What is a tagline? A miserable pile of words!

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What are you reading Thread (What did you read in 2017?)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread (What did you read in 2017?)   Fri 6 Apr 2018 - 13:43

The Gonne is here and Ankh Morpork has descended into chaos! Carrot has taken the lead in sorting this mess out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Reggie

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread (What did you read in 2017?)   Fri 6 Apr 2018 - 19:26

Dance

JayMoyles wrote:
I must admit I had no idea about Lovecraft's racism, but after reading that (he would hate modern America's melting pot of cultures judging by his description of that pocket of New York) and having a cursory Google search about some of his other works, I'm disappointed to see how much of an out and out racist he was.

Perhaps you might enjoy The Ballad of Black Tom too then, Jay. Not that I've read it yet, so I can't say whether it's good or not, but it's meant to be both an homage to Lovecraft and a fierce rejection of his racism.

My next book club book, The Beach, arrived at the same time as TBoBT. Read it before, thought it alright, unsurprised it got made into a film. Re-reading imminent I suppose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Centurion of Palutena

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread (What did you read in 2017?)   Mon 9 Apr 2018 - 15:58

Balladeer wrote:
Dance

JayMoyles wrote:
I must admit I had no idea about Lovecraft's racism, but after reading that (he would hate modern America's melting pot of cultures judging by his description of that pocket of New York) and having a cursory Google search about some of his other works, I'm disappointed to see how much of an out and out racist he was.

Perhaps you might enjoy The Ballad of Black Tom too then, Jay.  Not that I've read it yet, so I can't say whether it's good or not, but it's meant to be both an homage to Lovecraft and a fierce rejection of his racism.

That sounds like just the ticket. As I said, Lovecraft does existential dread like no other author but it's going to be difficult to read his works in the future without noticing anything that could be a racist allegory. If there's writing out there with that same level of cosmic horror whilst rejecting the racist depiction of "the other" that Lovecraft utilises, then I'm all for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Drunkalilly
Tenderloin Minimise

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread (What did you read in 2017?)   Thu 12 Apr 2018 - 4:30

The Lovecraft issue is an interesting one. It is more apparent in some stories than others, and I can understand difficulty in separating art from artist. I think I'd feel differently if he were alive and writing today, and engaging in his content were funding his beliefs. As it is, he's long dead - in a pauper's grave, unappreciated in his own time - and the problematic elements of his work can be identified and isolated while other aspects can still be enjoyed. If anything, they add to the sensation that this is a seriously troubled, dark mind whose fears do offer some insight into why people are scared of the unknown even today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
Disciple of Reggie

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread (What did you read in 2017?)   Thu 12 Apr 2018 - 21:44

I've never been that good at separating art from artist, but I think I could probably read more Lovecraft. As Drunka says, he's not going to make much more money out of it anyway. It's an interesting history piece.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread (What did you read in 2017?)   

Back to top Go down

What are you reading Thread (What did you read in 2017?)
Page 14 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: GNamer Forum :: Off Topic-
Jump to: