What is a tagline? A miserable pile of words!

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight

Go down 
AuthorMessage
masofdas
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 11:35

Falcom's Ys VIII is heading to the Switch this year thanks to NIS pushing for it from rumours. I've never played a Ys game but I know of the series and I was even tempted to pick up VIII but wasn't sure if I should go PS4 becasue I mainly play on a TV or on VITA as I do like a JRPG on a handheld and I never bothered in the end.

The Switch version is perfect for me and should have the new translation

Athrun can likely fill us in more about the game and series but I could see this at the right time being a bit of a hit on here with me, Balla, Zero and Jay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drunkalilly
Tenderloin Minimise

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 11:38

If I finish Xenbobob before this comes out, I might be tempted but big JRPGs do burn me out a little.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
Disciple of Reggie

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 13:45

I'm in Drunka's boat, only less likely to get burned out. Gives me very strong Xenoblade vibes, this, down to the stupidly dressed female character (the thread title is a dirty lie). So I'll probably pick it up, despite complaining bitterly about the dress sense.

Can't be as bad as Dahlia in XC2 though. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Baby Brush God

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 16:48

It's an alright game. Combat is super basic but ultimately fine and watching your base grow is reasonably fun. Story is very long and grindy though, a game to pick up on the cheap/during a dry spell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 17:27

One of these days I'll start a blog where I draw all of video gaming's scantily clad women in suits of armour. I'll just need to learn how to draw first...

Although building'n'action RPG scrapping reminds me of Ever Oasis - which I quite liked - I'm on the fence with this. My backlog already holds a fair few RPG's I liked the look of but never really clicked with (time for the Xenoblade Chronicles cough!). Aww!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drunkalilly
Tenderloin Minimise

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sat 13 Jan 2018 - 23:30

Balladeer wrote:
(the thread title is a dirty lie)

The title is an absolute banger and I can't believe I didn't notice right away. Nice one, Mas!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sun 14 Jan 2018 - 11:26

Thanks Drunka

I think Andy is right, it is all about when this comes out but if it's July or something, then could see a few of us getting it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masofdas
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sat 7 Apr 2018 - 12:51

I wasn't far of it's June, oh wait loads are coming that time for Switch but got love that fanservice
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drunkalilly
Tenderloin Minimise

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sun 8 Apr 2018 - 8:46

Can we talk about the word fanservice?

I'm fairly sure it just means something that's put into a game/ comic/ film/ whatever purely for the fans. Sometimes it's used in the context of taking a character who fans already lust after and giving them nude or scantily-clad scenes. I don't think it can just be used as a blanket term for all titillation.

We already have words for that, like "crass" and "pandering".
Back to top Go down
masofdas
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sun 8 Apr 2018 - 13:34

Sure, I can just imagine Balla rolling his eyes and saying something the lines of this game being fanservice heavy. I don't think it will actually be part from the Swimsuits DLC as it's no Senran Kagura.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Reggie

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sun 8 Apr 2018 - 20:36

Forget the swimsuits, have you seen her regular clothing? Unless there's a really well explained reason in-game why this mystical maiden of magic wears two straps across her chest rather than proper clothing, I'm going to go with fanservice - or crass pandering, which does indeed work better.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Centurion of Palutena

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Mon 9 Apr 2018 - 15:45

Drunkalilly wrote:
Can we talk about the word fanservice?

I'm fairly sure it just means something that's put into a game/ comic/ film/ whatever purely for the fans. Sometimes it's used in the context of taking a character who fans already lust after and giving them nude or scantily-clad scenes. I don't think it can just be used as a blanket term for all titillation.

We already have words for that, like "crass" and "pandering".

I'd say you're absolutely right for the mediums you mentioned, but when it comes to anime and manga - and I suppose by extension games with an anime aesthetic - then "fanservice" does indeed refer to scantily clad costumes and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
fronkhead
Disciple of Greener

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 22:27

masofdas wrote:
Sure, I can just imagine Balla rolling his eyes and saying something the lines of this game being fanservice heavy. I don't think it will actually be part from the Swimsuits DLC as it's no Senran Kagura.

Game's set on a tropical island, too. The swimsuits don't stick out as fanservice unlike other games where the cutscenes just look stupid when characters have all manner of accessories hanging off their arms and are wearing sunglasses or swimsuits.

Balladeer wrote:
Forget the swimsuits, have you seen her regular clothing?  Unless there's a really well explained reason in-game why this mystical maiden of magic wears two straps across her chest rather than proper clothing, I'm going to go with fanservice - or crass pandering, which does indeed work better.

Those are the clothes the entire tribe wears. Late-game stuff, though, but Dana doesn't turn up as a playable character until the late-game, either.

Anyway, it would be nice to discuss the game instead of have the thread be derailed by costume chat so I'll say no more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Reggie

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 20:53

I don't have the game, so can't say much about how it plays! Just how it looks. If they've got a good reason for it then fair enough.

I must be honest, I don't even know whether it's released yet. Is it? Any good?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sat 4 Aug 2018 - 17:01

Fronk was trying to get me and Zero to get it over Octopath, I don't know if that says anything on the quality of the game. Just I've got so many RPG's of some sort to play and others coming this year still, that for me to get this it has to be cheap on any platform.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fronkhead
Disciple of Greener

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Sun 5 Aug 2018 - 22:41

I do think it's a lot more interesting than Octopath Traveler, if only because Octopath Traveler doesn't really attempt to try anything new, and what is unique about it drags down its gameplay variety and makes it feel highly project-managed and segmented.

Both games are enjoyable though and worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Reggie

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 20:27

Well my parents can't find physical Octopath, so I've told them they could consider Ysate as a replacement birthday gift.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Centurion of Palutena

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 21:00

Even ordering online? I knew there were shortages in Japan for copies, but has it extended over here?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 21:04

I think we had it worse than Japan from what I remember.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Reggie

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 21:57

False alarm, they've found a copy. Dance Dana will have to wait.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight    

Back to top Go down

Ys VIII: Don't be tearful Dana you look lovely tonight
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: GNamer Forum :: Nintendo Switch-
Jump to: