We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Videogame Sound Effects thread

Go down 
+3
Balladeer
ZeroJones
fronkhead
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

Videogame Sound Effects thread Empty
PostSubject: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptySun 7 Jul 2013 - 13:48

Feel free to lump this in with the music threads, though I think this deserves its own topic for consistency between thread posts.

What videogame sound effects have stuck with you?

One that I'm quite fond of is the noise that plays in Pokemon when you bump against a wall. It just sounds so right.

The purity of the Super Mario Galaxy 1UP Mushroom sound effect sounds great, too, especially compared to Super Mario Sunshine.

I tend to dislike it when sound effects are reused in games of the same series with different atmospheres, though. It felt wrong that Minish Cap reused GBC sound effects for its text and menu selections, for example, and the same goes for Skyward Sword using Twilight Princess' "heart collection" sound.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptySun 7 Jul 2013 - 13:56

Am I allowed to mention the noise that's made when you turn a Game Boy on? Nothing got the nostalgia flowing as much as hearing it again when I downloaded Kirby's Dream Land from the 3DS eShop.

If not - and I totally have now, so, ner - the noise when you jump on a Goomba in Super Mario Bros, or the noise when you land on a Yoshi in Super Mario World. I once tried to write it down and came up with "Dzwit-jish". These days, I feel that 'd' shouldn't be there. Duh!
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptySun 7 Jul 2013 - 13:59

Absolutely! I'd forgotten about system sounds, That Game Boy chime is so pure. Was made a bit Sonic Ring-like at the end of the GBA's boot up noise, mind.

I only just realised that the sound the Goombas make when you jump on them (and they turn to coins) on Super Mario Galaxy is the 'modern' version of that Goomba stomping sound effect of old. Mind=blown.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptySun 7 Jul 2013 - 14:38

And cue the Pokémon growls. Mewtwo's eight-note diddle diddle diddle diddle is a favourite, but you've got to love Snorlax's. "Bu-dum"!

Here's the first 151: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvZzyN4-1gM
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptySun 7 Jul 2013 - 15:24

Speaking of Pokémon, when you go for a catch, you throw the pokéball, and

Buu-omb.

Buu-omb.

Buu-omb.

Then silence. A perfectly-timed chunk of nothingness. It's just a hair longer than the silence if the pokémon breaks free- only marginally, but perceptably. Noticably.

You know that it's gone on for longer than it should, you know that means you've got a catch- but you don't accept it. It's not told you yet. It could still break free.

You stare at the motionless pokéball. Time stretches out into infinity.

Day follows night follows day follows night.

Fashion trends come and go.

Civilizations rise and fall.

Beards grow, are shaved, and subsequently re-grow.

And then... *click* dee de deee, dede dedede de deeeeeeee

And relax.

The best sound in games isn't a sound at all, but a fraction of a second of silence.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptySun 7 Jul 2013 - 16:59

beemoh wrote:
Speaking of Pokémon, when you go for a catch, you throw the pokéball, and

Buu-omb.

Buu-omb.

Buu-omb.

Then silence. A perfectly-timed chunk of nothingness. It's just a hair longer than the silence if the pokémon breaks free- only marginally, but perceptably. Noticably.

You know that it's gone on for longer than it should, you know that means you've got a catch- but you don't accept it. It's not told you yet. It could still break free.

You stare at the motionless pokéball. Time stretches out into infinity.

Day follows night follows day follows night.

Fashion trends come and go.

Civilizations rise and fall.

Beards grow, are shaved, and subsequently re-grow.

And then... *click* dee de deee, dede dedede de deeeeeeee

And relax.

The best sound in games isn't a sound at all, but a fraction of a second of silence.

Most entertaining piece of writing I've read in the past week. Bravo to you, Sir.

On a related note, I agree entirely. I'm glad they haven't 'modernised' that sound effect, either, wouldn't sound right to hear the realistic sound of plastic/metal(?) Pokeball clanging on grass/gravel/whatever.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptyMon 8 Jul 2013 - 0:56

I always loved this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxOEPBO4OqA
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptyMon 8 Jul 2013 - 1:22

Any low health jingle - instant feelings of stress. This in particular was most stressful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptyMon 8 Jul 2013 - 7:17

Right, time for some Zelda.

Then...

Unrelated...

Brr.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptyMon 8 Jul 2013 - 13:12

Can't seem to Yeah or Favourite or Like beemoh's post. Drat, for it was awesome. Meh
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptyThu 11 Jul 2013 - 22:15

Balladeer wrote:
Right, time for some Zelda.

Then...

Unrelated...

Brr.
Oh, thanks. Now I'm not going to be able to sleep.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptyThu 11 Jul 2013 - 22:25

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptyFri 12 Jul 2013 - 7:58

Let's have some adorable sounds to counteract the scaryness.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread EmptyFri 12 Jul 2013 - 19:23

Hiiiiii.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Videogame Sound Effects thread   Videogame Sound Effects thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Videogame Sound Effects thread
Page 1 of 1