We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Console Games On Mobiles

Go down 
+6
Balladeer
Admin
Gwyn400
Crumpy Andy
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

Console Games On Mobiles Empty
PostSubject: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 12 Mar 2013 - 7:57

Hey, y'all.

A good few months ago I downloaded Final Fantasy II onto my iPhone. I also noticed that you can download Secret Of Mana, Chrono Trigger and a few other Final Fantasies. Has anyone got a 'former' console game or two on their phones? How widespread is buying these, d'you reckon?

Initially the controls wound me up (and they do still irritate) but I'm seeing past them to enjoy the game beneath.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 12 Mar 2013 - 9:12

I've got a healthy collection of console games on my Android, including Max Payne, NBA Jam (2010), Sonic CD and ChuChu Rocket!. On mobile isn't my preferred method of play, but like you I can look past the annoying controls and to the game underneath, particularly if it's only cost me a couple of quid.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 12 Mar 2013 - 11:29

Max Payne?! I can't even begin to work out how that'd work Shocked
Back to top Go down
Gwyn400
FMK Tagline
Gwyn400

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 12 Mar 2013 - 12:53

I have GTA 3, Final Fantasy 3 and a bunch of PS1 games on my Xperia Play but the touch pad joysticks are awful in GTA and Final Fantasy 3 for some stupid reason cant use the Xperia Play controls so I really only play the PS1 games. Would never use touch screen controls for a console game though
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 12 Mar 2013 - 14:38

The only former console (well, handheld) game I have on a phone is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. It's as lazy a port as they come (particularly how the screen is shamelessly divided up like the DS' twin-screens), but none of that can knock the story and characters.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 12 Mar 2013 - 15:05

I've thought about buying PW:AA, but I've heard rumours of a compilation of Phoenix titles coming out for iOS for which it might be worth waiting. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 12 Mar 2013 - 16:23

I was very close to buying the TWEWY iOS port, but spite at the lack of a sequel got the better of me, and I didn't bother. Did anyone here actually buy it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 12 Mar 2013 - 17:08

One console port I adore is Sonic CD, of which Sega commissioned Christian Whitehead to make.

It's just such an lovingly made port, optimised for widescreen and appears pixel perfect with no upscaling (may be because my phone's resolution is 800 x 480). Runs really well, too, at a silky smooth 60fps and the virtual consoles are presented with Mega Drive style icons (work great too).

Even the menu design is excellent, using a touch scrolling interface in 16bit style.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 12 Mar 2013 - 22:50

Balladeer wrote:
I've thought about buying PW:AA, but I've heard rumours of a compilation of Phoenix titles coming out for iOS for which it might be worth waiting. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Yeah it's meant to be coming out at some stage in your summer.

On my phone I have GTA 3, GTA VC, PW:AA, GTA CTW, PvZ, Scribblenauts, World of Goo, Beat Hazard, Theaterrythem and Ghost trick
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyWed 13 Mar 2013 - 1:21

I'd steer clear of the Ace Attorney HD 'remake' compilation if I were you, it's very much a lazy job.

the artwork has merely been upscaled with a filter applied to it, as such characters tend to look worse than the original blocky sprites from the original (when I'm on a computer I'll post up a screenshot or two). Knowing Capcom too it'll be unoptimised (though framerate isn't really an issue for this sort or game it is still inefficient).

Update:

Looks like I was wrong - the GBA game's sprites were downscaled from the original illustrations, and the iOS HD Trilogy uses said original illustrations:

Console Games On Mobiles IuuZ3GAwPEnWE

I just can't get over how crummy Maya looks there though, as if they just drew over the original sprite...
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyWed 13 Mar 2013 - 5:13

I think I've seen that style somewhere before
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyWed 13 Mar 2013 - 7:55

sporkhead wrote:
I'd steer clear of the Ace Attorney HD 'remake' compilation if I were you, it's very much a lazy job.

the artwork has merely been upscaled with a filter applied to it, as such characters tend to look worse than the original blocky sprites from the original (when I'm on a computer I'll post up a screenshot or two). Knowing Capcom too it'll be unoptimised (though framerate isn't really an issue for this sort or game it is still inefficient).

I'm not sure I'll notice, never having played the originals, but I'll bear that in mind should I pick it up.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyThu 14 Mar 2013 - 10:41

Balladeer wrote:
I'm not sure I'll notice, never having played the originals, but I'll bear that in mind should I pick it up.

Blimey! I'd forgotten you'd never played the originals, Balla. Ghost Trick is your only current Takumi experience, then? Not a bad way to start. Grin

@Jay: My iPhone 3G is too creaky to run anything cool like TWEWY, Ghost Trick, Simpsons Tapped Out! and Rayman Jungle Run. Bah!

Fortunately, I have the ability to play all of those games in other forms except for Tapped Out!. Which I hear isn't exactly amazing anyway.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyThu 14 Mar 2013 - 10:47

Yes, and if the PW games are anywhere near as good as GT I've got a lot to look forward to!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyThu 14 Mar 2013 - 10:52

The stories are every bit as good, though the presentation is still firmly stuck in the GBA era. For better or worse.

The sound effects and music have a distinct charm for that, though it will take a bit of getting used to if you're used to Ghost Trick's amazing paint job (which you are).
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyThu 14 Mar 2013 - 13:27

Come to think of it I will get this but I should see if my housemate still has my DS games
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptySat 16 Mar 2013 - 14:51

Stu_the_great wrote:
The stories are every bit as good, though the presentation is still firmly stuck in the GBA era. For better or worse.

The sound effects and music have a distinct charm for that, though it will take a bit of getting used to if you're used to Ghost Trick's amazing paint job (which you are).

I *loved* the tinny GBA style midi music. Something I sorely missed in the DS-exclusive games, as good as their music was!

Hopefully I'm not the only one who feels Justice For All was a bit underrated - its last case was easily the best in the entire series.
Back to top Go down
Kieron
F-Zero Rookie
Kieron

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyFri 17 May 2013 - 10:01

Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mysteries came out for IOS and Vita yesterday. It's a great title if you've ever played and enjoyed Professor Layton or Puzzle Quest 1 or 2.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyMon 9 Sep 2013 - 21:00

I've finally acquired the Phoenix Wright trilogy, and yes, I can see the problems with the art. I trust that the first case is very simple and tutorial-ish compared to others? Otherwise I'll have finished the first game by tomorrow evening!
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyMon 9 Sep 2013 - 22:09

Yo are correct, the other cases are much longer and actually involve some thought. Seeing all this Pheonix Wright talk is getting me dangerously close to firing them up again...
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013 - 6:05

I'm doing them over time, at the moment I'm still going through dual destinies.

Oh and I see that COD has somehow been made for IOS now..
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013 - 7:44

How not to get any sleep: a gamer's guide.
  1. Download Phoenix Wright Trilogy before going to bed.
  2. Get a bit into the second case.

How did I not pick this game up when it came out? Duh! 
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013 - 16:13

It's a mystery to us all, Balla. Right up your street, as far as I can see.

~~~

Final Fantasy V is available on iOS. Do I buy it for £11, or do I wait until it's released on a proper console (I know, I know - I mean one with a joypad)?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013 - 16:39

Balla: Is the Android port worth it then or should I just seek out the DS versions?

Zero: The Final Fantasy mobile ports are actually pretty good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles EmptyTue 10 Sep 2013 - 16:59

The DS versions are probably worth it if you can seek them out.  Less obnoxious artwork and a better layout: might be cheaper too (on iOS it's the three games for £13).  But the iOS games are all in one place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Console Games On Mobiles   Console Games On Mobiles Empty

Back to top Go down

Console Games On Mobiles
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next