We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)

Go down 
+6
The Cappuccino Kid
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
Jimbob
Balladeer
JayMoyles
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyMon 10 Jul 2017 - 18:57

Balladeer wrote:

Drunkalilly wrote:
JAY HAS EXPLICITLY SAID RHYTHM GAMES WILL HAVE THEIR OWN WEEK PATRICK.

Then what's he doing responding to Cappa's mention of Parappa?  If the host is going to be a hypocrite I don't see why I should be beholden to his rules.

I mean, I don't think I did say rhythm games will have their own week though... Laughing
Athrun88 wrote:
Beneath the Mask is one smooth chill number

Yes!

Athrun88 wrote:

When the Moon's Reaching Out Stars (engrish yay!), a nice mellow number to end the Persona 3 showcase.

YES!

Athrun888 wrote:

Lastly, one song I can't omit after raving about it, is Heaven.   

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 DWEyA

I'm a sucker for mellow Persona tracks. Those three are probably in my top 5 Persona tracks in the whole series, now that I think about it.

Beneath The Mask is my favourite out of the three I've highlighted there. Such a cozy track. Also...

P5 Spoilers:
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyMon 10 Jul 2017 - 19:49

Athrun888 wrote:
And with that y'all have absolutely no excuse skipping the best music in the thread!  

Gosh darn it, you're right. No time today, but with that god-tier feedback you bet I'm going to give those all a proper listen. From what I heard of your P5 picks they're good stuff, at least before the vocals kick in. I shall do them justice though, just you see!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyMon 10 Jul 2017 - 21:45

The top comment nails it: "so dumb and unfitting, I love it!".
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyMon 10 Jul 2017 - 22:43

I don't want to know the context of that. I think it'd ruin it for me. Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyTue 11 Jul 2017 - 10:48

I thought Jay said no licensed tracks which PaRappa isn't (far as I know) and why I asked about covers such as Will the Circle Be Unbroken as it's not like Mad World & Gears of War.

Also Balla you could play Persona 5.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyTue 11 Jul 2017 - 13:54

I think he said we'd have a week for licensed tracks, which will include rhythm games, which I misremembered.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyTue 11 Jul 2017 - 17:36

Aye, so things like Parappa are fine, but things like Guitar Hero are not.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyWed 12 Jul 2017 - 2:29

Fine isn't the word that comes to my mind about Parappa going by that earlier example.   Winky Face

Also I think High School Love might've just won this thread.  Ain't no topping that.  

Alsoalso yeah Mas's right, now that I remember they released Persona 5 on the PS3 didn't they?  Persona 3 fes and 4 are also available in the PS2 retro section too iirc although I think you have to actively use the search feature to find them (or you do if the ps3 psn store is as terrible over the pond as it is down under).

Alsoalsoalso can't read that spoiler Jay, if it's for anything beyond the second palace it's not for this mortals eyes.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyWed 12 Jul 2017 - 18:26

Yep, final dungeon spoiler that one, so avoid for now!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyWed 12 Jul 2017 - 20:32

I dare say I could Mas, but I probably won't. It's logistics more than anything else: I don't have a telly in the week, and I have limited gameplaying time at weekends right now, so handhelds and hybrids have all the fun. It's why I belatedly realised that the Switch, and its hybrid nature, are the Best Thing Ever for me.

Athrunback:
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyThu 13 Jul 2017 - 16:16

Drunka has said same about the Switch, as I don't travel, most of my gaming is still on a home console that I've not seen that benefit. If you do some how find time or away to play Persona 5, it be worth it as likely be one of the best RPGs, you'll play.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptySun 16 Jul 2017 - 16:43

We've done final areas... let's take it back to the start.

What's the best first area/level theme in video gaming?

This can encompass first towns in RPGs to first levels in platformers. Here's some of my picks:

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Sharks

I like my first towns in RPGs to feel cozy and comforting. Onett's theme from Earthbound fits the bill for me. Goofy like most of Earthbound's OST whilst still keeping that homely feel.

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 011

And just to carry on from my last pick, here's Ordon Village from Twilight Princess. MIDI aside, this is a lovely track for a sleepy start to Link's adventure.

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Super-mario-brothers-world-1

...because somebody had to.

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Maxresdefault

IT'S BAAAAACK! Time for more Digimon World and another first town theme. I'm a sucker for those, seemingly!

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Latest?cb=20170626151301

And finally, because I'm a massive nerd here's the first town theme from Runescape. I much prefer the modern 2013 remaster from the 2004 version. MIDI madness, that. No

Over to you!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptySun 16 Jul 2017 - 22:03

JayMoyles wrote:
I like my first towns in RPGs to feel cozy and comforting. Onett's theme from Earthbound fits the bill for me. Goofy like most of Earthbound's OST whilst still keeping that homely feel.
Yeah! This probably wins already. I know Smooth McGroove isn't to everyone's taste, but I does the game a good justice (what?) here.

JayMoyles wrote:
And just to carry on from my last pick, here's Ordon Village from Twilight Princess. MIDI aside, this is a lovely track for a sleepy start to Link's adventure.
And this is also nice.

JayMoyles wrote:
...because somebody had to.
Well alright - I can't judge this any more because it's just a thing that exists now

JayMoyles wrote:
IT'S BAAAAACK! Time for more Digimon World and another first town theme. I'm a sucker for those, seemingly!
I don't have any nostalgia for this, so I don't know what to say, but it certainly sounds faithful to its source material. By which I mean Pokémon

JayMoyles wrote:
And finally, because I'm a massive nerd here's the first town theme from Runescape. I much prefer the modern 2013 remaster from the 2004 version. MIDI madness, that. No
I definitely appreciate the remake. having suffered with the MS General MIDI sounds for many years, there's no way they did the song justice.

Assuming I can't use the technical "first piece of music you hear in game" for this (was on a previous list) then Link to the Past - Hyrule Castle. As the first game in the series that really pushed a story as part of the progress of the game, this music felt like they were chucking you in at the deep end.
Whereas Ocarina of time's Kokiri Forest was a lot more gentle with you.

Bit cheaty this as it's a license - Goldeneye - the Dam. This ain't yer daddy's James Bond. Mainly because yer daddy didn't have a videogame James Bond.

David Wise sorts it out in Donkey Kong Country.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyMon 17 Jul 2017 - 10:45

JAYBACK:

Jimmenings:

Pallet Town
Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 250px-Pallet_Town_anime
This will always be the sound of "home" for me. Just a cute, quaint pleasant little piece that makes me feel comfortable, happy, and ready to turn my baseball cap backwards and set off. It did evolve over time, if you're a major chip-phobic.

Star Festival
Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Super-mario-galaxy-2-11
While it does start quite mellow, this has a wonderful feeling of prelude. It does sound like a festival, a celebration, preparing you for the absolute masterpiece to come. Playing Super Mario Galaxy might be the happiest I've ever been, and running around listening to this music I already knew I was in for a treat.

One of a Kind
Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Image_bayonetta-11736-1653_0005
Now for something completely different. Bayonetta doesn't open in a nice quiet village, or with the eponymous Witch at home with her mum. It opens with her battling on the face of a crumbling clock tower, endlessly plummeting through the sky, battling hordes of angellic grotesques, while a dramatic narration frames the story. Exceptional stuff, with a dramatic mixture of choir and organ.

Kokoto Village
Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Latest?cb=20091117034042
Right, if you need to calm back down, here's the village from the very first Monster Hunter. I've also spent a fair bit of time here in Monster Hunter Generations. It has that Pallet Town tranquility to it, but there's also a stringy, frontier town feel of adventurousness. This is a great piece of music to open up a Hunter's journey, building to a choir at the end.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyMon 17 Jul 2017 - 11:15

If we're going old school... there was something wonderfully stirring about the overworld theme in the original Legend Of Zelda, in my humble, unsubtle and often wrong opinion. Although yer man Jiminy Bobbles has put down my actual top contender so far with that DKC choon. Cool
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyMon 17 Jul 2017 - 21:32

Time for me to do what I do best: correct petty grammar mistakes post about music.

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Tumblr_mepo5lnz0Z1rkrwaco1_1280

Spoiler:

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Justin-wentz-original

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Xenoblade-Chronicles-Colony-9-640x360

Spoiler:

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Lmdmguide33

Spoiler:

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 2270814-outsetpanorama2

Spoiler:

Feedback coming soon, natch.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyWed 19 Jul 2017 - 21:52

Best first level themes would be these, ladies (no ladies) and gentlemen.

Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptySat 22 Jul 2017 - 23:24

Sorry, I'm a bit naughty speed-reading these (I think the timestamp thingy on the forum thinks I've been back more recently than I have, and now I've got Post Panic, but

Balladeer wrote:
Corneria's great.

Plains of Passage

Go catch dem piggies, Link![/spoiler]

these three are brilliant, and I can't believe I forgot them.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyMon 24 Jul 2017 - 21:26

Quick feedback:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyTue 15 Aug 2017 - 20:46

Sorry, I've really neglected this thread! I want to dedicate a fair chunk of time to giving feedback and putting up the next theme, but I've been terrible at getting onto the forum lately. Expect an update this weekend!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyWed 16 Aug 2017 - 19:10

In the meantime, here's a recent offering I really like. Much adventure, so choir, wow. Smile
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptyThu 17 Aug 2017 - 23:49

It's been copy-write claimed, Balla. Aww!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptySat 19 Aug 2017 - 19:26

Right, another installment!

What are the best invincibility/ultimate power-up themes?

You've just grabbed a special item and your character is now untouchable or ridiculously overpowered. Such a state of power needs a kickass accompanying theme! These sort of jingles are a staple of platformers, but I'm sure the diligent GNamer forum will unearth some hidden gems.

To give you an example of what I'm on about here, I'm going to use the Kirby series!

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 200?cb=20080719102308&path-prefix=en

Kirby Super Star has Kirby munching on an invinciblity lollipop and mowing down anything in his path. Sure, it's a short jingle but it's snappy and fills you with glee as you trample over every Waddle Dee that dares block your way.

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 N3DS_KirbyPlanetRobobot_screen_06.0

Planet Robobot has Kirby clamber into a mech in some stages and the music is pretty damn brilliant when he does so. It's still possible to die in this mode, sure, but the level of power that Kirby has in his mech warrants a place in this week's theme, I reckon.

Over to you!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptySun 20 Aug 2017 - 9:24

Only two answers this from Sonic and this from Mario.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 EmptySun 20 Aug 2017 - 14:38

WING CAP

ICE FLOWER

FLYING MARIO

WILD CARD

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next