We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last game you finished and your thoughts

Go down 
+27
The Christ
Cube
Buskalilly
ZeroSuitSamus2
awesomedude
Rum
ShadoWolf
SuperPaperLink
Vidofnir
mandlecreed
beemoh
Dusty Knackers
The Cappuccino Kid
NintenDUCK
Jimbob
Treesmurf
Admin
masofdas
Crumpy Andy
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
fronkhead
Balladeer
Silver light
nupkin
ZeroJones
Athrun888
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptySat 19 Oct 2013 - 4:03

Quote :
Definitely looking to get this. Does it play like The Walking Dead does?

Pretty much, though it does have more actions scenes.

steamworld dig

Short and sweet, the mechanics are really clever as you essentially mine for loot to upgrade your character. I do wish it had a bit more action to it just to break up the mining a tad but otherwise definitely worthy of being a part of your e shop collection. (It's currently on sale too)
Back to top Go down
Cube
Garreg Mach Geography Teacher

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptySat 19 Oct 2013 - 14:55

JayMoyles wrote:

I've been hearing that these so-called choices don't really affect the story in a major way and are in fact quite superficial. Is that assessment right?
That assessment is right and, apart from a few indie games, the same assessment is true of every game with choices.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptySat 19 Oct 2013 - 15:42

I'd disagree with that. Choices you make in RPGs can drastically alter your path through a questline. For such a story-driven game like Beyond Two Souls, you'd surely expect some sort of consequence for your choices.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptySat 19 Oct 2013 - 17:56

I played heavy rain 3 times got 3 different endings due to my choices in game, I can think of a few game's choices make a difference to the end.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptySat 19 Oct 2013 - 18:07

I don't think Heavy Rain is really down to choices as much as being successful/failing.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptySat 19 Oct 2013 - 18:37

It's still the story changing based on your actions - a couple of Beyond Two Souls reviews said that they put the controller down and beyond Ellen Page getting beat up a little more, they still passed the scene and nothing changed really.
Back to top Go down
Cube
Garreg Mach Geography Teacher

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptySat 19 Oct 2013 - 20:17

The changes this time are much more personal rather than plot related. There's one scene where some pretty bad stuff happens and this affects a later section. However, there are a couple of ways where you can avoid the bad stuff.

The choices affect her relationships with people, and some of the stuff that happens will affect which choices you think are best for Jodie at the end of the game.

It's a lot more subtle about it all. If there was a consequence for failing the fight, it would have been something like "Jodie has died. Please try again". While it's essentially a cut-scene the way you do it, you really don't care if you're drawn into the game - the fight are still very nerve-wrecking and do you feel afraid for Jodie.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptySun 20 Oct 2013 - 18:28

Pokemon X

I finished this 1am this morning, with a activity log of 27hrs. It was good but did reinvent the wheel or anything, the new mon weren't that great apart from Sylveon, story was a bit muh especially after B&Ws. But the jump to 3D was good. It's a very good pokemon game but not the best out of all them. Still a high 8/10 though.

Anyway I'm going to go play Y.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyThu 24 Oct 2013 - 22:02

Superbrothers: Swords and Sworcery EP - Brilliant puzzler, with some of the best sound design I've ever seen in a game. It's so aurally pleasurable, it'd be a crime to play this without headphones. Try it out, it's only a few hours long and it's available on PC and mobile devices.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyFri 25 Oct 2013 - 20:28

I suppose Pokemon Y. I forgot to say anything when I beat it but Pokemon Y. I'd say it's easily the best Pokemon game to date. While it does nothing new it refines the games to a standard unheard of for the franchise, the Pokemon all look fantastic, the music is polished and well instrumented, and general refinements to the gameplay make playing online and standing a chance possible even for people who don't want to spend hours learning about hidden mechanics. Cons would be the story and how it doesn't come close to the first Black and White games, but on the other hand it wasn't intrusive and made a nice excuse to traverse the region.

Other positive remarks I have is the diversity, while the games had the least new Pokemon ever the actual amount of Pokemon in each area is easily the highest ever. So huge it required three whole Pokedex's for them. Also while some of the new pokemon designs are somewhat questionable in quality, the ones that look good look really good, the cover legendary duo are stylish and cool and the starters are largely visually appealing. Overall Pokemon Y has in my eyes proved itself to be every bit the evolution this series needed to prevent it from getting stale, I haven't enjoyed a Pokemon game this much since Emerald version.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyTue 29 Oct 2013 - 9:54

I don't get people's problems with X/Y's story.  Sure, it didn't have as much impact on the gameplay, but I found the idea of a Pokémon war much more inspiring than N's shenanigans.  What were your favourite new Pokémon, Athrun?  Hawlucha, Honedge and Xerneas all qualify for me.  (Bunnelby can sod right off.)

Anyway:

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

I'm having problems giving my impartial opinion on this.  I found the conclusion to the game really disappointing: not so much the final cut-scene, which like the rest of them would have been great but for Athena's voice actress, but the villain and his reveal.  So, so underwhelming compared to the primary villains of... well, every other Ace Attorney ever.  And that being my last memory colours the rest of the game.

Which is a shame, because the supporting cast were pretty good.  Much though I hate Athena's voice, I thought she was a good character with an interesting gimmick and some very nice (possibly not the right word) backstory.  Apollo has been rescued from the Scrappy Heap, but it's nice to have the main man back in charge; and Blackquill's a suitably intimidating presence who blows Klavier and Franziska out of the water, although he can't match Godot.  

Other new characters are as solid as is par for the series, including the rest of the villains, apart from Detective Fullbright who has nothing on Gumshoe or even Skye.  The cameos are more variable, with two old characters seemingly appearing just for the sake of appearing, and another being undone by the voice work again.  Still, they're nice touches, and I definitely appreciated two of them.

The story itself has its fair share of humour, despite what ONM may say, but it's definitely got a darker edge to it.  The gameplay has been smoothed, with investigation limited to a set number of places and Apollo's "magic eye" similarly restricted: the latter is definitely for the better, but I'm not convinced about the former.  And of course, the whole thing looks gorgeous, the second major franchise this month to really benefit from a 3D overhaul.  I had the 3D effect up the whole time.  

It's not my favourite AA game, but it's still good.  7/10

Last edited by Balladeath on Tue 29 Oct 2013 - 11:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyTue 29 Oct 2013 - 10:00

Good to hear your review of AA:DD, I bought based on what you guy's have been saying and what you just said is making look forward to the rest it.

We all know Sylveon is the best new mon.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyTue 29 Oct 2013 - 10:03

I hope you enjoy it, Mas. I really love the series, this game included, and I hope enough people invest to bring AA6 (and hopefully AAI2/3) to this country as well!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyThu 31 Oct 2013 - 22:03

Huh, it's been much longer since i last posted in here than i'd thought...at any rate, here's a couple;

Sonic Lost World. You know, from the prerelease stuff, i thought it actually looked like it was going to be amazing. And then, i played it. Yeeeaaaah...hugely disappointing. They made good use of the cutscene budget but otherwise the gameplay is just...it's not good. The physics just aren't there, it can get pretty damn cheap difficulty-wise later on and generally just doesn't feel quite glued together most of the time. The wisps feel utterly pointless. Some of the stage gimmicks thrown in clearly weren't thought through. The whole "must have X animals to unlock next stage" feels like artifical gametime lengthening at it's worst. And that's with me trying to be nice to it here... Neutral

Just very disappointed. So very disappointed. It's not Sonic 06, but it's definitely one of the worst Sonic's i've played.

Next, Far Cry 3...which was much more than i was expecting of it. Still just your standard open world FPS stuff really, though. Only with added trippiness and jungle. Not something i think i'll ever return to again, but considering it was technically free (<3 PS+) i'm pretty fine with that.

Lastly, Ever17 -the out of infinity-, one of Uchikoshi's works prior to the excellent 999 and Virtue's Last Reward. And, it's great. Like, really great. The OST is solid and fits perfectly, while the cast (with the exception of one character i absolutely hate with a burning passion) is good stuff. And then that story. That sodding story. Like 999, it's one of those tales which you just do not want to ever have spoiled for you if you ever plan to play it.

I honestly think it is one of the best things i've played all year. Yes, better than Fire Emblem Awakening. Better than Dragon's Crown. Better than Wind Waker HD and Pokemon X/Y, amongst others. Although my personally taste may or may not be making me a little biased in that statement >_>
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyThu 31 Oct 2013 - 23:14

I tried Ever17 last year and ditched it due to the incredibly slow, uninvolving start. Interactive gaming that was not.

I'm certainly up for trying it again amidst rumours it may see a digital rerelease on one of PC's many stores, though.

Silver light wrote:
[color=#339933]but considering it was technically free (<3 PS+)
Well, bar the cost of your time which you could in most instances allocate to a better game...
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyFri 1 Nov 2013 - 1:44

Goodbye Deponia, which is an above-alright old-school point and click. Even though I've not played them yet, I'd probably advise playing the two games prior ("Deponia" and "Chaos on Deponia") first, but it's enjoyable enough on its own.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptySat 2 Nov 2013 - 23:48

Wrapped up two today!

Rogue Legacy - Brilliant game. The sprites were bright and colourful, and the music was great. It utilised the roguelike genre perfectly, and the idea that your character's sons and daughters inherit the gold and armour you collect was a solid idea. It had that "one-more-go" mentality that made it difficult to put down. Addictive, and highly recommended.

Dead Island - In two minds about this zombie action RPG... On the one hand, it was riddled with bugs and the combat and questing grew tired around the midway point of the game. On the other hand, it was one of the most immersive games I've ever played. The environments looked lush, and it sounded great - hearing a zombie growl in your ear was genuinely chilling, headphones are a must. If you're willing to persevere and overlook the bugs, it's a surprisingly solid game - I got 25 hours out of it.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptySun 3 Nov 2013 - 1:47

Binary Domain, which was a pleasant surprise. I only really played it since Sega's Nagoshi (Super Monkey Ball!) directed it, but I got quite the compelling shooter, which had some great enemy design (all the robots are incredibly satisfying to shoot, and AI is generally great) and memorable bosses.

What was also interesting was the game's setting and story, which I expected nothing about. Instead the last few hours turned out to be very thought provoking, and Binary Domain had the right mix between not taking things seriously and vice versa.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptySun 3 Nov 2013 - 10:05

Which ending did you get fronk, I really enjoyed aswell very under-rated game of the 7th gen.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyWed 6 Nov 2013 - 0:50

Bastion - Should have gotten round to playing this ages ago. What a treat! Beautiful visuals with some really great enemy design. The gameplay, whilst initially a little too basic really opens up as you begin unlocking weapons to broaden your options in combat and unlocking the option to make the pretty easy combat somewhat tougher. The game's really shining point is its sound. Dear lord - the music is beautiful and should be a must listen even if you haven't played the game, and the narration is so damn awesome. I wish I had a gravelly voiced southern man narrating my life.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyWed 6 Nov 2013 - 10:55

Now you see Jay, why I can wait for transistor on PS4.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyWed 6 Nov 2013 - 18:09

Ooh, first of me hearing about that. Very similar art style, and it's getting a PC release too. Smile 
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyMon 11 Nov 2013 - 13:15

Down goes Super Castlevania IV. I hadn't played it before it's Wii U Virtual Console release, but felt I owed it to myself as a retro gamer to give it a try. Bloody brilliant. I can only imagine how amazing this was back in the early 90's, but I'm really impressed with it today. I don't think I'd have managed it without the save states, so I'm grateful that being able to create restore points had made it infinitely more accessible for somebody who's as rubbish at games as I am.

Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyMon 11 Nov 2013 - 15:54

Castlevania IV is solid, so there's no shame in savestating your way through it. Absolutely cracking music in it too.
Back to top Go down
2grundies
F-Zero Rookie
2grundies

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 EmptyMon 11 Nov 2013 - 19:17

Dark Cloud (PS2).

I can't think of a better way to spend 60 or so hours. I've loved this from beginning to end. The georama/village building is a unique concept (and a puzzle in itself if you want to 100% it, to get the rewards). The fact that every dungeon level is randomly generated keeps it interesting even when you need to grind a bit. The fishing is fun and reaps a whole heap of benefits if you spend a little time and have patience. (I'll give you a tip...dusk, Muska Racka, poisonous apple Winky Face
The weapon upgrade system seems pretty simplistic at first glance but once you get into it, its pretty deep and can consume a fair mount of time if you want to build up to the final weapon evolutions.

All in all, well worth seeking out if rpg's are your thing and if they're not....it'd be a good place to start. Grin 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last game you finished and your thoughts
Page 11 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next