We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread

Go down 
+20
JayMoyles
Kriken
The_Jaster
Gwyn400
Muss
Buskalilly
ZeroJones
Pineapple
flora-chan
Slazo
Axis1500
Sentinator
NintenDUCK
Sylveon
masofdas
beemoh
fronkhead
shanks
Crumpy Andy
Athrun888
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu 12 Jul 2018 - 19:19

Cool I might go for MHA and watch some of the 10 odd episode stuff in-between also I do have Prime as you bring up Netflix in regards to Steins Gate that if something has a related show on Prime, I can go watch.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu 12 Jul 2018 - 19:21

I don't think Prime has a great selection of anime, to be honest - I couldn't name one series that was on there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptyFri 13 Jul 2018 - 9:25

I think it's got one good show at the moment as seen a few people tweet about it but can't remember what it's called.

I was surprised to see no Sailor Moon or Spice & Wolf on Crunchy.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptyFri 13 Jul 2018 - 10:32

Here, have any of you heard of this little manga called One Piece? I may have just read the first fifty chapters in one sitting . . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptyFri 13 Jul 2018 - 21:20

Sounds really niche mate.

Nah, it's scary NJPW wrestler Minoru Suzuki's favourite manga, so it's good by me. He's actually wangled his way into the anime too, I think.

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 One-piece-minoru-suzuki-1072552-1280x0
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySat 14 Jul 2018 - 9:47

I'm also going be one of those guys as I started EP1 of MHA and it's Sub, not Dub. I think that was my issue with Crunchy last time most seems to be Sub unless I'm missing how to change to Dub.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySat 14 Jul 2018 - 11:55

...why would you ever watched dubbed anime anyway? Eh?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySat 14 Jul 2018 - 11:56

As I just find myself reading the subs and not watching what's actually going on, I can't seem to be able to do both.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySat 14 Jul 2018 - 13:37

We're long past the era where dubs meant a butchered poorly acted adaptation of the source material.  If you managed to swallow any of the Xenoblade games or Breath of the Wild you shouldn't have any problem with the average anime dub, and there are plenty that were just as good as the Japanese sub version (Fullmetal Alchemist, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, ect).  

That said I do find myself favouring subs more often than not. Following Attack on Titan as it came out made subs feel the more natural default for anime.

I'll follow Jay's lead and throw my two cents in the ring about choice aspects of the list Mas posted.  

Quote :
Fate/Stay, Zero, Grand Order, kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA, Which Fate thing is first? Fate/Zero is a prequel to the visual novel Fate/Stay Night, which had an anime adaptation a few years ago.  Fate/Zero is great stuff, exuisetly animated and very dark, lots of twists and turns.  Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works is the direct sequel to Fate/Zero, not nearly as dark as its predecessor, the anime adaptation was made in mind of people who had watched Zero first.  I enjoyed it despite it being a far simpler story, still fantastically animated, the fights were basically DBZ with swords.  Plus it tied certain loose ends from Zero up nicely.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? - Tried watching this years back when the anime community was going gaga over it, didn't make it past the first episode.  It was part of the wave of "worlds that act like RPG's" series that Sword Art Online kicked into populairty.  Watch KONOSUBA instead, far better series (and absolutely hilarious).

Full Metal Panic! This seems to have 4 different shows - Yeah, this one's confusing to people who aren't already familiar with it.  The first series is simply called Full Metal Panic, you'll want to start with that one.  The second series, Full Metal Panic Fumofu, is basically a standalone comedy series, and it is well worth a watch because it's absolutely hilarious.  The third series, Full Metal Panic TSR (The Second Raid) is the sequel to the original series, and until recently it was also the worst.  Not because it was bad, but because it's basically Act 1 of the big story that never got animated.  The new series, Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory is the long awaited sequel to TSR and a direct continuation.  I really liked the first series and Fumofu, TSR left a sour taste in my mouth due to how open-ended it was and I haven't had the chance to watch IV yet.

BlazBlue: Alter Memory - A bad poorly animated adaptation of the first two Blazblue games, easily skipped in favour of basically any other series on your list.

Danganronpa, Danganronpa 3 - Absolutely skip these.  The first series is a highly abbrigged version of the visual novel/Ace Attorny-esque game with all of the character development gutted out of it.  Does a snuff-fest series where you don't care about the cast sound appealing?  No?  Skip.  

Danganronpa 3 is even worse, it absolutely defecated on the first two games (even going so far as to remove all stakes the second game had), was awful in its own right, and also HAS to be watched after the first two games.  This is a direct sequel that expects the watchers to have at least played Danganronpa 1 and 2 and preferably the sidestory Ultra Despair Girls.  It was made to conclude the overarcing story (which it did horribly).  

PSYCHO-PASS - This right here is a series I consider a must-watch show.  One of the few series from the early 2010's to stand out, and stands up even today.  A beautifully animated dystopian futuristic thriller, very inspired by Minority Report and the like.  Society has developed technology that can read peoples emotions and aptitudes, the Sybil System.  This system polices the nation helping sort humanity into desirable career paths and protect it from itself, those found to have a high possibility of crime are locked up and either rehabilitated or dealt with.  The story follows fresh detective Akane Tsunemori as she joins a task force of Enforcers (potential criminals put to work as hunting dogs tracking other criminals).  

Also it's unrelated to video games, there was a visual novel prequel thing on the Vita (and PS3 I think) made after the anime came out, but it's completely skipable, the meat of Psycho-pass is the anime.  And if you do watch it don't let Akane put you off, her character goes in some very satisfying directions by the end of season 1.

Dragon Ball Super, Am I right thinking this takes place after DB but before DBZ? - Jay's already said it but I'll also say that it's actually a sequel to Z, set in the intervening years of the defeat of Majin Buu and the epilogue of Z.  The first two arcs are poorly done retellings of the two Z movies Battle of Gods and Resurrection "f" (try watching those instead of the anime's renditions if you can), but after that the series takes off.  If you've seen those two movies you can skip straight to the Universe 6 vs Universe 7 arc without missing anything (besides some atrociously animated fights and 2 hour movies stretched over 13 episodes each).

I'd advise watching Z first, but as Jay said you can start with Super and not have any real trouble.  Plenty of modern kids are growing up with Super after all, and most of us when we were kids started with Z and went back to watch the original Dragon Ball years afterwards.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Haven't watched it despite meaning to, but given how much of a cult following this series has it's likely worth your time.  I've heard you can start at Part 3 (widely considered the best part) as it's apparently a fresh beginning for the series or something.  

Sword Art Online, also the Battle Royale spin-off - Very skippable show, it had some good concepts but essentially failed to capitalise on any of them.  It took off because of waifu's and its high quality animation.  The first arc was serviceable, the second was one of the most offensive things I've seen in a anime that the mainstream liked.  Third arc was best in a popcorn eating way, the fourth arc was the best and one of the few times the show told a very heartfelt story, but by that point you've sat through 32ish episodes.  

Don't get me wrong I'm not part of the hate wagon for the series, it's just it's the definition of well-presented fluff.  There are more pressing and better uses of your time on your list, such as Jojo, Fate/Stay Night, and anything Dragon Ball.  

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 15 Jul 2018 - 11:59

I swallow those voices because there's no alternative! Otherwise I'd definitely have changed XC2 to subs, much though I enjoyed 'THINK YEW KIN TAKE ME!?!?!?!?' Less sure about BotW.

I'm much keener on DR3 than Athrun was, although be aware that it has some utterly miserable bits, and the ending is indeed controversial.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 15 Jul 2018 - 12:11

I know of Psycho-Pass because it has a game, why I put under video game related.

BOTW had awful VO and I've said before I've got no issues playing games in a native language, I think it's because if you go back to SNES/Mega Drive as VO wasn't a thing we had to read everything that I'm used to having to do both.

But for anime or films (why I've still not watched likes of Pan's Labyrinth), I've never had to do that as it's always been in English.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 15 Jul 2018 - 18:22

Athrun888 wrote:

Sword Art Online, also the Battle Royale spin-off - [b]Very skippable show, it had some good concepts but essentially failed to capitalise on any of them.  It took off because of waifu's and its high quality animation.  

Yes. I think a lot of people latched onto this show because of it's animation but also it's theme. It didn't have anything going for it other than that though.

Athrun888 wrote:

The first arc was serviceable, the second was one of the most offensive things I've seen in a anime that the mainstream liked. 

I agree but even so.... Huge understatement! It's such a mess that a Garbador wouldn't be caught within a 10 mile radius of it. The most reactionary, regressive, trash I've ever watched, from my limited pool of anime experience.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 15 Jul 2018 - 18:55

I'm about half way through Steins;Gate and it's really starting to heat up now. It was an incredibly slow burner as the characters are just so... weird, even for an anime, and I was finding it difficult to relate to anybody. But the protagonist has become really likeable over the last few episodes and I'm all in on the premise now. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 15 Jul 2018 - 20:23

mas wrote:
BOTW had awful VO..........

Mas, hating another thing in BotW? Say it isn't so. Afraid :cyclops: Shocked Afraid Shocked :cyclops: Afraid

-----

Anyhow, would it be worth talking about this in here?

https://nintendoeverything.com/monster-hunter-legends-of-the-guild-3d-animated-special-announced/

Last edited by The_Jaster on Sun 15 Jul 2018 - 20:26; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 15 Jul 2018 - 20:24

I'm more surprised (low bar...) at you being in the anime thread Jas! Razz
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 15 Jul 2018 - 20:26

Whilst trying to find dub stuff on Crunchy and seeing it has almost nothing then from Googling, Funimation seems to basically be all about Dub and it's big selling point.

It has less choice but MHA is on it for instance that I'm now more inclined to watch.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 15 Jul 2018 - 20:27

Balladeer wrote:
I'm more surprised (low bar...) at you being in the anime thread Jas! Razz

Laughing fair play but I actually had something to post which I have now edited into my above post.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 15 Jul 2018 - 20:30

Surprised that hasn't been brought up already, as a few anime / monster hunter fans on here.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 15 Jul 2018 - 23:44

The_Jaster wrote:

Anyhow, would it be worth talking about this in here?

https://nintendoeverything.com/monster-hunter-legends-of-the-guild-3d-animated-special-announced/

All over that when it comes around. Thumbs Up!

masofdas wrote:
Whilst trying to find dub stuff on Crunchy and seeing it has almost nothing then from Googling, Funimation seems to basically be all about Dub and it's big selling point.

It has less choice but MHA is on it for instance that I'm now more inclined to watch.

Have we had the dub vs. sub debate in this thread before? Basically, the only dub I can really stomach is Dragon Ball considering that I grew up with it - oh, and the 4Kids stuff like Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh. That's why I've got plenty of mileage out of my Crunchyroll subscription. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 15 Jul 2018 - 23:53

Yeah me and Drunka had that chat before. I would agree Sub is better but it's just not for me for the reasons I've mentioned but it can only be a good thing though as it will get me watching more anime for instance.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 15 Jul 2018 - 23:56

Dubs Dubs Dubs Dubs!

Interesting that you're starting to find Okabe likeable, I always found him to be a bit of a bellend. All about Faris Nyan-Nyan Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 16 Jul 2018 - 0:00

Faris's voice though... brrr. Pale

I thought that at first about Okabe, but I like that he's showing a genuine side to himself when he's been speaking to Kurisu or Mayuri. The mad doctor shtick seems to be a deflection mechanism to avoid having serious conversations.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 16 Jul 2018 - 16:55

Some loser wrote:
Dubs
Some other loser wrote:
Subs

Just learn Japanese, bitches.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed 18 Jul 2018 - 13:42

KURISU BEST GIRL!

*Ahem*  Sorry bout that, but I feel obligated to point this fact out whenever I see god tier series Steins;Gate brought up.  She's tsundere done right (such a rare thing), her general behaviour is likeable and her peevish attitude towards Okabe is always completely deserved.  If only more characters in anime were as well characterised as her and Okabe.  

As for Okabe, liked him from the start.  Can't go into why because spoilers though, but he and Kurisu are up there among my favourite anime characters.  

Aaaaaand now I want to rewatch the series.  

Muss wrote:
Athrun888 wrote:

Sword Art Online, also the Battle Royale spin-off - [b]Very skippable show, it had some good concepts but essentially failed to capitalise on any of them.  It took off because of waifu's and its high quality animation.  

Yes. I think a lot of people latched onto this show because of it's animation but also it's theme. It didn't have anything going for it other than that though.

Athrun888 wrote:

The first arc was serviceable, the second was one of the most offensive things I've seen in a anime that the mainstream liked. 

I agree but even so.... Huge understatement! It's such a mess that a Garbador wouldn't be caught within a 10 mile radius of it. The most reactionary, regressive, trash I've ever watched, from my limited pool of anime experience.

Amen to that.  I've watched ecchi series that were more progressive than the Fairy Dance arc of sao.

Drunkalilly wrote:
Some loser wrote:
Dubs
Some other loser wrote:
Subs

Just learn Japanese, bitches.

That was a really good chance to slip in baka and you missed it!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed 18 Jul 2018 - 16:01

BAKAAAA GAIJIIIIIIINNNNN!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread
Page 13 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 28  Next