It's Sunny! Thank Goodness for Consoles We Can Take Outside!

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Sun 15 Apr 2018 - 21:58

If youíre considering it as a Yoshi series game, Iím right; if youíre considering it as a 2D Mario series game, youíre right, mas. I do still believe that the evidence for it being a Mario series is circumstantial, in that he is in the game. The mechanics that make the game what it is are pure Yoshi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Mon 16 Apr 2018 - 20:01

I think Mas is right either way - his post doesn't actually say it's a 2D Mario game. Razz And none of the NSMB games have held a candle to Yoshi's Island, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
The Cappuccino Kid
Sheegoth

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Sun 22 Apr 2018 - 9:47

Gave Shu a shoeing over the weekend. Much like Zero Jones said two pages back, it's held back by quite a few things. Along the way, it's a peculiar sort of game, irritating as often as it is soothing, with a nuanced and expressive style and flow that's a little bit let down by annoying obstacles and abilities. Short and to the point, solid indie-riffic platforming, 6/10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JayMoyles
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Sun 22 Apr 2018 - 23:19

I'll have extended thoughts on this at some point, but I polished this off yesterday. It's definitely a relic of the past in a lot of its design decisions, although the PSP port did its best to update it visually and mechanically with such features like replacing the antiquated magic system with a more conventional MP magic system.

From a story standpoint it's bare bones in its plot, but the thrill came from putting together a customiseable band of heroes and then exploring a wide open world. I can see why this would have captured the hearts of many back in the day as wandering the world and finding new cities or caves was a treat even playing this over 30 years from its original release date. The incessant random battling and the somewhat skeletal battle system... less impressive.

Still, the blueprints are definitely there for the series as a whole, but time's not been too kind to this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Jimbob
Ice Climber

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Yesterday at 22:19

It was alright this - essentially a Metroidvania with a cute flying robot. It's the sort of game where you want to spend ages finding all the hidden bits; there were a couple of neat puzzles. However, a lot of it involved flying into areas that looked like they might have something hidden behind them. Music and graphics are atmospheric, but, as much as I would normally champion telling a story without words and cutscenes, it was a bit "oh that's the end then I guess". This is not an eloquent review. But 7/10
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jimbobsonofriber.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   

Back to top Go down

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0
Page 19 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: Gaming Miscellaneous :: General Gaming Discussions-
Jump to: