We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?

Go down 
+25
kerr9000
Buskalilly
Crumpy Andy
Spiralcannon2-CW
EofGizmo
ssmmdd
The Cappuccino Kid
Fastpie
gjones
oldschool
Treesmurf
Cube
Jimbob
mandlecreed
Dusty Knackers
ZeroJones
fronkhead
JayMoyles
Silver light
Balladeer
Vidofnir
The_Jaster
masofdas
beemoh
Admin
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyTue 3 Mar 2015 - 15:19

To say they've only got four possible moves, I'm having difficulty getting the Iron Knuckles down in a fight...
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyTue 3 Mar 2015 - 21:33

Jumping and attacking is a good way to cheese them out. You just have to be careful about when to jump in, and be prepared to block any attack they throw at you. It's a lot more cerebral than Zelda 1's combat, I reckon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyFri 6 Mar 2015 - 7:22

You're right, Jay - Zelda 1's combat was all about positioning and pausing at the right time to deflect attacks. Zelda 2's was much more tactical (unless you got overlevelled, as I normally did Embarrassed ).

Still the original Shantae for me, getting a look-in whenever all my Shuffle hearts are used up. About halfway through and it's beginning to challenge Pirate's Curse for the title of best in series. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyFri 6 Mar 2015 - 9:31

JayMoyles wrote:
Jumping and attacking is a good way to cheese them out. You just have to be careful about when to jump in, and be prepared to block any attack they throw at you. It's a lot more cerebral than Zelda 1's combat, I reckon.

I think I have Iron Knuckles downpat, now. Stalfos are much less tricky: you simply fire a blow into their shield and then go for the knees. I'd be absolutely stuffed without save states in this game, it's almost unbelievably harsh!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyFri 6 Mar 2015 - 11:47

It's a toughie, but most NES games are, unfortunately. Meh
Back to top Go down
mandlecreed
Bokoblin
mandlecreed

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyFri 6 Mar 2015 - 16:44

Front Mission : Gun Hazard - SFC.

Unfortunately, the story sections of this RPG/Cybernator cross aren't in English like the original Front Mission, so I'm screwed Laughing

Managed to fudge my way in to a mission, and the Super Play review of yore was spot on. The mech and its mechanics just don't stand up to the ones found in Cybernator, and the shootyness ends up a touch more frustrating as a result.

Eeh well.

Did also have an extended spell on Gokujou Parodius on the SFC too, which is bonkers, unfair in places too which is odd for a Konami shooter, and the music isn't a patch on the original Parodius score. All the samples and instruments etc seem muffled or not as well done as in the original. The lunacy of some of it means I can forgive it though.

Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/mandlecreed02
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptySat 7 Mar 2015 - 9:34

I do like me some Parodius. I was fortunate enough to track down a copy of the collection on the humble PSP; I particularly hearts the music. Grin
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptySat 7 Mar 2015 - 10:59

Always baffled me why Parodius never appeared on the Wii VC. Meh Sure, we've got Axelay now, but Parodius is much more fun.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 14:27

Has anyone played Power Ring
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 22:39

I think Parodius probably upsets some "boards" that didn't exist at the time of its original release (and the sequels got worse!)
Sorry mas, I haven't played Power Ring, nor can I find reference to it - might need a clue! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 22:53

It's a mega drive game made by naughty dog & published by EA. I've never played it and only just found it was a thing.

So looked on eBay it's about £15, so was trying to find out if it was worth getting.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015 - 22:23

Zero Mission! I was hoping to have it blasted on Sunday night but the GamePad ran out of charge, and I take that as a cue to stop playing. As soon as my next chance comes up, it's time. Really enjoying it.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyFri 20 Mar 2015 - 18:18

Glad you're enjoying Zero Mission, Zero! It's a short one, but it's still my favourite Metroid game. Not to mention the only game in the franchise I've aced, come to think of it.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyFri 20 Mar 2015 - 18:23

Currently playing a bit of Link's Awakening. I probably shouldn't have played it right after finishing Link Between Worlds - it looks REALLY dated by comparison. I'm more of a 3D Zelda guy as well, which isn't helping either. I'm still having fun, but not as much as I likely would have if I played this pre-LBW.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyFri 20 Mar 2015 - 18:25

Every time I've played LA I've got hopelessly lost to the point of giving in. It's pretty much destroyed any enthusiasm I ever had for the game, which is a shame because the dungeons and bosses I encountered were pretty fun.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyFri 20 Mar 2015 - 18:27

I tried to play through this without a guide, but I caved after getting hopelessly lost on the overworld. The dungeons and puzzles are fine, but progressing through the overworld is a pain. Meh
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyFri 20 Mar 2015 - 18:29

Zero Mission and Link's Awakening are both small but perfectly formed, I'd say. The former is a lovely slice of Metroid pie and the latter remains one of the best adverts for the original Game Boy there is.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptySun 22 Mar 2015 - 9:07

I had a quick go at F-Zero Maximum Velocity, one of the games I got in the Stars Catalogue apocalypse. It's really difficult! I've completed the original on the first two difficulties, but I couldn't even get past track 3 of the easy GP series on the easy difficulty. DAMN YOU!
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyMon 23 Mar 2015 - 14:39

I'm playing Zero Mission also, and I'm finding I can't move on until I explore every nook and cranny of the world for the items but as I was exploring Chozodia I happened upon a speed boost wall in a weird location where I wouldn't have enough room to gain the speed I needed to break it.

I was totally stumped so I googled it and found the solution, executing that solution was a different matter entirely as it took me good hour and a half. (maybe even 2 hours)

Here's what I had to do in video form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yHMd8I3o1s

(side note: This guy makes it look easy but trust me it was a colossal pain in the arse!)
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyMon 23 Mar 2015 - 15:04

I could never get the hang of Shinesparking. Props to you Jas!

I started playing The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. I'm surprised by how similar it is to Link's Awakening DX - it plays very much the same, like Ocarina and Majora, but the world design seems a lot less confusing then in Link's Awakening.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyMon 23 Mar 2015 - 18:00

It's just so damn fiddly to pull off as one tiny mess up on a button input and you'll be restarting from scratch, I had to be super patient with it but I did turn the air blue a fair few times the worst of those being where I got to the final little ledge and forgot to press right on the D-pad which meant I went upwards instead. Hissy fit
Back to top Go down
mandlecreed
Bokoblin
mandlecreed

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyMon 23 Mar 2015 - 22:20

JayMoyles wrote:
I could never get the hang of Shinesparking. Props to you Jas!

I started playing The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. I'm surprised by how similar it is to Link's Awakening DX - it plays very much the same, like Ocarina and Majora, but the world design seems a lot less confusing then in Link's Awakening.

I loved the Seasons/Ages games, and especially some of the new tools Capcom brought to Link's table. Not sure which ones have the following, but one of them has a damn confusing mountain range to traverse, and one has some bloody awkward floor tile puzzles. Would happily play through them again if I could be bothered to set up the Cube/GB player and get the carts from the bookcase Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/mandlecreed02
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyMon 23 Mar 2015 - 22:52

Seasons is a lot of fun, thus far! I've just got the Rod of Seasons, and changing the season to manipulate the world is a really neat mechanic. Smile
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyMon 23 Mar 2015 - 23:34

Seasons/Ages don't get the credit they deserve. Brilliant games, the pair of them - though some of the puzzles on Ages are obscure! There's a thread about 'em knocking around somewhere... or a big discussion shortly after they were released on the 3DS VC, at least. Neutral
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 EmptyTue 24 Mar 2015 - 14:27

What about playing retro games on a new system, I can't find much on it apart from the facebook page but sounds cool if they can get the likes of watermelon who made Pier Solar as a Mega Drive game along with others to bring stuff to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?
Page 6 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17 ... 28  Next