We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nintendo Patent Issues

Go down 
+3
beemoh
Balladeer
Solve My Maze
7 posters

Do you use the 3D camera on your 3DS
Yes I do, it's the dogs bollocks.
Nintendo Patent Issues Vote_lcap0%Nintendo Patent Issues Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
No, it's a steaming pile of shite.
Nintendo Patent Issues Vote_lcap25%Nintendo Patent Issues Vote_rcap
 25% [ 2 ]
3D is so old, 4D is the real corker
Nintendo Patent Issues Vote_lcap75%Nintendo Patent Issues Vote_rcap
 75% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
Solve My Maze
Wii U Port
Solve My Maze

Nintendo Patent Issues Empty
PostSubject: Nintendo Patent Issues   Nintendo Patent Issues EmptyWed 8 Jan 2014 - 21:10

I know I've not been around here that much, but that's all about to change and I thought I'd make my first thread on here.
Anyway, Nintendo have lost a court battle for using a patent for the 3D camera lenses on 3DS, so in effect they've got to hand over a massive bill and around £1.80 for every 3DS they sell from now on.

Thoughts on this one? In all honesty I would just drop the 3D camera on it, I can't say I've ever used that feature and if I'm not mistaken you didn't even need it for face raiders. Alternatively, if Nintendo don't want to do a re-design of the console they could keep the dual cameras on the front but not use any of that technical wizardry and code that makes it 3D.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Patent Issues   Nintendo Patent Issues EmptyWed 8 Jan 2014 - 21:14

Oh, was it only for the camera? I thought it was for the whole glasses-free 3D malarkey. Or was that the previous lawsuit? Anyway, I used the camera for Face Raiders for less than an hour and then never again. It's a nice touch, but if Nintendo can release a cheaper 3DS without said camera I don't think they'd be missing much (apart from annoying the otaku who want to ogle Agnès Oblige off Bravely Default positioned in their living rooms).
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Patent Issues   Nintendo Patent Issues EmptyWed 8 Jan 2014 - 21:17

Balladeer wrote:
(apart from annoying the otaku who want to ogle Agnès Oblige off Bravely Default positioned in their living rooms).

You leave Fronkhead out of this.

Anyway, to contribute: I probably wouldn't miss it. That being said, at the Zelda concert last year, I did discover that even in 2D it's a better camera than my phone Sad
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Patent Issues   Nintendo Patent Issues EmptyThu 9 Jan 2014 - 1:22

Only ever used the camera in the first year or so I wouldn't mind if a redesign removed it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Patent Issues   Nintendo Patent Issues EmptyThu 9 Jan 2014 - 8:53

I can't vote in the poll though, because I don't think it's a steaming pile. It's nice to have. I just wouldn't miss it much.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Patent Issues   Nintendo Patent Issues EmptyThu 9 Jan 2014 - 13:33

I'd say to drop it as well from a business standpoint, though I suspect perhaps they haven't dropped it because it might break software compatibility with some games that include AR features?

I wonder if the 3D-ness allows the systems to determine how far objects are away from the 3DS camera. Especially so since they included it in 2DS, which has no 3D slider so anything saved from that camera wouldn't show 3D anyway.

I do like the 3D camera, though, but while we likely all bought a 3DS to some extent for the exciting 3D functionality including the camera, new buyers probably won't be as interested (which is a crying shame).

Thank goodness Nintendo weren't ordered to pay a flat fee, at least, and hopefully they'd have saved as much money per unit by eschewing the AC adapter and charging dock (as well as huge packaging) with XL models.

beemoh wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
(apart from annoying the otaku who want to ogle Agnès Oblige off Bravely Default positioned in their living rooms).

You leave Fronkhead out of this.

Anyway, to contribute: I probably wouldn't miss it. That being said, at the Zelda concert last year, I did discover that even in 2D it's a better camera than my phone Sad

Hey, I don't do that!

Nintendo Patent Issues AnTnIaICMAEDh0T
Back to top Go down
Solve My Maze
Wii U Port
Solve My Maze

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Patent Issues   Nintendo Patent Issues EmptyThu 9 Jan 2014 - 19:07

fronkhead wrote:

Thank goodness Nintendo weren't ordered to pay a flat fee, at least, and hopefully they'd have saved as much money per unit by eschewing the AC adapter and charging dock (as well as huge packaging) with XL models.

That's what I was thinking too, and even if they make a profit of say £45 per unit, them losing £1.80 or so off of that isn't too bad at all since it would technically be a tax write off.
Still though, I wonder what their reaction was to this whole issue. It's lucky the patent owner didn't want say £10 million for it, that would have been a serious blow to them.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Patent Issues   Nintendo Patent Issues EmptyThu 9 Jan 2014 - 21:05

I use the camera quite a lot, but I was over the 3D aspect ages ago. I can't see them removing it or anything, though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Patent Issues   Nintendo Patent Issues EmptyThu 9 Jan 2014 - 21:21

Never used it. It wasn't much of an advert for what the 3DS was capable of, I thought. Take it out and replace it with
N64 GAMES ON THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Patent Issues   Nintendo Patent Issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Nintendo Patent Issues
Page 1 of 1