We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Official Nontendo Music Thread

Go down 
+15
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
beemoh
masofdas
Treesmurf
Cube
The_Jaster
fronkhead
Jimbob
Admin
nupkin
Silver light
JayMoyles
Balladeer
Athrun888
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyMon 13 May 2019 - 10:55

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
It makes you feel like a prick, because you're wrong!

One theme that can get booted either way is the Scotland theme from Ducktales 2. Fair enough, I'm not expecting a chiptune rendition of Loch Lomond, but this is the theme song you give to a Spooky Cupboard level. SHITE!

There's nothing wrong with feeling that on occasion, no matter what American Christianity might say. Naughty

I misread that post and was about to say it's not too bad a horror piece, certainly not compared to this YCW travesty; but... Scotland? SHITE indeed!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyWed 29 May 2019 - 22:36

Just to highlight how good the tunes in Team Sonic Racing are, there's an innocuous song that plays while you're on the menu for the fifth chapter of races. It's probably just meant to be filling the silence, and the composer mightn't have spent more than ten minutes on it, but I find it really calming and relaxing.

I get the same vibe off of it that I did with the old Wii Weather Channel music.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu 30 May 2019 - 8:09

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 D7v0UqjXYAAYt7T

You would think a game that isn't even out yet, wouldn't have much to pick from in the terms of music. Well, this a Kojima game and we know he does like his tunes which may make Death Stranding the first game that Sony Interactive Entertainment has partnered with Sony Music directly to include licensed stuff in the game and even do an album.

And so far we have four tracks

First up in the first track we heard from American-Icelandic Low Roar

That isn't the only track from Low Roar as the Death Stranding Vinyl also features Easy Way Out

The only track used so far with lyrics is from Japanese duo Silent Poets ft New Zealander Leila Adu

The newest track is from Finnish group Apocalyptica

These are the ones we know so far but we know both Chvrches and Grimes have been to Kojima Productions but so has the likes of Diane Kruger who doesn't seem to be acting in the game.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu 30 May 2019 - 20:26

Some of these tracks have been around for years, so I'd probably consider this cheating. Winky Face

Incidentally, the third track isn't technically the only track with lyrics used so far in marketing as the Japanese trailer used Path Vol. II by Apocalyptica.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu 30 May 2019 - 20:28

Tell Kojima he's cheating by using tunes that have been around for years.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyMon 23 Sep 2019 - 21:05

FIFA is great, and it's a series that's introduced millions of folk to new tunes. That's just swell. Here's my favourite/most memorable song from each of the one's this decade. Whether they're really good tunes or just ones that take me back to the autumn nights of yesteryear where I'd play FIFA from when I finished work until when I went off for a kip, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

FIFA 19:

FIFA 18:

FIFA 17:

FIFA 16:

FIFA 15:

FIFA 14:

FIFA 13:

FIFA 12:

FIFA 11:

FIFA 10:

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyMon 23 Sep 2019 - 22:05

I tried. Aww! I can absolutely see why it would work for most people, and indeed get them into some new artists. Personally, game tunes with lyrics that make sense and that I understand very rarely work for me, and most modern music falls under the same umbrella.  My favourite was that Avicii song: didn't try to drop the beat as soon as possible in the fear that the disco-goers would loose interest.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu 26 Sep 2019 - 21:15

Ah, sorry you didn't get along with those, Balla. I agree with the Kid, that there are some great songs on the FIFAs - I don't think I would have chosen those as my favourites, there's such an eclectic mix.

From the games I had I'd pick a top 3 of:

FIFA 19
Either Gold Rush by Death Cab for Cutie, Where No One Knows Your Name by Stereo Honey or Play God by Sam Fender
But not It's Not This by Bearson - my dad changed the lyrics to "I have a hamster, and it's not fed"

FIFA 16 - this one's hard to limit to 3, there are so many bloody amazing songs here
Pretend by Seinabo Sey, Mountain at my Gates by Foals, and Darkest Ocean by All Tvvins

FIFA 13 - Cappa is of course right that On Top of the World is the best, but three others are
Hail Bop by Django Django, Feud by Band of Horses, and G# by Kitten - which is ironically in A flat (there's a little music joke for you all there)
Also have a bonus Spark by Fitz and the Tantrums - or as you all know it, the Argos one.

I probably shouldn't have done this; it got a bit sentimental...
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptySat 14 Dec 2019 - 23:17

Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EEkzy7-XoAAvhLa

This past week was The Game Awards where Death Stranding won best score/soundtrack and if you did read my review in the last game finished thread then you'll know that I pointed out how the music in the game plays a great part in building the atmosphere.

We start with Ludens from Bring Me The Horizon which is part of the Timefall and is sort of in the game

Something that is in the game Beached Things

The theme of BB, best baby in gaming?

Some of the comments tell you all you need to know

DS has a lot of Low Roar, I picked this one because of the name (Smurf will get it)

From TGA the credits song from CHVRCHES

DS and SWH are hard picks for soundtrack of the year for me, hopefully you will see or should that be hear why from these.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyMon 15 Jun 2020 - 21:50

Something I meant to put together a wee while ago - some choice tunes from FFVII:R!

What a way to open the game. The Bombing Mission might be one of the best openings to any game I've ever played. A high octane attack on Mako Reactor 1, an introduction to some of the game's key cast members and this utterly bombastic piece playing you through your assault.

I think this game does a terrific job of its boss encounters and the Airbuster is a clear standout thanks to this banger of a track. It's definitely a tricky encounter and they spend a whole chapter building up your showdown with this high-powered mech. The fight delivers in spades, as does its rocking theme.

Midgar really feels like a living breathing city and walking through the slums, you get a real feel of the seediness and squalor that its residents have to endure. I think this track perfectly encapsulates that feel - industrial and moody.

Just beautiful. Nobuo Uematsu's original compositions are masterpieces and they're being given the care and love they deserve.

There's so many more tracks I could highlight, but these were some of my favourites. Any standouts from you guys?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyTue 16 Jun 2020 - 20:30

Half of the videos are already dead. Laughing Bloody YouTube. I'll give the others a listen when I'm in a soberer(ererer) mood!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyTue 16 Jun 2020 - 20:33

I knew I was going to do something today but totally forgot to give these a listen whilst on the PC
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu 18 Jun 2020 - 23:17

I've switched my PS4 theme between the various FFVII ones that I have and they all have a different track and they're all brilliant to the point I just leave the menu on for about 5 minutes doing nothing, I think overall this might possibly be my favourite game in terms of music.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2020 - 18:40

and of course

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyMon 22 Jun 2020 - 19:21

I think the problem I have with the FFVII soundtrack is that it probably set a lot of the musical clichés in motion regarding JRPGs, but as someone coming new to most of the tunes they now sound like the clichés they originally helped create. I found Airbuster a bit 'generic JRPG rock', liked but didn't love the strings in the main theme (that 'cello's got a really buzzy string and it jars with me), and while the orchestration in OWA is top, I've heard the piece too often and think it's kind of overrated compared to, say, Dancing Mad. Aerith's theme is lovely piano, and probably my favourite of the four; but again, that sort of thing has been done for many a similar character or scene in many a JRPG these days and I don't have the nostalgia of when the idea was young.

I'm being really negative on the forum today - sorry chaps! I do appreciate how special all of this must have been at the time when Super Mario 64 was wowing me with MIDI merry-go-rounds.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyMon 22 Jun 2020 - 20:29

Balla do you actually like video games
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyWed 24 Jun 2020 - 13:47

I know my link died, but if you can find a version of Main Theme/Bombing Run on YT - that's the soundtrack's standout for me. I don't think it's very fair to lambast the game for being clichéd when, like you said, it created a lot of these clichés in the first place. It's the grandaddy of modern JRPG soundtracks and it still does it better than most in my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu 25 Jun 2020 - 19:22

There only seems to be the one video, and it's been taken down. Sulk

JayMoyles wrote:
I don't think it's very fair to lambast the game for being clichéd when, like you said, it created a lot of these clichés in the first place. It's the grandaddy of modern JRPG soundtracks and it still does it better than most in my humble opinion.

I hope I didn't lambast it, but (perhaps predictably) I disagree! I think there's an argument that the original's soundtrack should be preserved as an aspect of its time and what set such things in motion, although even then I'd be listening to it now. Nah nah! The remake, though, is being released and played at the same time as new games, and not everybody who comes to it afresh will have played the original! I think it's fair, therefore, to judge the re-orchestrated soundtrack against modern JRPGs, and in my humble unsubtle and often wrong opinion it doesn't quite have the same impact.

Bear in mind, though: I'm the same person who lambasts Super Mario Bros. in this day and age for being surpassed in level design and functionality by all the myriad games it inspired. Shifty In short:

Rum Rapture wrote:
Balla do you actually like video games

Not most old ones!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptySat 27 Jun 2020 - 18:50

Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu 2 Jul 2020 - 1:10

Balladeer wrote:

I hope I didn't lambast it, but (perhaps predictably) I disagree!  I think there's an argument that the original's soundtrack should be preserved as an aspect of its time and what set such things in motion, although even then I'd be listening to it now. Nah nah! The remake, though, is being released and played at the same time as new games, and not everybody who comes to it afresh will have played the original!  I think it's fair, therefore, to judge the re-orchestrated soundtrack against modern JRPGs, and in my humble unsubtle and often wrong opinion it doesn't quite have the same impact.

I think you've touched on a good point there in that having played and having been very familiar with the original, a lot of the game's tracks had the added oomph of nostalgia behind them to drive them home. I still maintain that it's an incredibly good soundtrack but I think a big part of what makes the tracks land for me is the context in which you hear them. FFVII:R does a terrific job in creating a believable space with Midgar and I think very few RPGs are proficient at doing that. The music is a big element of that to me but without the context of wandering through the slums with Cloud and the gang, something will have been lost

Now FFXIV... when I'm finished with it in the year 2042, I'll be posting a whopper series of music posts in here. That game's OST consistently impresses me.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu 17 Dec 2020 - 21:27

I played through this level and along the way found a couple of secret walls with a load of writing, it wasn't until further on in the stage that I spotted a giant singing representation of a GPU and it clicked that the writing was actually the lyrics to this song. Anyway I like this song because it's a bit silly but in the context of the level was really charming when all the pieces for together, much like Astro's Playroom as a whole.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptySun 24 Jan 2021 - 21:35

The end credits track for Cyberpunk 2077
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptySun 25 Apr 2021 - 22:44

This got into my head when I was playing the Street Hoop games a couple of weeks back. In every sense, an amazing tune.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyMon 26 Apr 2021 - 19:29

I can absolutely jam to that (oh-ho!).
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu 20 May 2021 - 19:07

Pro Evolution Soccer 5 and 6's menu music, the best combo since Mary-Kate and Ashley.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Nontendo Music Thread   Official Nontendo Music Thread - Page 18 Empty

Back to top Go down

Official Nontendo Music Thread
Page 18 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: Gaming Miscellaneous :: Nontendo-
Jump to: