We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD

Go down 
+7
Balladeer
Buskalilly
OrangeRakoon
masofdas
Kriken
Jimbob
The Cappuccino Kid
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD Empty
PostSubject: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyTue 16 Jul 2019 - 17:40

Super Monkey Ball returns for the first time in almost a decade! It's coming to Switch, PS4, XBox One & Steam...and it's a remake...... of Banana Blitz.

That announcement trailer shows you hee-haw in the way of gameplay, though Famistu printed some screenshots that are all over the usual newsites.. Like everybody else, I think this is an odd choice for a remake - it's not a celebrated game by any stretch of the imagination. However, unlike everybody else, I think it's good fun.

Although it's retailing at full price, a price drop will inevitably follow milliseconds later, and that's when I'll give this another bash. How about youse?

Last edited by The Cappuccino Kid on Wed 16 Jun 2021 - 12:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyTue 16 Jul 2019 - 21:40

I do miss Monkey Ball - I only ever really played the first Super one, and it soon became very hard. However, does this one have Monkey Target?
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyTue 16 Jul 2019 - 22:41

It's got a bastardised version of it:

Some of the minigames in Banana Blitz are legendarily poor. I remember my mates and I playing through them over the course of a couple of summer nights when the Wii was still new, and I was floored as to how the developer could think 'aye, that'll be good fun'. Mind you, they'll either have to sort out those motion controls for the non-Nintendo versions...or just leave all the minigames out altogether!
Back to top Go down
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyTue 16 Jul 2019 - 23:59

Certainly a bold move. A remake of Super Monkey Ball 1/2, especially as a bundle, would have been nice. Or of Super Monkey Ball Deluxe I guess, since it had the levels of all those games and more. Played the games relatively briefly at a friend's house and enjoyed them a lot.

Hopefully they make this good but my hopes aren't terribly high.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyWed 17 Jul 2019 - 11:35

An odd one to remake and the VITA has a semi-related version which I don't own and seeing they will be much the same, I'd sooner get then buy a full-price remake of it.

I could also just get it on Wii.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyWed 17 Jul 2019 - 13:41

Baffling choice of game to remake, I guess it was just the cheapest
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyWed 17 Jul 2019 - 15:03

Like OR said, I'm assuming there's a tedious development reason they've picked this one- maybe the assets are all still available, whereas remaking the originals would involve a ground-up remake job?

As with literally everyone else on Earth, I'd much sooner be replaying the original two classics but I'll probably give it a bash just to encourage Sega to revive the series properly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyWed 17 Jul 2019 - 19:06

Kriken wrote:
A remake of Super Monkey Ball 1/2, especially as a bundle, would have been nice.

This would be the obvious sane move. BB is the one with the jump, right? Monkey nuts to that.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyWed 17 Jul 2019 - 22:50

To be fair the biggest problem with BB was the motion controls made it slightly more difficult when it needed to be making the later worlds feel near impossible. Hoping it’ll feel good and won’t just end up with them throwing a channel right down the middle of the level to ruin any kind of challenge.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyWed 17 Jul 2019 - 23:56

Im up for getting this, even though it isnt the best one as folk have said I think it'll still be fun to revisit.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyThu 18 Jul 2019 - 19:45

Jimbob wrote:
I do miss Monkey Ball - I only ever really played the first Super one, and it soon became very hard. However, does this one have Monkey Target?

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
It's got a bastardised version of it:

Aw, I just wanted Monkey Target! I'm probably out
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyThu 18 Jul 2019 - 20:16

Lots of good points well made by others, but

Drunkalilly wrote:
Like OR said, I'm assuming there's a tedious development reason they've picked this one- maybe the assets are all still available, whereas remaking the originals would involve a ground-up remake job?

As with literally everyone else on Earth, I'd much sooner be replaying the original two classics but I'll probably give it a bash just to encourage Sega to revive the series properly.

more or less sums it up for me. I really hope they take andyman's advice and don't through channels through the middle of the levels. They did that with the Super Monkey Ball game on 3DS, that wrecked it right enough.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyThu 18 Jul 2019 - 21:18

Crumpy Andy wrote:
To be fair the biggest problem with BB was the motion controls made it slightly more difficult when it needed to be making the later worlds feel near impossible. Hoping it’ll feel good and won’t just end up with them throwing a channel right down the middle of the level to ruin any kind of challenge.

Joycon tilt controls the only way to play confirmed.

To be fair, Monkey Ball has always aped those real-life tilty maze things: it'd probably be quite fun in handheld! (Right before it got Switch-hurlingly annoying.)
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyThu 18 Jul 2019 - 22:38

Balladeer wrote:

To be fair, Monkey Ball has always aped those real-life tilty maze things

Bring back Kororinpa.

I've never played a Super Monkey Ball game, so I figured this might be one to check out. I guess judging by the posts above that it's not up to much, then?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyThu 18 Jul 2019 - 23:46

It's all right, just not as good as Kororinpa! After the GameCube original, that's the best Super Monkey Ball game (if that makes any sense).
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptySat 20 Jul 2019 - 19:12

Yes, I think the consensus is 'pretty average'. I didn't like the jump and I got stuck on the third boss, so I didn't like the bosses either.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptySun 21 Jul 2019 - 21:24

I'm also on board with buying to encourage a new game, as bad a practice as that is I don't remember having any issues with Banana Blitz even if it isn't the best version.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyWed 16 Jun 2021 - 12:48

That’s SEGA doing what they should have done instead of Banana Blitz HD, and remake the best Super Monkey Ball games for modern times.

Banana Blitz HD was very happy, bright and accomplished, but never anything more than an OK game at its core. Full “faithfully remastered” versions of Super Monkey Ball, it’s sequel and the additional content from the 2005 Deluxe ‘best-of’ on your Switch/Xbox/PS is something you should be getting excited about. I know I am.

My only concern is the dead zones around those consoles’ controller’s analog sticks. It’s maybe too much to ask, but then again it really isn’t: I hope that the Switch version of Banana Mania has GameCube controller support.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyWed 16 Jun 2021 - 13:48

That would be nice for them to add for the Switch version but that extra step is rarely taken on remasters.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyWed 16 Jun 2021 - 19:14

Kriken wrote:
Certainly a bold move. A remake of Super Monkey Ball 1/2, especially as a bundle, would have been nice. Or of Super Monkey Ball Deluxe I guess, since it had the levels of all those games and more.

I WANT RAMPANT CELEBRATION KRIKEN

Yep this is nice, albeit probably not for me. I'm not hugely impressed at another remake, but would I be hugely impressed by a new Monkey Ball from the current lot anyway? Signs point to 'no'.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyThu 17 Jun 2021 - 1:01

Definitely keen for this. I hadn't thought about GCN controls being an option but that would be grand.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyThu 17 Jun 2021 - 20:31

Any excuse to play Monkey Target again!

I wish I was better at actual proper Monkey Ball. I eventually completed the first game, but once I'd unlocked infinite continues - there was no way I was going to be able to "git gud" at it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyMon 21 Jun 2021 - 19:13

Same. I was somehow even worse at it after they introduced a jump button in Banana Blitz.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyWed 23 Jun 2021 - 21:32

When's Kororinpa Remastered coming out?
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD EmptyThu 24 Jun 2021 - 14:42

Nevermind that, where's Kula World HD?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD   Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD Empty

Back to top Go down

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania & Banana Blitz HD
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next