We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you reading Thread

Go down 
+20
oldschool
Jimbob
Kornel
Rum
Vidofnir
Admin
masofdas
2grundies
JayMoyles
NintenDUCK
Axis1500
Cube
Crumpy Andy
ZeroJones
LikesVideoGames
shanks
Buskalilly
beemoh
Balladeer
Athrun888
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

What are you reading Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 Jan 2014 - 7:58

Bump!  I read the new Discworld book, Raising Steam.  Only Pratchett is capable of making me laugh/giggle quite that much from the pages of a book, although the pacing seemed off to me and the final confrontation was disappointing.  He seems to agree with the consensus that Sam Vimes is great and much better than Moist von Lipwig, so Sam gets plenty of page-time.

I also read Inversions recently, by the late Iain Banks.  Spoilt utterly by the number of dei ex machina it pulls.  "But they make sense within the context of the series!" I hear the fans cry. Great, except it wasn't clearly put within the context of the series (this being done mostly through in-jokes), and it doesn't stop them from seeming contrived.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Jan 2014 - 20:56

Just read the 1st three scott pilgrim books, reckon I will have all 6 done by tonight.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Jan 2014 - 21:17

Still this thread.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Jan 2014 - 22:07

masofdas wrote:
Just read the 1st three scott pilgrim books, reckon I will have all 6 done by tonight.

mate, they're the bomb. read the FUCK out of them

anyhoo, I'm finally re-reading Dune. I'm 100 pages in. Its ace.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Jan 2014 - 7:10

masofdas wrote:

They're better than the film - oddly touching too, towards the end.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Jan 2014 - 9:51

Another Scott Pilgrim fan here. Not so much Dune, as we've discussed, although the first one was all right.

I can't believe nobody else here has read Raising Steam! And you call yourselves geeks. Naughty 
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Jan 2014 - 11:17

I still haven't read any prachett, but I think the time is near. I'm done with my book, so I'll start posting that off soon then I won't be worried about subconsciously plagiarizing.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Jan 2014 - 14:28

I'm just about done with the Hunger Games trilogy. I've read them in next to no time and I've enjoyed them, even if I don't think they're as earth-shattering as everyone else. Mockingjay is my favourite up to this point.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Jan 2014 - 18:17

I'm slogging through the Charlie Brooker book I mentioned a while ago (I Can Make You Hate) so that I can move on to either the next Skulduggery Pleasant book or The Cuckoo's Calling.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Jan 2014 - 18:20

I never manged to read all 6 in one sitting, I read 4 of them though. Really enjoyed so far that I'm considering picking up lost at sea and get into more of this type stuff. I can't be bothered with a proper book of just walls of text or with manga but any recommendations like scott would be great.

Update
now read the last 2 books, amazing. It's to stay if there better then the film as the film came out only a few months after the last book and takes a while to film etc. So I can give them some leeway to change it slightly and try to stay true to the source material unlike other films.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014 - 2:00

Not exactly reading, but I'm listening to Piers Anthony - On A Pale Horse

which I got very cheaply as part of the Humble AudioBook Bundle. (That counts, right?)

https://www.humblebundle.com/
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014 - 15:51

Given the barrenness of the thread, I think anything vaguely literary counts. Any good, it and its companions? The Satanic Verses is the only one out of those I've heard of.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 2:29

Reading "The Maze Runner."
I really enjoyed The Hunger Games and wanted something similar, plus I wanted to be aware of the plot before the movie adaptation arrives later this year.

As for the audiobook of "A Pale Horse", I really didn't go much on it. But, hey, at least it was cheap.
There's another Humble eBook bundle out now, which might be worth a look. https://www.humblebundle.com/
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 15:05

Ultimate Spider-man volume 3. Volume 2 was a fun read with spidey learning how his various powers actually work while getting his backside kicked until finally getting the hang of it and making his first true takedown. It also had ultimate Kingpin so it gets props for that. As for volume 3, I've been taking it slow so far, only now getting near the end. Kraven the hunter makes his ultimate debut alongside Doc Ock, so far it's been another fun volume with some great action. I'm looking forward to the next issue in it, the stage has been set for a proper fight between Otto and Spidey now.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 17:06

It's The Cuckoo's Calling for me. I want to read it as soon as, because I've got The House Of Silk on my Kindle (the contemporarily written Sherlock Holmes novel ('contemporarily' is so a word)).
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 20:14

I will probably give cuckoos calling a go soon. Currently reading the second Dune book. It's not all that
The last book I read, however, was Never Coming Back by the powerful Tim Weaver. Has anyone else enjoyed his work yet?
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 21:21

I just read a book called 'Quiet' by Susan Cain, its a brilliant and recent novel about introversion and extroversion which is a great read for those interested in psychology or sociology.

For those who like 'Game of Thrones' I would highly recommend the series 'The Malazan Book Of The Fallen" by Steven Erikson. I cannot stress how much more I have enjoyed the plot which is more intricate and intriguing than the aforementioned work of George R.R Martin. Plus! The books are all completed to my knowledge so there isn't the risk the author will conk it before finishing their books  Sulk .

Axis1500 wrote:
Reading "The Maze Runner."
I really enjoyed The Hunger Games and wanted something similar./

If you liked The Hunger Games you should read 'The Long Road' (may be something similar) by Stephen King. Actually just read all of Stephen King, he pretty much inspired the Hunger Games anyway.

That is all I have read recently  Bounce .
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 21:33

Odd one, but if you enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy, read the Tripods trilogy. I'm not sure what it is, but the feel of it was very similar, the progression of it... give it a read!
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 1:50

Finished "The Maze Runner".
It's not as good as "The Hunger Games" and starts off annoyingly slowly, but really picks up the pace after the halfway mark. It also seems to be more of a kids' book.

The first half suffers from:
"Why did I wake up in this mysterious maze with monsters attacking me?!"
"Stop asking questions!!!!!!"

By the end, I did enjoy it though, and will read the sequel.

Vidofnir wrote:

If you liked The Hunger Games you should read 'The Long Road' (may be something similar) by Stephen King. Actually just read all of Stephen King, he pretty much inspired the Hunger Games anyway.

Yes, I've heard of that, but thanks for the tip! It is on my reading list!
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptySat 5 Apr 2014 - 1:22

Double post! I'm now reading The Scorch Trials... The second book in the Maze Runner series. If these books were video games, it would be the Zero Escape (VLR/999) series. A bunch of kids put in a mysterious place, surrounded by lethal traps, in order to achieve some unknown, higher goal.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 15 Apr 2014 - 2:15

Now reading the third book in the Maze Runner series - The Death Cure. Its the conclusion to the trilogy, and so far I'm not impressed. There's some truly contrived plot twists that just make you shake your head and the characters act like morons. It might get better (I hope it does), but the last half has some way to go to mitigate what I've read so far.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 15 Apr 2014 - 12:28

To break the chain of Axis posts: The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky (vol. 1).  

The thing I like about ol' Fyodor is that unlike many of the other cultural greats, he doesn't seem massively up himself.  He doesn't designate entire chapters to his own philosophy, or try and write a self-insert that is boring in every way (Tolstoy, looking at you here).  He realises that characters come first and philosophy/ideas second.  And his self-deprecating introduction made me giggle.  Enjoying it so far, although I'm not very far in.

EDIT: Nope, wrong. He's just introduced the third brother: a Marty Stu named after his dead son. Oh Fyodor, I used to respect you.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 21 Apr 2014 - 1:25

Finished the Maze Runner series. Basically, the first book is the best, and every book after that is worse. The final book was the most disappointing and had very little to do with anything at all. Very overrated IMO.

Moving on to Divergent now, which is yet another Dystopian novel series that's apparently Hunger Games-esque.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 28 Apr 2014 - 12:05

More Ultimate Spider-man, finally up to volume 19, Death of a Goblin.  18 was really good fun, with the plot being that Daredevil forms a alliance between six of the underworld vigilante super heroes to all team up to try and take out kingpin, with disastrous results when one of them snitches to fisk.  18 also finished Mark Bagley's run which was really great, his style really went well with the series, I'll miss his work.  So far Stuart Immonen is looking like a good fit and replacement, I'm enjoying his green goblin action sequences.  

Also there were some serious feels with the last issue in 18 with all that talk of bright futures, given
Large spoilers:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 28 Apr 2014 - 14:32

I'm reading the first of 4 volumes of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. For a six hundred year old Chinese novel about historical events that were more than a thousand years old at the time, it reads quite well. Plus I'm hoping it will improve my enjoyment of the Dynasty Warriors games.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you reading Thread
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next