We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Matthew Castle promoted!

Go down 
+11
Treesmurf
fronkhead
Fancy Fancy
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
shanks
beemoh
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
Balladeer
Axis1500
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

Matthew Castle promoted! Empty
PostSubject: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyFri 10 Jan 2014 - 13:35

He's now the editor of ONM. Congratulations!  Dance 
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyFri 10 Jan 2014 - 13:37

Sniff. Anyway, as I said there,
Balladeer wrote:
Chandra Nair is stepping down as Editor of ONM.  There is a miniscule chance that he or one of his colleagues might be reading this, and if so I'm sure he's a lovely chap, but... this might make me pick up a couple of issues of the magazine.  I didn't really like his writing, while I loved that of the recently promoted Castle, and not only like Mr. Skrebels', but also though that he did a good job on the CVG podcasts.  So... yep.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyFri 10 Jan 2014 - 13:45

I'm glad he's moving up the ranks but I doubt it will make me read gaming magazines anymore. Sad
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyFri 10 Jan 2014 - 13:50

That is full-on excellent news. Dance The last few weeks I'd been wondering if I should cancel my ONM subscription or not; now I won't.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyFri 10 Jan 2014 - 15:05

Congratulations, Mr Castle! May this magazine last more than five minutes.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyFri 10 Jan 2014 - 15:22

Maybe I should hound him as to why there is no more Aus ONM
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyFri 10 Jan 2014 - 15:53

Top news. Congrats are in order for Matthew Castle - his writing was very probably the greatest thing about NGamer/Nintendo Gamer, and it's good to hear that he's carried on that fine form onto ONM.

I didn't think Chandra Nair did a bad job at all. Like Jaster, I'm probably just done with games magazines. No real, specific reason why, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyFri 10 Jan 2014 - 16:36

I still buy it anyway. I didn't even dislike Nair. That being said, I've got a lot of time for Matthew and Joe so I'm happy to see them promoted.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Fancy Fancy
FMK Tagline
Fancy Fancy

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyFri 10 Jan 2014 - 19:01

Congrats to Matthew. Don't like the magazine though, even at £3 for 3 issues.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptySat 11 Jan 2014 - 23:39

Excellent news! The Castle's writing would tempt me back, but alas like with the rest I think I'm done with games magazines. My loo time's now spent gaming rather than magazine reading, which is a tad annoying as I used to read back issues of NGC before then.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyWed 15 Jan 2014 - 2:08

I always thought he was editor...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyWed 15 Jan 2014 - 5:59

Matthew was 'associate editor', whilst Chandra was 'editor-in-chief'. I don't quite know what those mean, but it meant Chandra was in charge.
Back to top Go down
Fancy Fancy
FMK Tagline
Fancy Fancy

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyWed 15 Jan 2014 - 11:07

I still subscribe to the rather excellent Retro Gamer & the pretty good Games tm. All on cheap subscriptions of course.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyWed 15 Jan 2014 - 21:25

I've got to admit it took a little while to warm to Chandra - probably his main problem is that he's too much of, as The Tick would put it, an "attractive, successful person", and his reviews use I instead of We - also, during the NGC/NGamer years he wrote for "the competition". Now that things have merged (OH GOD, THAT MAKES NGAMER = SEGA) I appreciate he's a nice guy - certianly the ONM podcasts proved this. And he's Nintendo through and through. Good luck to him, and congrats to Matthew and Joe.

(Having said that, there's a lot of "TBA" in the latest ONM - I know they're getting a Staff Writer, but could there still be an Editor-In-Chief? As long as it's not Lee Nutter again; the sterile robot who described the explanation to close NGamer as a "focus on digital-based strategies", Matthew had to write a letter to us all to desperately undo the damage and sound like a human)

Wow, that got a bit ranty.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyWed 15 Jan 2014 - 22:59

When you look at a picture of Chandra, you imagine someone really different from how he actually comes across on the podcast etc. But I'm glad to see Matthew doing well, his writings made NGamer for me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyWed 15 Jan 2014 - 23:35

I seem to remember Chandra being a bit less of a pillock when he wrote for Cube. Maybe the power went to his head.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyThu 16 Jan 2014 - 0:25

I used to like Chandra Nair until two minutes ago, when I found out through his LinkedIn profile that he was the manager of a computer games shop when he was a teenager. Jealous. Not as jealous of his hair, mind.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyThu 16 Jan 2014 - 0:44

ZeroJones wrote:
Matthew was 'associate editor', whilst Chandra was 'editor-in-chief'. I don't quite know what those mean, but it meant Chandra was in charge.
Ahh, it's confusing because NGamer always had a faceless editor-in-chief so you seem to forget.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Zaphod_B
Wonderful
Zaphod_B

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyWed 22 Jan 2014 - 11:02

Not only is he leaving, but they are hiring (I though give the recent culling of staff at Future Publishing they might run basically a 2 man mag for a sec!). I liked Chandra Nair ( his out-going piece, para. 4 onwards, on how recently people have obsess with the numbers and sales and the fun is buried from games journalist and readers really hit the nail on the head for me), but I really didn't get on with his writing, particularly in reviews. It tended towards just saying what the game was, and definitely lacked the...je ne sais quoi of the N64-Ngamer magazines, that intangible sense of fun.

I think it said he's going to work for Nintendo UK, which could be interesting...
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyWed 22 Jan 2014 - 11:03

Zaphod_B wrote:
I think it said he's going to work for Nintendo UK, which could be interesting...

If Chandra's Hair doens't become a hat in Streetpass Quest 3 I'm boycotting the company.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyWed 22 Jan 2014 - 12:47

beemoh wrote:
Zaphod_B wrote:

If Chandra's Hair doens't become a hat in Streetpass Quest 3 I'm boycotting the company.

Given Greener devised the stars catalogue during his time at Nintendo UK (or at least it was joked in the magazine), I expect a Chandra wig on there now.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyWed 22 Jan 2014 - 18:43

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
I used to like Chandra Nair until two minutes ago, when I found out through his LinkedIn profile that he was the manager of a computer games shop when he was a teenager. Jealous. Not as jealous of his hair, mind.

I ran a games shop kinda when I was a kid.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptyFri 24 Jan 2014 - 22:49

Zaphod_B wrote:
Not only is he leaving, but they are hiring (I though give the recent culling of staff at Future Publishing they might run basically a 2 man mag for a sec!). I liked Chandra Nair ( his out-going piece, para. 4 onwards, on how recently people have obsess with the numbers and sales and the fun is buried from games journalist and readers really hit the nail on the head for me), but I really didn't get on with his writing, particularly in reviews. It tended towards just saying what the game was, and definitely lacked the...je ne sais quoi of the N64-Ngamer magazines, that intangible sense of fun.

Nintendo seem to do this a lot. NoA snapped up Richard and Audrey from IGN's Nintendo team... The former editor of NintendoLife now works at NoE, etc....
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! EmptySun 26 Jan 2014 - 13:25

I had an ONM sub bought for my 30th birthday and I'll admit that I've enjoyed reading it every month. It's great that Matthew is now the top man, as I won't miss Chandra and his cringeworthy visage.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Castle promoted!   Matthew Castle promoted! Empty

Back to top Go down

Matthew Castle promoted!
Page 1 of 1