We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!

Go down 
+17
ZeroSuitSamus2
Athrun888
nupkin
fronkhead
Silver light
2becomecarrion
Treesmurf
Jimbob
JayMoyles
Vidofnir
ZeroJones
masofdas
Admin
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyMon 18 Mar 2013 - 22:04

Balladeer wrote:
Overall, 8 people voted this week. Thank you all of you, including the 4 who voted for one game (including me)! You're all great. Everyone else is poop (especially Stu DAMN YOU! ).

Aargh! Hissy fit

I completely forgot to vote. Though honestly, my contribution would've been laughable last week. Only two games I could rightfully vote for were Excite Truck and Mario Kart Wii, and I don't like either of them.

RPGs! Yes! I should be able to get some decent votes in for that. Or at least, I've played one that I liked. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyMon 18 Mar 2013 - 22:08

Less talk, more action from you! Tongue

Oh, and I agree with Jay, no NPC games. Bully's fine though.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 7:14

Before I gather my thoughts, is Little King's Story alright? I'd say it's as much of an RPG as it is an RTS. Here's how Wikipedia defines it: 'Real-time strategy life simulation role-playing game'. Mouthful! Although anyone who classifies it as a 'life simulation' is clearly on crack.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 7:25

Stu_the_great wrote:
Before I gather my thoughts, is Little King's Story alright? I'd say it's as much of an RPG as it is an RTS. Here's how Wikipedia defines it: 'Real-time strategy life simulation role-playing game'. Mouthful! Although anyone who classifies it as a 'life simulation' is clearly on crack.

Mmmm... crack... :homer:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 7:53

Phillips put it as "other", and I'm inclined to keep it that way. I've never played it, so could probably be convinced. What RPG-ish traits does it possess? And does anyone agree/disagree with Stu?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 8:43

Little King's Story came up in several Wii RPG lists I trawled through when refreshing my memory of what RPG games were released for the system, so maybe it should be eligible? Down to you though Balla!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 9:27

I initially put it under RPG because it's like Pikmin, but with little men that you level up by making them fight. It fits perfectly well in strategy though so doesn't bother me either way.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 13:09

You pay to install/upgrade your town with resources gathered, your troops are also your subjects, you employ different tradesemen to tackle the enemies dotted around the map, and having things built/rescuing each kingdom's princess is directly down to you. Your subjects can also requests that quests be undertaken via the village mailbox, and funerals are held for missing troops.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 13:23

The people have spoken! LKS is back in the RPG bucket. And I'll revert the vote of that one forumite who included LKS in their vote originally, too.

"Strategy/other" is starting to look a little empty though. If only we'd got a Giftpia sequel, or a UK release for Captain Rainbow.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 14:36

Bah! What Stu just described sounds like strategy to me. Hissy fit
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 14:41

But Fire Emblem's in with the RPGs... What I do? Confused
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 14:46

Go with the majority vote & I'll just sit in a huff *sits in huff* I've never played fire emblem so wouldn't be voting for it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 15:00

Combine RPG with Strategy, and just have Other as Other?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 15:16

Okay, here's a suggestion:
  • Combine RPG and strategy;
  • That leaves poor old "other" a little understaffed (prove me wrong?), so combine "other" and "rhythm". If I assume that no one bought more than one Guitar Hero or Rock Band game, I can only think of five options for rhythm games - did anyone?
  • Separate out "sports" and "minigames".

Thoughts? And in the meantime, can I suggest that if people are going to include pure strategy titles (or LKS) in their votes, they suggest alternatives in case the solution goes against them? Thank you to the one person who already has: that makes this a lot easier!
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 17:37

That sounds good to me, though are there enough minigames to seperate out from sports?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 18:39

Little King's Story? Totally strategy.

God sims, war simulations, football management titles and many, many others all usually require planning and a calulated approach to success. Advance Wars, Command & Conquer, Lemmings, Football Manager, Sim City, Animal Crossing: all strategy games in my eyes, as is Little King's Story (and Pikmin, for that matter).

Yeah, RPG's do rely on a quest-based narrative and non-player character interaction, and these are gameplay elements that LKS has in abundance. What settles this debate for me more than anything is that you simply wouldn't call Pikmin an RPG - and LKS to me is an awful lot like a reskinned Pikmin.

EDIT: Examples of RPGs (to me, at least) would be Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Pokémon and Phantasy Star.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 19:51

andyman949 wrote:
That sounds good to me, though are there enough minigames to seperate out from sports?

Eh... Mario Parties, Smooth Moves... Er...

...maybe shove minigames into "other". Meh

Okay, laying out the options here:
  1. Keep LKS as an "other" game;
  2. Move LKS to "RPGs";
  3. Put "strategy" into "RPGs";
  4. Put "strategy" into "RPGs" and combine "other" with "minigames";
  5. Put "strategy" into "RPGs" and combine "other" with "rhythm".

I would, to be honest, be more tempted to include the strategy genre with Xenoblade, say, than with Animal Crossing. The latter seems to require more persistence than planning. Same with Endless Ocean, but possibly not Harvest Moon...

I'm wittering... Sulk

Last edited by Balladeer on Tue 19 Mar 2013 - 20:41; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 20:03

I'm also confused. Aww!

I'm sure there are enough minigame compilations that aren't sports to have a minigames category. I'm thinking of stuff like EA Playground and Carnival Games... not that anyone in their right mind would have either of those in their top five.

I'll submit my list with alternatives if needs be. Just to be sure.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 20:05

Yes, yes do that for now. Confused Eh? Confused Eh? Confused

I think Phillips' original idea was to have "planning games" in one section and everything else shoved into adventure, or puzzle, or wherever. Maybe we should go back to that?

If we have no consensus by tomorrow evening I'll make an executive decision, I think. In the meantime, continue to discuss, or submit other ideas for a ten-genre list. It'll be a hoot.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 20:33

Balladeer wrote:
Chrono Trigger

I thought VC games weren't allowed. Have I missed an amendment here, or does it make the cut because it's never been available in the UK outside of a VC release (and on DS)? In which case: Super Mario RPG would be a valid contender.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 20:41

No no, just an example! A bad one, evidently.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2013 - 21:07

Understood. I was reading into that a bit too much. Laughing

My votes are cast.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyWed 20 Mar 2013 - 17:46

All right, since no consensus has been formed, here's my executive decision on the matter.

I'm keeping LKS in "strategy/other". It really is a strategy game, there can't be much doubt about that: the only issue is, should it be in a different category to Radiant Dawn? And as someone in the difficult position of having to decide this without having played either, I'm going to say that it sounds like each character in FERD gets backstory, detailed stats., and non-expendability; whereas in LKS you summon up ranks of identikit soldiers, unless I'm wrong. You don't form attachments to them. That makes it more Pikmin than Pokémon from my perspective.

I'm sure I've made mistakes, and I'm sure there are holes in what I've said that people could argue about. Like I said, I've not played the games. But I think it should be strategy, the man whose idea the genre system was thinks it should be strategy, and someone needs to say one way or t'other. My apologies to anyone who thinks I'm wrong, but this is what's happening. Aww!

However, if anyone who hasn't voted yet wants to include LKS in their votes (but provide substitutes), feel free! I'm actually keeping two sets of votes at the moment, one with LKS and one without, and I'll let you know how LKS would have affected the results were it included. And of course, you can vote for it again in a later week!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyWed 20 Mar 2013 - 17:50

Balladeer wrote:
I'm going to say that it sounds like each character in FERD gets backstory, detailed stats., and non-expendability

This is correct. It's not like an RTS where you summon identical units, you recruit/gain extra characters and provided you don't mess up and lose units, you end up with a huge roster of characters to use each with their own stats and abilities.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 EmptyThu 21 Mar 2013 - 20:03

I assure you this is a serious question...

Does Animal Crossing count as an RPG?

*runs away*
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!
Page 3 of 27Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next