Mario Tory Party: Peach gets an 8-10 die, the rest of you plebs get 1-3

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  SONMSONM  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What are you reading Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Hero of Time

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Mon 10 Apr 2017 - 15:59

I think it's going to work much better as a film then as a book. Rather than devoting pages to describing the layout of an 80s reference filled bedroom, a simple pan across some shelves filled with games or posters on the wall will accomplish that just fine. Couple that with the fact that Spielberg is at the helm and it should work out fine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Mani Mani Statue

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Mon 10 Apr 2017 - 17:23

@ Buska

I loved Ready player one so that's sad to hear that didn't enjoy it all that much, perhaps the constant recommendations for you to read it subconsciously put you off before you started it? Or maybe it just hasn't aged all that well in the last 6 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drunkalilly
Orne

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Mon 10 Apr 2017 - 22:04

Little from column a, little from column b. I also think anything that references a lot of other great works like that invites itself to be compared to them, unfortunately.
Like I said, once it got going I didn't hate it, and if the things that bothered me aren't as annoying to someone else I can see why it would be up there.

I'm also not really in the right mood to read about capitalist dystopian futures right now, seeing as we're living in one Laughing Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.gintendo.co.uk
The_Jaster
Mani Mani Statue

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Tue 11 Apr 2017 - 1:10

Laughing Fair enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Tue 18 Apr 2017 - 14:47

Been a while and I've finished two books in that time.  Daggerspell, book one of the Deverry saga, a reread of my first foray into the genre and adult fiction way back when.  Long story short the story follows an almost-immortal magician (Dweomer Master to use the in-universe terminology) and three constantly reincarnating souls after he played a pivotal role in screwing up their destinies in an earlier life that saw him cursed to immortality after vowing to never rest until he set it right.  The series likes to take a rather unique route of telling the story, covering the past lives as they become relevant to the current ones, and its use of reincarnation is a key feature that sets it apart from your typical fantasy settings.  While a decent read the series starts to really get in to the mojo of things from book 2, this one was a lot of set-up with a smaller scale conflict.  

The second being the first book in the two-novel omnibus Theft of Swords, The Crown Conspiracy.  This one was a ton of fun, a couple of unlikely heroes in the form of a mercenary and a thief duo end up dragged in to a conspiracy involving the royalty of the region, much swashbuckling adventuring ensues.   The relationship and banter of the grumpy Royce and affable Hadrian keeps things entertaining throughout and they have excellent chemistry.  This book's an easy recommendation for anybody after a swashbuckling fun adventure that don't want to feel like they need to go on suicide watch afterwards, it may not exactly set the world on fire with an original setting (but lets be honest here, sometimes a traditional fantasy setting with a few unique tweaks is just what the doctor ordered) but boy is it a fun ride.  The second story so far gets even better too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drunkalilly
Orne

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Tue 18 Apr 2017 - 14:50

The first of those sounds interesting, but the second sounds like exactly what the doctor ordered. Fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.gintendo.co.uk
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Sat 22 Apr 2017 - 11:07

And indeed it was!  Brushed off the second story in Theft of Swords, Avempartha.  The tone was still light for most of the story although the storm on the horizon is now starting to come in to clearer focus.

The story this time took a nice contrast to the first one.  Where the first story dealt with the dealings and treachery of a grand conspiracy this one instead dealt with a small village under attack from a monster.  What sounds like a small affair soon becomes something far bigger however, and the story ends with what is best described as an avalanche of awesome.  

Overall the book was an absolute blast and I cannot wait for the next instalment, Nyphron Rising.  The name alone has me all kinds of hyped considering the conclusion of Avempartha.  It's safe to say my recommendation of the series has only strengthened after concluding the book.  

The wait for book depository to get me the rest of the series is going to be painful.  In the meantime I'll probably read the second part of The Deverry Cycle, Darkspell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   

Back to top Go down

What are you reading Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10