We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)

Go down 
+3
OrangeRakoon
Buskalilly
Balladeer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) Empty
PostSubject: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyWed 11 Aug 2021 - 21:05

There have been roughly a billion and three pixel-art SNES-like action-adventure-RPG-hybrid indie games released on Switch and other platforms, most of which leave me utterly cold.  This is not one of them.  It looks nice, for one thing, not like the art was just something that needed doing to get the game out the door.  The soundtrack gives me heavy Stranger Things vibes in a good way.  The character designs have strong Mother energy, and it looks like there are going to be lots of interesting places to explore (and a whale on a roof).  

As for how it's going to play, that's still pretty hard to tell.  Looks like it might have shooty elements?  EDIT: Scratch that, IGN did a 25-minute gameplay demonstration!

Regardless, it's interesting enough to have ended today's showcase, so I reckon it's interesting enough to get a thread.  Anyone else tempted?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyThu 12 Aug 2021 - 6:54

Oh, I'll watch that gameplay thing later! I've been intrigued by the vibes but I had no idea what kind of game this would be.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyFri 27 Aug 2021 - 12:42

I'm very interested in this, the art just looks wonderful
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyFri 27 Aug 2021 - 21:06

Absolutely does, I'm surprised this one hasn't gone more attention. Even if it's a bit RPG-y for around here, I'd have thought its strong Earthbound vibes would get attention from beyond the usual crowd.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyWed 1 Sep 2021 - 19:20

I think it's one everyone quietly knows will be decent but because we've not really seen it there isn't much to say on it, as someone who's never played Earthbound but definitely gets those vibes, I'm still expecting this to be really good and I'll very likely be playing it around launch.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyMon 13 Sep 2021 - 16:23

I'm 100% down for this - the art and general vibes are right up my alley. Am I wrong in saying there's a little bit of classic Zelda DNA in there from watching that gameplay video?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyMon 13 Sep 2021 - 16:47

Some for sure, part of why it looks good I think
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyMon 13 Sep 2021 - 19:22

Classic Zelda x Mother feel is what I'm getting.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyMon 13 Sep 2021 - 20:39

Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) B8M8MsA
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyFri 17 Sep 2021 - 20:45

So this crept up on us - well, it crept up on me anyway.  I had no idea it released yesterday until somebody on the Internet told me as much.  I picked it up straight away and have put a few hours into it.  Some early thoughts, then.

OR and I occasionally debate what makes nice pixel art - I, for example, don't think either Owlboy or Iconoclasts are terribly good-looking. I don't think there's any doubt that This Is Good Pixel Art. The fluffyness of Sam's hair comes across beautifully. That said, I can't say I think it's a very aesthetically pleasing game, and that's my fault I think. The animation is really nice on top of said sprite art, but the (intentionally) muted colour palette for what is after all a dystopia, thus far mostly underground, has led to it all being... well, rather ugly to me. Objectively pretty, subjectively ugly. I'm sure it'll get prettier when I get above ground. Also worth noting that the game art, the chapter introduction art, and some of the fonts haven't really gelled together for me.

As for the gameplay, thus far it's... fine. Lots of whacking things with a frying pan or lighting things up with Sam's magic, and lots and lots of backtracking to talk to the next plot-advancing person. There was one really good boss who was the unquestionable highlight, but otherwise it's all felt like a bit of a shrug sadly. (There is a fully-fledged Game Boy RPG contained in it, which is really quite fun.) The writing too is fine: bits that were meant to be funny didn't really land, and the central conceit has been done to death. Some of the characters are good (I already love Sam) and some aren't (there's an obvious Porky Minch analogue that hasn't worked for me at all).

So yep, overall I'm more lukewarm than I hoped to be. It's a shame, but I think there's a lot more to go, and there's definitely good stuff in there. I think some brighter colours and more interesting enemies could do wonders.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptySun 19 Sep 2021 - 21:35

A shame it's not grabbed you from the off. Hopefully it's just some early-game doldrums and it'll open up more from a combat aspect in the later stages. The gameplay video in the OP seemed to show off some neat looking combat, which I guess is from later than the opening areas?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyMon 20 Sep 2021 - 20:42

It seems to have improved! Two things happened in quick succession which helped. Firstly, I changed environments, improving the colour palette. It's still a bit washed out, which I guess makes sense when it's 'a society on the brink of collapse' but which I still like less, but it's definitely more colourful. Secondly, the characters gained the ability to split up, and with that it began to feel more dynamic. (Also I got a gun. Frying pan's better.)

I'm still a little unsure about some of the writing. You get a bunch of characters thrown at you without much development, and there's an early-game 'romance' which stretched the bounds of belief a bit. On the plus side something particularly amusing happened to the Porky Minch analogue, and Sam's still great.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyMon 20 Sep 2021 - 21:54

Glad to hear it! It's definitely on my to-play list, and hopefully soon as well. I'll look forward to some more thoughts from you. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyMon 20 Sep 2021 - 22:16

...and then just now, the game had... a moment, shall we say. One of those moments. The kind that makes the likes of the Mother games unforgettable. I'm not saying said moment was as good as those, but... I think I'm into Eastward now. Slow starter though.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyMon 20 Sep 2021 - 22:20

Balladeer wrote:
 I'm not saying said moment was as good as those, but... I think I'm into Eastward now.

...was it a sexy moment?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyMon 20 Sep 2021 - 22:22

It was not a sexy moment. Sexy moments are not likely to get me into games. They are likely to make me intensely awkward instead. Also if sexy moments had made the Mother games unforgettable, I think we'd be talking about Ness' baseball bat in very different terms.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyThu 25 Nov 2021 - 12:22

I picked this up! I've not played much of it as of yet as I ended up getting hooked on that Dragon Quest style RPG thing and playing it for far too long, but I'm already loving the feel of this game. The art style and character sprites really give me Mother 3 vibes and I'm intrigued to see where the story is leading and why everyone is hiding underground. More thoughts to come!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyMon 21 Feb 2022 - 21:06

I was looking back over a couple of old threads... Did you ever progress past the Dragon Quest-style RPG, Jay? As the resident Mother 3 fan, keen to read your thoughts!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyThu 3 Mar 2022 - 14:51

I think the one-two combo of Christmas games into Arceus into Elden Ring stopped me from making any further progress. I'll get back to it when there's a gap in the release schedule. Which, looking at 2022, might be never. Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyWed 20 Apr 2022 - 13:33

Eastward was one of the games from a NLife video showing the best 25 games of 2021, that I hadn't played and looked good.

Did wish list on eShop after that, with Balla you also recommending it to me. Just I saw the price, which was a tad off-putting, that I was looking at importing the physical version.

However, in May a physical version is coming out in the west, that I will likely pick this up then. Did you go back to it Jay or anyone else picked it up or going to like me as it has a physical version soon?
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyWed 20 Apr 2022 - 16:13

Seems like a good shout for a physical game this, I have yet to return to it but I have had a real urge to in the last few days which I don't usually get for games that I've been sidetracked on.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyWed 20 Apr 2022 - 22:10

Eastward's a very interesting game, but it's a game I'd be quite happy not to have on my gaming shelf. It's not good enough for that.

Balladeer wrote:
It was not a sexy moment.  Sexy moments are not likely to get me into games.  They are likely to make me intensely awkward instead.

Also. Sigh.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) EmptyWed 20 Apr 2022 - 23:07

Well I will trade in more then likely once finished, also think it might be similar price between physical & digital.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)   Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one) Empty

Back to top Go down

Eastward ('Journey through a society on the brink of collapse' - no, a different one)
Page 1 of 1