We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Official Nontendo Music Thread

Go down 
+15
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
beemoh
masofdas
Treesmurf
Cube
The_Jaster
fronkhead
Jimbob
Admin
nupkin
Silver light
JayMoyles
Balladeer
Athrun888
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySat 21 Jun 2014 - 9:53

After an award winning opening week that made Jennifer Lawrence eager for more video game music and highly praised by Nobuo Uematsu for "proper good taste in music like", here we are with week two!

Jay's Jingles - Week Two: Shadow of the Colossus

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 5tp4uwob

Shadow of the Colossus is a game that I believe anyone with even a modicum of interest in gaming should play. You play as Wander, a young man on a quest to cure his girlfriend from some terminal illness - the catch is that to do that you must slay sixteen gargantuan beings known as Colossi. Each Colossus acts as a puzzle of sorts as you try to work out how to climb on top of the mammoth and stab its weak points for massive damage. The game is haunting in its loneliness, as the world is near barren aside from these encounters. This isn't a detriment to the game's quality, I promise you. As you continue toppling these giants, you wonder if killing these seemingly tranquil beings is the right move. Some don't even attack you. It's a wonderful title, and one in which music plays a key role: music sets up the tone of the Colossi you are facing as well as swelling to accompany your success in the battle. Let's look at it closer.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 PhalanxJump

Silence plays as you encounter some of the more pacifist Colossi. Seeing huge intimidating monsters flying through the air without a care or a gentle giant drifting lazily through a lake should prompt some element of restraint in you, but sadly you pursue the beast with an intent to kill - your girlfriend's fate requires it. I think the melancholy, eerie tone of this track perfectly reflects that. You know that harming these beautiful things is somewhat wrong, but it's a necessity for you, so battle is engaged. Those sad sounding strings do their best to make you feel somewhat remorseful, but it makes sure to build in intensity in the right places to remind you that this is not something to be trifled with lightly.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 Colossus-3

Revived Power is likely to be the track most players remember from their playthrough of Shadow of the Colossus. As you leap onto some of the more violent Colossi, the track switches from a menacing sounding track to this triumphant battle theme. Full of bombast and spirit, you can't help to feel spurned on towards the creature's weak areas to deliver a critical stabbing blow. As you struggle onwards across these titans, you're inspired. Once the beast falls however... that's another story.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 ShadowOfTheColossus-AddressOthers-1

My favourite track - The Farthest Land - is a track that most won't hear during their time with the game. To hear this wonderful piece, you have to idle at the start screen. Upon doing so, a cutscene will ensue where your horse gallops away from the last place you saved without you and heads off on his own little adventure. I think this scene and the lovely music that accompanies manages to emphasise the lonely majesty of this world you're travelling across. Murder is your destination, but you should take a while to really enjoy the landscape of this world - it's a beautiful place. Your horse shouldn't be the only one to enjoy it, you know.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 Shadow-of-the-Colossus-Wander

The Sunlit Earth is the last piece of music you'll hear in the game. Yep, it's the credits theme. The stunning piano to open the piece, the wind instrument that comes in afterwards... it's a fantastic ending to a sublime game. There's little to say in terms of context, but it certainly caps off one of my favourite games of all time in a perfect way. Please - if you've not played this before, pick it up. You really won't regret it.

Hope you've enjoyed!

Next week: we REALLY annoy Balla.

Last edited by JayMoyles on Sat 21 Jun 2014 - 22:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySat 21 Jun 2014 - 10:09

I really, really need to get on and play this. In fact, I might go have a peek in the shop when I get back from the gym this morning.

And no offence to Mr Moyles, but I'm gonna let the music hit me for realsies before I go through the music week.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySat 21 Jun 2014 - 10:27

None taken! If it gets you playing it, then I've done my job! There's an HD PS3 version, right?

Also, there's one track you'll probably miss (I did on my playthrough) so make sure to come back here and listen to it!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySat 21 Jun 2014 - 18:50

Hmm. SotC is one of those multiformat games I've always wanted to play, but I can't say that most of the pieces jump out at me. Revived Power, for example, would I imagine be great in context, but on its own it doesn't do much to push itself above other "triumph" pieces.

The one that does stand out, though, is your favourite (although the image is broken): I'm a sucker for strings, as I've said elsewhere, especially ethereal strings. Lovely.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySat 21 Jun 2014 - 22:27

Fixed the broken image! A fair comment in regards to Revived Power - it really is all about the context with that track. I suppose it's the same with a lot of tracks in gaming - where that track falls in the game adds another layer to that track.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySat 21 Jun 2014 - 22:50

Good choice Jay. Interested to see what's next week seeing Balla we get annoyed by it (Hoping Ni Nu Kuni which is a good annoyance).

Drunka if you can pick up the Team Ico HD Collection.

Balla it's not multiformat it's on PS2 and then PS3 as a HD, It's a Sony studio exclusive.

Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySat 21 Jun 2014 - 22:58

Isn't it obvious what it's going to be?  Winky Face 

Also, Drunka did indeed pick up the ICO/SotC HD edition!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySat 21 Jun 2014 - 22:59

Did he that's excellent, did he post in the yesterday I bought early like I tend to do.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySat 21 Jun 2014 - 23:25

Nah, he tweeted me a picture of the game box!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySat 21 Jun 2014 - 23:27

Yeah seen it, I told him to put ICO on his game's to beat list and scrub Bayo off till Number 2 comes out and just play it then on the Wii U dressed as princess peach.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySun 22 Jun 2014 - 9:42

masofdas wrote:
Balla it's not multiformat it's on PS2 and then PS3 as a HD, It's a Sony studio exclusive.

Details!  It's not on a Nintendo console, so it looks like a smelly multiformat to me.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySun 22 Jun 2014 - 12:46

I found something really funny about you two talking about my exploits there.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptySun 22 Jun 2014 - 13:09

It's just a smelly playstation exclusive, worth playing balla would only cost you about £60 to get and a PS3. Even less for the ps2 original & the console.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptyMon 23 Jun 2014 - 1:59

Dead Space

Despite only having played about half of this game I absolutely love the sound direction & music so here's a few of my favourites so far.

Welcome aboard the U.S.G Ishimura - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nVkHXTeiOg

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 Usg_ishimura_by_supermcvader-d5u5int

---

The necromorphs attack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvjO-UhCyHw

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 Original
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 19:19

Some more musics. Something different this time, too...a bunch of Halo CE & Halo 2 tracks. 3 and the rest, maybe in some later posts.

"Perilous Journey" - Halo: Combat Evolved

"A Walk in the Woods" - Halo: Combat Evolved

"Under Cover of Night" - Halo: Combat Evolved

"Covenant Dance" - Halo: Combat Evolved

"On A Pale Horse" - Halo: Combat Evolved

"Halo" - Halo: Combat Evolved

"Heretic, Hero" - Halo 2

"Impend" - Halo 2

"In Amber Clad" - Halo 2

"Earth City" - Halo 2

"Unyielding" - Halo 2

"Reclaimer" - Halo 2

"Halo Theme -Mjolnir Mix-" - Halo 2

(Side note, whoever at Bungie thought to bundle bunches of level musics into "Suite" tracks...just...whyyyy. They do have some good stuff hidden in there but i'm not even gonna bother trying to post them)

And usual bonus pick:

"Replicated Angel" (Vocal)/(Guitar) - Atelier Vocal Collection Volkslied 3
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue 15 Jul 2014 - 18:54

I really like the Halo MJOLNIR Mix.

Also, cheers for the Dead Space tracks Jas - I'm too much of a wuss to play it.

Now...

The last two weeks didn't exist, okay? There were no gaps in me updating these music weeks.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 Tumblr_inline_n8oae6p4ut1r2wxpz

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 Mib_flashy_thing_done--article_image

Okay, it's Jay's Jingles - Week Three: Hotline Miami

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 Hotline-Miami-Logo-Small1

This game awakened something in me. No, not a desire to put on a grotesque animal mask and go on a brutal killing spree with an assortment of horrific murder weapons, but rather a love of the 80s Miami aesthetic and the music that comes with that. So, without any further ado, let's take a look at a few choice tracks from Hotline Miami.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 Hotline-miami

Horse Steppin' is the title theme, and it exudes a completely different feel than you'd expect from a game centered around murdering hundreds of gangsters. The odd, almost tribal singing, the constant but relaxing drumbeat, and the occasional sound of water trickling onto a shore... it all adds up to give this feeling of sitting on Miami Beach at sunset. It took me aback somewhat, as I wasn't expecting this tranquil opening screen. What's it trying to accomplish? Suggesting murder is relaxing? That psychotic breakdowns are peaceful? Probably none of this - but it is a gorgeous piece.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 2359254-whatthefuckyoulookingat

Each level opens with a scene in your apartment, and Daisuke plays in these scenes. They mostly serve as exposition, but once again, it's calmer than you'd expect from Hotline Miami. The sprinkling of piano, the great beat... you'd expect pumping bass and club beats, not this. It feels like a track you'd hear in a detective game, and to be fair, these apartment scenes do consist of you, the player, trying to piece together the madness of Hotline Miami. Anyway, speaking of pumping bass...

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 Maxresdefault

Miami Disco plays in a level set in a nightclub. And it's perfectly placed. You enter the club, spotting gangsters armed behind walls. You walk onto the dancefloor, guns blazing, people screaming, blood splattering everywhere... all whilst this plays. It certainly does the job of getting you amped up for the task ahead, as grotesque as that task is. The 80s synth is just glorious. This is the track that prompted me to build a playlist centered around tracks like this - I understand it might not be to everybody's tastes, but by god, I think it's stellar.

So there we are! I did plan to do a certain game by Fromsoft this week, but decided against it. Maybe next week...

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue 15 Jul 2014 - 19:01

Not what I was thinking would be the next game from you jay, but good job yet again.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue 15 Jul 2014 - 22:36

Jay wrote:

Also, cheers for the Dead Space tracks Jas - I'm too much of a wuss to play it.

Haha! I love me a good horror game that can jolt you out your seat from time to time & the music/audio of dead space can get you so tense as well, nice choice on hotline Miami by the way that's still a game I can throw on if I've got an half hour to spare which is what I done the other week.

Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed 16 Jul 2014 - 20:38

OK, that Hotline Miami disco track was ace.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed 23 Jul 2014 - 12:32

Glad you enjoyed it Jimbob! The game's full of tracks like that. If you get a chance to play it, I really recommend it - it's got that Miami Vice feel to it with a dash of Tarantino for good measure.

Time for another week!

Jay's Jingles - Week Four: Dark Souls

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 DARK-SOULS_logo_fix_White

Dark Souls came out of nowhere really for me. A few months back, noticing the rising hype for its sequel, I decided to delve in, knowing little about it beyond the fact that it was going to punt me in the balls and expect me to come back for more. And yeah, that happened. But what I didn't expect was to be ushered into one of the most immersive game worlds I've had the pleasure of exploring. It begs you to search out for any scrap of information as to what is going on in the desolate land of Lordran, and you'll find yourself happily obliging. Without any further ado, let's take a look at the superb sounds of Dark Souls.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 DarkSouls_FirelinkShrine

After a gruelling welcome to Dark Souls at the Undead Aslyum, you find yourself in Firelink Shrine, a hub area of sorts in the land of Lordran. On your arrival, hauntingly desolate strings sound up, tinged with an underlying feeling of melancholy. Considering there's very little told outright to you in Dark Souls, everything from item descriptions to the soundtrack have to play a role in creating a believable world. I feel that this track more than any other accomplishes that. This track, with its sad strings and the lonely chimes coupled with the crumbling and near-deserted locale of Firelink Shrine immediately makes you understand that this is a world in ruin. There's little in the way of happiness to be found here... all that remains is a solitary crestfallen figure, and you.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 Ornstein_smough

Ornstein and Smough take you on around the mid-point of the game. This boss fight is somewhat synonymous with the difficulty of Dark Souls. They're a brick wall for many players, and it's undoubtedly one of the most challenging fights in the game. The boss themes in Dark Souls generally follow the same formula of bombastic tracks with plenty of choral chanting, all designed to get you pumped up and in the zone to tackle a tough foe. I chose Ornstein and Smough's theme is the fight itself is an iconic one in the game, and I love the Castlevania vibes I get from this track. Nothing in this game feels as good as landing the final blow in this fight with those pounding drums resonating in your ears.

Now, I usually try to avoid anything majorly spoilery in my music weeks, but unfortunately, context is everything for the next two tracks. If you intend to play Dark Souls/are playing Dark Souls and you haven't beaten it and you don't want spoiled, avoid the spoiler box.

Spoiler:

Phew, that was a bit heavy, apologies. Next week - a fighting game!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed 23 Jul 2014 - 13:19

Good work yet again Jay, but is there any chance for me to post something next week ala Balla doing one in between Drunka, I've explained what it is else where.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed 23 Jul 2014 - 13:21

I don't see my music weeks as being the only thing that can be posted in this thread. If you've got an idea, like Jas with his Dead Space tracks above, then go ahead and post them!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed 23 Jul 2014 - 13:25

Didn't want to step on any toes, especially so soon maybe tomorrow then.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed 23 Jul 2014 - 17:23

No worries Mas! The more updates this thread gets, the better.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed 23 Jul 2014 - 21:28

Brilliant choices there Jay!

I found the firelink shrine music oddly comforting at times especially when I was having a horrid time in blight town not knowing where to go, really low on estus flasks I battled my way up some shaky wooden platforms and to my surprise found way back to firelink & when I heard the music kick in I had never been so relieved in a game ever.  Smile 

These themes are some of my favourites though:

Great grey wolf sif: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tuWvGee4T0

Gaping Dragon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr54gJZk_nM

(side note: Quite glad I have the OST on disc)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Official Nontendo Music Thread
Page 6 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next