We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)

Go down 
+22
Crumpy Andy
beemoh
Treesmurf
masofdas
fronkhead
nupkin
awesomedude
The Cappuccino Kid
Buskalilly
koopatroopa
NintenDUCK
Vidofnir
Athrun888
Jimbob
mandlecreed
JayMoyles
Silver light
Kezz182
ZeroJones
Admin
The_Jaster
Balladeer
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyTue 22 Nov 2016 - 23:16

I actually really liked the BW2 champ theme, again a character theme that absolutely nails the character in question, and it's super cheerful while nailing that sense that you're fighting someone who will ABSOLUTELY MURDER YOUgive you a hard time.  Plus it has a real rainbow road vibe to it, gotta love the rainbow roads!  

I'll contribute my full thoughts on everything I missed, plus my gen 5 picks, later.  Busy day today and I usually take more time over reviewing everyones contributions and choosing mine than I have right now alas.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyTue 22 Nov 2016 - 23:19

Chicken pika masala! Lol! Tried to make one up, got 'rotom josh', gave up. Winky Face

Seriously, it's been a pleasure to go down music memory lane with y'all. Let's do this again some time. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyWed 23 Nov 2016 - 6:54

Can only agree with the Zeroman. Applause Excellent idea for this thread, one I wouldn't mind reviving leading up to other big releases. No other big Ninty series fits so neatly into generations, sadly.

Drunkalilly wrote:
Laughing What is it with you and bells?

Chingling is my spirit Pokémon.

Drunkalilly wrote:
Quote :
Champion Battle
Rum will take the credit for the being the first to recognise this music as great, but I did so separately, so Tongue.  I love music with bells in, as my number 5 may have suggested.  Rubbish champion, great theme.
Pretty decent, but it's no Cynthia . . . or Blue . . . or Lance :/

Dem bells do.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyWed 23 Nov 2016 - 7:49

Balladeer wrote:
No other big Ninty series fits so neatly into generations, sadly.

Am I missing something here, doesn't basically every Ninty series fit into generations?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyWed 23 Nov 2016 - 9:29

No, not neatly like this.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyMon 28 Nov 2016 - 12:02

It ain't an Athrun888 top five if it ain't so many days late it's entirely irrelevant!  Presenting my own top five from gen five to the power of five of five squared!  (My flunking of maths is showing isn't it?  Yeah, it's totally showing)

5.)  Route 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_2u6EDx6c

While a typical Pokemon route theme this is a highlight for the milder tempo and almost spanish feel.  

4.)  Opeclucid City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn0Fe3FKbco

While many would likely choose the super boppy version of this theme I've always been a sucker for that old time flavour.  Kinda reminds me of zelda in a way.

3.)  Mistralton City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhJAHezbls4

I feel like I can fly~.  Upbeat and positive, with all the hallmarks of a good Pokemon theme.  Also the home of the best gym leader who I totally don't have a teensy thing for, nope.

2.)  Vs!  Elite Four!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMK1evpnYGo

I'm not normally big on themes like this, but this one stands out for me as it makes it clear this elite four would happily murder you and not lose a moment of sleep that night.  A nice tense affair, and perfect for one of the most otherworldly and almost sinister elite fours.  

1.)  Vs!  Internet Explorer Colress

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 Colres10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6JV-M8oxE

This was never going to be anything else, easily one of, if not my all time favourite main series Pokemon tune.  That beat, that bass, that absolutely unique feel.  There's absolutely nothing else like it in the Pokemon series (until Sun and Moon anyway!), and yet despite that it still manages to retain that quitessential Pokemon feel to it.  

I'm also going to give a shout out here to Pokermixstudio's versions of Colress (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bn6_XRHZ3U) and the Elite Four (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB8B1WubSW0), both of which tickle my sweet spot something nice.  

On everyone's gen six picks, rest assured I will have something to say on them (quiet a bit actually)... Next time! Its been a long day and my mind's not really in enough order to make my points remotely well, plus it'll sync nicely with the next one thematically!
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyThu 1 Dec 2016 - 4:59

So should I do gen 6 or has the plane left for that? I'm fine either way, not the hugest fan of gen 6's music to be completely blunt.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyThu 1 Dec 2016 - 18:32

If there are pieces you want to share, or you have comments on anyone else's, fire away! My Pokémon mood hasn't abated at all, and it's only the fact I've been busy/ away that has stopped me listening to yours yet.

Fun fact: while trying to do the é in Pokémon for this post I accidentally discovered the shortcut for flipping my monitor upside down Duh! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyThu 1 Dec 2016 - 18:35

I'd like to read it Athers. I did listen to all your pieces, but they didn't do much for me. I maintain that the series lost its soundtrack mojo for two generations in 4 and 5.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyThu 1 Dec 2016 - 20:09

Balladeer wrote:
I maintain that the series lost its soundtrack mojo for two generations in 4 and 5.
But 4 had Cynthia, the best track in the series, so . . .
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 KR62B

Athrun888 wrote:
Route 10

While a typical Pokemon route theme this is a highlight for the milder tempo and almost spanish feel.

I can definitely hear that. This is a tune I can jam to.

Quote :
4.)  Opeclucid City

While many would likely choose the super boppy version of this theme I've always been a sucker for that old time flavour.  Kinda reminds me of zelda in a way.
I wondered what you were on about with the Zelda reference until around 1:45, but I can hear it. Either that,or harking back to classic Pallet Town vibes.

Quote :
Mistralton City

I feel like I can fly~.  Upbeat and positive, with all the hallmarks of a good Pokemon theme.  Also the home of the best gym leader who I totally don't have a teensy thing for, nope.
Very sci fi, I've got a lot of time for that.
And hey, if you're gonna be into a gym leader you can't do much better than Skyla!
As a kid, I had a whole thing for Whitney. I think it was just my pathological need to have everyone like me. I made her cry, so my natural instinct was to overreact and try to make her love me.
Quote :
Vs!  Elite Four!

I'm not normally big on themes like this, but this one stands out for me as it makes it clear this elite four would happily murder you and not lose a moment of sleep that night.  A nice tense affair, and perfect for one of the most otherworldly and almost sinister elite fours.

A million times yes to all of the above.
I was thinking that after all seven gens have been thoroughly dissected, we'd choose the best version of each of the recurring themes. This would have to be a shoe-in for the Elite Four. Very recognisably the tune, but so menacing at the same time!
Quote :
1.)  Vs! Colress

This was never going to be anything else, easily one of, if not my all time favourite main series Pokemon tune.  That beat, that bass, that absolutely unique feel.  There's absolutely nothing else like it in the Pokemon series (until Sun and Moon anyway!), and yet despite that it still manages to retain that quitessential Pokemon feel to it.
I didn't play enough of Black 2 and White 2 to meet Colress, but he sounds interesting. I hope he returns in a later game.

As for his tune, it has a lot of character. It doesn't beat Cynthia, for me, but maybe I'd feel different if I had the associations from hearing it first in context? Either way- I dig it.

Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptySat 3 Dec 2016 - 14:59

Colress was a bit of a psychopath, not in the "Joker" wants to see the world burn sense, rather he lacked empathy and had very detached ideals that he was willing to do anything to see achieved.  Bringing out the power of Pokemon being that ideal, which leads him to initially team up with  Thug Plasma remnants it ultimately sees him side with the good guys when it's apparent that friendship and cooperation brings out the best in the critters.  One of the more unique villains of the franchise.

And without further ado, it is time, time for my top five picks from my least favourite (musically) generation of Pokemon, Generation six!  Proof that even lamer gens can have some banging tunes!  

05.)  Vs Team Aqua/Magma Leaders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv7ZGS3Nkbo

Hoenn always had one of my all time favourite Nintendo soundtracks, and this theme was always right up there (just shy of top five, at sixth place!), so what do they do with the ORAS version?  Where a lot of themes were gutted of what made them so great this theme accentuated them.  The trumpets are back and in full glorious cry, and the electric guitar peppered in ramps up the intensity to new heights.  Truly a perfect criminal team leader theme!  

04.)  Anistar City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6FOCsgdLG8

This theme is, in a word, serene.  How do you make a piece of music out of a old fashioned clock?  Listen and find out!

03.)  Vs Yveltal/Xerneas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFT_B06qKdk

Hoo boy they really nailed the legendary feel with this theme.  Some great use of the bass and tempo gives this some real energy, the melody is simultaneously intense yet triumphant.  Proof that not all decisive battles have to sound like the world is about to end (although in Yveltal's case it kind of is if the bird ain't contained).  

02.)  Shalour City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DowtqHYJhj4

The home of Mega Evolution in Kalos deserves a mythical sounding theme, and this delivered.  Slow and contemplative, I absolutely love the instruments in play with this one.  Fun fact, back when I was playing XY wi-fi I'd always base myself here just for the music and town in between battles.

01.)  Vs Zinnia!

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 Zinnia10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNcU0gNg1pM

Another theme that was inevitable on my list.  I'm an absolute sucker for upbeat themes that use the violin, an absolute sucker for them I say!  One of my favourite game composers (or group of composers), Falcom jdk, does it fairly often.  As per usual the gang over at Gamefreaks sound department nails the scene and tone in the theme perfectly.

I'd be remiss not to post some examples of Falcom music with those oh so sexy violins after mentioning them!  Black Wings and Silver Will!

And now I turn my attention to what others have posted, some bloody amazing, some absolutely triggering.

Quote :
1: Magikarp Festival

Yep, the fact it's for Magikarp makes it even better! It and GlitchxCity's remix frequently turn up on my various video game music playlists!

Quote :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7-js1Xf_F8

Best. Remix. Ever. Only thing missing: ~eeeeey, sexy magikarp~

Quote :
Battle! Wally

I've brought my trusty water type Pokemon, Tuna Submarine God the Wishiwashi with me today, all for the express purpose of addressing this very piece of music and tanking the inevitable flamethrowers that shall be sent our way! For if there is one theme from ORAS I cannot stand, one theme that could constitute as a form of torture if I were to be forced to listen to it for extended periods, it is this one. Short, repetitive, and a whiny wimpy electric guitar that lacks any kind of punch to it. It's like Gamefreak sat down, read one of my posts on the internet about how little I cared for the Lance/Red theme, and decided to make a theme entirely out of those issues. It feels like a prototype theme, a first cut.

If they'd just kept it for meeting the little kid I could have probably forgiven this theme. But no, this 42 second highly repetitious theme plays for the entire battle. Now keep in mind I was doing a nuzlocke when I played the game, so my battle was a fairly long one.

And while I'm savaging themes I'm going to hand out some dishonourable mentions here. ORAs Main theme and Elite Four theme, both for ripping the trumpets, claps, and general soul out of the themes like some sort of musical Chandelure. ALso the rival battle theme from XY, because I am SO tired of having the constant best friend rival shoved down our throats, but also because it is easily the single most boring rival battle theme in the series. Granted, that keeps in line with the sound departments nack for music fitting characters, but still.

And thus concludes the prior generations top five themes thingy with my super late entry! Any chance everyone does one for Sun and Moon when everyone's finished it?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptySat 3 Dec 2016 - 16:54

Athrun888 wrote:
Colress was a bit of a psychopath, not in the "Joker" wants to see the world burn sense, rather he lacked empathy and had very detached ideals that he was willing to do anything to see achieved.  Bringing out the power of Pokemon being that ideal, which leads him to initially team up with  Thug Plasma remnants it ultimately sees him side with the good guys when it's apparent that friendship and cooperation brings out the best in the critters.  One of the more unique villains of the franchise.
That... sounds like a really excellent Villain! Man, Gen 5 was so good!
Quote :
Anistar City
I'm surprised Balla didn't pick that one, what with all those bells Balladeer
Quote :
Vs Yveltal/Xerneas!
Does anyone else get Mario Galaxy vibes here? Particularly from the opening.
Quote :
Shalour City
Weirdly Japanese for a location based explicitly on ruins in France, but a lovely piece. Makes me want to drink a cup of tea, actually. BRB!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptySat 3 Dec 2016 - 17:05

Back! Enjoying the Shalour vibes with a lovely Organic Black Tea with Cinnamon, Peppermint and Licorice.

Athrun on the house wrote:
 Vs Zinnia!
Once again you've posted a theme from a battle I never made it to, and once again it's a banger! I got bored of Alpha Sapphire, perhaps because I'd not loved the original, and never got to all the post-game new stuff which I understand is supposed to be excellent.
To list the epic game tunes this reminds me of would take me ages, so I'll link you to a piece of awesome violin music you might be less familiar with: Shinsuke Nakamura and the awesome Live version.

Quote :
And thus concludes the prior generations top five themes thingy with my super late entry!  Any chance everyone does one for Sun and Moon when everyone's finished it?

I was definitely thinking along those lines, especially now we've done the other six.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptySat 3 Dec 2016 - 18:07

Drunkalilly wrote:
Quote :
Anistar City
I'm surprised Balla didn't pick that one, what with all those bells Balladeer

...he did.

I prefer Xinnia's lead-up theme, but her battle theme is still grand.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptySat 3 Dec 2016 - 18:32

So you did, and I made a bell comment then, as well.

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 10322
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyTue 6 Dec 2016 - 19:54

Father Christmas
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptySat 10 Dec 2016 - 19:37

That's my new favourite YouTube video.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyThu 15 Dec 2016 - 9:31

A completely different mood: today it's chuffing miserable outside, at least in Staines.  I turned on the IGN Nintendo Voice Chat podcast, and they kicked off with this:

Brought a massive smile to my face, it did. Sunny

EDIT: What's that shiter of a remix the Christmas music video starts with? Thumbs Down... Gets better afterwards, thank goodness; and the second remix in there is much better.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyThu 15 Dec 2016 - 16:28

Just giving some Nintendo VR Love Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptySun 1 Jan 2017 - 1:01

GNamer Music Year 144: Triple Battle Royale!

Pokémon Sun and Moon

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 Dff143a7ce5b020cfa615f9e70ca4e52

Welcome to 2017!  It's only fitting that we close off Nintendo's musical 2016 with the biggest game(s) of that year on Nintendo consoles.  What's more, I'm hoping that this will be the biggest Music Time Period this thread has had, with three musical top fives/tens/whatevers from myself, Athrun, and Drunka.

It should go without saying that there'll be musical spoilers.  Regarding pictures, I intend to depict some late-ish areas, but nothing more!  I'm not responsible for you reading the YouTube comments, mind - from either a spoilers or a sanity perspective.

5. Nanu's Theme

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 Tumblr_ohzziwV3uB1r687oqo6_r1_400

'The rain was drizzling down my windows, like a Persian pissing on the roof.  I took a long, deep sip of whiskey.  The bottom of the glass greeted me like an old friend.

Then she walked in.

Waist like a Gardevoir, legs like a Lopunny, dress like a Jynx.  I could tell she was trouble.  But she was the sort of trouble I kept falling into.

She took a deep breath, Fake Tears streaming from those Baby-Doll Eyes.

"I've lost someone," she said, her voice husky.  "My husband."

I couldn't help myself.  I grinned.'

4. Battle! Team Skull Boss Guzma

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 Tumblr_inline_ohh930YIE31rlxvpb_540

The hated boss who beats you down, and beats you down, and never lets up...  Yeah.  Big bad Guzma is here!  

Guzma is perhaps the most enjoyable evil team boss the series has had.  A cackling buffoon, who's still genuinely impressive and frightening.  This piece is a rare example of me featuring something I'd never listen to out of context, but it fits him and the context so well, I couldn't not link it.

3. Seafolk Village (Day)

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 Seafolkvillagetrade

In XY it was Geosenge Town - here it's Seafolk Village.  There's always one small town theme that really gets me, and that Drunka will no doubt call 'boring'. Nah nah!

2. Battle! Rival Gladion

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 Tumblr_od3jvfrUf61tandono2_540

OW the EDGE!  Gladion's actually one of the franchise's more nuanced characters.  He also provides a proper rival, in comparison to Hau.  Perhaps that's why his battle theme is actually quite peppy and upbeat, rather than doom metal or summat.

1. Vast Poni Canyon

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 75-top

Absolutely, without parallel, my top piece from the game.  I think it's mostly the panpipe.  And the best thing about this area?  The music doesn't change when you Ride a Pokémon, meaning you get to listen to this the entire way.

Over to Drunka, Athers, and anyone else who wants to join in!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyTue 3 Jan 2017 - 19:34

ALERT!

ALERT!

POKéMON SUN AND MOON HAVE BEEN RELEASED!

Drunka's Music Festival 2016 2017: Pokémonathonatronamonatron!
Day seven: DAWN OF A NEW GENERATION

Pokémon Sun, Pokémon Moon

Pokémon Sun and Moon is upon us, huge numbers of forumites have bought and played, quite a few of us have even finished them. Now it's time to talk about them sweet, sweet tunes!

Balla's done his list, and I'll have more to say on his tunes later. There are a couple there I was considering including, but I'm not bitter because it just frees up space in my picks. These games had some hella fine muzak!

SOME SPOILERS AHEAD
I've tried not to spoil anything that wasn't spoiled by the game's own marketing, but that doesn't help much in the case of Pokémon Sun and Moon.

5: Paniola Ranch
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 Pokemonpics037_thumb
So nice, so mellow, and so Zelda. This feels like a place you'd happily settle down after all your tiring adventures and heroics. Apparently, Paniolo were Hawaii's cowboys, which fits.

4: Po Town
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 52
A very cool moment in the game, matched with tense and dramatic music. This felt more dangerous and dramatic than any enemy team moment in the series, despite how comical Team Skull were in the lead up. The police had just given up, the town was overrun and covered in graffiti, the rain was pouring, grunts were stood on cars . . . Awesome stuff. And the music fits super well. Also, that very opening sounds so much like parts of the Red Dwarf theme.
It fits a piano cover perfectly.

3: Champion Battle
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 P14_01
Obviously, Sun and Moon could never compete with Cynthia for the best battle theme of all time -- though they do feature a pretty top notch version of that track -- so instead of being memorable by doing something new, they just do a really nice job of incorporating the series theme into the fight. This has a triumphant feeling, like 20 years of Pokémon all built to this point. Which is kind of how the whole game feels . . .
Champion identity spoilers:
All I could find were some piano covers like this.

2: Team Skull Encounter
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 Team%2BSkull
An easy pick for me. I love Team Skull's whole aesthetic. Gone are Team Rocket's outdated gangsters, in are hilariously parodied gangstaz. I've made the comparison to Jesse Pinkman before, but I think it really is apt. These are insecure, scared kids who have fallen in with gang culture to try and find some sort of community or family, and they're not really that dangerous and scary at all. This music is just the right mix of kinda cool and gangsta, but also brilliantly shit. It's all very Splatoon.
Here's a pretty cool acoustic version and a very chill remix which one commenter said, pretty accurately I reckon, sounded like it would be Team Skull's theme after they broke up and chilled out. For me though, Team Skull's music is all about those hype man vocals, and nobody's done a good cover with those yet.

1: Battle Red/ Blue
Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 Pkemon-Sun-Starters-Shot-03
I'd written most of my entry for the Champion theme above before I met these two, and they do much of the same things but even better. The excitement, the nostalgia, and some new earworms. What a track! I'd had Red and Blue's cameos spoiled for me before release, by one of the game's official trailers. Nonetheless, meeting them and battling them was a great feeling, no doubt helped by hearing this banger.
Even if I hadn't dug this track, I'd have given it my number one spot because the community has really latched onto it for amazing covers and I want to share some with you. Here's a metal version which suits it phenomenally well. This cover, less metal, is much a better sound with a much more cringeworthy video. Naturally, my favourite cover this week is this amazing cello version.

To play you out, our obvious non-gaming song of the day. Here's an English version.

Last edited by Drunkalilly on Tue 3 Jan 2017 - 20:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyTue 3 Jan 2017 - 20:05

Balladeer wrote:
Nanu's Theme
Great piece. I want to watch Nanu's moody Channel 4 murder mystery TV series now. Best write-up you've ever given a track, too.

Quote :
Battle! Team Skull Boss Guzma
While I personally prefer the purity of the encounter version to this hyped up battle theme, I agree with everything you said about this one.

Quote :
Seafolk Village (Day). . . Drunka will no doubt call 'boring'. Nah nah!
Hey, I included Paniolo Ranch! This one was never going to make my list, but don't dislike it. Nice stuff. Geosenge was boring, though . . .

Quote :
Battle! Rival Gladion
This one definitely would have made my list! The main melody has been getting stuck in my head since my first encounter.

Quote :
1. Vast Poni Canyon
A charming track. For my money a bit too light and breezy for when in the game it appears, and how big and dramatic the area might have been.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyTue 3 Jan 2017 - 20:29

Aw, a track-by-track analysis!  Thanks sir, especially for the kind words about write-up five. Grin The least I can do is to return the favour...

Drunkalilly wrote:
5: Paniola Ranch
I almost actually put Paniola Town into my list.  This, however, is just really sweet.  Puts me in mind of a sunrise for whatever reason.

Drunkalilly wrote:
4: Po Town
This is the game's Lavender Town, its Old Chateau.  Creepier than the tryhard music in the Thrifty Megamart, I completely agree that this is the first time (apart from the first Guzma battle) Skull actually seemed dangerous.  And that cover works lovely, since the initial piece is mostly piano itself.

Drunkalilly wrote:
3: Champion Battle
Not surprised to see this appear.  The nostalgia at the beginning!  The rest is average dramatic battle stuff, I can take or leave it, but the beginning is a cracking moment.

Drunkalilly wrote:
2: Team Skull Encounter
Completely agree about the lyrics - just like their boss, that's what makes this piece.  After Po Town further up, we're back to silly Skull - which completely suits a Zubat-wielding bunch of loons, as I think you've said before.

Drunkalilly wrote:
1: Battle Red/ Blue
I like the guitar/violin at the beginning, and the nostalgic beats after that.  Apart from those, the best bit about this track is when it goes a bit FF Chocobo theme in the middle.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyFri 6 Jan 2017 - 12:31

DoPo, sorry, but holy hell what a cover of my favourite piece! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 EmptyFri 6 Jan 2017 - 20:18

The lack of Not!Ragyo representation makes me a lil sad!  Drama queen

Don't have the energy or time right now to properly respond to the previous lists (and so I shall continue sitting on my own until I do for a few more days), just making a appearance to show I haven't forgotten!  And in the meantime I'm going to fix the tragic lack of Not!Ragyo representation with this remix!

And on the note of remixes perhaps we could squeeze another Pokemon list with a top five of those before moving on?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)   Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!) - Page 36 Empty

Back to top Go down

Official Nintendo Consoles Music Thread (Thanks for Listening!)
Page 36 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next