We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!

Go down 
+17
ZeroSuitSamus2
Athrun888
nupkin
fronkhead
Silver light
2becomecarrion
Treesmurf
Jimbob
JayMoyles
Vidofnir
ZeroJones
masofdas
Admin
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySat 23 Mar 2013 - 12:31

No, that one's "strategy/other". Guidelines are under the spoiler in the first post!

Slightly more than 24h to vote, if anyone else wants to. Remember, I'll be looking at votes with and without LKS. Now, I'm going to tidy up the Week 1 Results with a new section: expect it to return tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySat 23 Mar 2013 - 12:39

I was a good boy this week and got my votes in early. Dance
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySat 23 Mar 2013 - 12:40

Yes, Stu. Yes you did. (pats on head) Nah nah!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySat 23 Mar 2013 - 12:41

*purrs* Razz
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 10:54

Good morning gentlemen (and ladies, potentially)! Feeling bored on a Sunday morning? Well, aren't you lucky that I've decided to open the voting for our next category early! This week's genre is Shooting games, including both FPSes (CoD games, the Red Steels, Medal of Honorwithnoubecauseit'sAmerican) and more "old-school" shooters (S&P, Geometry Wars Galaxies), and as usual it'll be all over by 1800 on Easter Sunday. You can still vote for RPGs (including and excluding Little King's Story) until 1800 tonight.

Let's talk about controversial games for this week. It's already been decided that Resi 4 is to be included, unless there's overwhelming demand for it to go into Adventure or Puzzle or Rhythm Action or something: what about Metroid Prime 3? Jay thinks it's adventure, I feel it went more to the dark side in this third edition, with less exploration and more NPCs. (shudders) Opinions?

Also, include Metroid Prime Trilogy in the votes at all: Y/N? If Y, it'll certainly go into adventure, because the previous two series entries felt like adventure games to me.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 14:53

If resident evil is in shooters, so should metroid prime
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 15:20

I disagree, Resi 4 is a very linear game with lots of shooting. Metroid Prime on the other hand embodies the adventure genre as far as I'm concerned, however I've not played 3 so I'm not the greatest judge.
I personally would include the trilogy.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 15:29

I still disagree a linear shooter is cod or gears not resident evil 4 which can be in slightly different ways and has puzzles etc and what I've played of prime 3 thats similar to what ive just described as res as
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 15:34

Resi 4 is a cube game anyway so problem solved :p
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 15:45

Well that would mean twilight and okami can't be counted in the adventure poll then either
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 15:59

I think I'd be fine with that.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 17:35

masofdas wrote:
I still disagree a linear shooter is cod or gears not resident evil 4 which can be in slightly different ways and has puzzles etc and what I've played of prime 3 thats similar to what ive just described as res as

But your primary actions in Resi 4 is shooting zombies, advancing. Plus you get ranked at the end of each mission, which doesn't seem particularly actiony-adventurey to me.

As for Metroid Prime 3, it involves backtracking, collecting those damn annoying Energy Cells which were a bugger to find, there's an end boss in each area á la Zelda, you upgrade your equipment as you have done in every other Metroid Prime game...The only prime difference (heh) is that it's less of an isolated action-adventure game due to the inclusion of very poorly implemented "totally RAAAD" bounty-hunter friends, but it's definitely still an adventure game, in my eyes at least.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 17:58

I'm tempted to say that we should just call a spade a spade: you aim and shoot things with a gun, ergo Prime 3 is a shooter. That said, I know shooters can rely on exploration and object-based puzzles too. Honestly, call it both an adventure game and a shooter before a tedious debate begins. PLEASE!
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 18:07

Surely that's a tad too black and white XD Having a gun in a game doesn't instantly make it a shooter. Metroid puts its emphasis on exploring therefore it's surely an adventure. Resi 4 is about going where it tells you and killing all the dudes along the way.

I wouldn't say CoD was just a linear shooter as much as it is a corridor shooter, games can give you a little bit of freedom and still be linear, like Crysis.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 18:08

so gears is chainsawer then as i used that all the time and didnt shoot
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 18:15

Week 2 end!

This week, we had an enormous 12 votes. 12! That's a 50% increase, and in only one case did I have to grovel to the person myself. (Thanks person!) I encourage anyone who hasn't voted yet to get in on the fun and help create a more representative picture of the forum's views. You're not poop, honest. I was just joking last week. Ahem.

Fifth place:
Spoiler:

Fourth place:
Spoiler:

Third place:
Spoiler:

Second place:
Spoiler:

Our Wiikly Winner:
Spoiler:

Honourable Mentions:
Spoiler:

Dishonourable Mentions:
Spoiler:

But what about Little King's Story?
Spoiler:

Again, thanks to all our voters. Discuss your collective opinions, complain how SPM is a platformer rather than an RPG, and vote in Week Three!

...although it looks like I'm going to have to arbitrate on that one too, which I shall do shortly. In the meantime, I can say that there is no way that a game released on the GC and Wii simultaneously (TP) or a game never seen on Nintendo consoles before (Okami) are being omitted, especially when they're arguably two of the top adventure contenders.

Last edited by Balladeer on Sat 11 May 2013 - 11:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 18:25

Very surprised that SPM finished first. I suppose because it's a Mario RPG it made most lists so picked up a lot of points that way. Interesting result though!

andyman949 wrote:
Surely that's a tad too black and white XD Having a gun in a game doesn't instantly make it a shooter. Metroid puts its emphasis on exploring therefore it's surely an adventure. Resi 4 is about going where it tells you and killing all the dudes along the way.

I wouldn't say CoD was just a linear shooter as much as it is a corridor shooter, games can give you a little bit of freedom and still be linear, like Crysis.

Yeah, this is my thoughts summarised. Just out of interest, I checked the Prime trilogy Wikipedia page which had it down as "first person action-adventure" (quite pedantic if you ask me, but that's Wikipedia), but there was a quote from Retro Studios that might solve our issue here: "Lead designer Mark Pacini said that after picking that perspective, the crew decided not to make a traditional first-person shooter, as 'We weren't trying to fit in that genre. We had to break down the stereotypes of what a first-person game is and make a fun Metroid game.'"
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 18:33

andyman949 wrote:
Surely that's a tad too black and white XD Having a gun in a game doesn't instantly make it a shooter. Metroid puts its emphasis on exploring therefore it's surely an adventure.

That's even more black and white - you're ignoring that it's a first person shooter. Either way, I suggest it's both a shooter and an adventure game, though it makes no difference to me as I thought the Prime series was mince!

~

I'm happy that the RPG week is over with! Super Paper Mario was OK from what I played, but nothing to suggest that it wouldn't be in my top fifty Wii games.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 18:42

I agree with phillps, anyway nice rpg list but i am shocked at number 1. I am now tempted to buy fire emblem and paper mario. Ohh and was i the only one to vote for graces
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 19:11

What genre is silent hill, project zero, metroid other m and cursed moutain coming under
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 19:55

The LAME genre Winky Face
Other M should come under adventure I'd say (dishonourable mentions section of that)

Kinda dissapointed at number 1 I like SPM but there's plenty of great RPGs on wii that coulda trumped it.
Also FF IV TAY? The game that makes you pay if you want anything other than a brief intro to 5 stories! Thats dishonourable mention material there if I ever did see it!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 20:46

Most of my list this week was filler, and it turns out that one of my filler votes came first. Laughing

Good to see a decent rundown in that list, and also interesting to note that a couple of the entries were late additions to the Wii's library. I suspect they're there on their own merits (having never played them), but it's also possibly because they're fresh in people's minds.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 20:49

wonder if anyone actually put paper mario as number 1 but just got a lot of votes
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 20:53

It says 2 people voted it as their numero uno.
I can certainly vouch that Xenoblade is because it's just a fantastic RPG, it's probably my favourite JRPG.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Mar 2013 - 21:07

yep see it now, ohh and see xeno had 3 number 1 place's. I can vouch for last story it was brilliant game and got me back into the jrpg genre of rpgs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The BIG Wii Voting Thread, Voting Wii-kly: Thanks For Voting!
Page 4 of 27Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next