We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)

Go down 
+10
Treesmurf
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
oldschool
shanks
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
beemoh
Balladeer
Athrun888
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 33  Next
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 Jul 2013 - 18:40

Indeed, and a sour century it will be to watch if I'm honest.  I'm fine with losing fairly, but after what's gone on it's turned the match rather sour.

That said I'm still not ruling Australia out.  Agar reversed it last time and if our Batsman actually fire this time (and Cowan stops throwing his wicket away like an amateur, and if you want to know why I have contempt for him in particular watch this) this match isn't unnwinable just yet.  If Australia gets England out by Lunch tomorrow they've still got a chance, however some frankly unsportsmanlike antics have dampened them a fair bit along with the mood.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 Jul 2013 - 19:05

We lost Trott, possibly unfairly. One all. Stop yer moanin'. Nah nah! 

I jest, I do. But that's why the appeal system exists. Broad should face action, nonetheless, but had Clarke been more conservative he could have done something about it.

Anyway, we'll see. But if I see with more confidence than you do, I'll understand why. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 4:46

Balladeer wrote:
With you there (on the unpredictability: not sure about the 300).  I'm not a big sports lover: in fact I think we've had this discussion before.  Yet I am loving this.

oldschool wrote:
This is one of those parts of the game I like - it's unpredictability.

It's looking like my prediction is going to be fairly accurate. Australia will have at least 300 to chase and that won't happen. Expect Australia to be out for 200, maybe 250 and a solid win for England.

It is unfortunate that cricket is no longer the gentleman's sport it once was. It was once the honourable thing to do, to walk, when you were obviously out, regardless of the umpire. That was one of the aspects that made cricket a unique sport. Now, greed has become, like everything in life, paramount. I would rather be rememebred as a player that observed the spirit of the rules and game, not side with technicality. It plagues all countries, not just this one incident.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 10:18

Such is the world of professional sports. Ho hum. Looking forward to today!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 10:54

You know wrestling is fixed and not real, i thought cricket was the same now Nah nah! 
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 11:59

masofdas wrote:
You know wrestling is fixed and not real, i thought cricket was the same now Nah nah! 

It is only fixed in the sub-continent Cool 
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 12:16

If only Ian had been the last man out. Bang go all the "bell end" jokes.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 12:24

I'm still sore over Bell's bad sportsmanship, but thankfully England is out now. I still think Australia can take this, but only if they all fire and only if they take it slowly and carefully. They do have enough time to win this, so the only question is if they have the skill to stay in long enough. On paper they certainly should, but given how reckless they were in the first innings this is far from over.

One way or the other today is going to be a great day to watch. Day four and this match is still anybody's match, this is what I like to see.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 12:34

I'm not convinced.  Also it was Broad with the sportsmanship problem, not Bell!  Bell just played well.

Come on Jimmy...
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 12:48

Woops, oh well then congrats would be in order for the Century then.  

And I'm not completely convinced myself, but after Agar and Hughes innings I refuse to rule out Australia.  If those two could pull Australia to 285 then imagine what could happen if the actual batsmen got some strong partnerships going.  It only takes a couple of them to fire properly and this match can be won, and 285 isn't exactly all that much lower than 311 runs.

EDIT: Aw yeah, Watson and Rogers have dug in big time and the score is 68 for no wickets.  Now this is what we need to win!  Go Australia!  Grin

EDIT 2: Oh goody, Watson is out.  That means Cowan is up next.  Well, I suppose seeing him make yet another amateur mistake could be fun in a morbid way.  Meh

lol, wtf was that? He almost did the same thing again! Laughing 

Last edited by Athrun888 on Sat 13 Jul 2013 - 14:52; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Commenting on current state again)
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 15:45

I see what you mean about Cowan. Laughing Still, Australia are more in this match than I'd thought.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 16:02

Yep, and the sad thing is that's one of the best performances I've seen from Cowan too.  Ah well, now Clarke is in, if he can get his eye in this could go pretty badly for England if Rogers remains a solid rock to keep things stable for Clarke.

EDIT: And Rogers finally falls. England's done a good job bringing the run rate down to a crawl and putting the pressure on ever since Watson went I will say.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 16:33

That's a relief. Two biggies in now: possibly the most likely partnership remaining? Then again, Hughes... I'll admit, I'm worried.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 16:45

Don't forget that Stevens chap showed some promise in the first innings.

Edit: Damn, Clarke's out.  The barest of snicks on the bat, but it was there for sure and walk he must after a review.

EDIT 2: Double Damn, now they're on a blasted hat trick!

Last edited by Athrun888 on Sat 13 Jul 2013 - 17:41; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 17:42

And Smith! Dance Momentum shifts again... (Ninja-ed.)
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 17:46

We've still got Hughes and Haddin however, so this isn't over until one of them gets out. Possibly both given our bowlers can bat a bit, and Agar seems to be a batsman in disguise. That said this is not looking good for Australia, in the space of three minutes the tide has completely turned against them now.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 17:54

...ahem? Winky Face fatladysinging.gif
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 17:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 17:55

Laughing Well played.

Right, I've got half an hour to compose.  Got to try and drag myself away from the embers of the day for a bit.

New day EDIT: You join me just as the man known informally as Mr. Jellicent is Anderson-ed.  It was tense there, just for a bit.  (Now watch Siddle score a century...)

Haddin hasn't haddit yet though.

Half-century EDITEDIT: He really hasn't.  What are you doing, chaps?  Take Finn off, he's rubbish, and gettemout.  Pattinson if you can't bowl Haddin. Shades of Edgebaston linger in the corner of the eye...
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySun 14 Jul 2013 - 13:10

Dang, I wake up and find Australia is still fighting for this.  I still don't think we're going to win, but this is what I like about Australia, even when things seem completely over they still put up a fight and produce stuff like this.

EDIT: Ouch, England really messed up that chance for a run out, and with only 28 runs left they really can't afford that.

EDIT2: Ooh, and now they've messed up what would have been a fine catch.  I'm enjoying this, it's fun seeing Australia giving them a heart attack for their inevitable win.

EDIT3: lol, you know England is desperate when they try to steal time by taking off his boot.  Fitting little cheap stunt by mister Broad.  

EDIT4: Ahahaha, and instead the umpire just said we'll have another Over anyway, no letting him get away with that little trick.

EDIT5: And it's over.  England launched a appeal over what it seemed they didn't actually think was out and hotspot showed the barest of what might have been a mark, and the audio showed a distinct clip, and so Haddin was out.  

At the end of the day both teams deserved to win, a great match where either could have been the victor and it bodes well for the rest of the series.  In the mean time congratulations go to England for winning, and a better luck next time to Australia.

Last edited by Athrun888 on Sun 14 Jul 2013 - 14:34; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptySun 14 Jul 2013 - 14:37

What a match!  Who says test cricket is dead?  Truly, one of the greatest sporting contests out there.  Kudos to the Aussies (well, some of them) for their play, kudos to the English (well, some of them) for their play, and kudos to Matt Prior for going up to commiserate with the Australians at the end.  Reverse-sledging.  Nice.  The question now: will Agar or Jimmy get man of the match?

Now, can we have Finn to join Compton on the pile please?  Get rid of him and Cowan, and you'd have two fairly good teams.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 1:28

Australia did better than I expected, but as they normally do, they failed when chasing a target. At least it was close which makes it a whole lot more interesting. Well done, the parent can still beat the child Cool 
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 1:43

oldschool wrote:
Well done, the parent can still beat the child Cool 

"...and the cricket wasn't too bad, either."
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 14:33

Hah, I heard on the news a little while ago Australia is thinking of making some changes to its batting.  Will this finally be the end of Cowan?  One can only hope.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Jul 2013 - 13:50

And to make the relevant post in the relevant thread, actually Australia did lose because of misuse of the Review system and I will never contest that. The scoreline was incredibly tight and if they had used their reviews just a little bit better to save a key batsman or get a key wicket they could very well have won that. Like their batting it's an area they need to improve on in the future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)   General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Cricket Thread (It's Come Home)
Page 3 of 33Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 33  Next