We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Official Nontendo Music Thread

Go down 
+15
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
beemoh
masofdas
Treesmurf
Cube
The_Jaster
fronkhead
Jimbob
Admin
nupkin
Silver light
JayMoyles
Balladeer
Athrun888
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptySat 25 Jul 2015 - 10:22

Sure Mas! Perhaps not for a few more music weeks though - I've already got a guest week lined up for the next installment and I've got a couple of ideas for after that. I'll PM you though when it's time for some FFIX. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyTue 28 Jul 2015 - 17:39

Drunka's Music When-He-Remembers Number 10/10

Dark Souls

So, it turns out trusting the forum drunk to be in charge of regular weekly updates is a bad idea. Who'da thunk it? Anyway, Jay and the Balls Man seem to have picked up the music weeks/ months/ whatever again quite nicely, so I'll do what I do best and turn up now and again with the occasional absolute stonker. And of course, for my glorious return I'm gonna give you the Best Game Ever.
This is actually the first music post I'm doing for a game soundtrack I own on CD, but typically I've picked two that aren't even on the disk.

5: Bartholomew
The Silent Comedy
Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 Dark%20souls%202%20trailer%20crop
Not a song from the game, but intrinsically linked to it for me thanks to being all over the trailers. Being an absolute tune helped it get onto this list as well.
Here's the band playing it live.

4: Menu Theme
Motoi Sakuraba
Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 Cheat-death-dark-souls-by-using-save-game-exploit.1280x600
This slow, mournful music plays as you start the game and as you make your character. It really reminds me of similar tunes from the Resident Evil series and does an excellent job of letting you know what a tragic masterpiece awaits you.
Because I'm a sucker for acoustic guitar covers.

3: Prologue
Motoi Sakuraba
Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 Dark-souls-prologue-part-3
Dark Souls' opening is amazing, starting chilling and eventually building into an epic action scene. The tale of "grey crags, arch trees and everlasting dragons" and the lords is powerful stuff, like the ancient Greek myths, and when the player eventually gets involved in these characters at the latter end of the game it really feels like a big deal.
And here it is with the gorgeous visuals and haunting narration.

2: Sif, The Great Grey Wolf
Motoi Sakuraba
Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 Sif-the-great-grey-wolf-large
Now, I could easily have filled this list with boss themes but I forced myself not to. Sif didn't have the most action-packed tune (for my money, that's the gaping dragon) but the sorrow in this song really suited that battle I didn't want to fight. Amazing, gorgeous, tragic stuff.
A lovely little guitar cover.

1: Firelink Shrine
Motoi Sakuraba
Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 2115410-darksouls_firelinkshrine
This phenomenal piece of music does so many things. Warm and homey when you find yourself miraculously making it here after a tough fight, hauntingly evocative of the dying world Firelink sits in and just a little tense, enough to warn you what's coming. What else could I pick?
Here's a really gentle piano cover.
How about an 8-bit version?
And to finish off, a funky-as-anything remix!

Last edited by Drunkalilly on Sat 3 Aug 2019 - 7:37; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 0:02

Firelink is my go-to track for Dark Souls because of how it perfectly encapsulates the tone of the game. Also, it's a cracking piece of music unto itself.

I'd forgotten how lovely the menu theme was for Dark Souls. It reminds me of something you'd hear in Oblivion (another game with a lovely OST). Top work, Drunka! Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 12:20

I gave these a listen while I was farming in Belfry Sol in DSII (still going for that plat trophy) some really good picks there & the menu theme really is similar to resi evil's save room music.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 15:41

Sakuraba is a seriously gifted composer when he tries and isn't phoning it in like he does with Tales Of (okay not all of his Tales Of music is bland and boring, but most of it is).  He seems to do the dark fantasy stuff particularly well, as evidenced with both his masterful Dark Souls and his Valkyrie Profile 2 scores.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyThu 22 Oct 2015 - 10:10

I'm amazed - and quite appalled - that it's taken me almost fifteen years to find out that Snoop Dogg performed a rap dedicated to Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec on the PlayStation 2. It's on the US soundtrack as well!

Fair enough, we got Feeder's three best songs (Buck Rogers, Seven Days In The Sun and Just A Day, natch) on the UK track list, but me missing out on Snoop Dogg rapping about Gran Turismo could have been one of gaming's greatest travesties.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyThu 22 Oct 2015 - 10:19

No Snoop, I never seen a racing game this astounding.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyThu 22 Oct 2015 - 14:26

What is it with Snoop and contributing to PS2 era racing game soundtracks? Driftin', liftin', swiftin', coastin' with Snoop.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyThu 22 Oct 2015 - 17:44

That's really good song as well there Jay. Thumbs Up! He was also in the True crime streets of LA game & again has the song "Dance wit me" on the soundtrack.

Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptySat 12 Dec 2015 - 20:37

*blows dust off thread*

So, with Balla making an Undertale thread, I've been giving the motivation DETERMINATION to update this thread. I'd honestly meant to write about Undertale's soundtrack already, but with starting a new job and all, time slipped away from me. But there's no time like the present, so let's rock!

Week Thirteen - Undertale

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 Undertale-logo

Undertale is this year's indie darling - a love letter to the JRPG whilst not really being a JRPG itself, chock-a-block with witty dialogue, wonderful characters and a plot wholly unafraid of breaking the fourth wall. It's one of the few videogames to ever make me properly emotional. In fact, I decided not to go down the game's "genocide" route - which involves killing every character you meet - as I couldn't bear the thought of killing all the friends I'd made on my journey. I'll have more to say on this in a write-up later on, but for now, let's enjoy some of Toby Fox's amazing OST.

A note: I like to write about the context behind the tracks in these updates as I'm not the best at critiquing them based on their musical content (well, not much more than "those guitars sound well good innit"). Considering this game should be played with as little context as possible, I'm going to put nearly all of my comments in spoiler boxes. Also, be very wary of YouTube comments when listening to the tracks. There'll be spoilers and shit opinions in there, trust me.

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 Latest?cb=20150725040713

Enemy Approaching

Okay, so no spoiler box here. This is the game's main battle theme, and you'll be hearing it a lot. Thankfully, it's a good 'un - catchy, upbeat and a little weird. It's much like Undertale itself! Not much more to say here, besides bemoaning the lack of any decent covers of this. Onwards!

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 Tj7x8yi

Ghost Fight

Dummy!

Ghost Fight (Jazz Cover)

Spoiler:

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 Latest?cb=20151029062840

Spider Dance

Spider Dance (Metal Cover) - some mild spoilers in video itself, so click out and just listen if you're concerned!

Spoiler:

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 Latest?cb=20150927172734

Heartache

Heartache (Piano Cover)

Bergentrückung/ASGORE

Bergentrückung/ASGORE (Metal Cover)

Spoiler:

(Not including an image here. If you've played the game and know where the next track plays, you'll understand why.)

Your Best Nightmare

g a r d e n (Your Best Nightmare remix, spoilers in video itself so beware!)

Spoiler:

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 8a38048b9ff5ac0016e5ef77fb4d4592

MEGALOVANIA

MEGALOVANIA Vocal Cover (absolutely spoilers in this one)

Spoiler:

This is only a small sample of Undertale's OST - I could have easily included more tracks, but I want to leave some surprises if you've not played it before. If you have, share your favourites here or chat about the tracks I've chosen!

Until next time, whenever that may be! Stay determined.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptySat 12 Dec 2015 - 23:09

I knew it would be UT before I clicked! Will thoroughly enjoy reading through/ listening to these later.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 14:58

Of course it was going to be Undertale. Razz

If a game's OST makes it onto my phone to listen to on the go, it's something special. And considering Toby Fox is now apparently one of my most listened to artists according to Last.fm, I had to do a music week on this as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 16:53

Excellent selection, man! What a game Undertale was; just went on that emotional rollercoaster all over again listening to these. Part of me wants to go full heel one day, but I know I'd never be able to go through with it.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptySun 13 Dec 2015 - 17:58

I couldn't do it because of this scene that plays out when you boot up the game after the true ending. True ending spoilers in that, natch.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 14:28

I still hope to play UT at some point, so I'll hold off on listening. But I loved Toby Fox's work before he was cool. Cool He's got a TVTropes page with links to all his music. I'll make the odd recommendation when I have access to Bandcamp, i.e. not at work.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 16:14

We should do that planned MGS week, Drunka & Jay
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 20:31

Balladeer wrote:
I still hope to play UT at some point, so I'll hold off on listening.  But I loved Toby Fox's work before he was cool. Cool He's got a TVTropes page with links to all his music.  I'll make the odd recommendation when I have access to Bandcamp, i.e. not at work.

You were into Homestuck, right? And I'm right in saying he scored some of that?

Mas: Sure! I was thinking more Metal Gear marathon than squeezing it all into one week though. Metal Gear deserves the extra time. I was thinking covering MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, Peace Walker and mashing up Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain into one MGSV installment. Throw your name into the hat for any of those and I'll divvy them up. Same to you Drunka, if you're reading! If more than one of us wants the same game, I'll chuck our names into a randomizer and see who comes out.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 20:42

I still would be if it weren't on hiatus. Sulk And yes, if you look at the TVTropes, you'll see just how much he's contributed. Here are three of my favourite tunes of his, in context (don't worry about what's actually going on):

Black
Umbral Ultimatum
Moonsetter

And here's the original MeGaLoVania.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 14 Dec 2015 - 20:46

@Jay I would just be thinking of certain songs from certain games in the series maybe not a whole game, that it may be better if I just send you some I like and you go from there, when you plan to do it.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyTue 15 Dec 2015 - 13:03

I'm definitely up for doing metalg ear tunes! (Typo, but I'm pretending it was a deliberate ear pun)

As long as I get MGS 3, I'll do the ones you don't want. Oh, and I wouldn't mind doing the MSX Metal Gear games, as I've played both of those.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyTue 15 Dec 2015 - 23:06

Longtime NGamer Forumite and World's Most Miserable Bastard NGCube said on Twitter that the only good thing to come out of that Final Video Presentation was that this Bayonetta song would be featured in Smash.

To be fair, what a tune that is.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyTue 15 Dec 2015 - 23:10

That video gives me an advert to "Date Sexy Thai Women". Google know Bayonetta's audience. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyTue 15 Dec 2015 - 23:13

That's based on your own browsing history, ya randy savage!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyTue 15 Dec 2015 - 23:16

Nonsense, I use private browsing to...  I mean, if I were to, I'd use... oh dear. Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 EmptyTue 15 Dec 2015 - 23:20

There are people who don't use adblock on youtube!? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Official Nontendo Music Thread
Page 12 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next