We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? Empty
PostSubject: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptyFri 21 Feb 2014 - 12:07

With the new mario kart around the corner I figured it's high time I stopped being a complete dinosaur and got an hd tv (followed later by a wii u), problem is I'm a complete dunce when it comes to new technology at the best of times and know not the first thing about hd tvs.  The short question is, how would this tv go for gaming?  link

The long question(s), what resolution is best for gaming on a ps3 and wii u?  What sort of size is appropriate for someone who's seat is between 2 and 3 meters from the tv?  Is "game mode" standard in tvs by samsung, sony, and panosonic? Does this "game mode" result in no input lag whatsoever?

I think that about covers what I want to know.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptyFri 21 Feb 2014 - 17:51

That TV has a refresh rate of 50hz, not even 60hz and is only 720p you might as well stick to your old TV. To me that's a obsolete TV before you even buy it.

I never use the game mode, I've got mine set on custom dynamic settings.

What's the budget $600, if you could get to $700 this looks a better buy as it's 100hz (which is still laughable) and is 1080p.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptyFri 21 Feb 2014 - 19:14

The budget is 500$ at absolute most and preferably lower, but if that's not enough to get a half decent hd tv nowadays I think I just won't bother after all. I may waste my money on lots of small useless things that add up to large amounts but I can't justify any more than that for a simple tv.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptyFri 21 Feb 2014 - 20:06

I'd say it depends on how fussed you are about the quality of your graphics. If you're just looking for something that can play in HD then you can easily get a HDTV in your budget without bothering about refresh rates and so on.

I picked up a little HD monitor on the cheap so I could play my 360 games in HD and hook my laptop up to it as well. Looks good, it's not SD, sorted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptySat 22 Feb 2014 - 11:33

Hmm, while graphics themselves don't bother me a huge amount having zero input lag is something I'd be willing to pay more for as it's my primary concern about hd tvs and the main reason I've waited so long to get one.  While I can't justify spending a large amount of money up front perhaps renting a higher quality set is an option.  How would this choice be?  link
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptySat 22 Feb 2014 - 18:02

Why are TV's so expensive down under, even that one in that last link is still muh.

Amazon seem to have some good TVs around $500, from my search. I don't know names of your equivalent of curry's or something in the UK to see a bigger range

@Jay it's 2014 though not 2004. TV should be 1080p and at least 600hz standard now.

As with your budget you could get this in the UK
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptySat 22 Feb 2014 - 19:58

Why do tvs cost so much here? I ask myself that question about practically everything.  Laughing Really it's because australia is so far away from everywhere else on the earth they can act as if that justifies extortionate prices for lackluster products, and because you can't shop anywhere else because of the aforementioned distance from the rest of the world they get away with it.

I think I'll go back to my previous stance of giving up. I'm sick to death of pricing in this country being complete shit, if they're going to price tvs that I'd expect to pay 800$ at absolute maximum at over 2000$ I'm going to say fuck going hd and send my money elsewhere in other industries. Why is it almost all the time I want to support this nations economy and they give me every reason to not buy anything besides food here?  Meh 
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptySat 22 Feb 2014 - 20:03

But if TV was made in China your 200 miles closer then the UK is and if it was made in japan or something your even closer.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptySat 22 Feb 2014 - 21:34

masofdas wrote:

@Jay it's 2014 though not 2004. TV should be 1080p and at least 600hz standard now.

I'm pretty sure we've had a discussion like this before and this came up - I'm honestly not fussed about refresh rates or anything like that. If I can play my games in HD then I'm sorted. I don't want to, nor will I spend lots on a TV. TVs have never been important pieces of kit for me, mainly because they drop in price so rapidly as more and more tech comes out. Why would I drop upwards of a grand on a TV that'd only be "redundant" a year down the line?

But, that's just because keeping up with the latest TVs isn't for me. Power to you if that's your shtick.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 11:18

That's why I spent top dollar on my TV, so it won't be redundant after a year maybe 3 and by then 4k comes down in price and is around the £1500 mark and that again won't become redundant for a good few years in till 8k comes down in price and so on. I see it kinda like how people with new cars change about every 3 years.

As to me the TV has always been the most important thing as that's what you will spend most of your time looking at.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 12:21

masofdas wrote:
But if TV was made in China your 200 miles closer then the UK is and if it was made in japan or something your even closer.

There are other factors as well, it costs money to ship them to either the uk or Australia, but there is a larger market in the uk compared to australia so it costs less for them overall.  Or at least that's what I gather is the reason.  

Anyhow, after much umming and aaing and debating whether to give up I've decided to just get this and damn the consequences.  If it ends up being meh I'll upgrade it in one and a half years according to the rental terms and if it ends up being what I'm after I'll keep it, it's hd, it has a game mode and all the pretty terms sound like it won't have noticeable input lag, and at that rental rate it doesn't make me feel it's unjustified.

Thanks for the input, I may not have taken any direct recommendations but bouncing ideas around helped me decide what I wanted to do, so thanks for the help from both of you.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 15:02

Glad of helped, also that it was jay & me the ones to reply as we have completely different opinions which hopefully has made you make the right decision.

Last edited by masofdas on Sun 23 Feb 2014 - 16:20; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 16:17

Aye, mirroring Mas's thoughts, glad to have helped!  Grin 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?   Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming? Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice for finding a good hdtv for gaming?
Page 1 of 1