We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Official Nontendo Music Thread

Go down 
+15
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
beemoh
masofdas
Treesmurf
Cube
The_Jaster
fronkhead
Jimbob
Admin
nupkin
Silver light
JayMoyles
Balladeer
Athrun888
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyTue 27 Jan 2015 - 23:51

I've not properly played a Jak game, apart from a brief go on a PS2 game at an ex's house 6 years ago, so I will endeavour to do so. Is there a version on the PS3 at all?
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 28 Jan 2015 - 0:00

There's a HD Trilogy on PS3
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 28 Jan 2015 - 6:17

Yep, there's an HD trilogy on PS3 - I got a copy for £15 off CEX, which is alright!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 28 Jan 2015 - 8:49

I would recommend simply downloading the first, 2 isn't worth a penny and 3 is an improvement but by no means a must play.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 29 Jan 2015 - 13:31

The only Way is Forward
Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Site_header

A Boy and His Blob
Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbnz2gBf1xG_71u18bSE7NmAQKg5-00Q7Nzn68-12ZDPvqs_G87A

Mighty Milky Way / Mighty Flip Champs!
Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Z

Mighty Switch Force
Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSei_I2-Oglq9WfMju38DI8e3tu7LOI-82t2kw99LjyZIFx7T2j

DuckTales Remastered
Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 2Q==

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrzzcS4KbfT7zOpv5Lt6qbljMGF_vvkjbs-Gqhp-Rynz-Sl37mVw
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 4 Feb 2015 - 11:32

Sorry Mas, totally missed this! I'll add it to the index. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyFri 6 Feb 2015 - 21:12

Oh Wayforward! You and your cartoon boobs! Rolling Eyes

But srs, I do like the murky bits of A Boy and His Blob.

It's kind of like the music I'm writing for my game *cough*plug
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptySun 29 Mar 2015 - 13:39

Final Fantasy Type-0 with bonus

I had two ideas for this one was Bioshock Infinite but I had this feeling I done  that before the other is Final Fantasy Type-O HD which is the Type of HD we should be getting and is one of the best Final Fantasy games with Final Fantasy in the title (we all know Bravely Default is basically FF in all bar name) for years.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 2725684-image-for-last-final-fantasy-type-0-hd-trailer-released
Tempus Bellum / Opening Theme

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Ace_FinalFantasy_Type-0
What Becomes of Us / Main Theme

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 FF-type-0-Team
Pure Fire

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 51092770
Rem's Theme

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Key_art
Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae Menu Theme

You can find all the tracks from the collectors soundtrack fro Final Fantasy Type-0 via my dropbox, I think

Last edited by masofdas on Thu 2 Apr 2015 - 22:22; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptySun 29 Mar 2015 - 16:10

That Final Fantasy XV theme is gorgeous. Good stuff Mas. Thumbs Up!

If you want, make this one our "official" music weeks - slap up a title on this post like the rest and I'll add it to the index. Smile
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptySat 2 May 2015 - 16:20

There hasn't been any non-Nintendo music of late, so since I'm playing Lightning Returns at the moment I figured I'd continue the Final Fantasy note Mas started with his lovely picks from Type-0 by sharing some of my personal favourite themes from both Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, both of which in general are some of my all time favourite game original soundtracks.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 45131410

We start with a quiet rendition of Lightning's theme, Lightning's Theme -Radiance-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZKkectsiw

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Ffxiii10

From there we move to one of my favourite themes in the entire trilogy, the eery yet wondrous Eclipse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxbsbdM0jZw

Next up the magnificent theme of one truly magnificent bastard, Caius's Theme, which busts out the typical orchestra and latin choir chanting to great aplomb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8vXYBEvSow

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 65258010

Moving back to Lightning Returns we turn to an epic battle theme reserved for monsters that can typical rip the player in two without proper preparation, The Showdown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6frMozW0TD4

As much as I adore all four of the city Yusnaan's themes I shall restrain myself and stick to just one, the upbeat Awaiting the Celebration, featuring some lovely use of the saxaphone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsDT_29CEM8

It just isn't a proper Final Fantasy final boss without a theme like this one, a simultaneously wondrous yet menacing orchestral theme complete with the now traditional latin choir, Divine Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATIV_F8YFgg

Finally I bring this round to a close with another bonus pick from XIII-2, Parallel Worlds full version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsTUdHOPpnA
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 21 May 2015 - 20:47

To carry the theme

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 FFX_X-2_HD_Tidus_1920x1200

To Zanarkand

Otherworld

This Is Your Story

Spira Unplugged

Yuna Theme

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Wall_X-2_03
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptySat 13 Jun 2015 - 14:22

*uses Phoenix Down*

So, perusing Balla's SMG2 music week got me hankering to revive this thread. I've been meaning to get around to it for weeks now, but laziness and forgetfulness always struck me before I could get to writing up a music week. But, inspiration has hit me, so it's time for the glorious revival of the Non-Nintendo music weeks!

Week Ten: Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Lr3h9el

Yes, it has a bloody stupid name. Yes, this is a thinly veiled attempt at getting round the "Street Fighter II was on SNES" loophole. No, I do not care. SSF2THDR (as it will never be called again) is a fantastic update of the early 90s classic fighting game, featuring updated visuals, online play, and most importantly for this thread, a fully remixed soundtrack done by the chaps over at OCRemix. Some are hits, some are misses - let's have a listen.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Qp3DfV5

Ryu's Theme

Ryu's Theme is arguably the closest thing to a main theme that the Street Fighter series has (although some would argue Ken's theme fits the bill just as well - this RAWKTASTIC version is pretty decent) so it would be remiss not to include here. Whilst I do prefer the simplicity of the original version, I think the HD Remix holds up well.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Yst024W

Guile's Theme

You've heard the original version before in a thousand YouTube videos, and quite frankly, it's far better than the HD Remix's version. There's something lost in this version - I don't know if it's the instrumentation, if it's just too busy as a track, or if the original version is just too iconic, but I don't like the remix's attempt here.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 A1oZZkQ

Zangief's Theme

Here's a successful remix, in my opinion. The original version was somewhat lacking, as it didn't really seem appropriate for a big Russian grappler. I think the first twenty seconds alone of the remix nails Zangief far better than the SNES version - here comes the Red Cyclone, move the fuck out of the way. The rest of the track is similarly hyped up. A win for OCRemix here.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 7hjSse7

Balrog's Theme

Whilst I appreciate the attempt at trying something different here, this feels really out of place. It'd likely fit better in Bayonetta. The original version feels more Street Fighter to me.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 ODwXmT4

The Character Select theme

This is the biggest failure in my book, and is somewhat indicative of the failings of the Remix's OST as a whole. The original is a short, simple and catchy loop. The remix is a bit too busy for my likings. Perhaps the more complex remixes will suit your ears better - I think something's lost here.

So that's that! An odd OST this one - a lot of the tracks don't really fit a fighting game and the soundtrack as a whole suffers from an addiction to RAWKTASTIC guitars. Perhaps that's a byproduct of utilising remixers for your actual soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptySat 13 Jun 2015 - 15:43

Hm, I'm coming from slightly different places to you, Jay.

Better:
Balrog
Character select

Worse:
Ryu
Guile

Neither are much good:
Zangief

Guile's in particular is a travesty.  It's too gentle, and they've changed the rhythm of only the most iconic tune in the game. Duh! Ryu's theme is mostly better in the original because of the woodblock sounds, mind.  Interesting to see what they do for SSB4, if he makes it over.

Bear in mind that I have no nostalgic attachment to SFII, having never played it ( Afraid ).  That said, Ken's tune is definitely the game's theme. Razz
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptySat 13 Jun 2015 - 22:21

Ah, gutted you don't like Zangief's theme - that's probably my favourite from this soundtrack. Agreed about Guile's theme - it lacks the intensity of the original, I reckon.

As for "what is the main theme of Street Fighter" question, I put forward Ryu's because I'm fairly certain that's what played on Street Fighter IV's main menu, and that's the game I've had the most exposure. Either work, really!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptySun 14 Jun 2015 - 10:17

I really like the Balrog one! It's sort of unexpected! And - sorry Jay - I'm not keen on the Zangief one. It sounds like a million YouTube videos where the guy can't really play the guitar that well.
But you're right about Ryu's being awesome, and the Guile theme missing the point.

Just listened to some of the others there - Ken's is exactly right.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptySun 14 Jun 2015 - 13:48

I didn't mind Balrog's theme, honestly. But it felt out of place, hence why I ragged on it slightly.

I love Ken's theme in this game. Fond memories of grf741 absolutely schooling me as Ken with that playing in the background.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015 - 13:45

How haven't I done this game, which is in a lot of peoples minds at the moment.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 ShenmueHD-600x378

Main Theme Orchestral Version

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Large

Nozomi and Ryo

The Place Where The Sun Sets

Wish Vocal Version

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 54fd6065-1954-433c-983a-4cbfb0094cfb-shenmue-ii

Intro

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Shenmue_2_800-edc57
Joy's Theme

Catching Catching Leaves

Forest Part 4

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 2889188-title007_0605

Shenmue III Kickstarter theme
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 22 Jul 2015 - 13:40

One I'd meant to do after E3, but you know what I'm like for actually updating this thread. I really should rename it "Non-Nintendo Music Indeterminate Timeframes". Laughing

Nevertheless, we press onward!

Week Eleven: Final Fantasy VII (PS1)

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Ff7_logo

Some call it the greatest RPG of all time. Some even call it the greatest game of all time. Regardless of your opinion of Final Fantasy VII's arguably dated gameplay and graphics, it's difficult to finish playing it without coming away with fond memories of its world and characters. Midgar, Nibelheim, Cosmo Canyon, Gold Saucer... Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Aerith... The world of Final Fantasy VII is one of its greatest boons, and I think that's in no small part thanks to Nobuo Uematsu's wonderful score. Whilst listening to the OST to pick out a few tracks to feature from the game, I was instantly back in FF7's world. It's a nostalgic, melancholic score - and here's some of my favourites.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Ff7-midgar

Anxious Heart is the track that best defines what I meant when I said FF7's score brings me back into that world. Within the opening seconds of the track, I'm instantly back in the desolate, dystopian city of Midgar. Anxious Heart really highlights the bleakness of Midgar - the blocky graphics might not accurately depict how horrid Midgar is, but this track more than accomplishes the job.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 T2GK2gl

Final Fantasy's main theme plays whilst you traverse the overworld on foot, and I'll always associate with a feeling of excitement and going out to explore the world. A streamer I follow named Vinesauce talked about how he was totally stunned as a child playing this game when he left Midgar only to find a sprawling world map to explore. He assumed that Midgar would comprise most of the game, but he was happily mistaken. It's the same feeling you got when first entering Hyrule Field - there's an adventure to be had out there, and we're only just getting started. Listen to 2:40 - that swell in the track encapsulates that feeling for me.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Aeris-prayer

Jim Sterling talked about Aerith's theme in his latest Jimquisition episode and it prompted me to include it here. I really shouldn't need to put a spoiler warning on this, but I will just in case:

Spoiler:

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 00009

Naturally, everyone points to the cracking One Winged Angel boss theme as the quintessential Sephiroth track. It's awe-inspiring and epic - a true boss theme. To me though, the quintessential Sephiroth track is Those Chosen by the Planet. It's just dripping with malice - Sephiroth is an unhinged maniac, and I reckon this brooding theme gets that across better than One Winged Angel.

I really could go on to post the full OST, as it's all great. I'm really excited for the remake, but I hope they don't touch the original tracks too much beyond orchestrating them. They're great as they are.

Anyone else got favourites from FFVII I didn't mention?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 22 Jul 2015 - 18:26

Just looking this page it's become a FF / JRPG Fanfest, clearly to be marked as not for Cappa.

Some great tunes, most I only know due to popularity or if they popped up on other things then the actual game.

FFVIII next then followed by the actual best Final Fantasy IX.

Also to add to my Shenmue piece Suzuki's fav track is this.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 23 Jul 2015 - 6:10

I've got VIII on Steam, so maybe once I've played through that I can write up a music week for it. And you could take on FFIX's music week in the future as it's your favourite!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 23 Jul 2015 - 9:56

masofdas wrote:
Just looking this page it's become a FF / JRPG Fanfest, clearly to be marked as not for Cappa.

That's not surprising for a couple of reasons: Cappa doesn't have a non-Nintendo (current gen.) console, so he's not there to type "*boaks*" after every FF soundtrack; and JRPGs do tend to go for the epic sweeping stuff that tickles our eardrums.  A focus on story over gameplay (often) demands that the world be brought to life a bit more, and such games typically tend to be 30h+ sagas that merit that sort of music.

Last edited by Balladeer on Thu 23 Jul 2015 - 11:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 23 Jul 2015 - 10:57

Balladeer wrote:
masofdas wrote:
Cappa doesn't have a Nintendo console,

That's good then as this is non-Nintendo Winky Face

But I knew what you meant also he has a 360 and some retro just no current gen and most on here are not current gen

Last edited by masofdas on Thu 23 Jul 2015 - 11:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 23 Jul 2015 - 11:03

Aye, edited for clarification.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptyFri 24 Jul 2015 - 7:30

Balladeer wrote:
 A focus on story over gameplay (often) demands that the world be brought to life a bit more, and such games typically tend to be 30h+ sagas that merit that sort of music.

That's probably why I personally enjoy RPG OSTs more than any other genre. I enjoy when tracks have a distinct world-building purpose as opposed to just sounding great, and you don't get that as often in non-RPGs.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 EmptySat 25 Jul 2015 - 9:12

@Balla what I was saying in my reply to you that there is no reason why Cappa wouldn't have a look here as he has had other systems and for a while this has been mainly retro systems.

@Jay I could look at FFIX at some point if you want me to
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Official Nontendo Music Thread
Page 11 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next