We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)

Go down 
+7
Buskalilly
masofdas
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
JayMoyles
Rum
Balladeer
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) Empty
PostSubject: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyWed 18 Sep 2019 - 21:08

POST YOUR TOP TEN 3DS GAMES HERE

UNLESS YOU WERE GOING TO POST ABOUT THEM IN CAPPA'S THREAD

IN WHICH CASE DO THAT INSTEAD PLEASE

Yeah.  Cappa's thread is still the best way to kind of not really do a voting thread for people who don't like voting threads.  It's got the best content and the best longform posts.  However, not everybody on the forum has wanted to pen a longform post about their favourite games, including some people who aren't into votes; and of course it only covers one game at once.  If writing a longform post is a bit much and you still want to let us know about your top ten 3DS games, or you're a massive nerd who has their top ten 3DS games sitting in a list on their 'phone Shifty , then here's an alternative that might work.

Basically, just post your favourite ten games, in order, in the thread.  Post a few words about them if you like.  Then other people can descend and tear them apart, or not.  I might add up the points, or I might not.  It could be fun, or it could die on its arse.  We'll see.  I'll start!

10. Picross 3D Round 2
9. Pokémon Sun & Moon
8. Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
7. Ever Oasis
6. Ocarina of Time 3D
5. Bravely Second
4. Luigi's Mansion 2
3. Kid Icarus Uprising
2. Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice
1. A Link Between Worlds

And now some text.  I'm still hopeful that ALBW will get its own Cappathreadpost, so I thought I'd write a little bit about another two of them:

Bravely Second:

Azran Legacy:

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong. Even better, give me your top ten list. It's not a vote, it's a discussion thread. Hopefully it gets some discussion!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyWed 18 Sep 2019 - 23:10

Hmm, this is a difficult one. There were a few 3DS games I never got to try, and I think the order has, does, and will change, but here is an approximation...

10. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
9. Metroid: Samus Returns
8. Super Mario 3D Land
7. Fire Emblem: Awakening
6. Mario Kart 7
5. Pokemon (Ultra) Sun/Moon
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
1. Super Smash Bros for 3DS

SSB and AC rank so highly because in terms of making console experiences portable, the 3DS versions really just blew me away, and I spent so. much. time with them. Otherwise it's really just classic Ninty series, which is a bit boring. FE is notable because it's the only one in the series I ever got really into, and I did really enjoy it; and DQ makes it in by virtue of being just a really well-done RPG (that I admittedly never finished).

Special mentions to Rhythm Heaven Megamix, Tomodachi Life, Pokemon XY and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask... They weren't far off the top ten.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyThu 19 Sep 2019 - 1:22

Balladeer wrote:
I might add up the points, or I might not.  It could be fun, or it could die on its arse.  We'll see.  I'll start!

This is a stealth vote thread - I know your game. Naughty

Surprised to see AA6 chart so highly with you! High praise indeed.

Rum: Was Ultra Sun the version you played instead of the base version? I've heard less than favourable things from those that played both the base and Ultra versions but favourable from those who dived in with US/UM.

Here's my top 10. I can expand on any of them on request!

10 - Metroid: Samus Returns
9 - Hyrule Warriors Legends
8 - Pokémon X
7 - Tomodachi Life
6 - Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
5 - Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
4 - Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
3 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
2 - Monster Hunter Generations
1 - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyThu 19 Sep 2019 - 20:11

A good mixture of stuff from youse there. There's a decent amount there that I've not played either. 

With the greatest of respects to Pokemon Moon, Nintendogs & Cats (yes), Starfox 64 3D and Professor Layton & The Miracle Mask, here's my top ten:

10.:

9.:

8.:

7.:

6.:

5.:

4.:

3.:

2.:

1~!:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyFri 20 Sep 2019 - 21:51

JayMoyles wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
I might add up the points, or I might not.  It could be fun, or it could die on its arse.  We'll see.  I'll start!

You have no proof.  No proof I say!

JayMoyles wrote:
Surprised to see AA6 chart so highly with you! High praise indeed.

I'd go higher to be honest: it's my (checks list) 14th favourite game ever.  The story, characters, music, and even gameplay (such as it is) are excellent.

JayMoyles wrote:

Rum Rapture wrote:

I'd say that MSR probably came 11th in my list.  Did you both not find it just a tad soulless?  Maybe that's a bit harsh for a GB game remake, but I just found it felt a bit less like a labour of love than some other Metroid games I've played.  Great combat though.

Rum Rapture wrote:
...and DQ makes it in by virtue of being just a really well-done RPG (that I admittedly never finished).

If I can request for more on any one game from your bunch, Rum, it'd be this.  What does DQVIII do so well?

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Professor Layton & The Miracle Mask

And from Cappa's, it's this.  Why did you prefer it to its brethren sir?  Obviously we both have one in our lists, but they're very different ones - I'm keen to know more about why!

Kirby Triple Deluxe

Brilliant uses of the 3DS’s 3DSness right the way throughout this. Fair dos, it’s not the cleverest platformer, or the most stylish, but it’s a lot of fun to play. 

And to stir the pot... K3D was fun, but I preferred Robobot, for its ridiculous final encounter as much as anything.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyFri 20 Sep 2019 - 23:35

Balladeer wrote:

JayMoyles wrote:

Rum Rapture wrote:

I'd say that MSR probably came 11th in my list.  Did you both not find it just a tad soulless?  Maybe that's a bit harsh for a GB game remake, but I just found it felt a bit less like a labour of love than some other Metroid games I've played.  Great combat though.

Maybe it didn't have the same sense of adventure and solitude as the likes of Super Metroid or Metroid Prime, but it came at a perfect time - I hadn't played a Metroidvania game in years, I hadn't played a Metroid game itself in years and this was exactly the sort of game I needed. Had I played it in a world after Hollow Knight, I might not have looked upon it so fondly. But there were some genuinely brilliant moments in there, like that absolute dickhead mining robot and the surprise at the very end of the game. It's a solid wee game and has me jonesing for more Metroid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptySat 21 Sep 2019 - 3:15

Balladeer wrote:
JayMoyles wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

You have no proof.  No proof I say!

Balla tallying everything up in his head.

|
|
V

Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) Giphy

------

As for my list I'll have a wee think over the next few days or so & come back to post it.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptySat 21 Sep 2019 - 8:17

Balladeer wrote:
Professor Layton & The Miracle Mask

And from Cappa's, it's this.  Why did you prefer it to its brethren sir?  Obviously we both have one in our lists, but they're very different ones - I'm keen to know more about why!

Kirby Triple Deluxe

Brilliant uses of the 3DS’s 3DSness right the way throughout this. Fair dos, it’s not the cleverest platformer, or the most stylish, but it’s a lot of fun to play. 

And to stir the pot... K3D was fun, but I preferred Robobot, for its ridiculous final encounter as much as anything.

I preferred Miracle Mask to Azran Legacy as I completed the former, and barely played the latter. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney was good, but i didn't get near to finishing it.

I don't remember that much from Planet Robobot. I definitely enjoyed it, but it doesn't stick out as much as Triple Deluxe for me.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptySat 21 Sep 2019 - 13:08

I would do the same as Balla mind add up everyone's once done Very Happy

On the 3DS, this was hard to do as it's not because the 3DS hasn't got a great library just I've not played much of the system. I've never been a big handheld guy and I had my VITA if I wanted to play handheld along with WiiU if I wanted Nintendo games.

My Top 10

10. Mario Kart 7, Much like I've said about MK8 it's a great game but it is just more Mario Kart
9. Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, I missed this gen of Pokemon and it was great to play these for the first time
8. Pokémon Sun/Moon, It's more Pokemon
7. Pokémon X/Y, gets the highest spot out of the Pokemon games as I just remember being really excited for it and the site around then? That likely seen more chat about it.
6. Fire Emblem Fates, it being split into three games I don't think helped it to be really memorial but it is still a very good game
5. Super Mario 3D Land, much what I say about number 3 applies to this and got to have a top Mario game on a Nintendo system
4. Kid Icarus: Uprising, The controls are fine!

Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) 6c67bf515115dde706fe35058aade6ae61db5088
Remember that time when the 3DS wasn't selling and it had no games, then it went down in price and Nintendo brought out OoT3D and I bought a 3DS again just for this game.

Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) Animal-Crossing-New-Leaf-460x215
BANGER!

Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) E7903a82c21e541ec15ddb9fd7508095206b71de
What more can I say me and Zero haven't already said about it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptySun 22 Sep 2019 - 18:56

JayMoyles wrote:
Maybe it didn't have the same sense of adventure and solitude as the likes of Super Metroid or Metroid Prime, but it came at a perfect time - I hadn't played a Metroidvania game in years, I hadn't played a Metroid game itself in years and this was exactly the sort of game I needed. Had I played it in a world after Hollow Knight, I might not have looked upon it so fondly. But there were some genuinely brilliant moments in there, like that absolute dickhead mining robot and the surprise at the very end of the game. It's a solid wee game and has me jonesing for more Metroid.

Aaaaaaah, so it cheated with regards to timing. Razz

The_Jaster wrote:
Balla tallying everything up in his head.

You think I'd use my fingers? I'm insulted, Jas. Insulted.

I preferred Miracle Mask to Azran Legacy as I completed the former, and barely played the latter. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney was good, but i didn't get near to finishing it.

I found PLvPW a bit bobbins, so I'm with you there. Was it because Azran was weak for you, or you just had too much going on at the time and missed out? I ask only as somebody who found Azran much more compelling than any Layton adventure since Lost Future: I can't imagine chucking it while playing through the others.

masofdas wrote:
4. Kid Icarus: Uprising, The controls are fine!

Damn right. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptySun 22 Sep 2019 - 19:04

I'll have a read and a think. Probably won't write anything too long here, but we should revive cappas thread, eh?
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptySun 22 Sep 2019 - 19:14

Very much up for anyone reviving Cappa's thread. Thumbs Up! It needs an ALBW post, if nothing else! (And there is plenty else.)
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyMon 23 Sep 2019 - 15:02

10 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
I know this isn't exactly remembered as a 3DS game, but that's the console on which I first beat it. Good game, this. People go on about it for a reason . . .
9 - Shovel Knight
Similar to OoT above, I first played this and loved it on 3DS. Unlike OoT, I've since played through it on a nice, big TV with a pro controller and now I don't really think of it as a 3DS game.
8 - Kid Icarus: Uprising
I remember bloody loving this, but I don't really remember much about it - I guess it was too long ago.
7 - Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney: Spirit of Jusitce
Really good stuff, but way too much mystical stuff and crazy OTT storylines. I liked when Phoenix was out-of-his-depth and dealing with grounded murder cases. Still, this was an enjoyable romp. I am tempted to list the original trilogy instead, to be honest - still unbeaten and available on 3DS for a steal!
6 - Super Mario 3D Land
Sure, it isn't as good as the other 3D mario games - they have proper analogue sticks, for starters - but there's enough of that magic here to keep a junky like me going. And 3D Mario really is magic.
5- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Watch this space Winky Face
4 - Fire Emblem: Awakening
Until recently, this was the only FE game I'd played to completion, and it satisfied me quite nicely too. Bloody good game.
3 - Pokemon Sun
Best Pokemon game, innit. Just check the thread.
2 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf
500 hours or so, and I'm still Jonesing for the next one.
1 - Monster Hunter Generations
After several attempts to get into the series, this was the one that released at the right time for me to have three absolute top lads to play it with. Of course, and argument could be made that 4U is the better game - particularly for the newcomer. And I did like this even more once it jumped to Switch. But this game singlehandedly kept me picking up my 3DS every single day for a very long time, and those are some of my favourite gaming memories. #ListenToMonsterMash #MHXXForTheWest
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyMon 23 Sep 2019 - 16:28

The 3DS aka the Zelda Hunter RPG machine

10. Pokemon Sun/Moon
9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
7. Ever Oasis
6. Monster Hunter Stories
5. Fairune 2
4. Gurumin 3D: A Monstrous Adventure
3. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
2. Monster Hunter Generations
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I don't actually have Ocarina of Time 3D but it's still Ocarina of Time so it's still number 1
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyMon 23 Sep 2019 - 19:55

Go listen to Luke's old podcast OR. Razz I tried Gurumin, but it was near the end of the machine's life and I ran out of patience a bit.  What's so good about it?

Drunkalilly wrote:
5- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Watch this space Winky Face

Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyMon 23 Sep 2019 - 23:18

It was Jay's, Andy's and Jas' podcast as well, Balla . . .
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyTue 24 Sep 2019 - 13:17

Balladeer wrote:
I tried Gurumin, but it was near the end of the machine's life and I ran out of patience a bit.  What's so good about it?

I love it, one of my favourite RPGs. It's an action RPG with zelda-like elements, a super cute cast of characters in a ghibli-ish world, and with popping visuals and energetic soundtrack to boot. I wrote a review which is still up on SONM: http://sonm.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1823
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyTue 24 Sep 2019 - 16:46

So after having a wee think here's my top 10:

10 - Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D

9 - Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

8 - Animal Crossing New leaf

7 - Steamworld Heist

6 - Metroid Samus Returns

5 - Smash Bros 3ds

4 - Monster Hunter Generations

3 - Super Mario 3d Land

2 - Zelda: A Link between worlds

1 - Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

----

If any one is after some reason as to why I picked some of those then feel free to ask away.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyWed 25 Sep 2019 - 14:18

I might have included Steamworld Heist except I played it on Switch
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyWed 25 Sep 2019 - 16:53

Surprised to see Mercenaries up there Jas! I know it was good (see Drunka's post), but I'm a bit surprised to see that it's top ten good.

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
I tried Gurumin, but it was near the end of the machine's life and I ran out of patience a bit.  What's so good about it?

I love it, one of my favourite RPGs. It's an action RPG with zelda-like elements, a super cute cast of characters in a ghibli-ish world, and with popping visuals and energetic soundtrack to boot. I wrote a review which is still up on SONM: http://sonm.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1823

Poor lonely post! Nice review though, although it's a bit of a shame that the plot didn't develop on a very interesting premise.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptyWed 25 Sep 2019 - 17:58

After looking at my collection of 3ds games which isn't as many as you'd think (not really big on handhelds) nothing else really stood out over it either by play time or otherwise. On another day it probably could slip out of that number ten slot though.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptySun 29 Sep 2019 - 5:28

Balladeer wrote:

Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor

There's yer dinner.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptySun 29 Sep 2019 - 10:39

Plus he must be close to counting everything up on his fingers and toes.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptySun 29 Sep 2019 - 10:47

I feel it in my fingers,
I feel it in my toes.
The clues are all around us
Balla's doing a sneaky vote.
Back to top Go down
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) EmptySun 29 Sep 2019 - 12:05

1. Pokémon Sun/Moon
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
3. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
4. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
5. Metroid: Samus Returns
6. Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon
7. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
8. Kid Icarus Uprising
9. Shovel Knight
10. Warioware Gold

Was difficult ordering these.

Fire Emblem Fates:

Shovel Knight:

Honourable mentions:

Ocarina of Time 3D - it's probably my rose-tinted specs but the original game still looks great to me, so this enhanced port didn't really add anything substantial for me. It'd probably take a home console remaster or remake of this game for me to care enough about a graphical update.

Majora's Mask 3D - Like OoT I really like this game, and I find this game more fun than a lot of 3DS games but there were a fair few changes they made that were objectively bad: zora swimming, ice arrows, stone temple boss (!), and minor but still: nerfing deku-hopping on water, along with some other questionable changes. Do appreciate they tried to freshen the game up though.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Enjoyed it but still felt too similar to other Animal Crossings. They made a lot of good changes but I preferred the idea of just being one of the villagers and not the mayor.

Pokemon X/Y - I used to hold these titles in fairly high regard as somewhat refreshing entries in the series and - aside from the story - I enjoyed them more than Black/White, but after Sun and Moon these games feel a bit underwhelming and even a bit soulless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) Empty

Back to top Go down

Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next