We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Irrational Gaming

Go down 
+9
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
gjones
OrangeRakoon
masofdas
Kriken
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
Muss
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Irrational Gaming - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2020 - 9:51

Sorry Balla but couldn't think of any myself, and yours is a big one.

You guys might be able to think of one for me, maybe my love for Kojima.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2020 - 12:39

Oh yes: you've got several, I've got several, other people will likewise. Also, I kind of saw this as stuff you do in the games you buy, rather than what games you buy. Otherwise my aversion to anything looking even vaguely 'realistic' would be up there.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2020 - 13:36

Balladeer wrote:
Until recently I would definitely have had completionism in here - not being able to move on until I've got every last major collectable, or at least finding it a real wrench to do so.  It killed my playthrough of Yoshi's Woolly World, for example.  Fortunately I've managed to shake that in recent years.  Seeing as it's the same 'must get/see everything' that makes me not want to play choicy games, in the future - who knows?

My enjoyment of games with major player choice is part of what helped me shake my own completionist tendencies, so I reckon it might work for you in reverse!
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2020 - 14:48

Can't think of any in game, that I do or don't.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2020 - 15:08

I don't know if you realise this, Mas, but if you can't think of something to add to a conversation, you're allowed to just not reply.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptySat 11 Jan 2020 - 9:18

Here's a genuinely bad and irrational habit: if I really like a game, or characters in a game, I'll look up the details around them on the Internet and then be genuinely surprised and disappointed when I spoil something for myself. Duh!
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Jan 2020 - 12:41

Haha, that sounds like quite a bad habit. I normally only look things up after I've beaten the game (or decided that I'm not going to beat the game/ don't enjoy the game enough to mind about spoiling details).

I'm not sure that this is irrational, but I sometimes sit down at my computer or look over my physical games with full intentions of playing something. And then I spend like a million years thinking about things and end up not playing anything Duh!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Jan 2020 - 15:26

Muss wrote:
I'm not sure that this is irrational, but I sometimes sit down at my computer or look over my physical games with full intentions of playing something. And then I spend like a million years thinking about things and end up not playing anything Duh!

Yeah, I've definitely done that a fair few times as well & it's only worse if I have just finished a game I really enjoyed in the last day or so.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Jan 2020 - 15:39

Balladeer wrote:

EDIT: Oh, I've got one.  I much prefer my Pokémon to cover a range of levels, say 25-28.  That feels more 'natural', and less 'forced', than when they're all around the same level.  The Lady does exactly the opposite, switching monsters out to keep them all within a level of each other.

I do something similar in that my starter always has to be a few levels ahead the rest of the team and then whichever 'Mon has been putting in the most work and has impressed me the most - my ace, if you will - will be a level or two ahead of the pack but just behind the starter 'Mon.

Oh, I've thought of another one! In RPGs, if I stop at an item shop and I notice that a stack of particular items, say potions or antidotes, doesn't end in a 5 or a 0 then I have to buy a few to round the total up to a number ending in 5 or 0.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Jan 2020 - 18:19

Is restocking to a set number (e.g. 20 potions, 20 Poké Balls, 2 of each status cure) every time you pass a shop, even when you're nowhere near out and will probably pick up more along the way, irrational?
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Jan 2020 - 19:12

Sounds like an odd list to me 😂 The only things I ever buy in Pokemon are 20 max of the current pokeball (I try not to overdo it because I won’t upgrade to the next one until I’ve used up my current stock), evolution stones, Max Revives & Full Restores. I don’t think I’ve ever bought a status restoring item.
Back to top Go down
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Jan 2020 - 21:41

Stocking up on status heals when you already have a lot is a bit irrational, but in pokemon games I've had the opposite problem where I've hoarded money and not bothered getting items aside from pokeballs when they could be useful. I end up in the middle of long caves with my most useful pokemon paralysed or near fainting before reluctantly deciding to head back to a pokemon centre. Meanwhile any kind of potion stays relevant up until the end of the game for healing in between elite four battles.

Talk of keeping pokemon levels the same has reminded me that I do the same in Fire Emblem and it's a habit that I try to break out of, because in those games it makes even less sense to do that. Funnily enough I feel like when I first played the games, starting with FE7, I had the right idea with actually focusing on the units that seemed good even if I leaned on Marcus and the pre-promotes a tad too much. Better than not using them at all though.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 Jan 2020 - 16:39

I definitely don't bother with keeping my team levelled equally in Fire Emblem. I think the investment isn't worth it most of the time when you could be levelling your really strong units to carry the party to victory. I'm pretty sure that most of my team were a fair few levels below Dimitri and Byleth in my Blue Lions run of FE:TH.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 Jan 2020 - 17:09

My Fire Emblem strategy is the same as Jay's, focus on a core team and make sure a few capable reserves are there for you in a pinch. I do play with permadeath on, but with the rewind feature in the later games there's not too much of a threat of units dying. I guess that ameliorates some of the need for a balanced set of reserves.

I definitely do suffer from stocking up on nothing but money in video games though. I think that's symptomatic of there being a campaign and my uncertainty about how long is left. In board games I'm usually pretty good at economic management or worker placement games which put a premium on spending money effectively, but in video games I'm scrooge McDuck. .
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 Jan 2020 - 19:13

My irrational stance on board games is just getting far too competitive and stressed out about the results. Aww!

Crumpy Andy wrote:
Sounds like an odd list to me 😂

Even list mate.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptySun 8 Mar 2020 - 13:38

I always look at the options menu before starting the game the first time I ever boot it up if I'm given the choice, even if it's a game I know full well I don't want to tinker with at all. I don't know when I started doing this, but I'm pretty sure it's the reason why I'm no fun at parties anymore No
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptySun 8 Mar 2020 - 13:53

I do that too
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptySun 8 Mar 2020 - 20:37

I think the only people that don't do that belong to the Chaotic Evil group.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptySun 8 Mar 2020 - 21:04

It's worked against me on occasion: changing Murder by Numbers' text speed to 'Fast' before starting the game meant that things zipped by and I occasionally missed them!

But yes everyone sane does that.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptySun 8 Mar 2020 - 22:26

Treesmurf wrote:
I think the only people that don't do that belong to the Chaotic Evil group.

Hello!
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptySun 8 Mar 2020 - 22:50

I'm also another that'll check the options first before launching a game, the one time I didn't do it recently was with Doom (1993) and the default sensitivity was cranked up way too high. Put it down to the halfway mark and I could still spin around pretty quickly.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyMon 9 Mar 2020 - 14:30

My recent approach has been "is this game likely to have gyro aiming? Yes - better check options to turn it off. No - just start the game then"
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyThu 12 Mar 2020 - 20:46

I get really nervous about a thing I recall the great Matthew Castle writing about; playing a linear story-based game, being in a corridor, with a door half-way along and to the side, and another at the very end. One will lead to an optional room with an extra piece of loot to count towards your 100% completionist score, one will lead to a cutscene and then the next chapter of the game, thus making the optional loot item inaccessible FOR THE REST OF TIME. Or until Chapter Select after you've finished natch.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyThu 12 Mar 2020 - 21:21

Yep, I will always go down all the Wrong Routes methodically. Even if it's a game I have no intention of 100%ing, that dungeon must be relieved of all its loot! You coudl stick the entirety of my completionist tendencies into this thread, actually...
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 EmptyFri 13 Mar 2020 - 23:48

Jimbob wrote:
I get really nervous about a thing I recall the great Matthew Castle writing about; playing a linear story-based game, being in a corridor, with a door half-way along and to the side, and another at the very end. One will lead to an optional room with an extra piece of loot to count towards your 100% completionist score, one will lead to a cutscene and then the next chapter of the game, thus making the optional loot item inaccessible FOR THE REST OF TIME. Or until Chapter Select after you've finished natch.

I've managed to get pretty good at sussing out which route is "the main route" in games - telltale sort of stuff like a big circular obvious boss arena, spotting an important looking NPC waiting to usher in a cutscene... that sort of stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irrational Gaming   Irrational Gaming - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Irrational Gaming
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next