We'll Never Get (Card)Bored Of Nintendo's Ideas

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  SONMSONM  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Sheegoth

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Fri 12 Jan 2018 - 23:21

I took delivery of a physical copy of the Purrfect Edition of Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back on PS4 earlier today, and I beat the game in about an hour. Simply put, it struggled to make much of an impression. I rattled through it's fifteen levels just a couple of hours ago and I hardly remember any of it. Fair enough, it was playable and it all worked, but it's just a very plain and unexceptional 2D platformer. Nothing stands out. 4/10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Fri 12 Jan 2018 - 23:39

Ouch. I was wondering if a fellow forumite was going to get the new Bubsy; I remember being quite happy with the SNES original back in the day. That was when everyone and their dog were releasing sassy mascot platformers... I remember it well. Cool Spot was a good one. Anyway, sorry to hear that the comeback has failed to impress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Thu 18 Jan 2018 - 20:47

Gorogoa

Gorogoa was, for me anyway, a sufferer of Undertale Syndrome: a term I'm coining for games that are good, hyped up to be world-changing, and are therefore more disappointing to play than they should be.  

I took a punt on Gogogoat because a bunch of places described it as unique, clever, and great.  It's another arty puzzle game, of which there are several, so that's not true.  Its scenery-shifting stuff is unique, but the general feel has definitely been done before.  It is definitely clever... but not as clever as it thinks it is, or as it's been made out to be.  Its wonderful gameplay ideas peak with a moment in the first fifth of the game and another in the second fifth.  It's consistently good, and there are some real forehead-slapping moments, but it never regained those heights.

As for greatness - the gameplay's good, the visuals are nicely drawn, the music is... there, and the story is thought-provoking if nothing else.  Given a chance to bloom, for those ideas in the first and second fifths to evolve, it could have been great.  But I polished the damn thing off in ninety minutes.  Apparently it took the developer six years to create: I don't know what he was doing for most of those.

I would recommend Go!Go!Go!a to puzzle fans, because although it's another arty puzzle game it probably is unlike anything you've played.  But get it for £5 on 'phone.  It's not substantial enough to be worth £15 on Switch.

6/10
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Space Ark Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Thu 18 Jan 2018 - 21:50

Balla wrote:
Gorogoa was, for me anyway, a sufferer of Undertale Syndrome: a term I'm coining for games that are good, hyped up to be world-changing, and are therefore more disappointing to play than they should be.  

Doesn't that say more about the person than the game though? Genuinely interested as I tend to try and put any hype/praise out the window for a well received game when I get around to playing it.

Last edited by The_Jaster on Fri 19 Jan 2018 - 2:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muss
Disciple of Overton

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Thu 18 Jan 2018 - 22:58

Speaking for myself, I find it hard to disassociate hype from experience. Take The Hunger Games, I heard nothing but superlatives about it, but when I watched it I thought it was incredibly mediocre. The same is true for Persona 5. I'm not sure that this necessarily would make me change my verdict of a thing, but a part of me is always going to be weighing my experience against the hype, wondering if I've missed something or everyone else is just silly.  

I mean I soldiered through P5, in part because it was expensive, but also because I was hoping at some point maybe, just maybe, the hype would click.

Otherwise:

Heard a lot of hype Cool about its sequel on the forum so I bought the original a week or so ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. There's something nice about carving out paths through the dirt, and I tended to encounter new things frequently enough to keep things interesting. I'll definitely consider picking up the sequel when it's on sale. I can definitely see it benefiting from being on the Switch, I think I'd have preferred it on the go, but equally having it on the big screen via the PS4 was nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Thu 18 Jan 2018 - 23:09

Hype and expectation can make or break a game... but it's usually 'break'. I try to avoid hype, disregard it, and use it sparingly myself, because I know how much it can change expectation. That's one of the reasons I'm not as mad keen on Super Mario Odyssey as I might be: I let the hype get to me. No

As for SteamWorld Dig, I'm glad you enjoyed it, Muss. Thumbs Up! It's a slight game, I reckon, but I just couldn't put it down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Fri 19 Jan 2018 - 20:21

I did think of you and Bravely Second as well Zero!

Jas fair play to you if you can do that, but are you saying you don't get excited for a new MonHun game, say? And that excitement doesn't feed into the moments you first play it? You'll forgive me for saying that I find that hard to believe!

Anyway, like Muss, I can't regulate the level of hype I feel for a came so well. Also: the entirety of Gorogoa was the moments I first played it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Space Ark Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Fri 19 Jan 2018 - 21:01

Yeah that's fine as it was just a question that popped into my head & I wasn't trying to make it seem like I can do it all the time, most games are unbelievably hyped up these days which is why I try to keep it in check.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   

Back to top Go down

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 14 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14