'It was a dark and stormy night when she drove into my office, doing three front-flips and screaming 'NICE SHOT!''

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  SONMSONM  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What are you reading Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Tenderloin Minimise

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Fri 20 Oct 2017 - 20:04

Athrun888 wrote:
Currently reading Guards! Guards! from the Discworld series.  Only fifty or so pages in so far, but I'm absolutely loving the scenes with the brotherhood.  

I need to get back into Discworld. I read the first few books years and years ago, but never got around to the rest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Sun 22 Oct 2017 - 15:34

That one is a must-read in my eyes, one of my favourite novels and series. How did you find it, Athers?

I did read Hydrogen Sonata a while back. It was definitely harder to sympathise with the giant AI spaceship thingies. I found it tough even to envisage them for most of the time. Player of Games was a good one, though. Not read Use of Weapons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Drunkalilly
Pokémon Master

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Sun 22 Oct 2017 - 23:42

Balladeer wrote:
I did read Hydrogen Sonata a while back.  It was definitely harder to sympathise with the giant AI spaceship thingies.  I found it tough even to envisage them for most of the time.

I didn't find that an issue, but I love robots and spaceships and stuff. Also, I spend a large part of my life talking to friends who are just words on a screen whom I can barely envisage. . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.gintendo.co.uk
ZeroJones
Tenderloin Minimise

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 8:01

Drunkalilly wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
I did read Hydrogen Sonata a while back.  It was definitely harder to sympathise with the giant AI spaceship thingies.  I found it tough even to envisage them for most of the time.

I didn't find that an issue, but I love robots and spaceships and stuff. Also, I spend a large part of my life talking to friends who are just words on a screen whom I can barely envisage. . .

I wouldn't do that if I were you, Dave Drunka.

On a more topic-related note, I've finished Career Of Evil (and, disappointingly, sort of guessed what was going on) and put my bookmark* in Les Misérables. Now that is a tome. Pale

*A receipt. For a book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 16:04

Balladeer wrote:
That one is a must-read in my eyes, one of my favourite novels and series.  How did you find it, Athers?.

Yeah t'was a good 'un.  Once the Dragon returned to Ankh Morpork under its own power things were non-stop laughs for a while, particularly loved the "business lunch" of the various guild leaders and Wonse.  If anyone's after a good re-entry point I'd definitely recommend Guards! Guards!

Currently reading Throne of Jade from the Temeraire series.  Looks like we're headed to China soon, seems they weren't too happy about one of their premier dragon eggs being nicked by a common-born navy captain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 19:24

Huzzah! Another fan made! Grin
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Drunkalilly
Pokémon Master

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 7:38

Just finished Japan: A Short History by Mikiso Hane.
I read a similar book a few years back, covering the broad subject of the whole country, but retained very little information. This one was really well written, dividing each era into social, economic and political developments. It also did a great job of telling the stories of how common folk lived, and how women and minorities were treated. I feel like I now have not only an overview of the actual events in Japan's history, but also the cultural identity and the beliefs that lead to those events.

It did do the same annoying thing as that earlier book, though: Everything from 10,000bc to around 1800 is covered in the first 60 or so pages, then the next couple hundred are given over to more recent history. This means the Samurai and so on are glossed over pretty quick. I understand that the last couple of hundred years have seen big changes which shaped the modern nation, and more recent history is better sourced, but still.

I have bought some other books in a similar vein though, and among them are ones specifically about the samurai and the ninja, so I'll get to that soon enough Smile
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Wed 1 Nov 2017 - 17:57

The second book of the Temeraire series, Throne of Jade.  

I've seen some call this one slow, boring, and other such degenerate remarks about its slow pacing.  Personally I found it engaging and interesting, action is all good and well but unless it's contrasted with quality character and world development it ain't worth a pig's fart.  Both of those were crammed into the book, with the voyage bringing some quality character growth for Temeraire, and both during and after the voyage saw some quality world building of the best kind: the kind that both expanded the world, leaves a lot open for future stories, and also has an immediate impact on character growth and interaction.  

Overall another impeccable novel.  Laurence and Temeraire continue to have fantastic chemistry and engaging character growth, the action continues to be exciting when it pops up, and the adventure continues to be a blast.  

Now I had planned to follow this up with another Discworld novel, specifically Wee Free Men, but ever since I got home from holiday its gone missing and I fear it may be lost.  Lost or thoroughly mislaid.  So instead I'm jumping straight into the next Temeraire novel Black Powder War, time for the fallout of the trip to China which I can already see looming given the explosive conclusion of Throne of Jade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Mon 6 Nov 2017 - 14:00

Black Powder War finished, and what an excellent novel this one was. Packed with adventure, war, and mysteries, the journey back from China was jam packed. From mischievous feral dragon packs to traitorous ally nations there wasn't a dull moment, but at the same time the book never felt too fast paced, allowing us to savour each development.

Haven't decided what to read next, Wee Free Men seems to definitely be lost (I begin to suspect I threw it in the trash while doing some cleaning while under the influence of the flu) so I suspect it's time for Discworld's Going Postal to break up the epic fantasy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drunkalilly
Pokémon Master

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Thu 9 Nov 2017 - 9:53

Just finished I Am Missing the seventh (I think) in the David Raker mystery novels by ex NGC editor Tim Weaver. These are really good, addictive, tense crime thrillers about a dude who finds missing people. On this occasion, the fella wasn't missing but had lost all of his memories.

Amnesia as a plot device is hella overplayed, especially if you play games, but here it was handled well. Not the best in the series, but our NGamer boy continues to make good. Recommended!

Edit: It was the eighth book!
Back to top Go down
Drunkalilly
Pokémon Master

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Tue 14 Nov 2017 - 9:56

I'm gonna talk about something I didn't read: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. And I'm so glad I didn't! I saw it on stage this weekend and it was absolutely phenomenal. The magic, the sets, the music, the emotion, it was probably the best theatrical production I've ever seen. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, I cannot recommend strongly enough going to see this play, and doing so with as little prior knowledge as possible.

JayMoyles wrote:
I rattled through Harry Potter and the Cursed Child over a couple of days. Naturally, you'd be better off experiencing it as intended on stage, and I think it'll translate very well to the stage based on the script. There's moments of cloying theatre cheese, but in general it's a surprisingly sad look at Harry's later years. Some of it does read like fan fiction though, but as it's come from the creator herself, I can't fault that.

I can agree with most of what Jay's saying.
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Tue 14 Nov 2017 - 10:30

'Member when I said I wasn't going to read another epic fantasy just yet?  Well I lied, and devoured the last two hundred pages of Book 1 of The Dagger and The Coin: The Dragon's Path this morning.  

This one'd appeal to those who like a more grounded fantasy, and it did something that, at least in my admittedly humble excursions in the genre, isn't typically done.  That is to say it focused not on epic struggles between pure evil and good, with over the top magic and so on and so forth.  No, instead the main focus was on banking.  

Yes, you heard that damn right, the book focused on banking.  And it was bloody brilliant stuff.  In the real world wars are fought over money, territory, and other such matters, and like the real world that was the trigger for a heck of a lot of the conflict in this.  

That isn't to say it was a dull book, or that we didn't also have a magical history, oh no, not for a second.  Fascinating character portrayals left me turning each page to see where the four protagonists were headed and what would happen next, and the political intrigue kept building until I couldn't put the book down.  With the reveals of the last few chapters I eagerly await the next volume which I shall order fairly soon.

With all that said there was one other aspect I particularly liked about the book, that despite the grounded setting and story it wasn't grimdark like a lot of grounded stories tend to be.  That isn't to say there weren't heavy or adult themes (an entire town got razed with the people still inside, as well as various other things), but it didn't linger on details that could make things become overly depressing, and so rather than constantly trying to shock the reader it instead left its rather brilliant tale to the job of keeping you reading.

Top tier book, one of the best I've read this year, and while the person who rec'd it to me won't actually see this they have my gratitude for the recommendation.  Definitely an underrated hidden gem this one.

As for Harry Potter, can't really say anything given I'm not a fan of the fact it was only released as a script as opposed to a novelisation and there's next to zero chance I'll ever get the chance to see the play living in the middle of nowhere like I am.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drunkalilly
Pokémon Master

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   Tue 14 Nov 2017 - 10:56

I reckon it'll run and run, and tour a lot of the world, so you might be in good stead. I also wouldn't rule out filmed, televised, novelised versions coming eventually.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   

Back to top Go down

What are you reading Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12