We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)

Go down 
+6
The Cappuccino Kid
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
Jimbob
Balladeer
JayMoyles
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyThu 25 May 2017 - 21:59

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 CYQTpl1UMAA0J3X
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyThu 25 May 2017 - 23:41

Oh boy! I'm already late for this.

First thoughts are: alot of boss battle music is, like... "DODODOOOOO! MaNaNaMaNaNaMaNaNaMaNaNaMaNaNaNa WEEEEEE Didldidl WEEEEEE Didldidl" clashing chord orchestral stuff (or, apparently, looking at your posts so far, JRPG Rock equivalent) - it usually suits the tone, but isn't necessarily memorable.

Firstly, really basic thoughts on your favourites:

My ones are a bit stupid (and hypocritical) in comparison:
Earthbound's Boss Theme - NES bloopery evolved into 90s hip-hop. Nothing's like Earthbound for being both emotional and hipstery at the same time. (wait where is everyone going?)
Guys you forgot this one - I'm sorry - it had to be listed somewhere
Fortress Boss Time in Yoshi's Island - this boss clearly isn't the worst.
Not included are the bosses from Little King's Story as they're all pretty much re-creations of classical music.

Sorry, I try to think of newer ones - oh dear
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyFri 26 May 2017 - 9:29

Gonnae try and fit in some feedback now.  Before I do so, though:

Jimbob wrote:
First thoughts are: alot of boss battle music is, like... "DODODOOOOO! MaNaNaMaNaNaMaNaNaMaNaNaMaNaNaNa WEEEEEE Didldidl WEEEEEE Didldidl" clashing chord orchestral stuff (or, apparently, looking at your posts so far, JRPG Rock equivalent) - it usually suits the tone, but isn't necessarily memorable.

Yep, this.  A lot of boss musics are dead appropriate for their setting and yet utterly unmemorable, because if the boss is memorable then who'll care about the tunes?  Apart from us, obviously.  

Right, let's go.  Obviously I'm only going to be able to devote a few seconds to most tracks, so please excuse me if your particular piece gets good at 2:47.

Moylesback:

Cappaback:

Drunkenback:

Halfway there! Phew. I'll try and fit in Mas, Athers, and Jimbob later. Good work gents.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyFri 26 May 2017 - 9:46

Masback:

Athrunback:

Jimback:

Done!  Sorry for the doppo gents. Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyFri 26 May 2017 - 10:37

Psh, all these philistines unable to comprehend the pure majesty of Caius Theme and Rising Up.  Methinks this might just do the trick!

You win fifty internets for making it beyond two minutes, you'll be crying for the likes of XCX's Black Tar long before then

Also this actual masterpiece that slipped my mind yesterday. The build-up to You-Know-Who's theme is absolute perfection, and the overall magical and sinister feel of the theme made the battles feel epic in exactly the right way. Also proof you don't need constant bombast to make a great boss theme!

I'll get to addressing others soon, still chewing my way through the main-music thread right now!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyMon 29 May 2017 - 19:41

Dear God that's horrendous. No

As for the other one you've posted, I would have enjoyed that (enjoyed but probably not remembered) had they used it for one boss. I certainly remember it now, but got thoroughly sick of it by the end.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyWed 31 May 2017 - 20:21

DoPo, sorry, but there's not one but two brilliant Zelda boss themes I didn't post earlier because I was saving them for this!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyMon 5 Jun 2017 - 17:13

I was genuinely planning this week for now, but it now looks like I was running out of ideas and pinching Balla's suggestion from the Ninty music thread. Not true, honest!

What's the best desert/sand level theme?

Desert levels are often pretty tedious to power through, but they're usually accompanied with some great music.

My picks:

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 Maxresdefault

Obligatory Persona 5 pick to start me off. I like this one because it's different enough from the majority of desert themes whilst still feeling suitably thematic. Plus, it keeps the trademark funkiness of P5's soundtrack.

Gerudo Town (Night) is a rare breed of desert track. It's a nighttime desert theme! I love how mellow it is compared to your usual desert town theme.

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 10-capture_14052011_220801

Nothing will evoke the atmosphere of an arid canyon more than Digimon World.

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 Step-4

Al Kharid from Runescape is still the first town that comes to mind if you ask me about desert towns in video games. Granted, it's chock full of MIDI garbage, but I think it does a great job of representing a typically sandy town theme.

Over to you!

Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyMon 5 Jun 2017 - 19:55

Balladeer wrote:
4. Molduga
Terrifying
Comical

2. Divine Beast Vah Naboris (Inside)
0 Terminals
1 Terminal
2 Terminals
3 Terminals
4 Terminals
5 Terminals

1. Vah Naboris Battle
Far Away
Closing In
Engage!

To get the obvious out of the way. Coming soon: another bloody huge Balla-post. At least there won't be any DKCTF this time, it didn't have any bona fide desert levels.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyMon 5 Jun 2017 - 20:59

It's another victory for Sonic & Knuckles on the Mega Drive.

True fact: desert zones in platformers are 98% pish. Nobody in history has ever enjoyed a desert level in any of the 2D Marios.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyMon 5 Jun 2017 - 23:10

I've just used multi-quote for the first time. Was copying and pasting like a dolt before!

JayMoyles wrote:
Obligatory Persona 5 pick to start me off.
I don't know if I could ever bring myself to play a Persona game, but I do like the fact that their soundtracks avoid all the clichés.

JayMoyles wrote:
Gerudo Town (Night) is a rare breed of desert track. It's a nighttime desert theme!
Really weird having a Zelda game with 80s electric piano in. I did enjoy the daytime / nighttime music cycles that were everywhere (although ultimately I think I like the daytime ones more).

Balladeer wrote:
4. Molduga
Terrifying
Comical
Unfortunately this just reminds me of trying to farm for yellow Lizalfos tails. "No I'm not that close to you - fuck off"

Balladeer wrote:
1. Vah Naboris Battle
Far Away
Closing In
Engage!
Now this is a tune! (except it's three)

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
It's another victory for Sonic & Knuckles on the Mega Drive.
Sanic and Nukles Sand Desert Place Zone 2
I usually quite like Sonic Megadrive music - this seems a bit "entry level" though Aww! . But I'm totally with you about desert levels being shite. They peaked with the Scary Sun level from SMB3.

Not that I can do any better:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of TIme - Gerudo Valley - ClapclapclapClapClapclapclapclapClapclapclapClapClapclapClapclap
Earthbound - Dusty Dunes Desert - Obligatory "what were they on when they made Earthbound?" post. Another time they decided to mess around with the music from the predecessor.
Lemmings 2 - SNES - Eqyptian Lemmings - Because when you say "desert" you mean "Eqyptian". For some reason, some tunes in Lemmings 2 were completely different across different formats. The Amiga version was probably copyright-inducing. And the MegaDrive version could only do some notes it seems. Anyway my ears are bleeding now.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyTue 6 Jun 2017 - 10:41

The version with that speech
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyTue 6 Jun 2017 - 15:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-xGBHMVaig

Typically I find desert themes fairly boring out of context, so that's about the only thing that sticks in the memory.

Also this because lets be real here, it's basically a desert and Molgera is basically a damn Sandworm. Chikachikachika baby!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyTue 6 Jun 2017 - 18:36

masofdas wrote:
The version with that speech

Some MGS4 definitely would have made my list if you hadn't beaten me to the punch. I'm sure I'll have some more picks laterz.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyTue 6 Jun 2017 - 21:56

I'll start my desert music post proper by saying that Zelda, as a franchise, absolutely nails sandy music... yet between my BotW offerings, Athrun's Molgera (and its brilliant Warriors remix), and Jimbob's classic (and its brilliant Smash remix), we've already covered the best ones!  So I'll quickly throw in another couple I like from TP before starting: the shamanistic village of Kakariko, and the old Western action of the Hidden Village.  (The game's Gerudo Desert theme is bobbins.)

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 Hqdefault

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 MLPiT_Gritzy_Desert_screenshot

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 11-desert

Spoiler:

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 Xenoblade_oblivia

Spoiler:

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 Tumblr_oi31utUpQv1vf930xo1_500

Spoiler:

All of the feedback:

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Nobody in history has ever enjoyed a desert level in any of the 2D Marios.

There is one person actually.  She lives in Liverpool, and one of the NSMB2 desert levels is her favourite ever.  Her parents stopped loving her long ago.

Otherwise, you're spot on.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyTue 6 Jun 2017 - 22:36

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 Tumblr_o2l6t89fzN1r9ec5ao1_500

Jay Tony:

Prince Jimbob, Glorious Hob:

Athrabian Nights:

The Balls Man:
Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 Tumblr_o2l6t89fzN1r9ec5ao3_500
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyWed 7 Jun 2017 - 19:24

Drunkalilly wrote:
Ah, imagine if XCX the game had lived up to its world and soundtrack. All eyes on you, XC2!

We'd be talking GoaT material there. Until BotW came out a year or so later, natch.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyWed 7 Jun 2017 - 21:17

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 Goatin
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyThu 8 Jun 2017 - 12:24

WaitwaitwaitWAIT! I just realised I missed a sandy/desert theme, and I'm kicking myself so much right now considering my media player says I've listened to it over 120 times. Simply glorious stuff, intoxicating flute and horns with a rousing chorus. And no, no actual lyrics this time.

Also I feel a bit strange in saying that Oblivia imo was one of the weaker area themes given how much I talk up XCX's sounsdtrack. Bit too generic-epicy for my tastes, a trait Sawano has across his soundtracks. Sometimes he hits the right blend of unique-yet-epic, others it just ends up sounding uninpsired due to the instrument selection. Oblivia Night is the definitive theme for the region in my opinion, the toning down of tempo and epicy instruments allows for its melody to shine better, and it sounds more desert-y to boot. Granted it's still the same core theme as its daytime counterpart, but the removal of certain instruments allows for it to take on a different and, in my humble opinion better, tone.

Agree about ORAS strangling some themes, the soundtrack just isn't the same without the Zubat-level presence of trumpets!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyThu 8 Jun 2017 - 20:11

That's good stuff! That said, I can't help wishing it had continued in the vein of the first four bars. After that it lost some of its individuality. Still good, mind. As for Oblivia, each to their own. Smile

Here's ΩRAS ruining Route 111. Sick
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyFri 9 Jun 2017 - 17:26

Alright lads, time for me to give you your just deserts!

BATTLE! DESERT
Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 ?format=1000w
The most exciting Monster Hunter monsters have their own music, but earlier beasties tend to use a generic theme based on the area you're fighting in. This deserty one does the job fairly well I reckon.

Mars
Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 Mass-Effect-3-Mars-Prothean-Ruins1.jpg.optimal
For the most part, I reckon the rest of you have already covered the specific blend of "desert music" most games go for; a very Middle-Eastern inspired Arabic or Egyptian sound with lots of sitar. There are other kinds of deserts though! When I think of deserts, I think of my fascination with other planets, like Mars, and this track from Mass Effect 3 is a great example of that soundtrack's great sense of alien atmosphere.

COWBOY STUFF
This is the other kind of desert music I like. I love classic Ennio Moricone stuff in cinema, but I haven't played enough games to have anything to suggest other than the great Twilight Princess piece Balla already beat me to. I should really get round to playing Red Dead Redemption, Red Steel 2 and Gunman Clive at some point. Can anyone recommend any good tunes from those titles?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptyFri 9 Jun 2017 - 19:36

Ooh.  Once again, ME3 has me intrigued.  It feels very Nontendo somehow, but not badly.  I reckon it's the film influence that it reeks of.

If you want ace cowboy music, I forgot how special basically the entire Gunman Clive soundtrack is.  It isn't all desert, natch, but it definitely has the old west feeling you're thinking of. (Obviously Shadow fits the theme too.)
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptySat 10 Jun 2017 - 12:04

Bâl Adir wrote:
Ooh.  Once again, ME3 has me intrigued.  It feels very Nontendo somehow, but not badly.  I reckon it's the film influence that it reeks of.
Interesting you say that, actually. The Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 soundtracks by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick were very deliberately based on classic 60s and 70s-era sci-fi. Lots of ambience, electronica, atmosphere and weirdness- much like the start of that Mars track I shared. For Mass Effect 3 they brought in Clint Mansell, who has a background in cinema, and you subsequently got the more dramatic and modern filmic influence.

Be a lad, dear wrote:
If you want ace cowboy music, I forgot how special basically the entire Gunman Clive soundtrack is.  It isn't all desert, natch, but it definitely has the old west feeling you're thinking of.  (Obviously Shadow fits the theme too.)
Oooh, I like that! That might be getting downloaded this week . . . Switch version when?
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptySat 10 Jun 2017 - 13:32

Crap, I forgot another desert theme. As it turns out my previous assertion that desert/earth areas lacked good themes was the exact opposite of the truth. And this. Aaaand this, although to be fair this is more investigating a old temple in the desert, but whatever. Seriously Lightning Returns soundtrack is ridiculously underrated.

Also is it weird that that MonHun tune reminded me of Stallord for some reason?
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 EmptySun 11 Jun 2017 - 10:38

I think what I've learned from Drunka, Balla, Athers et al is that desert themes are the eternal battle between cowboys and pharaohs. I think my general money's on cowboys. The Arabic-style music always tends to end up a bit "random and noodly".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)
Page 6 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next