We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Messenger

Go down 
+3
JayMoyles
Balladeer
The_Jaster
7 posters
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptySun 9 Dec 2018 - 17:39

I think this really deserves a thread of it's own so here it is.

----

For me this is one of the absolute best games not only on Switch eShop but on the console as a whole, fantastic call back to the games like Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania but with a modern twist in it's level design and controls.

Anyone else got this? Share your thoughts in here. Thumbs Up!

Oh and a new free dlc expansion was just announced yesterday.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptySun 9 Dec 2018 - 18:05

And you decided to create this thread when Smash is just out and a potentially more anticipated Metroidvania is out tomorrow because...? Razz

Joking aside, I do think it's probably a threadworthy game, based on critical response. However, I'm not sure whether anybody besides you and me (and you don't want to rely on me on this one) around these parts has played and enjoyed it? It's a really slow starter: I checked a walkthrough, and blimey, its main gimmick comes at what seems like after the halfway point. Before that it feels like a very standard-issue 2D platformer.

It's one I do want to continue with, but only because of what it promises in the future. If it was like it's been so far for the entire game, I'd not hate it, I'd just dinghy it without a second thought.

That said, its level music has been kicking around in my head for ages, so there's that. Also free DLC is always cool.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptySun 9 Dec 2018 - 19:06

Balla wrote:
its main gimmick comes at what seems like after the halfway point. Before that it feels like a very standard-issue 2D platformer.

The halfway point comment is fair but I think you are being a bit harsh on the 2d platformer bit as it's really well done.  

I know Jay said he was interested in the game and I think Andy has played it as well, anyhow it's just one of those games you can tell the devs poured a lot of love and fun into but I have to say that I wasn't massively into it to begin with either (still thought it was very good, natch) as the fourth wall breaking seemed a bit much but when I did hit that halfway point I absolutely loved everything about it and just got what they were going for.
If I wasn't smiling at the characters there were moments I had a good wee laugh at, I feel like there's not many games these days that revel in what they are past and present (accidental time joke hooooo!) but The Messenger does and it's not ashamed of it either and that only makes me love it more.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyMon 10 Dec 2018 - 21:01

Yeah, I'm definitely interested in this one, but with SSBU out I'm probably not going to be playing another game until the eventual heat death of the universe. I'll post my thoughts on The Messenger then.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyTue 11 Dec 2018 - 9:26

I've kind of turned sour on this game. The gameplay is amazing, I loved the first half as it felt so satisfying. Now I'm just spending ages traveling to bits I've not been to only to realise I don't have the right power up yet. It's getting real frustrating.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyTue 11 Dec 2018 - 13:15

Crumpy Andy wrote:
I've kind of turned sour on this game. The gameplay is amazing, I loved the first half as it felt so satisfying. Now I'm just spending ages traveling to bits I've not been to only to realise I don't have the right power up yet. It's getting real frustrating.

That's what's putting me off of getting this. The first half sounds like everything I'd want in a ninja game, but the second half sounds like everything I don't want in a ninja game.

I might get this with a price drop, but right now, it's hard to sell me on game that I'll probably only half-like when that SEGA Mega Drive Collection has Shadow Dancer, Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi III - three superb, Messenger-like games - on it
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyTue 11 Dec 2018 - 14:57

Maybe I got lucky but I only remember that happening to me in one area and for a Metroidvania it doesn't seem like you can sequence break all that much.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyTue 11 Dec 2018 - 16:13

I want to play this but I've heard bad things about the second half

And I just got Guacamelee 2
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyTue 11 Dec 2018 - 18:19

I honestly find that tough to understand because as I mentioned a few posts up that is where the game went from good to great for me, different strokes I guess though eh.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyTue 11 Dec 2018 - 20:43

To be fair you're much bigger on Metroidvania's than most of us. My favourite ones have much more of a sense of direction. I like the ability to go off an explore, but when I want to move on I appreciate a big ol' arrow showing me where to aim for.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyTue 11 Dec 2018 - 20:48

The_Jaster wrote:
Balla wrote:
its main gimmick comes at what seems like after the halfway point. Before that it feels like a very standard-issue 2D platformer.

The halfway point comment is fair but I think you are being a bit harsh on the 2d platformer bit as it's really well done.

It's... solid, that's what I think I'd say it is. It doesn't have the beautiful controls of Celeste or the boundless energy of Mario or the compensatory aesthetics of Tropical Freeze. It does a decent enough job.

I think I'd enjoy the Metroidvania side of things more than some though; although I too appreciate big ol' arrows.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyTue 11 Dec 2018 - 21:14

Crumpy Andy wrote:
To be fair you're much bigger on Metroidvania's than most of us. My favourite ones have much more of a sense of direction. I like the ability to go off an explore, but when I want to move on I appreciate a big ol' arrow showing me where to aim for.

Ahh that's fair enough, had to look this up as I never used them but if you pay for a hint from the shopkeeper (300 time shards) he marks the objective with a symbol. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyTue 11 Dec 2018 - 22:18

Aye, I'll probably use that when I get the last powerup, but for now I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyWed 12 Dec 2018 - 11:20

I'm certainly not averse to metroidvanias when this year I've completed Hollow Knight, Yoku's Island Express and Alwa's Awakening and am currently playing Guacamelee 2 Razz
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyThu 13 Dec 2018 - 18:24

Yoku is the millstone around my neck, which is weirdly appropriate. It remains on my backlog list when many others have fallen off. I want to play it, but so many other things get in the way... Sulk
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyFri 14 Dec 2018 - 11:03

It's not even very long! Took me 5 hours to 100% it
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  EmptyTue 25 Dec 2018 - 14:12

I finally grabbed this at midnight today! Looking forward to it - and am hoping it transcends its Ninja Gaiden influences quickly. I'm not a big fan of modern games which slavishly follow tradition for the sake of nostalgia, and The Messenger looks like it goes far beyond that in the gameplay I've seen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Messenger  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Messenger    The Messenger  Empty

Back to top Go down

The Messenger
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: GNamer Forum :: Nintendo Switch-
Jump to: