Where We're Squashed Under The Weight Of eShop Releases

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  SONMSONM  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude   Mon 25 Sep 2017 - 20:30

The man practically farts money. The second-most populous country in the world thinks he's practically a god. I doubt he cares what I think of him.

(Actually he'd probably be angry if he knew, but since he seems to be a hair-trigger away from RAEG at all times, that's not saying much.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
ZeroJones
Hero of Time

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude   Mon 25 Sep 2017 - 20:35

Righteous Anger Exploding Generally?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude   Thu 28 Sep 2017 - 19:24

So... Thoughts?

True, we don't exactly have the full story, but I must say it isn't the greatest look.

Is it a safe bet to say the thread'll be seeing a lot more of that reaction shot over the course of the looming Ashes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude   Thu 28 Sep 2017 - 19:35

At this stage I'm just hoping it isn't quite as bad as it looks, but then this is Ben 'The Locker Had it Coming' Stokes we're talking about here.  The correct reaction to it, though, is the same as that to the England squad announcement:

Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude   Sat 7 Oct 2017 - 10:49

So, Stokes confirmed not on the flight to Australia. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude   Sun 8 Oct 2017 - 19:08

He's a very good player, but it's not the make-or-break that sections of the media seem to be treating it as. Shift Moe to six, Jonny to seven, and Woakes to eight and that's still a very strong lower-middle order. It doesn't give any rooms for injuries, but it works as is.

What's more worrying, much more so, is the person they've chosen to fix him. If they'd chosen Plunkett I might even have been tempted to view this as a positive; however, Steven Finn is at this point largely trading off past glories, with pace and confidence down. In a series where every pacer picked is almost guaranteed to get a game, that's a bad sign. Albeit probably no worse than Jake Ball. Definitely no worse than James Vince.

Any thoughts from Down Under?
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude   Mon 9 Oct 2017 - 16:19

I'm not as informed on the English player pool as I am the Australian pool, but I'll be honest in that I feel anyone seriously writing England off because of the Stokes affair is being very foolish (to use polite terminology). They're bringing some proper talent over, and all of the names I recognise on their squad are capable of winning matches when they perform. It is of course a bit fun to stir the pot though.

On the Australian side of things we're not that crash-hot right now either, if anything I'd say things are sounding fairly similar to last Ashes in that both teams are having form slumps. With that said it could mean another race to see who can play the worst, or it could just result in some evenly pitted matches (hopefully the latter). I'd give us the advantage of course, Lyon is on smashing form right now and of course there's the ever-present power of an at-home pace attack. The batters will, as usual, be the weak-point in the team, the newcomers haven't really finished cooking yet so I expect some weakness there, leaving us as usual depending on Warner and Smith to reach big totals. Still Ashes are always in favour of the home team for a reason, and our batting lineup was even worse last Australian ashes yet the boys brought home the urn (or rather a certain fast bowler who has since retired brought home the urn).

There was talk of Shaun Marsh being put into the team, hopefully it was nothing more than a media beat-up though. When in recent times has putting either of the Marsh brothers in the test team worked out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude   Mon 9 Oct 2017 - 19:10

I dunno: Renshaw, Khawaja, and Handscomb all seem handy at home.  Especially compared to Stoneman, Malan, and James Chuffing Vince abroad.  Cartwright and Wade more dubious, but I doubt Australia will need a Haddin to save them every first innings this time.  Broad's three years older and out of form.

Shaun Marsh would be hilarious. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude   Wed 11 Oct 2017 - 12:27

To be fair Khawaja has been floating around for a few years now and isn't really someone I'd consider a newbie, if he has a summer even remotely like the last one though he'll be big danger to England sure enough. Renshaw still doesn't seem to have mastered the art of turning long periods at the crease into big scores, and Handscomb is more of the unreliable type of batsman. Our aces are the same as usual, Smith and Warner, and as usual I expect that to bite the boys in the backside a bit.

With that said if Renshaw and Handscomb do do well this series then I'd say England will be well and truly outclassed. Right now things seem a bit even in terms of batsmen quality imo, with Root evening out Smith and Warner getting a bit unreliable, but if the other two find form like you suspect they might then, well, things won't be looking pretty for the tourists.

I swear if either of the Marsh's get in you won't be the only user of that reaction image. Surprised
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude   Wed 11 Oct 2017 - 19:35

Who'd you play at six then? Maxwell?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude   

Back to top Go down

General Cricket Thread - Ashes in Prelude
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 30 of 30Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30