We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)

Go down 
+22
Crumpy Andy
beemoh
Treesmurf
masofdas
fronkhead
nupkin
awesomedude
The Cappuccino Kid
Buskalilly
koopatroopa
NintenDUCK
Vidofnir
Athrun888
Jimbob
mandlecreed
JayMoyles
Silver light
Kezz182
ZeroJones
Admin
The_Jaster
Balladeer
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyFri 18 Nov 2016 - 7:52

Silver's battle theme is so good, there've been some pretty slick remixes of it over the years too.  A great theme for a great character.  I'm surprised you didn't mention the Lance/Red battle theme considering how popular that one usually is.  Not that I mind in the slightest though! I've always felt that one gets a tad overrated.

Speaking of third gen's music, that gen's music is sooooo good.  The horns are corny yet amazing, and the two Gamecube games have some of my fav rpg soundtracks (which is pretty impressive considering how many I've heard).  Why can't the main series have music this snazzy!? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qst-2zmM-k  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJrkqH9I40

And who can forget this perfect theme?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZW14zJdp4E  

Lookin' forward to seeing what makes the cut for your third gen coverage Drunka, there's a lot of material there to choose, it's going to be interesting to see what gets picked!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyFri 18 Nov 2016 - 10:22

I did think about including the Red theme. I have a lot of memories about that battle, but the music isn't a big part of it. I think "epic battle" tunes have been done better in layer games.

I'm very excited to do third gen. I'm sure a certain reflective letter will make an appearance Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyFri 18 Nov 2016 - 11:45

Drunkalilly wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
Pokémon TCG Battle
Huh. That was a fun track, and easy to groove to but it didn't scream "battle" to me.

True enough, but in this game, the battles are card games with your mates, like you might play in the playground.  On that basis, the jauntier nature of the battle theme makes more sense!

ZeroJones wrote:
Every bike theme is beautiful, from what I remember. Captures the joy and freedom of being on a bike. Grin

Signs that somebody doesn't live in London. Winky Face

I won't be able to browse YouTube this evening (I'm, er, cough, busy), so you'll have to make do with what I can recall off the top of my head.  I will say that I was every bit as excited as Drunka when GS were coming up to launch. Grin But the soundtrack was supremely superseded by HGSS, and often wasn't quite as memorable as Gen. 1 either.

GSC National Park.  Nice and peaceful, albeit the HGSS remix is much better.

Stadium 2 Academy Battle.  Best battle theme of the generation in my opinion.  Yup, I'm completely serious.

GSC Ecruteak/Cianwood City.  Again, superseded later (twice over!), but a lovely little town theme.  (Goldenrod is fine too.)

And basically any minigame music.  Mostly for the nostalgia.  The HOURS I spent with my sister playing these...

I have a lot to say about Gen. 3, but that's for tomorrow.  For now, POST OVER!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyFri 18 Nov 2016 - 16:59

Balladeer wrote:
(I'm, er, cough, busy)
Samesies, which is why I'm putting tomorrow's post together now before I go out.

Quote :
GSC National Park.  Nice and peaceful
Yeah, that's a nice mellow one.

Quote :
Stadium 2 Academy Battle.  Best battle theme of the generation in my opinion.  Yup, I'm completely serious.
After the weird doorbell opening, there is a good build to this track. Best battle theme, though? This just continues to prove you have very odd taste in battle themes . . .

Quote :
GSC Ecruteak/Cianwood City.  a lovely little town theme.
Very calm and pleasant. Here's a lovely piano rendition from an artist who is doing me no end of favours in this thread.

Balladeer wrote:
But the soundtrack was supremely superseded by HGSS. . . albeit the HGSS remix is much better. . . Again, superseded later

Do you remember the conversation we had about predictable forumites we could build bots of? Balladeer
I haven't been sure what to do with the remakes thus far. My current thinking is just to leave them out, or if I really like a piece include it in my remakes/ covers.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptySat 19 Nov 2016 - 0:39

The Westminster chimes opening is my favourite bit! There might be some of the Stadium 2 battle pieces that I don't remember that I'd prefer, but of the ones I can remember, that comes top.

And I'll be doing the remakes in their own generations, with caveats perhaps. In particular I think a HGSS piece might top my Gen. 4 list.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptySat 19 Nov 2016 - 6:31

ALERT!

ALERT!

FOUR DAYS UNTIL POKéMON SUN AND MOON!

Drunka's Music Festival 2016: Pokémonathonatronamonatron!
Day three: THIRD GENERATION

Pokémon Ruby, Pokémon Sapphire, Pokémon Emerald, Pokémon Colosseum, Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, Pokémon Channel, Pokémon Dash, Pokémon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire, Pokémon FireRed, Pokémon LeafGreen, Pokémon Ranger, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team, Pokémon Trozei!

The difference between Ruby and Sapphire's release and that of Gold and Silver was pronounced. The internet was a much bigger part of my life, and I was older and wiser. Exciting though a new Pokémon game was, it wasn't going to change the world. And this time, I was a little older. Pokémon was something I was still into, but it didn't dominate the conversation among my peers like it had.

The games themselves are different as well. The leap in generation meant crisp, colourful graphics that were a little cleaner and friendlier. Te bright sprites left a little less to the imagination, meaning the world felt a lot less dark and mysterious. I was turning into a teenager at this point, and needed my games to go in the opposite direction.

Luckily, the gamecube came to my rescue with a Pokémon game where the protagonist had shades, and a motorbike, and he blew stuff up. Pokémon survived my angsty phase and stayed with me for life. I'm gonna share my five favourite tunes from this period and it'd be swell if y'all could join in and share some of yours.

5: Marine Science Museum
Pokémon Ruby
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Maxresdefault
Just a piece that really does the job. Very oceanic and maritime, with a jaunty, day out feeling.
Here's the great cover which was basically the reason I chose this track!

4: Art Channel
Pokémon Channel
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Smeargle-Anime
Just a silly piece from an underrated game, this was a lovely package to chill out to and the art channel was so delightfully dumb. Watching Smeargle critique such nonsense was entertaining, and the music made it sound like a TV show I can really picture myself actually watching. Some daytime rubbish for old people and sick days.

3: Mt. Battle
Pokémon Collosseum
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 GC6E01-440
The tension! The drama! Cheesy as anything? You bet! Overdone? Naturally. Do I care? Hell no! This is Frodo marching to Mt. Doom, this is Captain Kirk betting the fate of the galaxy on a fist fight. This is melodrama at its finest. Top stuff.
No cover of just Mt Battle, so here's a medley.

2: Battle with Groudon/ Kyogre/ Rayquaza
Pokémon Sapphire
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Pokemon_-_groudon
I think this is the first time in the series different wild Pokémon had their own music. The legendaries were a bigger part of the game here than ever before, and this track was just absolutely incredible. The sense of import it lent the battle was exquisite.
Amazing, and appropriately epic, cover.

1: Mirror B
Pokémon Coloseum
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Tumblr_n9hvkiqcEI1rs9ghao1_250
As if any other music could top this list than the disco king of Gamecube himself, Mr. Mirror B. Dat 'fro. Dem moves. Dem tunes. A perennial GNamer favourite, the funktastic jams of this recurring antagonist are untouchable.
Here's a jazz rendition of his battle theme, from an artist I can't believe I'm only now starting to listen to.
Hot guitar sound.

I know there are some big fans of the third gen's music, so I'm looking forward to lots of great overworld stuff from the towns of Hoenn and Oore. I'll see you on Sunday for The Third Generation. To play you out, our (arguable) non-gaming song of the day!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptySat 19 Nov 2016 - 7:48

You mostly shared it already, but Miror B's battle theme is my favourite of this gen. I came to XD a bit later when I played it through on my Wii and used to cheer whenever B came back on screen (mentally cheer - I'm not an animal). Then I'd power through the text until the fight, put the controller to one side, and listen to what you young'uns might call a "bangin' chune".
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptySat 19 Nov 2016 - 10:31

Everyone's already chosen the best two pieces of Pokémon music.  Not of the gen.: full stop.  (Unless I change my mind later.)  But I do have one thing I can contribute: Champion Miror B. remix.

Right then.  Assume both Miror B themes are top of my list, and let's take a look at the best of the rest.

Pokémon RSE Route 111 - A real nice piece of desert music that the remakes butchered.  BUTCHERED I SAY

Pokémon XD Dark Phenac - The criticisms of XD centred around its repetition of material from Colosseum, but here's a bit that wouldn't have worked otherwise.  You know the original (very nice) music.  You recognise its strains.  But it's very obvious that something's gone fucked up.  Not the best tune of the generation, but unquestionably one of the best uses of music in the generation.

Pokémon Colosseum/XD Realgam Tower - Nothing to say really.  This was the final dungeon in Colosseum - it sounds far too happy for that, but that's no bad thing in the long run.

Pokémon RSE Mt. Pyre - The doyenne of gen. 3 music back in the day, Miror B. themes aside.  Time, and a decent-ish remake, haven't done it any favours, but you can still hear and enjoy the underlying quality.

Pokémon XD Final Battle

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Pokemon-xd-gale-of-darkness-lugia

And here's a piece of battle music that Drunka should be able to appreciate.  Epic, pure and simple.  Whaddagame.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptySun 20 Nov 2016 - 8:56

ALERT!

ALERT!

THREE DAYS UNTIL POKéMON SUN AND MOON!

Day four: FOURTH GENERATION

Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon Pearl, Pokémon Platinum, Pokémon Battle Revolution, My Pokémon Ranch, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness, Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, Pokémon HeartGold, Pokémon SoulSilver, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, Pokémon Rumble, PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure, Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs

And so we come to gen 4, probably the least beloved in the series. It's fair to say these games didn't make the best use of the host hardware, with simple sprite battles and conservative overworlds. Black and White felt like more of a generational leap than these games, in the end. The online features were a nice step down the path to the games we had today though, and there was a lot to love.

After getting the previous generations as birthday presents, this was the first one I initially bought with my own money, from my job (depressingly, more or less the same job I still have). I picked them up later than any of those before or since, which I've grabbed either on release day or at the first opportunity after. This time, I wasn't really following the hype. I remember buying my copy from Tesco on the way home from watching Die Hard 4.0 at the cinema.

I'ms till stewing we didn't get the much better American name, Live Free or Die Hard.

5: Pokémon Centre
Pokémon Diamond
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Latest?cb=20131230041947
I realise I've not included a version of the jolly, recognisable Pokémon Centre theme yet. These games had a nice, clean version that feels like a good one to pick. Not too many extras, just that great original jingle orchestrated pleasantly.
There are no shortage of covers, but here's an amazing one man orchestra and on the other end of the spectrum, a nice little ocarina version.

4: Magma Colosseum
Pokémon Battle Revolution
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 804852-934033_20070702_001
Glowsticks at the ready, it's time for some trance! After Colosseum and XD, going back to a pure Stadium-like was a real disappointment. It did look pretty damn good, though, and gave me an excuse to spend some more time with my Pokémon of the time.

3: Day
My Pokémon Ranch
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 350px-Mpr_platinumscreen
Not a good track. You could even call it a bad one. I'm sharing this one because of how lodged into my brain it is. You see, there was a way to get a Mew through the game My Pokémon Ranch. All one had to do was transfer 1,000 individual Pokémon to the game. My flatmate at the time was in dire need a new DS, so we came to an arrangement: she sat, caught and transferred 1,000 Bidoofs and I bought her a new DS Lite. Bargain, I reckon.

2: Distortion World
Pokémon Platinum
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Distortion_World_physics
The weird, MC Escher world of Giratina is one of the coolest things ever added in a third version, for my money, and added something "a bit different" which vanilla Diamond and Pearl were sorely lacking. This is a strange, imposing, threatening piece that perfectly captures a world in which we don't belong.
Can come across a bit awkward with live instrumentation, like this piano cover, but works wonderfully remixed with Giygas from Earthbound.

1: Battle! Champion
Pokémon Pearl
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 218dec5b8305e8ef8a51b90a0b33281a85919fb2_hq
After days of questioning the Balls Man's battle themes, it's about time I post one of my own. A grand piece for a fantastic clash. That battle against Cynthia is, I think, the last time I was truly challenged in the main sequence of a Pokémon game. It really felt like a battle where I was an underdog and she was a majestic queen, a great Pokémon trainer worthy of her title. The music reflects that perfectly.
This excellent metal version and this phenomenal jazz one show the range the tune has.

I'll see you on Monday for The Fifth Generation. To play you out, our (probably only relevant to me) non-gaming song of the day! Seriously though, watching Die Hard 4 makes me want to play Pokémon more than watching a Pokémon film. Association is a powerful thing...
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptySun 20 Nov 2016 - 9:45

Better in remix form, again. Winky Face

I don't have much respect for the DPPt soundtrack, although good call on the Distortion World. I liked this one, but it didn't fit for me for where it is. Should have been something more triumphal.

So instead, I'm going to bring out a couple of HGSS efforts. While these were remixes of GSC themes, a couple of them do some very special things.

National Park Theme

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Hqdefault

This is more of the same, only better instrumented. And it's great, despite slightly synthy piano.

Ecruteak City

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 4ecb6f8b09984066072d387b74f7254dc8e74108_hq

Now it gets exciting. Ecruteak/Cianwood from GSC was split into this and Cianwood. Isn't that great? Isn't that extra effort that should be appreciated? But Cianwood has a sort of synthy sheep noise (Ampharos in the lighthouse across the sea?), whereas this is bloody brilliant.

Ho-Oh

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Hooh-ow

And then you have the legendary battles. The beasts have their own remixes of the old theme, with Suicune having the best - but ain't got nothing on Ho-Oh. This is glorious.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptySun 20 Nov 2016 - 14:34

DID I SEE SOMEONE MENTION MIRROR B.?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3dXNi6KP64 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM9EImPSZTA

Ahem, since I love gen 3 I'll chip in a top five as well, even though I'm over a day late!  

05.)  SURFING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svUhp4grUDs

The joy of cruising on a wailmer, fishing on a wailmer, or just loitering on a wailmer!  

04.)  PYRITE TOWN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qst-2zmM-k

Those who checked my previous mentions will already be familiar with this snazzy little number.  The clicks, the beat, the jazzy feel, absolute perfection for a town theme!

03.)  DIVING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0XQMITBQ44

And just like that this list got a 7.8 from everyone for having too much water!  Water is a big reason I LOVE the Hoenn region, and themes like this and surfing are why.  Calming, relaxing, wondrous, fantastical.  

02.)  ROUTE 120

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y71w6N8HK_Q

For me this theme both captures Pokemon and Hoenn in a nutshell.  You can just feel triumph and a new chapter in a journey in this theme.  And horns!  

And now, my top theme from gen 3, the end is just the beginning!

01.)  FIRST BATTLE (Colosseum)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZW14zJdp4E

Oh god this theme, this right here is hands down my favourite normal battle theme in Pokemon.  It's adventurous, boisterous, and positive, yet with a nice dollop of tension too.  The guitar is just so energising, the melody catchy yet varied enough to prevent boredom.  

BONUS ROUND: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuG5Q0Kl0io

You can thank me later.

I like what I'm seeing from gen 4, especially the Battle Revolution track. That game had a ton of underrated themes in it. Surprised nobody mentioned Mount Coronet though, that theme is a classic!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptySun 20 Nov 2016 - 15:31

I thought that Diving only got good when ORAS remixed it (when it got VERY good). The Route 120 music, meanwhile, reminds me of one of my least favourite parts of the game. Gettitaway!

Those Colosseum tracks, though? Pure class. And I don't like the Mega Evolution mechanic, but I would happily see Mega Ludicolo being a thing for one reason and one reason only.

Mt. Coronet, much like the snowy music from DPPt, starts off really nicely for me... and then mucks up when it tries to develop the theme. Aww! I can see why you'd think it's a classic, but i'm not a fan. As for PBR, I simply didn't play it. If they'd had a Kid's Club analogue I probably would've, it's that simple!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptySun 20 Nov 2016 - 18:26

Balladeer wrote:
Better in remix form, again. Winky Face
Hmm... I'd actually disagree with that one.
Good work with the HG/SS picks though, nice tracks. You've pretty much got me covered for remakes!
I actually wasn't too impressed by the Ho-oh piece. It wasn't bad or anything, but it didn't blow me away.
Athrun888 wrote:
DID I SEE SOMEONE MENTION MIRROR B.?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3dXNi6KP64

Oh my god, did you see this? Classic youtube comments . . .
Quote :
PYRITE TOWN
ROUTE 120

These are both good'ns. The general routes and towns music of the Pokémon games have a really nice feel but they're never the standouts for me, so I'm glad they're getting coverage.

Quote :
FIRST BATTLE (Colosseum)
Yep, absolute banger.

Quote :
BONUS ROUND

Is that not just the version from the game? Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyMon 21 Nov 2016 - 7:31

ALERT!

ALERT!

TWO DAYS UNTIL POKéMON SUN AND MOON!

Day five: FIFTH GENERATION

Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, Pokémon White 2, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure, PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond, Pokémon Conquest, Pokémon Dream Radar, Pokémon Rumble Blast, Pokémon Rumble U

Now here were some damn fine computer games! Using the DS much more effectively than the previous games, for a more dynamic look on the overworld and in the battles, a more expansive world and a deeper soundtrack.

I really love Pokémon Black and White. I liked the attempt, like Monster Hunter 3, to feature only new monsters. I really liked the look, spritework with an eye for camera work. I liked the enemy team, and the interesting ethical dilemma they raise - even if the game did take the cowardly way out that so much fiction takes when the villain has a point, by making him secretly way more evil than he comes across.

Here are some tunes, but they're very battle and character specific, so I'm hoping the Balls Man and Athro Samurai will hit me up with some nice location stuff.

5: Ghetsis Battle and the Version from 2
Pokémon Black
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Tumblr_ml5h7beATJ1r2en1ko8_1280
I really like this battle theme. Ghetsis was a really horrible bloke, all said, and I like that he had a really villainous theme tune. This wasn't just dramatic, like a lot of final battles in these games, but apocalyptic and climactic. This was a significant fight, a clash of epic, fantastical proportions with a lot riding on it. The music would feel appropriate in a Zelda or a Final Fantasy as much as it does here.
Here's a pretty cool metal cover and something else.

4: Grass Battle
Pokémon Conquest
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 14359449_331492877242254_4385317357615054848_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTM0NTcyNjM5MTk4Mjc1ODI0Mw%3D%3D
Sharing more in common with a Nobunaga's Ambition soundtrack than a Pokémon one, Conquest has some great music. Most of the battle themes are typical eastern stuff, putting you in mind of Samurai battles and whatnot. They make me think of the Misustsune theme from Monster Hunter Generations, something from Okami or the Bamboo Battle Balla made for me.
Grass on the other hand, is a really nice and mellow piece. It makes me wonder what kind of "grass" they're talking about . . .
Here's an amazing dance-tastic remix that is right up my alley.

3: Boss Battle
Learn With Pokémon: Typing Adventure
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Typing-area
Though I would quite like to, I've yet to play this game. Nonetheless, I went through the soundtrack to see if there was anything worthy of recognition on these hallowed pages. I didn't expect to find a tense, techno boss battle theme with an opening that sounds like it was taken straight from The Terminator.
A Remix from the same guy who did the one above, the saviour of this format when it comes to obscure spin-off games.

2: Gym Battle
Victory is Right Before Your Eyes

Pokémon White
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Tumblr_inline_n1d1jluqwA1r9lhsj
For the most part, the gym battle theme is much as it always has been, no better or worse. What makes it special here is the way it slips into a different tune as the leader sends out their last Pokémon. Hearing the music react to how the battle is going is really cool, and makes the battle even more thrilling than it might already have been. Also, it's really nice to hear the series theme actually turn up in gameplay. I love a nice theme tune.
Nice guitar version.

1: The One Who is Captivated by Equations (N's Theme)
Pokémon Grey
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Giphy
I absolutely loved N as a character. Weird and interesting, with a tragic backstory and a cool look... what's not to love? There's nobody else like him in the franchise, and his weird musical signature is so appropriate. He reminds me of L from Death Note, though I'm sure that's coincidence. . .
Of course, you can't forget the haunting remix the game itself featured when visiting N's childhood room, or the cheerful version from 2. It's nice to know he turned out okay.
And here's a great remix that sounds like it belongs in a Harry Potter soundtrack.

I'll see you on Tuesday for The Sixth Generation. To play you out, our non-gaming song of the day!
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyMon 21 Nov 2016 - 8:20

Gah, I still haven't put my gen 4 picks yet!  Lets fix that!  And yes, prepare for battle themes galore!  

05.)  Joe's Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRXug_r_XRA&t=201s

This snazzy thing kicks proceedings off.  Over the years I always come back to this theme.  Like Joe himself this is pure class, I'm always a sucker for jazzy numbers, and the piano adds a nice bit of flare.

04.)  Battle Revolution Minor Boss Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC18RwUjdTs

Gym leaders can only wish they got themes this epic!  Nice frantic number, pretty standard boss battle stuff, but with that Pokemon flavour added.  

03.)  Cynthia's Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc0At5MXUoM

Nothing says you're doomed quite like a piano solo, perfectly capturing Cynthia in all her powerful elegant glory.  

02.)  Sunset Colosseum

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Sunset10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0fvPLq4kPo

The electric guitar and the piano.  Back when Battle Revolution was the only means to play Pokemon online with other humans this was frequently my venue of choice, for the atmosphere of the arena and music alone.  

01.)  Final Battle!  Vs. Master of Master's, Mysterial!

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Myster10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzqyTvh5PAw&t=214s

A nice change of pace for a final boss, grand yet not your typical life and death number. A uplifting rendition of the main theme of Battle Revolution in the highest stakes battle of the game, after facing off in a no holds barred string of battles against every single previous boss (this time using teams involving Legendary pokemon) the player faces the master of masters Mysterial, who brings a team the likes of which are quiet literally legends. Dialga, Palkia, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Kyogre, and Groudon. The music does all the talking.

-------------------------

I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of Ghetsis battle theme in black/white 2, to me it just felt too chaotic. It was the point of the theme, I get that, it just wasn't a pleasant listen for me is all.

In contrast BW had what is, in my opinion, the best leader battle theme in the series. Then again they're also the only leaders in the franchise shown to take an active role in the region, so it's fitting they get the grandest of the themes.

N's theme is a classic, the right mixture of magic and unsettling tones. When the guys that make Pokemon music sit down and make characteer specific themes they always absolutely nail it!

Drunkalilly wrote:
Athrun888 wrote:
DID I SEE SOMEONE MENTION MIRROR B.?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3dXNi6KP64

Oh my god, did you see this? Classic youtube comments . . .

I think I may have just died laughing.  Absolutely beautiful
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyMon 21 Nov 2016 - 9:23

Drunkalilly wrote:
...or the Bamboo Battle Balla made for me.

Love

Although I really liked BW, and the way they entirely revamped the Pokémon selection (XY and SM take note please Evil or Very Mad ), I don't actually remember much from Gen. 5 music-wise. Will have to search the soundtrack. One I do remember is actually from Conquest, a game I will never play. More to come later.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyMon 21 Nov 2016 - 20:18

All right, let's do this.  I remember pretty much nothing from BW, as mentioned above, so this is going to be... sporadic.

BW Driftveil City.  This is silly and I like it.

B2W2 Champion (SPOILERS).  Never played the game, but this is a really nice sparky battle theme.  Very appropriate for the character, although perhaps less so for a Champion.  And much better than the BW Champion theme (after you beat N - his theme is indeed glorious).

BW N's Castle.  I probably like this from being exposed to it in SSB4 to be honest.  But like it I do.  (Route 10 is far outclassed by its Smash version.)

Conquest Normal Battle.  Wait a minute, this music isn't normal at all!  It's possibly the best theme in Gen. 5!  Thanks to erstwhile forumite Silver_light for introducing me to this!

BONUS: BW N's Bridge.  Not the greatest, but IT'S A PHOENIX WRIGHT THEME!  It really does sound like one!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyMon 21 Nov 2016 - 22:30

Athrun888 wrote:
Cynthia's Theme
Nothing says you're doomed quite like a piano solo, perfectly capturing Cynthia in all her powerful elegant glory.
Yasssss! My number one. Grin
Quote :
Sunset Colosseum
The electric guitar and the piano.  Back when Battle Revolution was the only means to play Pokemon online with other humans this was frequently my venue of choice, for the atmosphere of the arena and music alone.
Oooh, I like that one! I've never been hugely into competitive Pokémon, so I didn't play a huge amount of Battle Revolution, but it sounds like I missed out on some tunes.
Quote :
In contrast BW had what is, in my opinion, the best leader battle theme in the series.  Then again they're also the only leaders in the franchise shown to take an active role in the region, so it's fitting they get the grandest of the themes.  
In the Pokémon Adventures manga, the gym leaders are always portrayed as characters like that but I think this is the only time we really see it in the games.
Balladeer wrote:
B2W2 Champion (SPOILERS).  Never played the game, but this is a really nice sparky battle theme.  Very appropriate for the character, although perhaps less so for a Champion.  And much better than the BW Champion theme (after you beat N - his theme is indeed glorious).
Another weird battle theme choice! Laughing
I do really like it though. Agreedo.

Quote :
BONUS: BW N's Bridge.  Not the greatest, but IT'S A PHOENIX WRIGHT THEME!  It really does sound like one!
I can absolutely hear that actually.

Final day tomorrow! Well, for me anyway. Athrun will post his Gen 5 stuff tomorrow, and 6 on Wednesday no doubt :p
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyMon 21 Nov 2016 - 23:38

Drunkalilly wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
I can absolutely hear that actually.

I'm getting Investigation Phase at a military establishment?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyTue 22 Nov 2016 - 0:10

You're investigating somewhere, and the prosecutor just told you something that has raised the stakes.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyTue 22 Nov 2016 - 6:05

ALERT!

ALERT!

ONE DAY UNTIL POKéMON SUN AND MOON!

Day six: FINAL GENERATION

Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Trozei, Pokémon Art Academy, Pokémon Shuffle, Pokémon Picross, Pokkén Tournament, Pokémon Go

Dragging the series kicking and screaming into the third dimension, we have Pokémon X and Y. A bit too easy and simplified for a lot of people, the appeal of seeing all my Pokémon in 3D was undeniable.

Beyond that, we have another set of remakes, some particularly excellent spin-off titles and a certain mobile phone title that was quite popular.

5: Walking
Pokémon Go
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 508800-pokemon-go-1
While Pokémon Go ultimately lacked the depth I'd hoped for, there's no denying it was a phenomenon. The whole world was talking about Pokémon again, and there are still plenty of kids and adults playing steadily to this day- those weird people who play games casually as part of a balanced lifestyle instead of obsessing over them as soon as they're released. Not all those people will buy Sun and Moon, but there's no denying the numbers have been bumped so it will ultimately do us good.
This music is the quintessential Pokémon Go track. It must be familiar to half the world by now. Luckily, it's not a bad tune.
Piano and Marimba.Unfortunately, our good chum Smooth McGroove has only covered the fairly standard battle theme.

4: Trainer Battle
Pokémon X
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Maxresdefault
We've all talked a lot of sugar about the "big" battles so far- gym leaders and champions and legendary Pokémon and all that jazz. For my money, Pokémon X and Y were fairly poor for that sort of thing but I think they nailed it here for the bog-standard trainer stuff. From the techno opening to the guitar licks of the main tune, this is a cool and exciting track but not overly tense. Good stuff.
Here's the Smash version which sounds like it belongs in an old-school anime, like Speed Racer.
And an Epic Guitar Cover. 'Natch.

3: Main Theme
Great Detective Pikachu ~Birth of a New Duo~
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 56380_gb_news
I don't know whether we'll ever see this game over here, but it'll be a damn shame if we don't. A weird, mad premise but if the music is any indicator, it could be an easy match for the BBC's Tenderloin Sherlock or Guy Ritchie's Hollywood version. Dem strings.
I couldn't find a cover, so enjoy this again.

2: An Eternal Prison and finally AZ
Pokémon Y
The story of the weirdest character in Pokémon history, an immortal giant king who looks like Vendrick, was surprisingly touching. Here was a giant of a man, who had ended a war with a massive magical weapon, and all he ever wanted was to atone for his sins and get his best friend back; a flower fairy thing. Tragic, that strange mix of happy and sad that makes for some of the best endings, told with really nice music. I bloody love Pokémon sometimes.
Here's a dodgy recording from the Pokémon Symphonic Orchestra.
Here's a piano cover and another, slightly more mellow one.

1: Magikarp Festival
Pokken Tournament
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 ?format=750w
Duh. My favourite piece of game soundtrack music for quite some time, Magikarp Festival is absolutely hype. A banging tune, I could hear this in a club and not be fazed, it's weirdly excellent. And on a boat celebrating bloody Magikarp of all places! Heroic work by Nintendo and Namco here.
As this is basically a really good dance track, there are loads of great remixes on Youtube. Here's a cool remix that ups the Eastern vibes and another similar one.
Here's one remix I wish I hadn't heard.
A piano cover who comes across a bit up himself but is very good, so what ya gonna do?
Finally, a really amazing live guitars version.

Tomorrow, the seventh generation begins! I'm sure at some point we'll all be sharing tunes on here from those games. For now though, my thanks to Balla, Athrun, Zero and anyone who clicked here to listen along. To play you out, our final non-gaming song of the day which will be outdated tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyTue 22 Nov 2016 - 9:32

So Sherlock, that music.  I agree, really hope we get it. Aww! Also, I never knew Go! had such epic walking music!  Bet it gets dull after a while though.  (Magikarp Festival is too clubby and not melodic enough for me.)

I've done this already, so Imma cheat: top five from XY, and top five from ORAS, as well as an analysis of the remade music.  XY may have been dead easy, but they actually had really good music. (Also, looking back, I'm convinced there was meant to be a Pokémon Z once. Those Power Plant doors never did open...)

I'm also going back through some of the other pieces.  Dat Lavender Town re-orch.  Beautiful stuff.  Not creepy, just beautiful. Sad
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyTue 22 Nov 2016 - 17:06

I put all our picks into a Youtube playlist, if anyone wants to listen to tunes without having to click one by one.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyTue 22 Nov 2016 - 17:15

Drunkalilly wrote:
I put all our picks into a Youtube playlist, if anyone wants to listen to tunes without having to click one by one.

OPERATION CURRY HOUSE BEGINS!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 EmptyTue 22 Nov 2016 - 22:58

I'll have the chicken pika masala.

Balladeer wrote:
Anistar City
Ask not for whom the bell tolls: it tolls for the massive sundial.
Laughing What is it with you and bells? Another one with a hint of the Sherlocks there, though.
Quote :
Geosenge Town
Isn't it peaceful?  The sort of music that tells you that nothing bad could possibly happen here...
"Peaceful" as in "boring".
Quote :
Power Plant
Vaguely electro-ish (which is appropriate enough), with a nice bit of violin.  Now, unlock those doors, Game Freak!
I like this one though, very nice and electric. I also totally see what you mean about Z. Ever since Rayquaza it's felt like they've been making the games with a third version in mind. I wonder how much of their Z ideas have made it to Sun and Moon?
Quote :
Champion Battle
Rum will take the credit for the being the first to recognise this music as great, but I did so separately, so Tongue.  I love music with bells in, as my number 5 may have suggested.  Rubbish champion, great theme.
Pretty decent, but it's no Cynthia . . . or Blue . . . or Lance :/

Balladeer wrote:
Encounter! Zinnia
OH GOD THE FANART.  Who is this mysterious character?  Why does the Internet love her so much?  Why does she have all the violin in her theme?  Here, we're only interested in the last one: because it sounds great.  That is the answer.
Now THAT'S a good tune. Very Xenoblade. I definitely didn't do the google image search.  Pale

Quote :
Mt. Pyre
Give them their credit: Game Freak's sound bods tried their hardest to butcher the best tune in the original, and it feels much more spectral and less... good than the original.  But quality will shine through, and this is still a blinder of a piece.

I agree with you on that one, the ORAS version isn't close to the original for atmosphere.

Quote :
Battle! Wally
I love the evolution of Wally. Reminds me of Neville Longbottom, and does indeed have some cracking muzack.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 35 Empty

Back to top Go down

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)
Page 35 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next