We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Getting Properly Stuck

Go down 
+5
JayMoyles
Admin
Gwyn400
masofdas
Balladeer
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Getting Properly Stuck Empty
PostSubject: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptyThu 11 Apr 2013 - 17:16

I'm not talking "help, I need to use the Internet". I'm talking, "there is no way I can complete the game now unless I restart". This is possibly an RPG-exclusive trope, because you can reach an inescapable place while underlevelled, but glitches or sequence breaking might make it apply to other genres. Anyway, has anyone else experienced this?

As said in the FF thread, I have, twice. Both RPGs. One was reaching an inescapable dungeon in FFIV with a hideously underlevelled squad, such that I had to run from even normal enemies. Needless to say, I couldn't get past the boss at all.

The other was in DS RPG Infinite Space, where killing enemies can only get you so far: you need ship parts to really improve. And I was stuck in a place in the galaxy, between a boss I couldn't beat and an escape portal with no shops in between the two, and returning to the portal resulted in, "I can't leave this backwater until I've sorted this problem." Hissy fit Never have I wanted to break a videogame hero on the wheel so much.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptyThu 11 Apr 2013 - 17:37

I'm stuck on Ni No Kuni, I could do it if i backtracked and maybe level up some more and buy some more coffe.
Back to top Go down
Gwyn400
FMK Tagline
Gwyn400

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptyFri 12 Apr 2013 - 16:55

Lost Magic on the DS, I loved that game, it helped start my love for strategy games but sadly its one of the few games I've ever had to permanently rage quit because at a certain point you have to make a choice, I chose the one that drops me right at a hard boss fight with nowhere to level up and I didn't save for a while before the choice Duh! never finished that game and now probably never will
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptyFri 12 Apr 2013 - 22:18

The genres I love aren't usually affected by this problem, though I have occasionally started a game, got so far in, got sidetracked and/or bored, not returned to the game for years and then started again for the story's sake. Last time I did this was with Epic Mickey, which I now consider to be one of my favourite Wii games.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptyFri 12 Apr 2013 - 22:26

Balladeer wrote:
As said in the FF thread, I have, twice. Both RPGs. One was reaching an inescapable dungeon in FFIV with a hideously underlevelled squad, such that I had to run from even normal enemies. Needless to say, I couldn't get past the boss at all.

This was me in FFIII DS, last area, and last boss. Still haven't beaten the bloody game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptyFri 12 Apr 2013 - 22:55

I think I've done it with ZombiU. I've accidentally managed to skip an objective, and now the game won't progress.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptySun 14 Apr 2013 - 10:44

Not sure I've ever been game-breakingly stuck, although there was one time I thought I was in Pulseman when I dropped into a pit that was too big to jump out of normally. I reset the game and almost instantly discovered a different jump that could have got me out of the situation. Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptySun 14 Apr 2013 - 13:29

Balladeer wrote:

I managed this on Ragnarok Online, the first time around I played that- managed to get myself into a cave where I could only just take down one basic enemy without dying, but then had to sit off and wait for my heath to recharge (which would take upwards of two or three minutes) before taking on another.

I couldn't leave the cave, because I'd somehow managed to walk straight past all the much more powerful beasties outside the cave on the way in and couldn't repeat the feat on the way out, and levelling was utterly glacial because not only was the EXP a bit unbalanced in that area, being an MMO meant you lost EXP whenever you died. Which, given my impatience and frequent lag spikes, was a regular occurrence.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptySun 14 Apr 2013 - 20:49

beemoh wrote:
...being an MMO meant you lost EXP whenever you died.

I am pretty sure that this files away under "flipping stoopid gameplay mechanics".
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptyMon 15 Apr 2013 - 7:22

Balladeer wrote:
beemoh wrote:

I am pretty sure that this files away under "flipping stoopid gameplay mechanics".
The reverse of "What cannot kill you only makes you stronger", I suppose! *is never touching MMO's - I like my EXP, preciousssss*
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptyMon 15 Apr 2013 - 13:05

Balladeer wrote:
beemoh wrote:

Oh nonono- the flipping stoopid mechanic is that it doesn't stop when you lose all that levels EXP.

While you wouldn't level down, you would still have to grind back up to 0 EXP in order to progress through that level.

Suffice to say, it wasn't long before I gave up.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptyMon 15 Apr 2013 - 16:11

You mean - you get minus EXP? Shocked

Duh! Duh! Duh!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptyTue 16 Apr 2013 - 9:08

I've always thought you should get experience when you lose. After all in real life, we learn from our mistakes.

The only RPGs I've played to completion are Pokémon and Xenoblade so I rarely get stuck by a game's mechanics.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptyTue 16 Apr 2013 - 12:46

Buskalilly wrote:
I've always thought you should get experience when you lose. After all in real life, we learn from our mistakes.

I preferred Oblivion's take, where you level up by doing, win or lose- although it's kind of an acceptable break from sense, a game where the point is to lose wouldn't be a lot of fun.

(Before anyone gets cocky, "preventing a character from winning" qualifies as winning.)
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck EmptyTue 16 Apr 2013 - 13:41

Balladeer wrote:
The other was in DS RPG Infinite Space, where killing enemies can only get you so far: you need ship parts to really improve. And I was stuck in a place in the galaxy, between a boss I couldn't beat and an escape portal with no shops in between the two, and returning to the portal resulted in, "I can't leave this backwater until I've sorted this problem." Hissy fit Never have I wanted to break a videogame hero on the wheel so much.

That's the bit I'm on. Even though I did save before you have to make a decision as to what side to take, it seemed like too much work for me to follow on from it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting Properly Stuck   Getting Properly Stuck Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting Properly Stuck
Page 1 of 1