We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)

Go down 
+18
Rattlecat
Solve My Maze
Treesmurf
Cube
NintenDUCK
masofdas
Jimbob
Crumpy Andy
The_Jaster
Dusty Knackers
Axis1500
LikesVideoGames
ZeroJones
The Cappuccino Kid
fronkhead
shanks
Buskalilly
Balladeer
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptyFri 12 Jan 2018 - 20:46

If it wasn't for Kirby or Yoshi coming this year (along with any indies etc), I don't think I need three 2D platformers.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptyFri 12 Jan 2018 - 23:51

For someone who's not played any, I'd probably recommend DK out of the three; Yoshi and Kirby don't seem as though they'll have much challenge to them.

I'm, probably like yourself, more likely to get excited by smart indie platformers than this stuff though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptySat 13 Jan 2018 - 8:42

Unfortunately, I played the WiiU version to death, boring completionist I am. And no Funky Kong is gonna convince me! Nintendo need to come up with their own new member of the Kong family I reckon.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptySat 13 Jan 2018 - 11:10

Drunkalilly wrote:
For someone who's not played any, I'd probably recommend DK out of the three; Yoshi and Kirby don't seem as though they'll have much challenge to them.

I'm, probably like yourself, more likely to get excited by smart indie platformers than this stuff though.

Owlboy is coming soon to Switch and that sounds way more exciting then the 3 Nintendo games.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptySat 13 Jan 2018 - 11:13

I'm finding it difficult to get enthused about Freeze and Yoshi but Kirby Star Allies could be a lot of fun. I do agree that three 2D platformers in one year is a bit much, though. And with that, I'm away to check out this Owlboy. Grin
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptySat 13 Jan 2018 - 12:02

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
sporkhead wrote:
Crushingly disappointing waste of talent, this is, still can't get over how this is what Retro have been secretly working on over the past two years, especially with all those new hires of staff from studios like Naughty Dog.

It'll be good, but if anything shows Nintendo is playing it safe, it's this.

I just entered this thread to say exactly that. It'll help sell hardware and it'll inevitably be one of the most enjoyable Wii U games of the year, but ultimately there's no reason to get too excited. It's just Donkey Kong Country. I fancied something different too.

I remember the feeling of disappointment that was all around Tropical Freeze when it was first announced. It seems much more positive this time round, which to me emphasises once again how much better the Switch is to play and enjoy games on than the Wii U was.

I'll not be going for this again at full price though. It's a good game and definitely something to look forward to if you're unfamiliar with it, but it's very fresh in my memory.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptySat 13 Jan 2018 - 13:48

Owlboy does look like the best of the four, but I'd bet my red lettered tie that DKCTF is/will be better than KSA and whatever way Yoshi's found to disgrace the platforming genre this time.

THE SOUNDTRACK DEAR GOD PLAY IT FOR THE SOUNDTRACK
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptySat 13 Jan 2018 - 17:31

Balladeer wrote:
2D platform games were not meant to have music this good.

Can't believe I missed this, the wrongest comment in the history of the forum. There's no genre or subgenre of gaming that's ever had music so consistently good as 2D platformers. Even in Donkey Kong Country games themselves, the music is always superb. I'd have expected nothing different from Tropical Freeze, to be honest.

~

I fired my Wii U and had a bash on this for the first time in a good three years; I've completely forgotten how to play it. Meh
Back to top Go down
Solve My Maze
Wii U Port
Solve My Maze

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptySun 14 Jan 2018 - 11:06

I'm torn on this one. I enjoyed it on Wii U, but at the same time I don't want to stump up another £40 notes for the same game. Granted, Funky Wrong is in it, but him being in it isn't worth the admission price.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptySun 14 Jan 2018 - 18:28

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
2D platform games were not meant to have music this good.

Can't believe I missed this, the wrongest comment in the history of the forum. There's no genre or subgenre of gaming that's ever had music so consistently good as 2D platformers. Even in Donkey Kong Country games themselves, the music is always superb. I'd have expected nothing different from Tropical Freeze, to be honest.

Agree to disagree? 😬 Apart from the music levels of RLedge, the only 2D platformer that I can think of scaling the same musical heights is Kirby's Epic Yarn. And that was a completely different (arguably equally good) style, much more cutesy than the bombastic stylings of DKCTF.

Perhaps it's fairer to say, '2D platform games were not meant to have music this epic.'
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018 - 15:38

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 RJfsh4R

Choices validated yet again! I'm down for this - I've heard great things about Tropical Freeze and it seems like it'll likely be the best out of the platforming trio we're getting this year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptyWed 17 Jan 2018 - 18:52

If I've reduced my backlog enough, I'll get this. I think I owe DKC:TF a bit more play time. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptyMon 22 Jan 2018 - 13:33

Definitely up for this again, fancied buying and playing it through a few times recently so the announcement was perfect, don't wanna pay full price mind.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptyThu 3 May 2018 - 18:50

This is out tomorrow! Is anybody going for it?
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptyThu 3 May 2018 - 19:06

I'm not quite sure why but I've taken the plunge. Really fancy a new Switch game I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptyThu 3 May 2018 - 20:39

My God, he's even worse than I remember. No

I'm not picking it up. I can listen to the music on YouTube, and the rest of the game isn't worth a rebuy.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptyThu 3 May 2018 - 22:49

I've ordered a copy too, thanks to some soon to be expiring Tesco vouchers knocking the price down to an acceptable level. I'm looking forward to checking this out!
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptySun 6 May 2018 - 11:23

I've decided against buying this on Switch, but I've booted up the old Wii U version and revisited some of my favourite levels. Maybe I underappreciated Tropical Freeze at the time, perhaps due to some kind of platformer fatigue, but it was properly brilliant stuff. I had a great time with it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptyMon 7 May 2018 - 9:42

It is a really solid platformer in its better moments, and I recall it having fewer slow bits than its predecessor (where there was a level based around tar pits No ).  I'm glad you're enjoying it Cappa!  Also intrigued to find out how Jay, who has never played it before, is getting on.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 EmptyTue 8 May 2018 - 22:07

I'm still waiting on my copy turning up, so no news from me yet. More at 10.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7