We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Yoshi's New Island

Go down 
+16
Axis1500
Treesmurf
nupkin
Jimbob
fronkhead
Balladeer
shanks
ZeroJones
Admin
NintenDUCK
Sentinator
The Cappuccino Kid
The_Jaster
masofdas
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyTue 11 Mar 2014 - 21:54

May looks half decent for the 3DS but agree with Fronk VITA has been decent last month of so but very little for it over the rest of the year.

Also check out yesterday I bought thread.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Mar 2014 - 8:16

Balladeer wrote:
To be fair, it had a pretty astonishing previous year.  Cut the poor handheld some slack!

Whilst that is true, momentum is vital. Given both the 3DS games that have come out and its 2014 line-up so far, it feels to me like things aren't going to be as good as last year.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Mar 2014 - 8:25

Frankly this could do with being the year of the Wii U instead, although it'd need more games to be that. That said, PLvAA (reminding Fronkhead how badly he wanted another Takumi game in another thread), Mario Golf and SSB3D make a case for a decent year.

Needs more RPGs really though. And where are some more of Nintendo's flagship franchises?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Mar 2014 - 10:39

ZeroJones wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
To be fair, it had a pretty astonishing previous year.  Cut the poor handheld some slack!

Whilst that is true, momentum is vital. Given both the 3DS games that have come out and its 2014 line-up so far, it feels to me like things aren't going to be as good as last year.

This is what I've been thinking. I think if 3DS had as strong a third party lineup as DS did in the west we'd be fine, but it hasn't been the case.

On a slightly related note, it's astonishing that 3DS didn't hit Nintendo/Iwata's sales targets last year despite the lineup it had.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Mar 2014 - 14:12

I've played W1-1 it looks and feels like a Yoshi game and surprisingly I used the 3D which doesn't look bad on this.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyThu 13 Mar 2014 - 15:15

CVG's review's in.  It's by Chris Scullion, contains the words "make you look like a knob on the bus", and is not pretty (much like the game - zing!).  Basically, all the problems it looked like there were, were there. Sad

Here are some links to other reviews.  That last one is specially for Rum. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyThu 13 Mar 2014 - 16:18

So kinda what I said then from those reviews. It says it plays like a game from 20 years ago what's wrong with that as that was a brilliant game. I doubt the last one will happen soon though as it's a Nintendo game.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyFri 14 Mar 2014 - 13:19

Balladeer wrote:
Here are some links to other reviews.  That last one is specially for Rum. Winky Face

Why I oughtta!

Looked on Metacritic and saw that there were four "negative" reviews, three of them from entirely predictable sources: Edge, Metro Gamecentral, and Eurogamer. Though the Eurogamer review was by NGamer alumnus Chris Schilling, so I'm more inclined to listen to what he has to say!

I can't tell if the game is just a victim of its heritage. You know the story - "would it be rated so savagely if it was a decent game, as opposed to a decent game with links to a classic?"
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyFri 14 Mar 2014 - 15:11

Yoshi games just make me sad. The original was deliberately, rebelliously different because Miyamoto didn't want to behave. Why do people seem to think that translates to "repetitive sequels with the exact same art style"?
I'll probably do what the last review said and wait until it's cheap.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptySat 15 Mar 2014 - 9:14

After playing through to World 3-3, the immediate question is: did we underrate Yoshi's Island DS?

Aye, I don't think this is up to much. I've yet to see anything it does particularly well - some of it is solid enough, even verging on entertaining, but it isn't a great example of the genre after 1995. It bothers me that all of the music is badly remixed from Yoshi's Island on the SNES, but it downright hacks me off to see the difference between the brilliant concept art (used on the cover and in the advertising) and what's actually in the game itself. I don't think that sort of stuff would annoy me in another game, but there's so little else to comment about in Yoshi's New Island. I can see it filling some time between Layton/Ace Attorney, Mario Golf and Kirby, but not really remembering it come the summer.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptySun 16 Mar 2014 - 14:42

Rum Rapture wrote:
I can't tell if the game is just a victim of its heritage. You know the story - "would it be rated so savagely if it was a decent game, as opposed to a decent game with links to a classic?"

I originally thought this game would have solid fundamental mechanics (as lifted from the original) but would disappoint in all the ways we know it has (level design, bosses, humour, presentation etc.), but reading the EDGE review has revealed that even the fundamental mechanics have been soiled.

Apparently thrown eggs don't even pick up coins that are outside of the screen, and the 3D effect is poorly done -- solid platforms can sometimes appear behind Yoshi in 3D space. And the controls are apparently sluggish now, lacking the solid, reliable, tactile feeling egg aiming the original had.
Back to top Go down
Gogoata
Copyright Claimed by Nintendo
Gogoata

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptySat 22 Mar 2014 - 9:08

It's the same damn game I didn't play 20 years ago
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptySun 30 Mar 2014 - 0:32

I'm tempted to say the lack of discussion on the game itself rather than the game (if that makes sense) is telling as to how uninspired it is. Sigh. The worst Nintendo can do next is a 3DS equivalent to Wario: Master of Disguise.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptySun 30 Mar 2014 - 10:35

fronkhead wrote:
I'm tempted to say the lack of discussion on the game itself rather than the game (if that makes sense) is telling as to how uninspired it is. Sigh. The worst Nintendo can do next is a 3DS equivalent to Wario: Master of Disguise.

That's what this reminded me of! It's closer to the quality of Master of Disguise than it is on Yoshi's Island DS (although definitely not as bad as Wario).

Even though I just finished it a fortnight ago, it hasn't stuck with me at all. I also realised after completing it that I rated Funky Barn higher than this in the 'last game completed' thread.
Back to top Go down
Luigi442wii
Floppy and Salty

PostSubject: Haven't played it but...   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014 - 17:00

Yoshi's New Island.
I have watched a few videos of the game. It looks very good. Although I haven't played the game, it looks a nice game for the Nintendo 3DS.

In fact, I uploaded one of the trailers to my YT and commented something like this.
My original thoughts, after seeing the E3 Trailer, was that it was going to be rubbish - SMW2 is my favourite video game, tied with NSMB Wii.

Then I changed my mind on the release date, thought it was a great game, particularly when I saw some footage on MKGirlism's channel of one of the bosses.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014 - 18:50

So you like it again then?
Back to top Go down
Luigi442wii
Floppy and Salty

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014 - 18:51

shanks wrote:
So you like it again then?
Yeah, I like the game.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014 - 19:02

Ok just making sure
Back to top Go down
Kieron
F-Zero Rookie
Kieron

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 EmptySat 3 May 2014 - 12:40

On the day of release, I'm glad I bought Dark Souls 2 instead. Reading this thread, it sounds like YNI is a mixed bag.

Has anyone else noticed this game's sudden price drop to £25. Nintendo first party games rarely sell for under £30 and never in the first 2/3 months?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yoshi's New Island   Yoshi's New Island - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yoshi's New Island
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4