We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Over rated / Under rated Games

Go down 
+20
The Christ
shanks
Vidofnir
Treesmurf
fronkhead
Rum
beemoh
Cube
ZeroJones
NintenDUCK
Jimbob
The_Jaster
Balladeer
Athrun888
The Cappuccino Kid
Dusty Knackers
Crumpy Andy
JayMoyles
Buskalilly
masofdas
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Over rated / Under rated Games Empty
PostSubject: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptySat 27 Jul 2013 - 22:20

So i put up the topic about lengths off games, andy's reply about journey was this
andyman949 wrote:
I would say it was pretty expensive for what it was. The most overrated game of all time, even more so than Skyrim!
. So is there any game or games you think are over rated or even under (appreciated) rated.

Personally I think these are over rated:

GTA Series, I've played most of them and can see the appeal to people but to me everything is rubbish story, shooting, etc only time I've ever had fun if i go over a mates and play it for 10mins just messing around and that's it. The trailer of V did look interesting but can't see me buying / trying till a big price drop.

Half Life Series, This might just be due to the time when i played them but to me a good game should be ageless. When the 1st was released on PC i was playing on my PS1, and didn't play in till the PS2 port which i didn't like (I own a version of the 1st on my dreamcast). Pretty much the same with the 2nd, i didn't play till the orange box which everyone was telling hoe great it is because it' got 5 games for £40. Problem i had with the 2nd is when you went into a car you just saw the steering wheel nothing else like hands, it took me out of the experience. But was still pleased with the orange box due to portal which i did even rebuy on xbla but never finished again.

Metroid Prime Series, I just don't like it I don't know why I just don't maybe as i've never really played any of the series. have bought Super Metroid on Wii U VC but i don't know when i'll ever play is a different question. I do like the metroidvania genre though.4

Under Rated:

Catherine, it's got a brilliant story which is different, great anime cut scenes, replay value with the 8 endings PLAY IT.

Dust An Elysian Tail, a metroidvania type game with cute animals and cool art style.

Enslaved, Ninja Theory's 2nd big game which was also a commercial flop but actually is very good, also another game with a decent story.

So what about you guy's?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptySat 27 Jul 2013 - 23:12

King Kong for Nintendo DS.

You might think I'm extracting the urine, but no, I'm dead serious. Every word I've ever read about this game slags it off but I thoroughly enjoyed it. A simple but effective little FPS, with dinosaurs. Then on top of that, fun sections where you play as King Kong. Not perfect, not as good as the big home console version, not very long, but standard 60% stuff. A purchase I was entirely satisfied with.

So why did every publication give it 15-25%? Seriously, what is everyone's beef?

Not underrated because it was so good, but because everyone said it was so bad.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptySat 27 Jul 2013 - 23:15

masofdas wrote:

Half Life Series

To be fair, the first one hasn't aged well, and they're far better on PC than on consoles. I think the Half-Life series is an above-average first-person shooter that sublimely melds together story and gameplay. No other FPS is as good at storytelling then Half-Life, but there are many better at gameplay in my eyes.

Over-rated in my eyes (this won't be popular) is Animal Crossing. Just isn't for me - it's whimsical, sure, but the appeal of watering plants and fishing just isn't there for me. It's pretty empty to me, and I just couldn't get into it. I can't see it being a game of the year like so many have lauded it to be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptySat 27 Jul 2013 - 23:29

masofdas wrote:
GTA Series

I actually agree there. I've had some larking about causing chaos but I cannot invested in any game where I play as a baddy. I can't finish Transformers games as Decepticons and I got completely removed from Assassin's Creed because of how blasé it all was about death.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptySun 28 Jul 2013 - 0:14

I've only played GTA IV and Chinatown wars but I found GTA IV to be a masterpiece of a game. The world was amazing, I liked the story, I didn't think Nico was a random evil bastard. I hate just messing around solo in those kinds of games so to me the main storyline was everything and it was great. I think the praise is bang on for it.

I can't agree with Mas's Metroid stand point either. Metroid Prime is one of my fondest gamecube memories. It was so tough for me at the time but the worlds and the upgrades are just fantastic. I can't say I feel so passionately about 2 but 1 is no doubt a masterpiece.

I'm not sure if Catherine is under rated as much as it's just not all that popular. It's an obscure game as you need to like the puzzling style, the weird story and the weird style.

Enslaved I didn't think was rated that poorly. It wasn't rated amazingly highly but it was pretty rough around the edges. The uncharted style platforming slaps you in the face even more than Uncharted and the combat was good but not great.

Other games I think are overrated include:

Bastion: An OK game with a somewhat interesting voice over.
Skyrim: A nice world to explore but pretty awful and repetitive combat. First Person melee just doesn't really work, that's why Fallout is so much better.
Borderlands: It's fun in co-op but the story is naff, it's pretty ugly and the gameplay isn't even that good. I could not have dragged myself through the game solo, it's all about the banter.
Tales of: The combat system is pretty naff in the 3 I've tried. I'd play through them but combat is such a chore.

Underrated:
Duke Nukem Forever: Sure it wasn't what people wanted and the humour is bad but the shooting was fun and it was a refreshing change from more modern shooters.
Prince of Persia (2008): It gave you infinite lives and they messed with the formula but it was a fun game from start to finish and even collecting all the tears wasn't that bad.

That's your lot for now but I've got plenty more where these came from!

Back to top Go down
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptySun 28 Jul 2013 - 1:58

JayMoyles wrote:
Over-rated in my eyes (this won't be popular) is Animal Crossing. Just isn't for me - it's whimsical, sure, but the appeal of watering plants and fishing just isn't there for me. It's pretty empty to me, and I just couldn't get into it. I can't see it being a game of the year like so many have lauded it to be.

(Jay disappeared minutes after this post was written, he was never heard from again)
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptySun 28 Jul 2013 - 11:23

sporkhead mentioned on Twitter the other day that he'd be interested in hearing about my views about Yoshi's Story, as he remembered that I was quite fond of it. I am, and consider it to be perhaps the most underrated game I've played.

It's not the most vast game on N64, nor the inventive and exhilarating, but it's still one of the most downright playable. It's got tons of those tiny, intricate things that make a game great - there's many really impressive touches that you can find in the music, the visuals, the animation and just through exploring the place. I've never really agreed that it's a piece of piss either. Yeah, it's easy to complete and see the credits, but a substantial, points-based challange lies underneath the suface. Maybe I'm biased towards it (I played it long before Yoshi's Island), but I think Story is a really smart, likeable game. I'd have much preferred Yoshi's New Story to Yoshi's New Island, which already looks old hat, six months before it's release.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptySun 28 Jul 2013 - 13:24

I shall bring out the big names for what I consider overrated.  I expect some major disagreement from pretty much everyone on some of my picks for overrated.

Overrated

Final Fantasy VII
I can see why this would be considered a solid enough game back when it came out, however I just don't feel it has aged well nor do I think it is worthy of the high acclaim it receives.  The graphics were naff even for its time, the music while bold in composition is rather let down by the limitations of its era, the battle system was the same old same old ATB system from the SNES days (which I have always felt was lame and worse than normal turn based), and the plot was no more "amazing" than the average jrpg.  

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Yes, I just said one of the Galaxy games.  I loved this game, it was a real blast.  However I do not for one second think it worthy of the amount of praise it gets.  My reasons for that are rather simple, the level progression of the game was very very poorly done.  More often than not I was forced in to levels I frankly wanted to never bother with simply because I was a star short of a level I did want to play.  This led to me feeling the game was bogged down and slow.

The second major reason was that the original felt new, fresh, something exciting awaited me at every turn.  That wasn't present in the sequel.  It was just more of the same.  And while that same was masterful, it did take the bloom off of it for me.  

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Ah Skyrim, where do I start with you?  Well, since I have to start somewhere I'll start with the basic problem I have with this game.  The gameplay, to put it very very bluntly, is shit.  Combat mostly revolves around doing the same sort of boring melee if you use melee weapons, with impacts that lack any sort of satisfying punch (except, oddly enough, when someone blocks the blow on a shield, which is why I often preferred having my enemies do nothing but block as it was more satisfying to smash their shield than it was to slash them to pieces), and magic casting while being fun for a little while gets rather old once you've been doing it for a while.

The level design in the game was also rather poor.  To be sure it was better than the downright laughable dungeon design found in Oblivion, but it still felt like if you had seen five dungeons you had seen the whole lot of them.  Then there's the "story", which was honestly both so poor and so unimpressive I literally forgot it was there.  But not because I was so busy in the world, I just forgot it was there because it lacked any sort of presence whatsoever.  

Then the big problem.  They give you this big wide world to roam about in and do whatever, but most of it felt like the same five to ten things copied and pasted over and over and over and over again to make up the world.  As a result nothing actually felt rewarding and the world might as well not have even existed.  

If I was to describe Skyrim in a single word it would be medicore.  How this game got downright insane praise from critics and gamers alike is beyond me, it seems even more uninspired than flipping Pokemon.  

Underrated

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
I see this game get mentioned so infrequently, and I honestly can't see why.  This game is easily one of the hidden gems of the PS2 era.  Stunning graphics and art direction, fantastic music, engaging and rewarding battle system, and a pretty good plot to wrap it all up.  

Eh, that's about all I got for underrated actually.  Meh
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptySun 28 Jul 2013 - 22:19

Dusty Knackers wrote:
JayMoyles wrote:

(Jay disappeared minutes after this post was written, he was never heard from again)

GUYS HELP DUSTY HAS ME IN HIS HOUSE HE'S MAKING ME PAY HIS DEBTS BY DIGGING FOR FOSSILS PLEASE SOMEO-

animal crossing is still crappy in my eyes
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013 - 7:07

After last week's voting thread, I feel the need to put New Super Mario Bros. in as overrated. It may not have been done to death at the time: not only has it been since, it wasn't that great to begin with. Solid, yet thoroughly unambitious. Doesn't help that the last "proper" 2D Mario platformer before it was SMW, either.

Does Meteos belong in the underrated category? Darling of critics, it sold about two copies.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013 - 7:41

Overrated

Kid Icarus Uprising - This for me is praised way too highly, no doubt that its a good game but for me it falls short with the needlessly awkward controls. (for the land sections)

Underrated

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3d - One of the best score attack games I've ever played with great online MP as well, folk kicked up way too much of a fuss over not being able to delete your save file back at its launch.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013 - 9:00

Me saying about enslaved,  actually I change that to the studio Ninja Theory.  As all 3 games I know of have been commercial flops or ragged on.

Heavenly Sword was called at the time of goddess of war, and didn't sell well as when it came out due to the fact of how little the PS3 was selling bit like zombiu on the wii u. HS was actually really good of what i remember graphics, the voice acting especially thanks to andy serkis, even the six axis stuff (remember when studios tried using it) and story wasn't bad.

Enslaved, I want to talk about this about more as now thinking about it. The game you played as a male character also voiced by andy serkis, with a younger female character joining you who knows nothing but this post-apocalyptic world with cars over-grown cars etc. All played out as a 3rd person action game, with a interesting story. All sounds rather similar to another game that came out recently but does have some silly moments though.

DmC: Devil May Cry, Hated by the DMC fans due to Dante being replaced. I've played most of the DMC games and finished 3, 4, DmC. I thought DmC was really good but comes back to my same thought as resident evil 5 & 6 there just called that to help sell them, i think capcom was trying the same with DmC but it back fired if DmC was called The Demon Slayer it might of sold more as a new IP.

I have another over-rated game Fallout 3 - New Vegas, I loved Bethesda's morrowind and oblivion so when i saw a game by them kinda similar but as a FPS. I'm all over that I bought the lunch box edition of fallout 3, had a week off as well played for about 10hrs and hated it.

And if andyman likes a game it seems i don't like it or vice-versa.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013 - 11:32

The_Jaster wrote:

Underrated

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3d - One of the best score attack games I've ever played with great online MP as well, folk kicked up way too much of a fuss over not being able to delete your save file back at its launch.

I'd have definitely but that in the overrated category a year ago, but then I'm horribly biased against it as I traded in about half-a-dozen good Wii games to pay for it at full price on launch. Simply put, I found it to be a really stingy package. At least it's found it's natural home on the eShop at under a tenner now.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013 - 13:33

I feel like jumping to the defence of an apparently overrated game.  I don't think I need to do Metroid Prime, because Mas acknowledges that he's never played it fully.

Athrun888 wrote:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Yes, I just said one of the Galaxy games.  I loved this game, it was a real blast.  However I do not for one second think it worthy of the amount of praise it gets.  My reasons for that are rather simple, the level progression of the game was very very poorly done.  More often than not I was forced in to levels I frankly wanted to never bother with simply because I was a star short of a level I did want to play.  This led to me feeling the game was bogged down and slow.

The second major reason was that the original felt new, fresh, something exciting awaited me at every turn.  That wasn't present in the sequel.  It was just more of the same.  And while that same was masterful, it did take the bloom off of it for me.  

Maybe this is me being a completionist, who therefore got everything when he needed to; or maybe I just found the levels so well designed (like most); but I was never in the position you describe.  In fact, it felt less bogged down and slow, due to the replacement of the dull empty hub by the smaller, and not even necessary that often, Faceship.  As for the freshness, that's not really fair: the game was released second, and it introduced a lot of new ideas considering that.  

While I love KIU and AC:NL, I can't really defend them.  Enjoying KIU relies on "getting" the land control scheme, or even dealing with it to the extent that you can enjoy things regardless; if you can't do that, of course you won't enjoy it.  I didn't think it was that hard to "get", but there you go.  And AC:NL is a time sink, that arguably stops being actually "enjoyable" a couple of days in.  You'll still have little moments of glee when you catch a new fish/bug at the start of every month, but that's all.  Having lost my 3DS, and as such my town, I can't say that I miss Styx as much as I do Pi'illo Island or Evershade Valley.

And here's another couple.  (The voting weeks are great for flushing these out.)

Over: Solatorobo for the DS, because it has any fans at all despite its combat being more boring than Drill Mario, its text being more long-winded than Hurricane John, and the game as a whole being easier than an inappropriate and sexist comparison.

Under: Muramasa for the Wii.  A great little action game with brilliant combat, especially the bosses.  The whole aesthetic style was utterly charming as well.  Nobody bought it in the west, however: no doubt it "looked too Japanese."
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013 - 15:01

Underrated: Hydroventure, and Hydroventure: Spin Cycle. Hardly saw anyone give these two the praise they deserved, very fine games.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013 - 18:00

Phillips wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:

Underrated

I'd have definitely but that in the overrated category a year ago, but then I'm horribly biased against it as I traded in about half-a-dozen good Wii games to pay for it at full price on launch. Simply put, I found it to be a really stingy package. At least it's found it's natural home on the eShop at under a tenner now.

Aye in terms of content it really shouldn't have been full price & its one if those games that shine brightest when played with another person.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013 - 18:24

masofdas wrote:
DmC: Devil May Cry, Hated by the DMC fans due to Dante being replaced. I've played most of the DMC games and finished 3, 4, DmC. I thought DmC was really good but comes back to my same thought as resident evil 5 & 6 there just called that to help sell them, i think capcom was trying the same with DmC but it back fired if DmC was called The Demon Slayer it might of sold more as a new IP.

Definitely agree here. Stripping away the difficulty and changing the character was sacrilege in the eyes of many Devil May Cry fans, but it was needed to appeal to a wider demographic.

masofdas wrote:
I have another over-rated game Fallout 3 - New Vegas, I loved Bethesda's morrowind and oblivion so when i saw a game by them kinda similar but as a FPS. I'm all over that I bought the lunch box edition of fallout 3, had a week off as well played for about 10hrs and hated it. 

Elaborate here - you're one of the only people I've ever heard that dislikes FO3. I loved that game to bits, put in around 100 hours or so into it.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013 - 18:33

Fallout took a while to click with me as it's not the prettiest game and it can be rock solid but after a few tries (and a change of difficulty later) I fell in love with the game.

My problem with Ninja Theory is still that their combat is very rough around the edges and that was another massive worry by the fans of DMC. It's always fun but just not very deep and certainly gives nowhere near the same options with style combos that DMC offers. I've not played the reboot yet though so I can't comment. I'm looking forward to trying it regardless.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013 - 21:16

Like I said i played Fallout 3 for 10hrs as i wanted to like it and seeing i payed £60 want to get my moneys worth, but never clicked like with GTA series everything seems muh. I can understand why people like it but just not for me which is weird as i like Bethesda's other games, same with Rockstar.

I never had a problem with combat / gameplay in any ninja theory game, if i had to rank DMC series
1. Devil May Cry 3
2. DmC
3. Devil May Cry 4
4. Devil May Cry
5. Devil May Cry 2
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyWed 31 Jul 2013 - 0:13

Overrated: Boom Blox. Pretending to throw something but not actually throwing it, in order for the game to throw something, is not fun, and potentially harmful to your health. Please do not make an entire game built around this. I love the blocky style and the level editor, but otherwise,no.

Underrated: GASP. The more I think about it, I really liked creating a fighter.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyWed 31 Jul 2013 - 12:47

Buskalilly wrote:
King Kong for Nintendo DS.

You might think I'm extracting the urine, but no, I'm dead serious. Every word I've ever read about this game slags it off but I thoroughly enjoyed it. A simple but effective little FPS, with dinosaurs. Then on top of that, fun sections where you play as King Kong. Not perfect, not as good as the big home console version, not very long, but standard 60% stuff. A purchase I was entirely satisfied with.

So why did every publication give it 15-25%? Seriously, what is everyone's beef?

Not underrated because it was so good, but because everyone said it was so bad.

Busklilly wrote:
Why did every publication give it 15-25%?

Because it's horrible, in fact here's gamespot's opinion: "This poor excuse of a first-person shooter is so bad that other developers should study it and use it as a guide for what to avoid when putting together similar games in the future."

I'm sorry but in my opinion it's anything but underrated.

If you want a game that is underrated look no further than Lunar: Genesis/Dragon Song. This game got an awful lot of mixed reviews according to metacritic and I just cannot think why. The Graphics are good and the story is full of twists and the end is genuinely a surprise. The only flaws I can think of is that running drained your health (No, really) and you had to go through every boss fight for a second time before you could face the final boss. But the combat system was simple and enjoyable enough to make such things less than unbearable. Easily worthy of 70+ scores but got very few of them. *sigh* oh well.
Back to top Go down
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyThu 1 Aug 2013 - 2:13

Jimbob wrote:
Overrated: Boom Blox.

I'd go along with this. I couldn't make out why everyone raved about it.

Also, MySims.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyMon 12 Aug 2013 - 22:34

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/12/game-scoop-the-most-overrated-games

They've done our thread but in video form.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyTue 13 Aug 2013 - 0:39

Dusty Knackers wrote:
Jimbob wrote:
Overrated: Boom Blox.
I'd go along with this. I couldn't make out why everyone raved about it.

Also, MySims.
I can't recall a time that I'd seen anyone with a bad thing to say about Boom Blox before this thread. I'd agree in that I personally overrated it in the sense that I thought it was the best thing ever for a time, but it's a smart, hard-working game nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games EmptyTue 13 Aug 2013 - 10:48

My under-rated game is Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes Of Light. It's not amazing by any stretch and it will only appeal to gamers who enjoy the old-school menu-driven RPG style, where you get little direction as to what to do next. That about sums me up, so I felt the 55% NGamer gave it was harsh.

My over-rated game at the moment is Nintendo Land. As a solo player for the vast majority of the time the fun to be had is minimal at best. Aww!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games Empty

Back to top Go down

Over rated / Under rated Games
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next