We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)

Go down 
+18
Rattlecat
Solve My Maze
Treesmurf
Cube
NintenDUCK
masofdas
Jimbob
Crumpy Andy
The_Jaster
Dusty Knackers
Axis1500
LikesVideoGames
ZeroJones
The Cappuccino Kid
fronkhead
shanks
Buskalilly
Balladeer
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyThu 27 Feb 2014 - 5:27

Is bopopolis level 2 - K ? If so that was a right pain in the neck & even harder than level 3-k, also I totally agree with Balla on 3-1. Smile
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyThu 27 Feb 2014 - 7:54

Yep, 2-K.  Good to hear about 3-K - I'll be happy if Bopopolis is the hardest level in the game, to be honest. I've never hated owls so much. DAMN YOU! It was good practice for Skowl, though.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyThu 27 Feb 2014 - 16:01

I bet 4K is good.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyMon 3 Mar 2014 - 21:09

Right, found something I really don't like about this game.  Ironically it's the big new thing: the swimming.  After Rayman Legends, there is no excuse for 2D platformers to have shoddy underwater controls, and while Donkey's are satisfactory when he's just paddling around in relative innocuous waters, levels like Amiss Abyss and Irate Eight have shown that it's not satisfactory for precision jellyfish dodging, and definitely not for a chase sequence.  Bear in mind that this comes from someone who thinks the barrel rockets are just fine.  

It's a small issue, though, which I suspect will become less of one after world 4 is up.  I just hope 4-K isn't flooded...
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyWed 5 Mar 2014 - 13:38

Yep agreed, I really didn't enjoy the water world.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptySat 8 Mar 2014 - 9:29

I say that, and then the (underwater) boss fight at the end of world 4 was just fine. Reminded me of Henry Hatsworth's Captain battle, only less frustrating. So they can get the underwater balance right when they want to, but then why didn't they in those two levels? DAMN YOU! 
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptySat 8 Mar 2014 - 11:58

I've just beat Lv. 4-4 in the water world, and don't have any qualms with the swimming controls whatsoever. Those in Rayman Legends were arguably better, but then Rayman Legends did most things better than pretty much every other game ever.

On that topic, how does everybody feel Tropical Freeze sits against other platformers on Wii U? At first I couldn't understand how Retro spent three years on this, but as I get more into it I am starting to appreciate the improvements that have evidently been made since DKC Returns. I'm not too far into it but it appears more well-rounded than Sonic Lost World and just plain more exciting than NSMBU/Luigi U. That said, while I wouldn't argue that it isn't better than the likes of the aforementioned games, DuckTales Remastered, Cloudberry Kingdom and Toki Tori 2 on eShop, Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D World are just too far ahead of the curve for DKCTP to compete. Am I right?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptySat 8 Mar 2014 - 22:09

I didn't want to be the first to reply to Cappa's question, as I'm monopolising this thread as it is; but I need to come back to the thread to say that I BEAT PLATFORM PROBLEMS (5-K), which is possibly even harder than Bopopolis despite its less good name, so I guess it's on me. (At least World 5 had the decency to provide the easiest boss in the game afterwards. I think I took one hit on my first and only run? Good music though.)

Not that I really can, mind you. I haven't played any of those eShop platformers (my eShop purchases remain Unepic and Trine 2 - not a healthy selection), or SLW; and I'm not representative of the majority in my views on SM3DW either. It definitely knocks NSMBU into a cocked hat, and I'm not sure that it doesn't give RLegends a good run for its money either, despite the lack of music levels and good swimming controls. It has more likeable characters (personal opinion), better art design (again, personal opinion), better soundtrack (etc. etc.), and you don't need to play either Origins levels or time trials to unlock the final world.

I will remind you: massive Nintendo fanboy here. But as things stand, my order of platformers on the Wii U goes: NSMBU < SM3DW < RL < DKCTF. I'll need to finish the latter to be sure, as it still could cock things up in World 6, and ideally give it some time to be forgotten if it proves to be forgettable.
Back to top Go down
Solve My Maze
Wii U Port
Solve My Maze

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyMon 17 Mar 2014 - 20:27

I'm loving the game so far, although I've only reached the boss of world 2. Let's just say the second phase of the battle has caused many a swear word. Not as much as the mine cart levels from DCKR, but still...
It's a smashing game though, and it looks great, even in SD. I would agree with Balladeer that it's much better than NSMBU, although for me SM3DW has the edge.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyMon 17 Mar 2014 - 20:28

Having finished DKCTF (what a disappointing final boss! Wooden Andross was much better), I'm no longer sure in which order I'd put those last three. They're all good, bordering on great, in my eyes!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptySun 30 Mar 2014 - 0:01

Just finished this & I had loads of fun with it, though for me it didn't top Rayman legends but it does come close at times especially with the kong temple levels.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptySun 30 Mar 2014 - 8:44

You know, I think it would for me? Nicer aesthetics, better soundtrack, and more game in general > faster pace, better swimming, and music levels... just.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyMon 31 Mar 2014 - 3:09

Erm...are you saying it is or isn't better than legends?
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyMon 31 Mar 2014 - 3:54

He's saying it's better than Legends.

RUM, AWAY
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyMon 31 Mar 2014 - 7:54

Top marks, that owl.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyMon 31 Mar 2014 - 12:50

Ahh what confused me was you saying it has better swimming when you had said differently before, I really didn't enjoy world 4 mainly because of the iffy controls especially when you don't have a spare kong & also not bringing back this chap was criminal.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 Enguarde-Trophy
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyTue 29 Apr 2014 - 1:04

Beat the story mode the other day but still got plenty to collect although reckon I'll struggle with a bit of it, just can't figure out how to get on certain levels, overall great stuff as expected though, doesn't do anything new but it does a cracking job none the less, very pretty, great boss battles and some inch perfect platforming, I'm unsure as to which is better out of this and Rayman, both phenomenal platformers.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyTue 29 Apr 2014 - 7:55

I'd agree with pretty much all of that summary. The Wii U is very well off for 2D (and 2D-ish) platformers!

The_Jaster wrote:
Ahh what confused me was you saying it has better swimming when you had said differently before, I really didn't enjoy world 4 mainly because of the iffy controls especially when you don't have a spare kong & also not bringing back this chap was criminal.

I did say Legends has better swimming before, didn't I? But yes, disappointingly little animal fun, bar (the rather dull) Rambi. That would have been a good way to do something new. Also: new visual filters, not just the shadow one. Anyway, they need to keep something back for DKCR3!
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyWed 10 Dec 2014 - 0:18

Chris Schilling wrote a couple of paragraphs as part of his games of 2014 mentions, and nails it. Particularly paragraph two. I've been considering a purchase now as I'm one of those people who gave it a sniffy reaction. https://shipwithoutarudder.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/games-of-2014-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze/

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyWed 10 Dec 2014 - 6:46

He's so correct. I can completely understand the initial sniffyness (I was initially sniffy too), but that doesn't stop it from being a very solid game.

He doesn't mention the music though. DAMN YOU!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyWed 10 Dec 2014 - 6:47

Some day I will revisit TF - there are still plenty of KONG letters out there, as well as extra levels to unlock - but Legends is still the better game. To be fair, in my mind, it's like the stereotypical differences between cats and dogs: Legends comes bounding up to you, cute, cuddly and easy to love; TF hangs back a little and its love has to be earned with effort.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyThu 11 Jan 2018 - 18:50

Another Wii U game back from the dead! Grin I believe the appropriate word is 'KOGNUT'?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyThu 11 Jan 2018 - 20:09

If you haven't played this, you owe yourself to do so for the soundtrack alone.  Otherwise it's a decent, hard, platformer.  The soundtrack elevates it to greatness.  2D platform games were not meant to have music this good.

EDIT: Found on Twitter:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 DTSrz4LXUAAM7eo
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyFri 12 Jan 2018 - 9:40

Not sure if I'll bother picking this up again. I enjoyed it, but I don't think enough to double dip.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 EmptyFri 12 Jan 2018 - 13:49

I, on the other hand, probably should double dip. I have unfinished business with the Wii U version - I like to make sure I get the KONG letters in every level, at least - so you never know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next