We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch

Go down 
+12
Treesmurf
Jimbob
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
Balladeer
The Cappuccino Kid
Athrun888
EofGizmo
Muss
Crumpy Andy
masofdas
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyTue 17 Jul 2018 - 8:37

I don't play go because I have a crap phone and no Japanese sim card (yet!), but I think the "research" is just a bunch of little subquests. Catch X number of Pokemon, evolve Y number of Pokemon, do this challenge, catch that rare dude, blah blah blah.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyTue 17 Jul 2018 - 18:59

Ah. I'll probably take dungeon exploration over that, to be fair!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyTue 24 Jul 2018 - 20:23

Not entirely sure how the field research tasks would translate to a console Pokemon game, you get rewarded with items so whilst they're quite enjoyable to do on GO they would probably need some other kind of reward unless they make items harder to come by.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyThu 2 Aug 2018 - 22:43

My problem with Let's Go is that they feel almost like the anti-Pokémon generation 1.

Generation 1 were released and designed at a time when there weren't massive expectations for the games to perform as multi-million dollar series, and without the expectations of hardcore fans looming over their head. So as games, they are designed in a rather pure way.

Let's Go isn't so lucky, and a lot of its new mechanics feel like they've been added in because there's the assumption that Go players would like them, not because they'd actually work well in practice. I mean, I'm sure a lot of them are harmless additions, but they do feel like they are watering down the tight designs of the original games.

At the same time it feels like Game Freak have their priorities the wrong way round with this new line of remakes and the "main" series: It seems like the main series are going to stick to old traditions as to not upset long-time enthusiasts and fans, and it's the Let's Go line that tries new things. I'd rather they were trying new things in entirely new games, rather than try them in decades-old ones where the designers are restricted by the source material.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyFri 3 Aug 2018 - 20:59

Pokémon seems to tie itself in knots with the new things it comes up with, because it then it carries them laboriously across generations, not quite knowing what to do with them. Examples would be the Mega Pokémon and Triple Battles.

I'd say that S&M were an attempt to do some new things with the core series. The Poké Ride, scrapping gyms, even what they did with the Champion battle. Not revolutionary moves maybe, but certainly new things. Likewise I don't actually see a whole lot that's new in LGP&E: there are bits taken from the originals, and Go, and occasionally Yellow/HGSS. But it all seems a call-back to nostalgia, and/or an attempt to simplify down, and an attempt to leech (life) off the popularity of Pokémon Go.

Anyway! Look at Venusaur lolloping about! Love
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptySat 4 Aug 2018 - 18:43

I think Sun and Moon did a cracking job at reinventing the series and I hope they continue with it in Generation 8. I really think the region helped it do that more than anything because it was so different. I feel that's why remakes and ones that try and play on nostalgia like Gen 6 didn't feel as exciting.

I honestly don't expect more than a nostalgia trip from Let's Go but I think I'm ok with that, I can forgive it if some of the GO mechanics don't work because I won't be playing it with the mindset of it being a new game but a different take on the originals.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyTue 7 Aug 2018 - 11:05

I'm the same as Treesmurf, Let's go will just be a pure nostalgic trip through Kanto with my first Gen team and that's it.
As for Sun and Moon I do like the rode Pokemon in the fact that I can finally use a full Eevee evolution team with no HM slave
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyTue 7 Aug 2018 - 22:24

The HM removal is a big plus.

With this game I'm not sure who I'll have in my team. Snorlax probably, I love the fat fella, but apart from them. I just have memories of psychics being utter bastards to beat, and without any Dark/Ghost moves (and Bug moves restricted to Pin Missile/Twineedle) that doesn't leave a lot. Not unless they carry the new moves over and Butterfree can Quiver Dance to victory, but that seems unlikely.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyFri 10 Aug 2018 - 4:58

I'm pretty sure move sets and typing will be up to date. It has Alolan forms and Megas after all.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptySat 11 Aug 2018 - 8:15

To be fair, that was revealed since I made that last post! But yes. Which is kind of a shame, as I maintain Megas are bobbins. I wouldn't mind if you got the Mega Stone on Victory Road and that was the only one you got. Do we know that we get Alolan forms? If so I'm all over Alolan Vulpix. All over it.

I wonder if we'll get Z-moves too? It would make sense, as that's the only way an unevolvable Eevee will be anything more than rubbish in combat.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptySat 11 Aug 2018 - 21:02

Would much rather have Z-moves over Mega Evolution definitely so I've got my fingers crossed for them.

I've realised today how cheap this trading from Pokemon GO mechanic could get. Shiny Pokemon are a lot more frequent in it and when you do Community days you end up with even more, I got u shiny Eevee today, whilst at work!

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyThu 15 Nov 2018 - 23:49

So the day is here! At one point my plan was to buy a copy for myself and a copy + a Switch for Shen, then play it along with her.

Now, with expensive flights and other costs sneaking up, I don't know how soon I can do that and if I leave it too late I'll miss the buzz for talking about it on LLP . . .

So basically Imma pick this up and play it but do the whole thing slightly begrudgingly . . .
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Nov 2018 - 8:13

Is anyone picking this up that actively dislikes Pokemon Go? I can't find an opinion on the game from anyone else that thinks the catching mechanic is naff...
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Nov 2018 - 13:29

I've hardly touched Pokemon Go, so can't really help you matey.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Nov 2018 - 16:35

Crumpy Andy wrote:
Is anyone picking this up that actively dislikes Pokemon Go? I can't find an opinion on the game from anyone else that thinks the catching mechanic is naff...

It's all about that Go catching mechanic, but with added Switch motion controls.

What I've played of Let's Go Pikachu hasn't been all about catching Pokemon though, and I think it would be enjoyed by anybody who's got good memories of Red, Blue and Yellow on the Game Boy, even those who dislike Pokemon Go. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Nov 2018 - 21:03

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Crumpy Andy wrote:

It's all about that Go catching mechanic, but with added Switch motion controls.

What I've played of Let's Go Pikachu hasn't been all about catching Pokemon though, and I think it would be enjoyed by anybody who's got good memories of Red, Blue and Yellow on the Game Boy, even those who dislike Pokemon Go. Thumbs Up!

I was into Pokemon Go for a while but never got to the point where I was actually fighting gyms and stuff, it was just a distraction while I was walking around. From the sounds of it I'll enjoy Let's Go seeing as Pokemon Blue was the first game I got with a GBC for Christmas when I was 8. Prime Pokemon age. Much memories.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Nov 2018 - 8:46

Played this for about 6hrs yesterday and here we go again the controls are weird.

This one makes more sense due to the motion controls and just the stick to move meaning you use one Joy-Con.

I tried it a few ways and for the comfiest for me is using the left Joy-Con in my right hand due to stick placement and being right handed easier to do the motion of catching Pokémon.

I don't get why they didn't go Wii style with left Joy-Con being a Nunchuck and the right Joy-Con being a Wiimote as a option.

Still in my time playing, I don't think I've ever caught more Mon, as soon as I see one on the map I've not got, I want it along with catching more to trade for Alolan types.

This does mean I've not really got a proper team and just relying on my level 30 Eevee with a Electric, Water and Fire move to do destroy everything.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptySun 18 Nov 2018 - 13:03

I finished work on Saturday, picked up a McDonalds and then used my Kindle for my traditional New Pokemon Game Viewing of Die Hard 4. After that I fired up the game, and I've played up to Brock.

It's pretty, it's charming, and like Mas I do find myself more inclined to catch a lot of Pokemon. As soon as it mentioned a Catch Combo I became obsessed and caught 15 Oddish on the trot. Since then I've looked at the details and I think I'll wait until I get the shiny charm before I go too crazy. Still, this is the first Pokemon game which has got me interested in that stuff.

I won't say too much here as I'm still thinking of doing a podcast special about the game, but overall I enjoy it for what it is but I hope it's a sign that the 2019 game will feel it has free reign to be extra hardcore, rather than a sign that all of this streamlining is here to stay.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptySun 18 Nov 2018 - 17:29

I've managed to have a few hours with it too and it feels right despite the catching mechanic. I've only just seen them begin to introduce Pokemon who make it more difficult to catch them, it's more than simply just flicking the joy can.

I do think there's enough there for non Pokemon Go players, I've not linked the two together yet but that seems more of an extra rather than a key feature. This also makes me even more excited at the potential of the Gen 8 game after seeing how well this is presented. A huge thumbs up so far.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyMon 19 Nov 2018 - 16:13

Whee! It's good to be back in the Pokémon world. I'm even kind of getting nostalgia for Kanto.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new catching mechanics. On the one hand, it feels completely and oddly detached from the rest of the battling. On the other hand, catching in actual Pokémon could sometimes be RNG nonsense, especially with the legendaries: if they're easier to catch here, I'll appreciate that. On the third hand (what, y'all don't have three?), I do think that catching ought to boost the levels of Pokémon you have, and that's good, but if I wasn't chopping and changing my squad a lot I think I'd end up overlevelled...

I think we can all agree on two things, though: seeing Pokémon in the overworld is a definite plus; and forcing motion controls when playing on the telly is a definite minus. I haven't played it but on handheld as a result.

My squad so far is Eevee, Pikachu, Butterfree, Bellsprout, Magikarp, and Clefairy. I've just hit Mt. Moon.

Oh, and one final thought for this very coherent post: listening to LPP and the HGSS Viridian Forest music, I think it would work better here. Viridian Forest is no longer scary. The Pokémon don't 'come for you', and the graphical shift no longer means we're hearing spooky music and imposing it onto what we think the world should look like.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyTue 20 Nov 2018 - 3:33

Balladeer wrote:
Oh, and one final thought for this very coherent post: listening to LPP and the HGSS Viridian Forest music, I think it would work better here.  Viridian Forest is no longer scary.  The Pokémon don't 'come for you', and the graphical shift no longer means we're hearing spooky music and imposing it onto what we think the world should look like.

HAHAHAHA I TOLD YOU RED AND BLUE ARE THE BEST BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY COULD LEAVE TO THE IMAGINATION!

On the other hand, though, I probably will start using some Lets Go music in LLP. (You misacronymmed it to Luke Plays Pokemon again).
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyTue 20 Nov 2018 - 20:18

I'm going to need someone to trade with to evolve my Graveler at some point. Get ready.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyTue 20 Nov 2018 - 22:39

And they keep your Golem.

I'm not bitter at all about my childhood Gengar being stolen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyTue 20 Nov 2018 - 22:57

I'll let you steal my Golem if I can rip open the painful scab of stealing a Gengar from you. Deal?

No deal. I want a Golem. Give back my Golem.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 EmptyTue 20 Nov 2018 - 23:03

I'd always get folks to swap me their starter if we were doing a trade like that - at least, I always did that following the Gengar Episode. DAMN YOU!

I don't have Let's Go, but I'm sure one of the fine forumites will do you the service of a wee trade for your Golem. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next