We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NGamer Issue 7

Go down 
+2
Buskalilly
gjones
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptySat 4 Feb 2017 - 22:34

NGamer Issue 7 Latest?cb=20071216121751&path-prefix=en

Issue 7 of NGamer is here! Remarkably, released on 31st January, this was the March 2007 issue.

"Scarface being on the Wii is like a foul-mouthed tramp lurching into a child's birthday party"

The focus this time 10 years ago was on Scarface, that slightly overrated ode to 80s excess starring Al Pacino playing Al Pacino on cocaine. There's a lot of PS2 shots used in the preview piece, but the main selling point was the controls and how motioning to chainsaw was considered rather edgy for a Nintendo platform. And this was years before MadWorld!

Also check the Kororinpa review below that slags off Monkey Ball - a genuine example of a classic videogame. It's very odd, especially given they considered Banana Blitz (not the best Monkey Ball) to be a game worth an 84% review score. Confusing message there.

Reviews

Pokemon Battle Revolution (Wii) - 70%
Eledees (Wii) - 82%
Full review by Mark Green:
Bleach (Wii) - 72%
Wing Island (Wii) - 57%
Kororinpa (Wii) - 81%

Full review by Chrissy Williams:
Metal Slug Anthology (Wii) - 78%
Necro-Nesia (Wii) - 48%
FarCry Vengeance (Wii) - 23%
Super Swing Golf Pangya (Wii) - 75%
Exite Truck (Wii) - 77%
Tomagotchi No Pika Pika Daitouryou! (Wii) - 45%
Crayon Shin-Chan (Wii) - 35%
Ennichi No Tatsujin (Wii) - 23%
My Frogger You Trials (DS) - 45%
Chicken Little: Ace in Action (Wii) - 69%
The Ant Bully (Wii) - 50%
Super Fruitfall (Wii) - 18%
SD Gundam Scad Hammers (Wii) - 65%
Final Fantasy III (DS) - 81%
Mario Slam Basketball (DS) - 69%
March of the Penguins (DS) - 11%
Arthur and the Invisibles (DS) - 59%
Rafa Nadal Tennis (DS) - 65%
FullMetal Alchemist (DS) - 40%
Mega Man Star Force (DS) - 52%
Dragon Quest Monstars: Joker (DS) - 72%
Chobobo And The Magic Picture book (DS) - 66%
Naruto: Shinobi Retsuden (DS) - 39%
Children of Mana (DS) - 65%
Magical Starsign (DS) - 70%

"Round-Up" Reviewsl

Monster Puzzle (DS) - 55%
Dino Master (DS) - 21%
MechAssault: Phantom War (DS) - 69%
Labyrinth (DS) - 53%
Xiaolin Showdown (DS) - 60%
Super Black Bass Fishing (DS) - 12%
Contact (DS) - 70%
New Zealand Story Revolution (DS) - 70%
Yu-Gi-Oh: Spirit Catcher (DS) - 60%
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptySun 5 Feb 2017 - 10:46

Turn to page 95 Laughing
Unfortunately the link has been taken down; one day I'll remaster those awful videos, I still have all the raw files I believe.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan Online
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptySun 5 Feb 2017 - 17:31

Normally we do what we buying or something, anyway

Exite Truck (Wii) - 77%, I did buy back then but not sure if I would now but a nice new HD version on Switch would be nice
Final Fantasy III (DS) - 81%, I've got into JRPGs more so in the last few years that now it would be right up my street
Dragon Quest Monstars: Joker (DS) - 72%, Same as FFIII
Chobobo And The Magic Picture book (DS) - 66%, Same as FFIII
Children of Mana (DS) - 65%, Same as FFIII
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptySun 5 Feb 2017 - 17:56

Can confirm: FFIII quite good, Children Of Mana rubbish. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptyMon 6 Feb 2017 - 19:50

There's Far Cry getting 23% a few months after being on the front cover. NGamer made putting shite games on the front of their magazine into a bit of a habit. I never thought that Pokémon Battle Revolution was all that much better to be honest. But then there's Excite Truck, Kororinpa, Eledees and Metal Slug Anthology: four of my favourite games on the entire machine. There's four game that didn't arse about.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptyMon 6 Feb 2017 - 22:42

I'll second Kororinpa any day of the week, Cappa. Kororinpa's like a puzzle version of a Team Ico game - cutting the crap as it were (oh, but controlling much better than said crap). Slight digression - did anyone see Dara O'Briain's show, where they played it using giant sitting-in-orb-things as controllers? I miss it; if Konami can be arsed to revive Bomberman, they can revive this dude as well please thankyou.

Token "I miss Greener" comment: the Radiant Silvergun caption:
" 'BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS' it says".
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptyWed 8 Feb 2017 - 22:02

^Sorry naughty sorry^

In the previews section, they talk about Bubble Bobble Dual Shot, which was supposed to save the day, after the previous game was literally unplayable. How did that fare?
*Skips ahead*
Oh.

Why can't they just make a good Bubble Bobble revamp? Is it so "of its time" that the arcade/NES versions won't be topped?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptyWed 8 Feb 2017 - 22:16

Ahh! I'd have stuck with Go 8-Bit had I known that they were going to get round to some of the more unusual stuff that's out there. The first epsiode had Tetris and some cunt, and I patched it after that.

I remember reading about a version of Bubble Bobble on WiiWare that's supposedly quite good. But, aye, whoever's developing these Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Island/Puzzle Bobble games would do well to stop dicking about with what worked well in the first place.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptyThu 9 Feb 2017 - 12:29

Jimbob wrote:
I'll second Kororinpa any day of the week, Cappa. Kororinpa's like a puzzle version of a Team Ico game - cutting the crap as it were (oh, but controlling much better than said crap). Slight digression - did anyone see Dara O'Briain's show, where they played it using giant sitting-in-orb-things as controllers? I miss it; if Konami can be arsed to revive Bomberman, they can revive this dude as well please thankyou.

Token "I miss Greener" comment: the Radiant Silvergun caption:
" 'BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS' it says".

I watched every one of the Go-8bit shows and yes, the Koroinpa one was a good 'un. I'd have thought Wii Sports would have featured but given they are filming series 2 at the moment, it may pop up.

Also, I aim to pick up both Kororinpa and Eledees at the end of February if anyone else fancies bashing through them? I'm currently on the end of WarioWare: Smooth Moves having wasted a few evenings just playing the strange mini-games that you unlock (such as the one where you balance falling shapes on a platform, hitting a ping pong ball up a tower etc.). My wife loves it! There seems to be a good number of unlockable levels for these games too. With regards to the single player, I'm on the final character (I'm assuming) and just can't for the life of me, do the sword-defence game. After the horrid Red Steel sword-fighting sections I'm convinced that swords and Wii-motes aren't ideal partners - yet a work colleague has offered to lend me Skyward Sword (assume this fares better?).

Speaking of Zelda, I've returned to Twilight Princess and currently on the dragon boss at the top of the sky temple. Forget how much I love this game, it just has that perfect late PS2-era combination of good graphics, great atmosphere and lots to do. I'm at 67 hours and sure I'm not near the end.

Also, Pokemon Battle Revolution looks like such a cop-out. It has less content than Colosseum and Stadium, so I'll probably ignore its existence for the case of playing it ten years later.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptyThu 9 Feb 2017 - 12:56

Yeah, you're definitely safe to skip Battle Revolution. A real disappointment after what came before, it pretty much only existed because Diamond and Pearl had fairly crap online battling.

Skyward Sword is a banger though, the motion plus makes the swordplay much more responsive.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptyThu 9 Feb 2017 - 21:11

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
I remember reading about a version of Bubble Bobble on WiiWare that's supposedly quite good. But, aye, whoever's developing these Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Island/Puzzle Bobble games would do well to stop dicking about with what worked well in the first place.

Sounds like the sort of game Zero would download, who played infinite (OK, OK, 'near infinite' Winky Face ) Bubble Bobble with his mate Dave at university. It's a pretty good version but the extra levels included some with slopes, which made your bubbles fire at the angle of the slope and... well, let's just say it really felt like the mucking about you've just been referring to. Embarrassed

Drunkalilly wrote:
Skyward Sword is a banger though, the motion plus makes the swordplay much more responsive.

Whilst Skyward Sword has less of the trademark Zelda exploration, I far prefer it to Twilight Princess. The story felt more characterful, it was loaded with nostalgia, the stamina meter was a fabulous addition to proceedings and the Motion Plus is like an awesome. I mildly recommend it. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptyThu 16 Feb 2017 - 23:03

Drunkalilly wrote:
Turn to page 95 Laughing
Unfortunately the link has been taken down; one day I'll remaster those awful videos, I still have all the raw files I believe.

Hey! How ya doin', Page 95 buddy? Cool
My sister didn't think my letter was funny. I didn't realise it was this early on that I'd stopper her reading NGamer Sad
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

NGamer Issue 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 7   NGamer Issue 7 EmptyFri 17 Feb 2017 - 12:05

Oh my god, how did I not spot your name up there!?! Razz Laughing
And look at how far we've come . . .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content