We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)

Go down 
+6
The Cappuccino Kid
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
Jimbob
Balladeer
JayMoyles
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyWed 10 May 2017 - 21:52

Crazy bongos

Awwwwwweeeeeeeeeooooohaaaaweeeooooooh
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyThu 11 May 2017 - 0:15

The_Jaster wrote:
Crazy bongos

That track is so goddamn busy, all the instruments are going mad!

The_Jaster wrote:

I prefer this version to the version with the Islamic prayer chant. Whilst the cut version of the track is creepier and all, I think the version you linked fits Zelda much better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyThu 11 May 2017 - 12:00

Ooh, lava levels!  Oddly enough I haven't really played many games with them in recent times, and the ones that had them were using themes used throughout their entire games.  As such I've only got three themes to nominate (I can name a few more than two, they just aren't all that exciting or interesting musically imo), but before I do I have to turn my attention to the final area themes posted since earlier. . .

Thoughts on Final Area themes:

And now on to the theme of this week, my Lava Picks!

Starting things off with a Nintendo pick this time, Melty Molten Galaxy from Mario Galaxy, also my favourite theme from the game.  Easily one of my favourite lava level themes, the perfect choice of instruments highlight the hot feeling of the area, while the rest of the theme takes it to a epic level.  Honourable mention to Melty Monster Galaxy for almost reaching the same highs as its predecessor, high praise indeed considering.

Moving on I go back to Ys Felghana for some godly rock with A Searing Struggle.  This one's hot, just like the location.

To wrap things up I head back to Ys Seven with Place of Reticent Lava, one of the game's two lava themes and a nice contrast to Felghana (I'll admit Felghana's unrelenting intensity can be a bit much at times) with its slower pace.  

On other picks:

Magmoor Caverns

"The day i launch my cult about sacrifying young maidens to pits of lava, this will be the elevators' music." - A youtube commenter perfectly capturing the feel of the theme.  

Harth

Chirpy does seem like a good descriptor of this one, although if you hadn't said it was lava related I could see it being an ocean village living on the ocean in a custom made rig as much as a lava area!

Lethal Lava Land

Is it bad that I imagined the bongo's were being played by someone having a seizure?  

Fiya Temple

I'll admit I was never the hugest fan of the Temple themes in ocarina of time.  Too much atmospheric nonsense, and a missed opportunity to expand on the warp songs for the dungeons imo.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyThu 11 May 2017 - 15:30

The_Jaster wrote:
Crazy bongos

Imagining playing that in Donkey Konga just made me cry.

Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyThu 11 May 2017 - 16:33

JayMoyles wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:
Crazy bongos

That track is so goddamn busy, all the instruments are going mad!

The_Jaster wrote:

I prefer this version to the version with the Islamic prayer chant. Whilst the cut version of the track is creepier and all, I think the version you linked fits Zelda much better.

Aye I do too, I went back and listened to both before posting that & the one with the Prayer doesn't sound right at all.

Drunkalilly wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:
Crazy bongos

Imagining playing that in Donkey Konga just made me cry.

Ye'd have to some kind of gaming Ninja to pull that song off Ninja it'd be great to give it a go though.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyThu 11 May 2017 - 20:34

It's Balla, it's Balla time.

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 Maxresdefault

Spoiler:

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 001

Spoiler:

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 Mt_chimney

Spoiler:

NONTENDO ADVERT BREAK

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 May 2017 - 12:23

Jeez, Balla sure can write a music post!

Drunka Reacts :

Anyway, now it's time for a drunk dunk in that firey funk from the one and only technically-still-the-music-maestro-of-the-Nintendo-Thread.

First up for me, a Nontendo pick: Blast Furnace from Metal Gear Solid
Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 MGS+Post+Part+2+-+Blast+Furnace
I loved this area, and I suspect a big part of it is just that the sound and visuals are both so clearly based on the similar scenes in Terminator 2. FINE BY ME.

Back to Mario, and the forgotten 3D game: Corona Mountain from Super Mario Sunshine.
Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 Coronamountain
A hot and spicy track which, had I remembered it existed, could have gone in last week. It's exciting, it's got temperature, it's just a good lava track. Makes me want to run, which is an appropriate response when the Earth is melting.

Staying on theme, we've got Grumble Volcano from Mario Kart.
Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 Frame_0000_1280w
Not my favourite track, but a good racified version of the lava level music that has popped up in various forms already. I like the countdown feel it has, which suits the way the track is being destroyed as you race on it.

Lastly, Molten Caverns from Bayonetta 2
Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 Bayonetta-2-21
The songs and excitement and dancey fighting beats of the Bayonetta games have been discussed at length, meaning atmospheric level stuff like this is often overlooked. In Bayonetta 2, she battles hell as well as heaven, and plunging into the demonic depths is treated with appropriate gravitas.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 May 2017 - 12:46

Buska wrote:
First up for me, a Nontendo pick: Blast Furnace from Metal Gear Solid

That has a very 80s/James Bond vibe to it. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 May 2017 - 16:31

A Kojima game which isn't MGS
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 May 2017 - 17:14

masofdas wrote:

Boktai is concerned with vampires, yes? I only ask as that had more of a haunted house/ dracula feel than a lava one. Good track though, I'd love to play the Boktai games.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 May 2017 - 17:16

Yeah Vampires and other sort of monster's. It's a fire level like the one you bring up from MGS, I would like to see a remaster of Boktai on Switch.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 May 2017 - 17:55

Balladeer wrote:

Compare

What a track! I've really forgotten most of ALBW's soundtrack - shame on me, judging by relistening to these!

Balladeer wrote:

It may be Nontendo filth, but Undertale's Another Medium is one of the very finest lava area tracks.

Great taste Balla. You know, your music posts are genuine highlights and considering I get to revisits classics these, I'd say they might be the best thing on the fo-

Balladeer wrote:
And here's the Smooth McGroove version.

Sulk

I retract my last statement.

Balladeer wrote:
I'm not cheating: I'm picking pieces that only appear on Norfair, i.e. SSBB original remixes.  That said, the Norfair track itself is pretty bobbins.  Samus' theme, meanwhile, is brilliant, as is the ending theme.

This is rampant cheating and I'm having none of it. DAMN YOU!

Balladeer wrote:
Strictly, fire music - but seeing where it's from, I doubt Jay'll object.  F-F-Fire!

This is rampant cheating and perfectly fine. Thumbs Up!

Drunkalilly wrote:

Back to Mario, and the forgotten 3D game: Corona Mountain from Super Mario Sunshine.
Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 Coronamountain
A hot and spicy track which, had I remembered it existed, could have gone in last week. It's exciting, it's got temperature, it's just a good lava track. Makes me want to run, which is an appropriate response when the Earth is melting.

Never liked Corona Mountain, purely because it was a sticking point for MONTHS as a younger gamer for me.

masofdas wrote:

Yeah, major haunted house vibes from this one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 May 2017 - 7:04

I never even got to Corona Mountain for it to be a sticking point when I was a nipper. Those FLUDD-less sections were enough for me to bite the rubber off my Gamecube's analogue stick. Evil or Very Mad DAMN YOU! Mad 💣
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 May 2017 - 12:58

The_Jaster wrote:
Crazy bongos

A classic, but I actually think of it more as a desert piece.  It's both, natch.

The_Jaster wrote:

Like many, I'm not, in general, keen on Zelda dungeon themes.  Although there are exceptions, most of them are forgettable atmospheric warbling.  That's a rare musical area where BotW knocks it out of the park relative to the rest of its series.

Damn, the Virgin Wi-Fi isn't allowing me to connect to YouTube for whatever bloody stupid reason. Sad Rest of the feedback Monday.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 May 2017 - 15:20

Best lava area theme. FACT

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 May 2017 - 15:34

It's not terrible! But then, I didn't have any problems with that section, bar it being unquestionably the worst of... the four of those things.

Feedbacking and that:
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 May 2017 - 17:41

Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up!

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 May 2017 - 18:59

Lava reef? Double the blazing Sunny
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 May 2017 - 19:32

That's some good chiptune stuff there.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 May 2017 - 20:27

Can't not mention What The Heck? from Earthworm Jim as well. It's such a brilliant Hell/lava level. Come to think of it, it's just such a brilliant game - one of the very best Western-developed platformers of the '90s, definitely.

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 May 2017 - 20:32

Ah, well, if we're going with 90s Hell music, no version of hell ever creeped the bejesus out of me as much as Worms on PS1.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 May 2017 - 21:33

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Can't not mention What The Heck? from Earthworm Jim as well. It's such a brilliant Hell/lava level.

...I genuinely thought that was a SiIvaGunner post at first. Shocked That's... grand stuff. I think? (Psst, we're meant to be posting links not videos!)

Drunkalilly wrote:
Ah, well, if we're going with 90s Hell music, no version of hell ever creeped the bejesus out of me as much as Worms on PS1.

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 Tenor
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 May 2017 - 21:38

Balladeer wrote:
 (Psst, we're meant to be posting links not videos!)

Is that still an issue for anyone? Not having a go if it is.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 May 2017 - 21:39

Not for me, granted.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 May 2017 - 22:23

Balladeer wrote:
(Psst, we're meant to be posting links not videos!)

WHAT

Is this so Jaster can watch it on his Wii U? :shrink:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)   Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Music to my Ears (Castle Levels!)
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next