We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy

Go down 
+4
Treesmurf
Buskalilly
Balladeer
The Cappuccino Kid
8 posters
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy Empty
PostSubject: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyMon 8 May 2023 - 11:12

The inspiration from this thread is from here:

Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy Zelda

Taking your first steps into Breath of the Wild’s Great Plateau and knowing that everything on the horizon is yours to adventure was one of those moments in gaming that I’m sure brought of all us genuine joy.

It's plain to see that I'm a guy who likes to relive their happiest moments, and gaming has provided me with loads of those. I know I'll remember more as time marches on, but I'm more interested in youse sharing your moments in gaming that brought you similar happiness, and genuine joy.

Two of mine that spring to mind:

Sonic Mania:

Horizon Chase Turbo:

How about youse - any joyful gaming memories you'd like to relive here too?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyMon 8 May 2023 - 16:20

Ace thread! Thumbs Up! Ace thread that I'm finding it hard to contribute to.  I've had my major gaming moments but they're the same moments you all had: making Mario run along for the first time in my first game, Super Mario 64 blowing my mind when I turned it on, the Great Plateau in... er, what Cappa said.  I've got one, but it's chuffing niche.

Xenoblade Chronicles X:

There's another gaming moment I can think of where mechanics and music join forces to create something that took my breath away, but I think everybody here probably knows that by now. Aww! I'll try to think up some more. I can well imagine that Sonic Mania moment being absolute class if you haven't been spoiled on it!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyFri 12 May 2023 - 6:55

I have a very distinct memory of playing Mario Galaxy for the first time; everything from the little arm-stretched aeroplane run of joy up to my first gravity-boggling jump around a planet. 3D mario is a near constant supply of genuine joy, hence why it is probably my favourite flavour of videogame.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyFri 12 May 2023 - 21:51

Ooft this is a great idea that I just know I want to contribute to and will struggle to because my brain won't let me think about it. I loved that Sonic Mania too, was completely unexpected.

The best I've got so far is a few particular games of Rocket League, one where a comeback from 5 goals down in about one and a half minutes led to a genuine moment of comradery between me and two randoms. Another time me and my pals were winning by quite some margin and I jokingly voted to forfeit only for my team mates to do the same so we lost the match due to an abundance of banter, it was too funny to be mad about it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyTue 16 May 2023 - 10:31

Treesmurf wrote:
Another time me and my pals were winning by quite some margin and I jokingly voted to forfeit only for my team mates to do the same so we lost the match due to an abundance of banter, it was too funny to be mad about it.

Gonna report you for artificially losing to stay in an easier league.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyTue 16 May 2023 - 12:02

Buskalilly wrote:
I have a very distinct memory of playing Mario Galaxy for the first time; everything from the little arm-stretched aeroplane run of joy up to my first gravity-boggling jump around a planet. 3D mario is a near constant supply of genuine joy, hence why it is probably my favourite flavour of videogame.

Oddly I can't think back to any interesting moments from the 3D Marios.  I do of course have the same joyous moments as everyone else though.  When you touch down in Gusty Garden and that music plays?  Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy 1f44c

Here's a recent gem of one though.  It's from Tears of the Kingdom, Runakit Shrine (Built to Carry - there's a ball and some rails); so if you haven't tried that yet, stay away!  (And, er, be careful of my Twitter. Embarrassed )

Spoilered for (horrible) solution:
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptySat 20 May 2023 - 12:22

Oh this is a good question. I worry I have loads in my early life that I could share, which have sadly been eroded by the terrible state of me, my life, the world, and everything.

But!
  • Playing Boxer on the Acorn Electron (a rip-off of the Popeye arcade game, like all old home computer games of the era), really being too young to get anywhere but understanding that everyone should be talking about videogames all of the time always.
  • Both No Man's Sky and Starbound, getting off the starting planet and to a space station. Oh that first bit of the game you enjoyed? There's thousands of that.
  • Microprose F1 Grand Prix, that actually ran in 3D, and more importantly, realising how realistic it was determined to be, and allowing a "hot seat" option for multiplayer (this is before the internet, kids) so everyone could join in a race on a system that wasn't geared up for local multiplayer. F1 used to be interesting
  • ^See Balla's answer: The first time I played Super Mario 64, and realised that 3D video games were actually fun (up until then the "future of gaming" was either unable to process 3D worlds without being boring, or the threat of FMV, the opposite of a videogame
  • Then getting onto Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time. Even a couple of years later there was a worry I had, related to the above, that the extra dimension was going to exist at a cost in terms of the scope of a game. Mario 64 was big, but compared to e.g. Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3 there was probably less in terms of "things. But seeing the field and realising how big the world was was a relief.
  • But then years later exiting the sewers in Elder Scrolls Oblivion, and seeing the whole world and its possibilities.
  • But then ^See everyone's answer about the start of Breath of the Wild. The "the crazy sons of bitches they've done it" moment
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyWed 3 Jan 2024 - 20:08

While casting about for my Thread of the Year votes, I remember this belter of an idea, sadly under-populated.  If it was "Moments In Gaming That Made You Want To Chew Your Own Arm Off" it would have least made it to page two, I reckon.  

Anyway, 2023 had some properly enjoyable moments.  Here are a trio:

TotK - SPOILERS!!!:

Sea of Stars - Spoilers:

Mario Wonder - not really a spoiler:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyThu 4 Jan 2024 - 11:11

Sea of Stars (and Messenger spoilers too):
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyThu 4 Jan 2024 - 19:49

Oh yeah, good point with this.

Would put something about Zelda here, but I don't think there's one specific thing (maybe the last "Complete" stamp happening) but just loads of little tiny ones; every time you add something to an arrow or a shield and it does something cool that you never realised it'd do.

Also
I played this in 2023 so I don't know if this counts, but - Tunic:

Sea of Thieves Monkey Island:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptySat 6 Jan 2024 - 19:13

Ah that 'Complete' moment is so good though. Love

JayMoyles wrote:
Sea of Stars (and Messenger spoilers too):

Stuff those folks, if they've played much of The Messenger they obviously don't have great taste anyway. Razz What you say would have been a pretty good idea, but I was still quite impressed with what they did instead!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptySun 7 Jan 2024 - 14:15

Balla wrote:
If it was "Moments In Gaming That Made You Want To Chew Your Own Arm Off" it would have least made it to page two, I reckon.  

Ahh speaking of which I've got one for that, in the final final level of Mario Wonder I missed the top of the flag pole not once but twice meaning the game wasn't 100 percent finished & I had to bloody do the whole level a third time. Don't think I've ever been that angry at a Mario game before. Laughing    

Oh I guess it's a moment of joy when I eventually done it, I even saved a wee clip on my switch just to capture the moment.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyFri 12 Jan 2024 - 22:06

See what I mean!? Hissy fit (I did something similar with Climb To The Beat, I ain't trying that last level because CttB was bad enough.)

My canonic Chew Your Own Arm Off moment is this utter git of a DKCTF level BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptySat 13 Jan 2024 - 19:24

Laughing

I've got a couple small ones from the early parts of RoboCop Rogue city, the first is right as the main menu boots up & you are hit with a fantastic piano version of the classic Robocop theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiEdHIx6Ezk

Second is how they've captured the films violence in the gameplay, from little moments of criminals screaming as you've blown their hand clean off to where you can grab them & chuck them out the window of a massive skyscraper. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptySun 14 Jan 2024 - 11:16

Blimey that's the re-reboot sorted then! (Although this is the real sad Robocop theme everyone loves)
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyMon 12 Feb 2024 - 18:47

Here’s another one.

Banjo-Kazooie:

Twenty-six years ago, be Christ.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyThu 15 Feb 2024 - 20:44

I never played Banjo at the time, but always admired its polished boxart from afar. It was always a 49.99 game round my way, so didn't really get tempted but was a reader of NOM and recall the 96% review. Pretty sure it came with a guide book in an issue - I could have done with one a few months back, when I started playing it via Rare Replay. I really liked the first couple of levels (one had beehives, and another was on a beach) but got a bit lost after that. Considering it's one of 30 games installed on my Series X, it has since fallen down the list. Would it be worth a proper remake?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptyFri 16 Feb 2024 - 9:29

I had a similar experience to GJones on Rare Replay, but I do remember enjoying the music and vibes. Now that it's on Switch online and I have a nice N64 pad, I ought to give it another bash.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy EmptySun 18 Feb 2024 - 10:25

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Here’s another one.

Banjo-Kazooie:

Twenty-six years ago, be Christ.

Sorry for "this"-ing, but "this" - I forgot about that, the idea that there could be extra bits in a well-loved game that, at that stage, you felt like you knew from start to finish, was so exciting. Ocarina of Time had stuff like that as well - when people found the Jabu Jabu Ocarina Pedestal in the code, everyone got mega-excited.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy   Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy Empty

Back to top Go down

Moments In Gaming That Brought You Genuine Joy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: Gaming Miscellaneous :: General Gaming Discussions-
Jump to: