 15 Sep 2017 - 22:39

I highly suspect this will be a 70 hour plus game, all told. I barely feel like I've tapped into Olberic's storyline at all with that opening hour.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptySat 16 Sep 2017 - 20:58

Double post!

That's me wrapped up with the demo content - 4 hours, all in, which is not shabby whatsoever for a demo. For those looking for a checklist of things to do...

Demo Content:

I'm quite keen for this now after playing the demo to its entirety. In the full game, you'll be able to recruit the other characters in any order and that sounds like quite an appealing design choice. The different character abilities affecting your exploration is a neat touch too.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptySat 16 Sep 2017 - 21:08

I'm still yet to play but it is interesting how you recruit the characters and I gather if I started with Primrose and learn about her story then recruit Olberic during her story, I'm not going to know his.

I wonder how this will all play out over 8 characters as I want to know all their stories but of course continue on and build my party. Will I (possibly we) start with a character, learn their backstory, recruit the other 7, beat the game.

Then go back and restart with the others but get to a point and be like I now know what he's about that's enough now and not finish with that play-though as the rest will be the same where all 8 characters intersect, then restart with another and so on.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptySat 16 Sep 2017 - 22:04

I think that's quite cool that you'll be meeting up with characters whom you know next to nothing about. It's not their story during that first playthrough, but it could be if you go back and choose them as your protagonist.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptySat 16 Sep 2017 - 22:11

Sure is but will you want to possibly replay after a certain point the same game 8 times. Of course this speculation based of a demo, but I think I will have a brief read of all 8 charcters, see which one sounds the most interesting and that be my main playthourgh before going back and learning about the others upto a point unless the game is clever and knows what've you've done and not.

I can hear Balla already going urggh I might miss content.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo EmptySat 16 Sep 2017 - 22:56

I have a feeling that I'm going to have two protagonists on the go to begin with: Primrose, and then another one. Not certain how I'll choose the second one yet, mind...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo   Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo Empty

Back to top Go down

Octopath Traveller: Square Enix also celebrating the Year of the Octoling/Octopath 2: Octopus Boogaloo
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next